GOG or Steam?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steamworks is not really intrusive,.

Non intrusive DRM is worse than intrusive one, since it's more sneaky and users tend not to pay attention. Same way hidden snooping camera is worse than public surveillance. Here is a thread which discuses it at length: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16563-What-does-DRM-achieve-and-does-piracy-equal-lost-sales

---------- Updated at 12:20 PM ----------

Stuff like Steamworks, that at most comes with an encrypted executable if even that, is completely harmless for me.
Both because I don't mind using the Steam client anyway (in fact it's more or less my default way to keep in contact with my gaming friends) and because at least keeps "teh DRM" limited to the game files, without putting garbage that does gods-only-know what in background.

How do you know what else Steamworks can do in background? Who audited it to be harmless? DRM is always some black box code, and trusting it is a questionable attitude. From security standpoint it should never be trusted, since by its very definition DRM is deployed by someone who doesn't trust you. And trust depends on mutuality. I.e. the same way DRM doesn't trust you (assuming you are a potential criminal by default), you should symmetrically assume it's malware by default.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
How do you know what else Steamworks can do in background? Who audited it to be harmless? DRM is always some black box code, and trusting it is a questionable attitude. From security standpoint it should never be trusted
Well, I was referring to the known differences in how these software work and act in principle; I wasn't really trying to dive into some conspiracy theory and I have no interest in doing so.

IsengrimR

Non intrusive DRM is worse than intrusive one, since it's more sneaky and users tend not to pay attention. Same way hidden snooping camera is worse than public surveillance. Here is a thread which discuses it at length: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threa...ual-lost-sales

Again. A lesser evil. I never had any issue with Steamworks DRM. It never prevented me from playing my games. And it's not hidden. Valve is quite open about it.

If I am to choose between issues with the servers, UI and no-cosmetic content or a non-intrusive DRM system, I am going with non-intrusive DRM. Sorry, that's my choice. Because it's convenient, and as a customer - my convenience is all that matters.

Valve isn't EA. They know that if their DRM was annoying - people would go somewhere else. They got a lot of shit in this year. Over the paid mods fiasco and lack of return policy. Well, they have a return policy, mods now have a donate button if modders want it. Changes, for the better. If I am to take a sort of DRM that isn't changing anything for me, and in return I get a rock solid, convenient, sale crazed service... why the hell wouldn't I?

Steam is good at what it does, and is currently basically better than GoG-Galaxy in all but one regard. It has DRM.

We're not really having another DRM discussion are we?

Well... arse. Run! Run you fools! Hide! Everybody run!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom