Hey! Will there be a THIRD expansion to one of the best games ever created?

+
You can be sure that the Witcher franchise won't just die. Sure, they might have been working on it for quite some time, but W3 is actually the first title that really made it worldwide.

Nobody kills a cashcow. There's no guarantee new franchises (like Cyberpunk) will succeed. If they will - great, if they won't - 100% chance of "Witcher 4, here we come".

They have been working on it for more than 10 years at least, and I presume we will have two wait another 10 years before we get the Witcher 4.

They have been working on it for more than 10 years at least, and I presume we will have two wait another 10 years before we get the Witcher 4.

"Witcher 4" is just a buzzword. It might be some kind of prequel of mid-quel. Or "Ciri Adventures". Or maybe even "Lute Hero: Dandelion". ;) It's just how franchises work.
Now the company has money, so I suspect the development process will get a kick.

"Witcher 4" is just a buzzword. It might be some kind of prequel of mid-quel. Or "Ciri Adventures". Or maybe even "Lute Hero: Dandelion". ;) It's just how franchises work.
Now the company has money, so I suspect the development process will get a kick.

The question is how big would be the next Witcher project? The size of HOS, the size of Wild Hunt etc.

Cyberpunk will take them quite a lot of time, then another few years for developing a new potential Witcher. I am not saying they will give the franchise up; I'm just saying it will probably take quite a few years before we can see anything big again.

The only hope is some thrid expansion; call it a prequel or mid-quel (produced in the meantime as a side project).

Also, if Cyberpunk is equally successful, they will likely have a lot to do without the Witcher.

Last edited:
The question is how big would be the next Witcher project? The size of HOS, the size of Wild Hunt etc.

Cyberpunk will take them quite a lot of time, then another few years for developing a new potential Witcher. I am not saying they will give the franchise up; I'm just saying it will probably take quite a few years before we can see anything big again.

The only hope is some thrid expansion; call it a prequel or mid-quel (produced in the meantime as a side project).

Also, if Cyberpunk is equally successful, they will likely have a lot to do without the Witcher.

Given how rapidly C.D.P.R. has expanded, recently, I think that they're going to start working on multiple games at once. Even if, after CP77, they want to make a sequel to it, it will probably be worked on along-side TW4.

Haven't they gone from approximately 400 personnel to around 800, since TW3 came out, or something?

The thing is, you need different skillsets at different stages of development. So unless you want to have hordes of staff sitting around with no work, just playing video games all day, you really NEED to have two or more games in progress, staggered in terms of development. So you have one being conceptualised and designed while another is in the production phase. So once you reach the opimimum staff level, it's just an efficient way of making use of their time.

Given how rapidly C.D.P.R. has expanded, recently, I think that they're going to start working on multiple games at once. Even if, after CP77, they want to make a sequel to it, it will probably be worked on along-side TW4.

Haven't they gone from approximately 400 personnel to around 800, since TW3 came out, or something?

I am not sure if multiple projects is their philosophy (more than two). Marcin said "we are not releasing every year" . He also said he doesn't want to make a soup opera that lasts and lasts untill you are fed up with it. They do not want to make another Assassin's Creed serial. They want to focus on Cyberpunk now, and quality which they are"obsessed" about. So the next thing they release after Blood & Wine will be Cyberpunk, and that will be next year most probably. After that? Who knows?

Last edited:
I am not sure if multile projects is their philosophy. Marcin said "we are not releasing every year" . He also said he doesn't want to make a soup opera that lasts and lasts untill you are fed up with it. They do not want to make another Assassin's Creed serial. They want to focus on Cyberpunk now, and quality which they are"obsessed" about. So the next thing they release after Blood & Wine will be Cyberpunk, and that will be next year most probably.

Right. As mentioned above, I said that TW4 will most likely come out along-side a CP77 sequel. So, it will be CP77 (And the other R.P.G. they're secretly working on.), then CP77's sequel (Or another game, if they decide not to turn CP77 in-to a series.) and TW4 (Together.).

What I was getting at is that the days of C.D.P.R. making one game at a time are gone (Which, as Dragon mentioned, is a good thing.). Now, we'll probably be seeing two releases every four years, rather than just one.

