Hacking/engineering autoresolve

+
Hi

aren't you people worried about this? Or maybe this is how it supposed to be in CP setup and I should stay calm?
I mean even Fallout offered us some easy minigames for breaking into terminals/safes but still. With old Deus Ex we had to know some codes etc. And I expected way more from cyberpunk in this matter but what I saw is just and autoresolved animation based on your skill level and nothing more. Should it really be that simplified? And how do you think such approach will affect a netrunner gameplay?

I haven't seen that part of the demo. How exactly is it being done?
Overall I don't mind an "auto-success" if your skill is high enough to do a thing. Though it is nice having minigames to mess with.

Sorry, but I personally HATE minigames.
I buy an RPG to play an RPG not "pick the lock" minigame, or inventory tetras, or even Gwent (far better then most and you could skip it entirely if you wanted).

Gwent was awesome. I played way more of it than I needed to.
But I couldn't get into the stand alone Gwent game they put out. Just didn't have fun with it. Probably because it suffered from the same issue as Hearthstone, where everyone was using "optimized decks" found online. Got boring as hell real fast.

But I like minigames, as long as they're done well. Bethesda's lockpicking isn't bad. And I loved the terminal hacking in Fallout. :)

I don’t mind it being auto solved, but it would be cool with some kind of mini game in a bar or something. They could use it to start a 2nd game like they did with gwent aswell.

First of all I am not talking about minigames like Gwent, dice etc.

I didn't say I like minigames, I just said that we at least had them, also with option to autoresolve with some probability based on your actual skill. I expected something more complex than that but as for now we do not have neither minigame nor probability. Either you can do it with 100% success with a single click or not at all and as for a mature writing this just seems to simple for me.

Making things simpler can be found even with Witcher series. W3 in order to prepare potions didn't require anything but alcohol and autofilled all unless you played with preparations mod (many thanks for the author). I found it way more immersive in previous versions of the game where you needed all the ingreedients and base.

With such approach the only thing the game requires from you is walking from a to b, talking and shooting (or not) and from time to time upgrading your gear which is common for all games these days.

I don't mind mini-game , like Pazaak (that was so much fun!) or speeder (again was in kotor 1&2) . Or the mini-game of unlocking doors in ME1 , and then later in ME2 .

I did hate the locking system in Besetha games though . That drove me bonker .

I think mini-game should always have a 'auto-open' for peoples who don't want them . So peoples who wanna nerd over them can go and do so . But it's not for everyone .

I'm fine with no mini games.l personally. They never are made interesting enough. It's fun the first 4 times and then it's just chore (looking at you Deus Ex)

Yes, these minigames grow old after you had to connect wires or play tetris or just move controller buttons or something.
Imho, they don't add anything much to the game and are usually an annoyance.

aren't you people worried about this?

I am. On multiple levels.

Sorry, but I personally HATE minigames.

Likewise.

I prefer the character to give his best shot at the task I'm putting him on, not taking on the task myself and giving my best shot.

I think hardgating as in the demo is pretty cheap desing (not just here, but in every RPG). I much prefer the weighted RNG and live with how it goes.

People often bring up savescumming in those sorts of cases, but that's... I think it's a cheap complaint because it really is up to the player whether he does it or not. There are ways to make it a less appealing option like attempts taking time for example, or making failure more interesting (to which there are also plenty of ways). But regardless of that, I like that whether the attempt succeeds or fails, it feels organic and like it belongs to my character as per the way I've built him.

Minigames are never fair. They are always either too easy or too hard or neglicable depending on who you ask, and they DO get repetitive in the long run. RNG checks are fair to all and usually quickly over so one can keep going.

Gambling is another matter, though. That can well exist as a minigame as far as I'm concerned.

Well, Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely won't be a "RPG" in the sense of the old-school RPG scene (or what we'd expect with roles etc...)

It'll be a mix of Fallout and GTA, with mini games to hack terminal, still waiting to see how deep they fleshed the netrunner side of the game, but I feel like the game will be pretty straightforward and follow a line without much depth added to it (exepct for a bunch of side quests depending of your level in some skills/perks), but forget about a whole line for rockerboy, techie, etc...

I think we can expect a single storyline with multiple branch resting mostly on the solo's spectrum...

Personally I would like to see some interactive approach for hacking/engineering where your skill level defines how difficult it is to break and on the other hand autoresolve option with probability based on same skill level. I don't mind autoresolve unless it is an option.

If a minigame is done right, with the option to roll the dice based on your skill, it could work. If the difficulty was too high, whether you tried the minigame or autoresolve you very likely fail.

However, if something was just a few levels higher than your skill, you might pull it off in the minigame - then you could leave the autoresolve for easy hacks you know your skill can handle.

I kind of like the lack of minigames for hacking and whatnot. It looks like you still need to think about what you will want to do and navigate the network. I have skills, implants, gear, etc that I've invested in to represent how good I am at something, playing a minigame for every hack is like having a minigame to clean and reassemble your gun every time you pulled it from the holster.

Since hacking/breaking into seems to be an important part of cyberpunk world I'd like it to be something more than "press x to hack". Some people may find it boring and repetitive but for me it is what makes game more immersive. The same feeling I had with Witcher and potions. For me creating potions during meditation was something important in W1 and W2 and I do not understand why CDPR simplified it in W3. It is actually what witchers does in life and it should be properly introduced in game, otherwise it simply lacks an important part of the universe. I really do understand that some people require autofill/autosolve features as they get bored quickly and just want to skip to action, but there are some for which these things are as important as fighting part.

PS Do you feel rewarded enough when you acomplish something only because you spent enough skillpoints in specific tree?

Last edited:
Well, Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely won't be a "RPG" in the sense of the old-school RPG scene (or what we'd expect with roles etc...)
To be honest, it doesn't really feel like an RPG to me.
It's a shooter that has a few RPG elements. But they seem to be mostly irrelevant as it's all action based. They're more of special abilities to use to make fights easier rather than core character options that are used and you occasionally make up for their lack through combat.

I think the best solution is to give player a choice. They can implement hacking mini-game but if you want to skip that part you can install certain cybernetic which give you acces to "quick hack" or something like that. Simple solution, without breaking immersion.

Guest 4211861

I don't want any minigames, I want it like in the demo: you jack in and choose what you want to do.

Honestly, even in DE those minigames were such obvious filler that I really hated the dev for putting that in the game. I used multitools every chance I could, in order to skip that nonsense.

Top Bottom