Hogwarts Legacy

+
Went back and added a couple of spoiler tags anyway, just in case.
The game I understand but the books have been out for decades, I really don't think that's necessary. I haven't read the books, if I was going to I would have already. I still might read them but it'd be pretty ridiculous for me to be upset about book spoilers at this stage.

The game I understand but the books have been out for decades, I really don't think that's necessary. I haven't read the books, if I was going to I would have already. I still might read them but it'd be pretty ridiculous for me to be upset about book spoilers at this stage.
Same for me, and probably for almost everyone playing the game. But still, there is a lot of diversity in the people who drop by these forums, and I'd prefer not to take the chance of ruining the day of someone who's planning on reading the books for the first time by giving away a major plot point. And how/why a slightly above average talent teenage wizard became the hope of the wizarding world is a pretty big plot point.

Unlike the game, where my character is anything but slightly above average. He can single handedly lay waste to armies of bad wizards, and even the toughest of the bad can't stand against him. He doesn't need Dumbledore. He could shrink Dumbledore to the size of an ant, and squish him under foot, just like he does Acromantulas who get too bold for their own good.

It bothered me a bit in the books, until I realized that Potter's improbable success is due almost entirely to

I can tell you what Potter's improbable success is due to:
He is helped by someone else the entire time, every step of the way. I havent read ALL the books, but I've come to consider HP as one of the most overhyped characters ever. Sure, the importance of friends and sharing responsibility is a good thing, but it doesn't make Harry that great of a wizard.

In fact, iirc Harry doesn't cast a single spell in the entire first movie. His biggest asset is that he is good at flying a broom. And even there someone just happens to gift him a Nimbus 2000..

Also how does this make Voldemort look when he couldn't even manage to beat a relatively talentless child like Harry given several attempts? Not great.

Compared to HP, our main character in Hogwart's legacy is a godlike prodigy who not only masters dozens of spells easily, solves puzzles and battles dark wizards all by themselves, and can also channel ancient magic.

Last edited:
He is helped by someone else the entire time, every step of the way. I havent read ALL the books, but I've come to consider HP as one of the most overhyped characters ever. Sure, the importance of friends and sharing responsibility is a good thing, but it doesn't make Harry that great of a wizard.

In fact, iirc Harry doesn't cast a single spell in the entire first movie. His biggest asset is that he is good at flying a broom. And even there someone just happens to gift him a Nimbus 2000..

Also how does this make Voldemort look when he couldn't even manage to beat a relatively talentless child like Harry given several attempts? Not great.

Compared to HP, our main character in Hogwart's legacy is a godlike prodigy who not only masters dozens of spells easily, solves puzzles and battles dark wizards all by themselves, and can also channel ancient magic.
Agree entirely.

I switched to playing with the minimap and enemy healthbars turned off. Way more immersive, as I don't follow markers from A to B, and makes combat more difficult. Still playing on Hard, and it's just the right level of challenge.

The only constant HUD left is the spells and HP/Ancient Magic bars. With multiple spell sets it would be too hard to know what I'm about to cast if I turned off the spell HUD. The HP bar also shows the number of Wiggenwelds I have left, which is useful when brewing more (no sense in brewing more than I can carry).

I switched to playing with the minimap and enemy healthbars turned off. Way more immersive, as I don't follow markers from A to B, and makes combat more difficult. Still playing on Hard, and it's just the right level of challenge.

The only constant HUD left is the spells and HP/Ancient Magic bars. With multiple spell sets it would be too hard to know what I'm about to cast if I turned off the spell HUD. The HP bar also shows the number of Wiggenwelds I have left, which is useful when brewing more (no sense in brewing more than I can carry).
I wish I could do that. No sense of direction either in game or in real life. I can't even find my way around Hogsmeade without the map.

I can't even find my way around Hogsmeade without the map.
It took me a long time to kind of remember where things are, and I still have trouble finding Brood and Peck sometimes.

The first time I visited, it took me forever to find J. Pippin's Potions (yes, even with the signpost pointing in its direction), and two forevers to find The Magic Neep. I did not realize the Hogsmeade map showed their locations, even though the game forced me to open it after arriving in the village.

I think you answered your own question. Voldemorte couldn't defeat Harry easily because he was always surrounded by powerful wizards and part of his soul is in him which not only gave him some of his abilities but also gave away his secrets in Harry's visions. Voldemorte was basically fighting part of himself so he looks great to me.

Hogwarts Legacy has a Gary Stu character which might work for a game but would have been horrible in a book or film. That's just lazy and uninspired writing and it was a bit silly in the game that you mastered these spells in such a short time and "the dark wizards" you faced didn't use any dark spells against you while you're blasting them with unforgiveables. Poaching is awful but "murder" apparently isn't as bad. As much as I like the game I don't think it's winning any awards for such a generic approach.

Frankly if they make another game they will need to write a better character because once the awe of the world has worn off, people will want good narrative and a compelling character to return.

I think you answered your own question. Voldemorte couldn't defeat Harry easily because he was always surrounded by powerful wizards and part of his soul is in him which not only gave him some of his abilities but also gave away his secrets in Harry's visions. Voldemorte was basically fighting part of himself so he looks great to me.

Hogwarts Legacy has a Gary Stu character which might work for a game but would have been horrible in a book or film. That's just lazy and uninspired writing and it was a bit silly in the game that you mastered these spells in such a short time and "the dark wizards" you faced didn't use any dark spells against you while you're blasting them with unforgiveables. Poaching is awful but "murder" apparently isn't as bad. As much as I like the game I don't think it's winning any awards for such a generic approach.

