Hogwarts Legacy

+
The other teachers inexplicably teach spells that are not part of their curriculum.
This is probably explained by the Deputy Headmistress' request that professors help the player character catch up with their spell knowledge. Since all of the spells taught are ones other fifth-years know (Sebastian and Nattie even use at least most of them when they fight alongside the player character), it doesn't matter who teaches what. Would hardly be fair to have Hecat and Ronen teach everything.

On an unrelated note, one detail that only recently occurred to me and that I find neat is the Thestrals: at the very beginning, the carriage is pulled by a seemingly invisible force, but right after a certain event the Thestrals become visible. Which, naturally, makes sense, considering who can see Thestrals.

I am impressed: I encountered a multi-puzzle room that took me over an hour to complete. Finally figuring everything out and getting all treasure certainly came with a sense of accomplishment.

I hear there is a third one of the same kind of room somewhere, and I hope that one will, once I maybe one day find it, be at least an equal challenge to this second one.

Too few modern games have truly challenging puzzles, unless they are actual puzzle games, in my experience.

I am impressed: I encountered a multi-puzzle room that took me over an hour to complete. Finally figuring everything out and getting all treasure certainly came with a sense of accomplishment.
A kind of "chess puzzle" ?
If yes, it took me a good while to resolve it too. I even almost gave up and looked on the net for the solution.

My son is really enjoying this game. It is quite fun for me too but we have it on story mode for him, which makes it feel not very challenging. However, it's really is quite fun.

I reached the main quest where you need to use
Polyjuice Potion to pose as Black
, and it's hilarious running around now. I hope there will be lots of dialogue with options, so that I can get up to plenty of mischief.

This game does not seem to cease to have brilliant surprises in store.

I purchased this game and really enjoyed it for the first five hours or so. I ended up putting about fifteen hours into it and then quit. The game started out beautiful graphically and the very beginning of the story grabbed me. The world was huge and looked to be interesting to explore. But after about five hours it started to set in for me that...

1. While the world was big it felt very empty to me. You would find some cool little town and there would be one person to talk to that had like three lines of dialogue and a fetch quest.
  2. The things to do in the world are also extremely repetitive and feel very Ubisoft'ish. There is a lot of random stuff - but none of it is really interesting.
  3. The story goes from interesting to mediocre rather quickly - at least in my opinion. Also, there is a particular side quest that is actually more fleshed out, interesting and full of choice than the main story.
  4. There were very few RPG elements to the game. The choices I made felt meaningless.
  5. Gear and equipment are very basic and essentially meaningless.
I also like the way racism is brought up at Hogwarts. I first thought about this when I was looking here https://papersowl.com/examples/racism/ for materials for my work. The confrontation between people and goblins, magicians and Muggles, in this story there is something to speculate about! It does not surprise me that people who really, really love Harry Potter would really, really love the game. I enjoyed the movies, never read the books - but I found it to be extremely interesting at the beginning, then it kind of flopped. :(
I'm in my seventeenth hour of playing now, and you literally described my thoughts. In general, the game is not bad, but all these listed points do not really add to the desire to play it for a long time. And the story about fifth-year students who solve problems at the level of the Ministry does not look believable. :(

Last edited:
I'm in my seventeenth hour of playing now, and you literally described my thoughts. In general, the game is not bad, but all these listed points do not really add to the desire to play it for a long time. And the story about fifth-year students who solve problems at the level of the Ministry does not look believable. :(

Yeah. The first five or so hours of the game I wouldn't have believed someone who told me the game wasn't very good.

I hope they make a sequel. It has the structure to be really, really good... but it is just very shallow and hollow in a lot of regards. It seems like it could have used a year or two more 'in the oven', so to speak. Not necessarily for polish and stuff, but just to add more substantial content to the world itself.

Last edited:
A kind of "chess puzzle" ?
If yes, it took me a good while to resolve it too. I even almost gave up and looked on the net for the solution.

Probably not the same one, but as a chess player, I figured out the answer to a chess puzzle really quick, but I didn't realize I had to morph the nearby jar into an actual bishop with a spell...

I for sure have not found all the puzzles there is to find.

I found one chess puzzle, and it was really easy after I figured out the pot.

The other day, I heard an NPC in Hogsmeade say something about (I can't remember the exact words) how evil it would be to use Flipendo on a cow. Guess what I did the next time I saw a cow? I felt bad afterwards.

Random NPC lines can be rather entertaining references to real books. For example, "Beedle the Bard is a bit too hairy-hearted for my tastes." and something about Toadstool Tales having made the NPC retch, both of which refer to Tales of Beedle the Bard.
The first is a reference to a specific story in the book, and the second to an awful rewrite (which does not exist in the Muggle world) of the book.

