Homecoming Reveal

+
Uuuhh this is a better looking board? And according to the massive success on twitch, reddit and youtube comments i'd say a lot are pleased with what they saw.

As for the "atmosphere", playing with monsters in that dark/gritty graveyard (or whatever it is it's fantastic) is much more atmospheric to me than playing ghouls in a wooden plastic-like game board...

To me, the new game looks like you are into a witcher 3 field doing battle with your units (cards), and that is fantastic in my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

See from what? From the 10ish people in this forum complaining? Meanwhile the top reddit posts about the new visual gets almost 1000 upvotes and the youtube video already have 70k views and 3500 likes (and 198 dislike lulz).

So maybe it's time you accept you are the in the niche minority on the matter...

If I would want to play something, which has Witcher 3 vibe, I would simply open Witcher 3 and play. Do you even get the difference between Witcher 3 based game and Witcher 3 inspired game? What we have now is Gwent that based on Witcher 3, because that we had back in Witcher 3. What we were shown though, is Gwent inspired by ambiance of Witcher 3, which is totally bloody different, to what we have now. I'm sorry, but that's just not for me, I can't picture what was a tavern board game into a muddy, scruffy and spooky battlefield, I just can't. And, if CDPR, does not care about the rest of their fan base, well no problem, I've got the message.

They get rid of silvers because they want a quick moneygrab after gwent homecoming is launched. The decks will consist of 10x800=8000 scrap instead of 4*800 + 6*200=4400 scrap in the beta. This means you need to open MUCH more kegs in order to be able to play the ladder. They didn't get rid of silver cards to make it more like the witcher cardgame, simply because that would contradict all the other changes they made. They couldn't care less about removing rows either. Another explanation than a quick moneygrab can't hold up to scrutiny.

You are playing a CARD GAME.

Not RPG.

Not TBS.

A CCG.

If you missed my post about Disciples II and HoMM in contrast - be free to click some pages back. This pseudo 3D turns the game in something completely different and not something that I think I like, especially with some of the changes that will be implented gamewise and were FORCED on us without us asking for them a bit (2 rows, 2 Bronze copies, removal of Silvers, even "new" mechanics on old cards (hit/buff random unit for X amount of points)).
It's their game, if they think Gwent will be a better game with those change it's their right to do so. And it's your right to move on if you don't like those changes.

And yes, i'm playing a card game. That doesn't mean it have to be in a wooden game board. There is nothing wrong with 3d boards, in fact they add quite a lot if well done.

Considering this is a WIP, probably from 1-1.5 months ago considering the Gwent Open shirt Burza had, it can only get better and it's already great.

They get rid of silvers because they want a quick moneygrab after gwent homecoming is launched. The decks will consist of 10x800=8000 scrap instead of 4*800 + 6*200=4400 scrap in the beta. This means you need to open MUCH more kegs in order to be able to play the ladder. They didn't get rid of silver cards to make it more like the witcher cardgame, simply because that would contradict all the other changes they made. They couldn't care less about removing rows either. Another explanation than a quick moneygrab can't hold up to scrutiny.
And that is wrong. The scrap cost is decided on the rarity and not on the color. HC will have the same 4 rarities we have now and the same scrap cost. Silvers will be simply gold epics in homecoming and nothing will change.

Last edited:
They get rid of silvers because they want a quick moneygrab after gwent homecoming is launched. [...] Another explanation than a quick moneygrab can't hold up to scrutiny.

CDPR released free DLCs for the Witcher 3. They made an expansion that's bigger than most standalone AAA games for a fraction of the price. Then they released Gwent, which is one of the most generous CCG out there. Also, after the beta, they are not resetting your collection but, instead, give you full scrap value for your cards. And then your argument is that CDPR is using the changes for an easy cash grab? Really? What you are talking about?

Well.. You can't be more wrong..