Frankly if they make another game they will need to write a better character because once the awe of the world has worn off, people will want good narrative and a compelling character to return.
No argument there. I love the character as a video game character. I can't imagine how he/she would work in a movie. Far too powerful for the typical underdog movie themes. I also don't see how the character can be retconned into the book series, for the same reason.

The more I play, the more I absolutely love the combat system. To me, it's two levels up from Witcher 3's combat (which I also love); having so many different spells, spell combinations, and enemy weaknesses to specific spells and/or combos makes it super fun.

With my current character, I've been trying to complete every duelling feat I get, which has resulted, among other things, in me dodging around spiders, deflecting their attacks, while trying to get them close enough together that I can Accio both of them at the same time.

I'm still playing on Hard with the minimap and enemy healthbars off, and it really has made me enjoy the game on a whole new level.

I'm picking fights with all the enemies I see on my travels just so I can enjoy the combat.

The best combat system I have ever experienced in any game, easily.

Meanwhile waiting for the xbox one like:

The more I play, the more I absolutely love the combat system. To me, it's two levels up from Witcher 3's combat (which I also love); having so many different spells, spell combinations, and enemy weaknesses to specific spells and/or combos makes it super fun.

With my current character, I've been trying to complete every duelling feat I get, which has resulted, among other things, in me dodging around spiders, deflecting their attacks, while trying to get them close enough together that I can Accio both of them at the same time.

I'm still playing on Hard with the minimap and enemy healthbars off, and it really has made me enjoy the game on a whole new level.

I'm picking fights with all the enemies I see on my travels just so I can enjoy the combat.

The best combat system I have ever experienced in any game, easily.
That's being a bit overly generous. I have my problems with Witcher 3 combat but it's still way better. Builds feel like they actually matter in witcher 3 but that's not the case in Hogwarts Legacy.

Don't get me wrong the combat is fun but to do damage to inferi for example I have to use the same spell. No matter how many times I play the game I must use that same spell. That is not the case in witcher 3, you can actually build your combat around a completely different set of skills that you didn't the first time.

Adding to that, when you have an instant kill spell and ancient magic which is also instant kill, then enemy "weaknesses" don't really mean much.
I liked the game very much and I give the devs their due for the things they've done well but the combat isn't anywhere near as nuanced as Witcher 3. It's fun but the skill tree and the spells on a whole are at the minimum just what you'd expect on average from a game in 2023.

I was watching the state of play for Final Fantasy 16 earlier, that (at least from the trailers) can be seen as a step up from Witcher 3 but of course they had several years to perfect it. Hogwarts Legacy definitely has the potential to get there, this is a good start.

Don't get me wrong the combat is fun but to do damage to inferi for example I have to use the same spell.
Not true. One of two spells, both of which can ignite more than one enemy at a time. If you don't pick the relevant talents, that is your choice -- but the option does exist.

Overall, it seems my opinion is vastly different from yours. Neither of them is wrong or superior.

Until legacy comes out, I got hogwarts mystery, I guess. And the best part, he's in year 5! Prefect. Got the prefect badge, animagus form, a patronus and some other stuff I won't bore you in detail with. I wiiill however post a few Mystery pictures. When Legacy comes out, I'll post those next. :ok:

That's being a bit overly generous. I have my problems with Witcher 3 combat but it's still way better. Builds feel like they actually matter in witcher 3 but that's not the case in Hogwarts Legacy.

Don't get me wrong the combat is fun but to do damage to inferi for example I have to use the same spell. No matter how many times I play the game I must use that same spell. That is not the case in witcher 3, you can actually build your combat around a completely different set of skills that you didn't the first time.

I liked the Witcher universe so much that I remember writing essays about it in school. But in college, the subjects became harder and it was no longer possible to write about children's hobbies, homework became quite difficult. Therefore, on the advice of my friend, I sometimes ordered college papers with student price, and I was always pleased with the result, I had the highest scores. I just wanted to advise you on this so that you can play more games and not write texts at home.

Adding to that, when you have an instant kill spell and ancient magic which is also instant kill, then enemy "weaknesses" don't really mean much.
I liked the game very much and I give the devs their due for the things they've done well but the combat isn't anywhere near as nuanced as Witcher 3. It's fun but the skill tree and the spells on a whole are at the minimum just what you'd expect on average from a game in 2023.

I was watching the state of play for Final Fantasy 16 earlier, that (at least from the trailers) can be seen as a step up from Witcher 3 but of course they had several years to perfect it. Hogwarts Legacy definitely has the potential to get there, this is a good start.
I really like the combat system in the game, but I agree with you about instant kill spells. Especially if you pump cursed spells, and you impose one avada kedavra on a crowd of cursed enemies, you start to feel like One-Punch Man :beer:

Last edited:
Not true. One of two spells, both of which can ignite more than one enemy at a time. If you don't pick the relevant talents, that is your choice -- but the option does exist.

Overall, it seems my opinion is vastly different from yours. Neither of them is wrong or superior.
That's fair
Post automatically merged:

I'm purposely not taking any Dark Arts talents, and I would never use Unforgivables. It's even a roleplay reason, avoiding Dark magic. :ok:
Neither did I but it's technically unavoidable when you consider that the ancient magic are also insta kill and the trials force you to use it. I avoided using ancient magic as well just so the game wouldn't feel easy...and this is on hard mode.

I don't want it to seem like I disliked the combat, I liked it a lot. It just feels like it's in its early stages. The spells didn't have much variety and every player for the most part ends up using the same spells. Stealth was just tacked on and herbology could have been it's own skillset if more thought was put into it. The dark wizards didn't use unforgivables despite being painted as horrible criminals but the enemy AI is a whole other discussion. They needed the game to be as accessible as possible and I'm ok with that but for me it's still very much a work in progress

Last edited:
Top Bottom