The other day, I heard an NPC in Hogsmeade say something about (I can't remember the exact words) how evil it would be to use Flipendo on a cow. Guess what I did the next time I saw a cow? I felt bad afterwards.
Theres an achievement for flipping X amount of cows iirc.

It's hardly different from what happens in the Harry Potter series. The game is simply doing what Rowling herself did, in having students deal with problems.
It bothered me a bit in the books, until I realized that Potter's improbable success is due almost entirely to
Voldemort fighting against himself through Harry Potter, and Potter getting massive behind the scenes help from the teachers and other powerful wizards in the wizarding world (Dumbledore and Snape in particular)

It doesn't bother me at all in this game, because mostly it's the player character, and the game provides a reasonable explanation as to why you're already the most powerful spellcaster in the wizarding world as a teenager.

Finished the game and it's definitely the most fun I've had with a game since Cyberpunk 2077.
That said, It's far from being a perfect game. The RPG elements, from the leveling system to spells, puzzles etc are a bit simplistic. I understand that may have been intentional to make the game as accessible as possible for Potter fans and not so much hardcore gamers, but I played on the highest difficulty and the game lacked challenge. In a game where you face off against dark wizards, your character is far more murderous lol none of the dark wizards, except the final boss, used an unforgiveable. I'm not saying every enemy needed to but at least the mini bosses and allow the player to block, dodge or use quick time events.

The spell variety was a bit limited, and I felt they could have added replayability by simply having close, mid and ranged options for each spell when upgrading your skills.

While it's not the best game I've played, it was a phenomenal experience and I do believe the devs created a foundation that they can build on for future games. I think we get carried away at times comparing the 1st game in a franchise to other games that are on their 3rd.

I applaud the devs for what they accomplished, especially having a... mostly seamless launch not filled with bugs. I'll judge them more harshly if the next game doesn't improve on the current one.
Post automatically merged:

It bothered me a bit in the books, until I realized that Potter's improbable success is due almost entirely to
Voldemort fighting against himself through Harry Potter, and Potter getting massive behind the scenes help from the teachers and other powerful wizards in the wizarding world (Dumbledore and Snape in particular)

It doesn't bother me at all in this game, because mostly it's the player character, and the game provides a reasonable explanation as to why you're already the most powerful spellcaster in the wizarding world as a teenager.
It actually dawned on me while watching the films... The realization that Harry is not very competent as a wizard. He's just surrounded by exceptional wizards. I don't have an issue with it because I despise chosen one tropes, the only thing that bugs me is that no one really challenges Harry on his screw ups, everyone just keeps kissing up to him as "the boy who lived" even after it's revealed that it wasn't really anything he did.

Last edited:
Finished the game and it's definitely the most fun I've had with a game since Cyberpunk 2077.
That said, It's far from being a perfect game. The RPG elements, from the leveling system to spells, puzzles etc are a bit simplistic. I understand that may have been intentional to make the game as accessible as possible for Potter fans and not so much hardcore gamers, but I played on the highest difficulty and the game lacked challenge. In a game where you face off against dark wizards, your character is far more murderous lol none of the dark wizards, except the final boss, used an unforgiveable. I'm not saying every enemy needed to but at least the mini bosses and allow the player to block, dodge or use quick time events.

The spell variety was a bit limited, and I felt they could have added replayability by simply having close, mid and ranged options for each spell when upgrading your skills.

While it's not the best game I've played, it was a phenomenal experience and I do believe the devs created a foundation that they can build on for future games. I think we get carried away at times comparing the 1st game in a franchise to other games that are on their 3rd.

I applaud the devs for what they accomplished, especially having a... mostly seamless launch not filled with bugs. I'll judge them more harshly if the next game doesn't improve on the current one.
Post automatically merged:

It actually dawned on me while watching the films... The realization that Harry is not very competent as a wizard. He's just surrounded by exceptional wizards. I don't have an issue with it because I despise chosen one tropes, the only thing that bugs me is that no one really challenges Harry on his screw ups, everyone just keeps kissing up to him as "the boy who lived" even after it's revealed that it wasn't really anything he did.
Dumbledore's explanation
to him that he really was the chosen one, but that "chosen" meant something very different in his case than people were assuming,
explained a lot to me about what JKR was doing with the character. We just as easily could have been reading
Neville Longbottom
and the Sorcerer's Stone. That's as much as I'll say to avoid spoilers (I'm assuming that there are still people who haven't read the books).

Last edited:
That's as much as I'll say to avoid spoilers (I'm assuming that there are still people who haven't read the books).
Although I have read them, thank you for this consideration.

And, as a general reminder to all, please, be sure to use Spoiler tags when discussing major plot-points, either from the game, or the books.

Although I have read them, thank you for this consideration.

And, as a general reminder to all, please, be sure to use Spoiler tags when discussing major plot-points, either from the game, or the books.
Went back and added a couple of spoiler tags anyway, just in case.

Top Bottom