Also, considering how they haven't actually started working on CP77, yet (At least not big-time.), it probably won't be out for another three to four years. It can't possible be coming out next year, as you mentioned in your post. :p

For a "secret RPG" only one thing comes to my mind. A postapocalyptic RPG, which the inspration for would be Fallout (done as people really expect it). :)

No probably not don't hold your breath. they are moving on to cyberpunk and b&w will be it for Geralt. Pretty heartless if you ask me. Just get pissed off at them and then accept it and move on to other games and series. you'll have to keep replaying the original 3 games and reading the novels to get your Witcher fix.

A lot of people saying they need a 'break' from the witcher world and Geralt or whatever else but this makes no sense if they are growing and expanding as a company and hiring fresh personnel. You don't see Bethesda or their fans saying they need a break from Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls series.

Last edited:
No probably not don't hold your breath. they are moving on to cyberpunk and b&w will be it for Geralt. Pretty heartless if you ask me. Just get pissed off at them and then accept it and move on to other games and series. you'll have to keep replaying the original 3 games and reading the novels to get your Witcher fix.

A lot of people saying they need a 'break' from the witcher world and Geralt or whatever else but this makes no sense if they are growing and expanding as a company and hiring fresh personnel. You don't see Bethesda or their fans saying they need a break from Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls series.

Geralt is a character that belongs to someone else, and was developed by someone else. Them creating games with him is like an musician doing nothing but covers of other people's songs. C.D.P.R. wants a chance to create their own amazing "song" (Character.). I mean, do you really want to a see a "The Witcher 17: Dandelion's Lost Lute"? This series could drag on forever, and there will always be people saying "We want more Geralt.", even if they literally did go all the way to a 17th title.

And, Geralt's story isn't truly over. Sapkowski is still writing books about him.

You don't see Bethesda or their fans saying they need a break from Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls series.

Bethesda does not release the Elder Scrolls every two years or so. And if they finally release it, each of their game is different enough from each other. Each of their game is technologically on a different level (in terms of mechanics/graphics, combat etc.), which brings freshness that people need etc. One day in the future, when there is new technology, there might be another Witcher, but that might take quite a few years.

Geralt is a character that belongs to someone else, and was developed by someone else. Them creating games with him is like an musician doing nothing but covers of other people's songs. C.D.P.R. wants a chance to create their own amazing "song" (Character.). I mean, do you really want to a see a "The Witcher 17: Dandelion's Lost Lute"? This series could drag on forever, and there will always be people saying "We want more Geralt.", even if they literally did go all the way to a 17th title.

And, Geralt's story isn't truly over. Sapkowski is still writing books about him.

Not really. Creating an RPG game with a character that allows a bit of free will to create your own story is not exactly like writing a book that is set in stone and even if it was like covering songs who cares i've heard artists that play songs that are better than the original and world renowned bands that also do covers from time to time. They could still transition into it more slowly by the way if they want to create their own character but i'm not even sure that's what they are doing is that what they said? They could transition by being able to play as two or three protagonists, sort of like GTA 5 as their stories intertwine, also sort of like how you got to play as Ciri a little in TW3, though when you played as her you didn't have as much freedom as you did with Geralt. It's just flat out selfish, we started so much with Geralt with the conflicts between the northern realms, nilfgaard, and especially the scoa'tael conflict and made so many allies it feels like his story doesn't really have enough closure in just 3 games. Not asking for 17 games but they rushed his story.

Last edited:
Not really. Creating an RPG game with a character that allows a bit of free will to create your own story is not exactly like writing a book that is set in stone and even if it was like covering songs who cares i've heard artists that play songs that are better than the original and world renowned bands that also do covers from time to time. They could still transition into it more slowly by the way if they want to create their own character but i'm not even sure that's what they are doing is that what they said? They could transition by being able to play as two or three protagonists, sort of like GTA 5 as their stories intertwine, also sort of like how you got to play as Ciri a little in TW3, though when you played as her you didn't have as much freedom as you did with Geralt. It's just flat out selfish, we started so much with Geralt with the conflicts between the northern realms, nilfgaard, and especially the scoa'tael conflict and made so many allies it feels like his story doesn't really have enough closure in just 3 games. Not asking for 17 games but they rushed his story.

It does not change the fact that they did not invent the characters and basically the whole universe. It does not belong to them. They reproduce it in another form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom