GOG Galaxy "Server problem" - is there a fix ? is it common or just me ?

+
GOG Galaxy "Server problem" - is there a fix ? is it common or just me ?

Hello everyone.

So, at launch everything was fine. Installed, updated, and played the game from the GOG Galaxy client. But, at patch around 1.09-1.10~ the client has completely stopped updating and installing the game. Keeps saying "server problem", and this has been going on for the past several months.

So I'd like to ask: is this a common issue ? if so, is there a fix for it ? I know I can switch to manual update and download the patch files separately, but I'd rather fix this issue if it's possible.

Note - This is the only game that has this issue for me on the GOG client, and other than the fact I can't update the game using it, everything plays perfectly.

Thanks in advance

It happened to me two times. The first time it happened to me was when I've logged into GOG with a friend's account, who did not have Witcher 3 purchased. The other one was at some point when GOG didn't like my load balanced internet connections (using three connections from different ISPs balanced on a wr1043nd v2 router - it's a little bit too slow to utilize full speed it can do 250Mbps, while on faster linux machine it does 310Mbps, but it's single core Qualcomm 720MHz 64MB RAM cheap router). So every of the few connections were established through totally different routes/ISPs. So the first one was all right, but all the others were rejected due to different IPs. It seems it has been fixed at some time and the credentials are now handled per connection, not per session, so I do not have to fall back to single ISP for all GOG and GOG CDN stuff.

Other than that, it could be many of things. From your ISP blocking you, through misconfigured router to your firewall not being properly set up.

Edit: I've just noticed that you had actually wrote that Witcher 3 is the only game that does that. It kind of resembles the first issue I've described above. When you log into the GOG webpage, do you see Witcher 3 on your games list? I think you should report that to GOG. It's definitely not normal.

Last edited:
Edit: I've just noticed that you had actually wrote that Witcher 3 is the only game that does that. It kind of resembles the first issue I've described above. When you log into the GOG webpage, do you see Witcher 3 on your games list? I think you should report that to GOG. It's definitely not normal.

I have asked GOG about it with no response, so thought I might try here. Yes, the game appears on my account, and I can download everything manually and even launch the game after installing / patching it manually (basically, I can do everything except use the client to update / install the game. I can download everything from it aswell). This issue has persisted through a complete format and reinstallation of Windows 10 I did several weeks ago aswell, so I'm assuming it's not something that is messed up with my PC.

Just log into GOG through your browser. You have full access to your account without Galaxy. GOG works better for many users this way, anyhow.

^What SigilFey said.
My ISP throttles all overseas connections, and my download speeds from Galaxy are appalling and frequently break. I use Firefox with an error-tolerant download manager (it seems to have better ones than Chrome) to do multiple-connection downloads direct from the Gog site, and use Galaxy ONLY to do a verify/repair if it's necessary.

So yes, it's common, it's not just you, and for now the workround of downloading direct is probably the best solution.

^What SigilFey said.
My ISP throttles all overseas connections, and my download speeds from Galaxy are appalling and frequently break. I use Firefox with an error-tolerant download manager (it seems to have better ones than Chrome) to do multiple-connection downloads direct from the Gog site, and use Galaxy ONLY to do a verify/repair if it's necessary.

So yes, it's common, it's not just you, and for now the workround of downloading direct is probably the best solution.

The thing that's weird about it is, that my ISP doesn't throttle anything, and this is the only game I have issues with on GOG Galaxy. Every other game I have gets downloaded, installed, and patched using the client on max speed and with no issues. This is also a rather recent issue, because from release until around patch 1.08~ it had no issues. I guess I'll try to email GOG directly or something in hopes for a fix. (On a side note, I still haven't received any achievements on the client aswell)

I'd like to add that while I am experiencing exactly the same issues as @Maydawn and have resorted to using GOG to download all files, I've recently encountered an issue in the game (Black/grey gradient Minimap , blurry main map and improper lighting in Skellige only) and wanted to verify the installation before reinstalling the game from scratch -which I prefer to avoid. If the Galaxy issue can't be fixed, I would love to know if there are any other alternatives for verifying the game installation.

Apologies if I haven't been clear. I cannot verify my files through Galaxy. Galaxy downloads are fine, but in terms of "Verification" or any updates, it gives me the server error. Just to reiterate, I have the exact same problem as the OP has posted in all posts.

Because I see no other file-verification solution at this time, I have resorted to uninstalling the game and am installing fresh using Galaxy. (This functionality does work at the moment)
I'll update this post if the issue repeats itself, or whether a fresh install solved it.

---------- Updated at 06:00 PM ----------

Update: Game installed properly, and clicking on the *.exe manually ran the game -initial game issue (Skellige minimap/map lighting) resolved.

-Upon clicking on "Show Folder" in Galaxy the proper folder showed up.
-On clicking "Verify/Repair", "server problem" issue happened once again.
-Restarted computer, restarted Galaxy, Game shows as "Installation corrupted" and the play button greyed out.
-When I clicked on "Show folder" again, it showed me an incorrect folder. (E:\gog) which I have not specified anywhere)
-I clicked on "import game from folder" to attempt to correct Galaxy's installation location -Game was added, but server error and folder location once again showed "E:\gog" which was not the location of installation.
-I decided to uninstall the game once again -This worked through Galaxy.
-I wanted to try installing the game to where Galaxy seemed to default to (E:\gog) and now it won't even install when selecting "Install from Library" -Server problem.

The only choice I have left it seems, (unless I missed something) is to go to GOG, and download the main setup executable without having the ability to verify installation in the future if I need to.

Any ideas?

Update 2:

In my final attempt at using Galaxy I decided to try the following:

-Within "configure", on clicking the main download file (1.10) it began downloading (not sure why as it should already be on my machine).
-I then decided to click on "Install" again, which added "Install" to the queue.
-I then aborted the initial download of the main file in the queue, and now the game is installing without server error. This time to "E:\gog"
-I'm hoping that now, it will properly detect the game once this installs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom