Give us back 1.03 visuals!

+
Give us back 1.03 visuals!

So, what I noticed after installing patch 1.04:

- Shimmering and extreme aliasing all over the place.
- Terrain textures lowered ( in particular ground textures between grass)
- Shadows are "grainy", like in TW2

Overall, the graphics are a lot worse than 1.03 version.

Please CD Project, allow us to choose to revert back to 1.03 settings.

(GTX 980 , 1080p , ultra preset.)

Last edited:
The graphics look worse, I get 5-10 less FPS in some places where I used to get a completely stable 60, and my 970 runs 5-10 C hotter than 1.03.

I will NEVER install a patch again until I wait to see what it does to the game. I installed 1.04, then played for a couple of hours. Now if I want to reinstall and go back to 1.03 I lose all the saves I made in 1.04.

FML.

I've noticed the draw distance seems to have been reduced too, set to high the tall grass around white orchard in the fields is only appearing like 20 foot away, certainly wasn't like that in 1.03. Even on ultra it's popping up a lot closer than before.

Yep, 1.04 is a huge disappointment! Graphics look worse, Keybindings still don't work and Lootscreen fills half your screen now. The Game definitly got worse!
And on Steam you can't even go back to 1.03 :(

Just sent a ticket to support, I invite all of you to do the same. Game was perfect with 1.03.... don't know why they did this mess.

I'd rather they rolled the entire game back to 1.02 - No npc pop-in issues !! I cant even clear a bandit camp anymore because the game only shows 1 out of 20 npcs.

Mekc

Forum regular
So, what I noticed after installing patch 1.04:

- Shimmering and extreme aliasing all over the place.
- Terrain textures lowered ( in particular ground textures between grass)
- Shadows are "grainy", like in TW2

Overall, the graphics are a lot worse than 1.03 version.

Please CD Project, allow us to choose to revert back to 1.03 settings.

(GTX 980 , 1080p , ultra preset.)

Agree. I have double GTX 670 - was playing high/ultra with no problems and decent graphics on 1.03 version. Now FPS dropped down and graphic quality is strange in rain or snow.

Curious, my v1.04 runs flawless as usual. I have AMD R9 270x with HairWorks disabled. Have you tried to disable it too?

screenshots comparison, its very hard to make exact same shots, btw i dont see any difrence

v1.03

v1.04

Attachments

• witcher3_2015_05_25_14_26_53_167.jpg
    witcher3_2015_05_25_14_26_53_167.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 70
  • witcher3_2015_05_26_12_34_27_170.jpg
    witcher3_2015_05_26_12_34_27_170.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
actually, if you go in your graphic setting menu you notice that texture quality is puted on LOW, you can change that back on ultra. its happen after every patch..

Unfortunately those shots aren't really at the best angle, If I'm coming back from the ruined houses around the well back toward the main village you get a good angle downhill and there are some large fields of wheat that are definitely popping up closer than before, sometimes literally just appearing in an instant instead of fading in. The grass on the ground as you can see in your shots doesn't seem to have been affected much.

screenshots comparison, its very hard to make exact same shots, btw i dont see any difrence

v1.03

v1.04
You need to look at LOD to see a difference. Buildings for instance look much much worse now when viewed from a distance.

Aye I think it is more to do with LOD, for example the cart you come across right at the beginning where it's attacked by the Griffin. I ran off to find it and the thing is invisible until Im only 100 metres or so away from it now, before on 1.03 it was there as plain to see for at least twice that range.

Probably also why the fields of wheat around white orchard are affected as they fade in at a similar range while I can clearly see shrubs and grass beyond them.

@bouncedk

Screenshots cannot show what we are talking about, there are aliasing and shimmering/ texture flickering issues wich cannot be seen in a static image, but only in movement.

@bouncedk

Screenshots cannot show what we are talking about, there are aliasing and shimmering/ texture flickering issues wich cannot be seen in a static image, but only in movement.
LOD is very visable in screenshots. Baron's castle for instance, looks like pure garbage now. Looked awesome before, but sadly I cannot roll back updates as I have the steam version.

Ths whole patch was a mess. Inferior performance and visuals. My card temps also have spiked for some reason (as have others).

Not happy at all, I feel like a literal beta tester for consoles right now

I strongly suggest everyone to send a ticket to support, just to make sure they know the problem!

---------- Updated at 05:47 PM ----------

From the NEOGAF Witcher 3 pc performance thread:

Originally Posted by Allnamestakenlol

1.04 introduced a lot of pop-in for me. NPC's and light sources fade in much closer now, and distant foliage lod pop is much more noticeable. Anyone else getting this? Still have everything on ultra (hairworks off).
Yes and it's awful.

Check your VRAM usage. Mine has dropped by more than 35% on average since v1.04 without changing any settings. It's as if the game is forcing everything to Low when it comes to texture/asset streaming.

I posted these last night but I'll quote them for a new day and hope someone finds a solution:

Originally Posted by Kalm

1.04 trashed IQ for me. :'(

Shimmering textures everywhere even after reverting back to v1.03 MipBias. I'd been using the in-game AA and a 1440p->1080p downsample since launch -- flawless IQ -- and it's completely f*cked now.

Going over a wooden bridge looks soooooo bad.

Is there possibly another new .ini setting tied to TextureMipBias because even after setting it back to 0 it has to be worse than v1.03. There's absolutely no way that I've played 40+ hours with this shimmering garbage and only noticed it this morning. The very first thing I did in-game was eliminate temporal aliasing because I'm unusually sensitive to it. CDPR's AA solution was so surprisingly effective that I could live with the relatively high performance cost; now, not so much.

I'm also suddenly getting ridiculous texture, lighting, and shadow pop-in with everything on Ultra save Foilage Distance (High). Basically, it looks like grass is sprouting up around Geralt as he runs around, torches are lit as I approach and shadows don't fully appear until I'm ten feet away. Before the patch, the only pop-in I had noticed were tree shadows way off in the distance.

WTF is going on?
Originally Posted by Kalm

Forgot to mention VRAM stuff in my post above:

v1.03: 2GB -> 2.5GB depending on location. Ultra setting, no ini tweaks. No noticeable pop-in besides distant tree shadows.

v1.04: 1.2GB -> 1.7GB depending on location. Ultra setting, no ini tweaks. Ridiculous pop-in everywhere -- grass, trees, shadow LOD, bloody NPCs.

Doubling and tripling the TextureMemory setting in the .ini does nothing. Still tops out at 1.7GB of the 3GB available and the awful pop-in is unchanged. Based on Andy's guide, all the other .ini settings related to textures and shadows are still at their default Ultra numbers.

Can I get a Marty McFly to swing by around 8am yesterday morning and rip out my ethernet cable please? Everything was GOAT before this...

By the usage of VRAM and draw distance we can obviously see that CD RED went full retards with further GRAPHICAL DOWNGRADE and giving us UTTER SHIT POPINS ! It is enough bad already with horrible NPC popins on 1.03 ... I`m glad that I didn't installed the patch as I saw how they fucked up with 1.03 ..... I was hopping in 1.04 to be fixed the NPC popins instead IT IS WORSE CD red ... da fuq dudes ... DA FUQ U ARE DOIN` ???

Top Bottom