GTX 980 and random crashes DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

+
GTX 980 and random crashes DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I run Witcher 3 via Steam Big Picture.

Until a few days ago, I was playing on a GTX 770, but upgraded to a GTX 980 a couple of days ago. While playing using the 770, the game never crashed once. Now I've upgraded, it has crashed three or four times over about 8 hours of playtime.

The game just freezes, although I can still hear the sound in the background, until it bombs out completely. I then get one of two errors - i guess from the error, it is coming from Steam rather than Witcher. Error is

'Fatal Error: D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, this usually indicates you removed the device at runtime, or performed a driver upgrade while running. Big Picture must exit.'

Sometimes the error has been DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG instead.

Is this likely to be the same problem others are experiencing with crashing drivers while playing? It happens completely randomly and out of the blue. Temperatures are only around 60-65 on the GPU, and no additional overclock apart from the factory overclock. I have tried lowering the clock speed to nvidia reference (about 1200Mhz) but still crashed.

I'm just hoping this is the same problem and that I don't have faulty hardware.

I've not had chance to try different games yet.

Have you tried completely uninstalling Geforce Experience and any old drivers you have installed? I also changed cards a short while ago and while it looked like Geforce Experience has recognised the new GTX 970 without issues, I kept freezing out and having to hard reset. Removing everything Nvidia-related from my system and redoing the install from an up to date file solved my problem.

Last edited:
I did. I uninstalled all the old drivers, and ran the Display Driver Uninstaller software as well, then re-installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

I will try running it outside of Big Picture. I suspect if I do this I will get the usual 'driver has stopped responding and has restarted' message.

Well shit. Is this a copy with DRM? Do you have a way of launching it without Steam or any overlays, just through the exe file? It might be worth a try if you can.

I did. I uninstalled all the old drivers, and ran the Display Driver Uninstaller software as well, then re-installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

I will try running it outside of Big Picture. I suspect if I do this I will get the usual 'driver has stopped responding and has restarted' message.

Its nvidia + maxwell + latest driver + witcher 3 compatibility problems, dont worry about it to much, they wil fix it eventually, if u only have it with this game then go figure :)
Test some other games first and see what it does.

No DRM, it's the GoG download. I just add it to Steam for ease of launching on Big Picture.

it just makes you panic a bit when you get messages about faulty hardware :)

Your hardware is probably fine - the drivers/patches are still a bit wobbly since the game hasn't been out for long (1.05 completely wrecked my game and introduced stuttering when there wasn't any before, for example). I'd play another graphically intensive game as a test - it might not fix W3, but at least you could stop panicking about the 980 while the devs and the people at Nvidia figure shit out. :)

Hmm, strange, e dont have any kind of crashes, with my 980, and im using a modded vbios, card is pretty much oc-ed almost like a 980 Ti stock...

Top Bottom