I agree with guys above, CDPR can be called by 1000 things, but not greedy for sure. Gwent that we have now is very good example of that. But it still doesn't change the fact that I hate this wonky 3D mess 😭

Seriously, just Cancel GWENT and invest that money/effort elsewhere, you are clearly at a loss with this game.

Back to the roots of Gwent, you said. And thats what you provide? A 2 row game (so much for the roots of GWENT) and a hearthstonesque board? Woah. Just woah.

And please, save the "rows now matter" speech. Rows used to matter. Today they dont, and as far as i can see, tomorrow they wont either.

Whats in the next reveal? You are implementing the "discover" mechanic from Hearthstone?

Oh wait...

Last edited:
I see the emotions are strong with this matter. And many of you guys scream for objective critique. Well, there is plenty, but you just don't want to see it, and deny every argument with sentences like "you have no idea", "you see only fraction of whole game" etc.
Main problem is that Gwent will lost its uniqueness, identity.
Gwent was in Witcher 3 as tavern based board in-game minigame. First days of closed beta was awesome - it has been what fans asked for - standalone experience with most of cards from w3. After some patches, tweeks, we had great game, with need of some balancing.
HC a s we saw in the preview is not gwent,its based it. What left was pictures. Complete overhaul of such scale is complete discarding 2-3 years of development, and wasted another at least 1 year of another balancing, patches,.. It will be open beta #2. Iam afraid, that devs didn't think of it in such way. They want to release Gwent as full game with homecoming patch. But concise please how long they have been working on game as it is, and how long they have been working on HC? Difference is more than 2 years.. You can't make full game from scraps within 1/2 year.. That is impossible even for Cdpr...

feels like the more complains are about new board cuz some people thinks that they cant hold the game, and it will be unreached for them to play game due higher system requirments, but in the post maden by moderator (Homecomign what we know so far) you can find a quote with Burza answer, where he said there will be no higher system requirments after homecoming only some perfomance improvements

Seriously, just Cancel GWENT and invest that money/effort elsewhere, you are clearly at a loss with this game.

Back to the roots of Gwent, you said. And thats what you provide? A 2 row game (so much for the roots of GWENT) and a hearthstonesque board? Woah. Just woah.

And please, save the "rows now matter" speech. Rows used to matter. Today they dont, and as far as i can see, tomorrow they wont either.

Whats in the next reveal? You are implementing the "discover" mechanic from Hearthstone?

Oh wait...
1) Current board = HS board, New board = HoMM/Disciples battlefield

2) Did you saw a video about homecoming? "rows used to matter" - Today the dont, right, but after homecoming they will

Oh wait...

Except rows are clearly going to matter and create won't be in the game.

feels like the more complains are about new board cuz some people thinks that they cant hold the game, and it will be unreached for them to play game due higher system requirments, but in the post maden by moderator (Homecomign what we know so far) you can find a quote with Burza answer, where he said there will be no higher system requirments after homecoming only some perfomance improvements

Doesn't look like performance is the main concern of fans. They just hate the look of it, myself included.

I like the new style, including the new hero. Could all in all be a little too dark, but that's bearable.

) Current board = HS board,

Yeah. You dont have a clue.

I remember the discussions i had back in the day regarding the direction Gwent was taking, when people used to call me doomsayer. Its the same now

CDPR dropped the ball hard. And now is too late with Magic Arena out there and Artifact just around the corner. Its ok, developing a CCG its not easy, moreover with no previous experience.

Did you saw a video about homecoming? "rows used to matter" - Today the dont, right, but after homecoming they will

They wont. The vídeo shows nothing. Iris clearing weather if deployed in ranged. Ok. Thats crazy. In the video we can see you are going to be able to play ekimmaras wherever you want. Just like you do now.

Saying rows are going to matter based on what we saw in the video is like saying row matter now because you have to Dodge gigni. Rows are going to be somewhat important for some cards, like they are now, thats it.

It's their game, if they think Gwent will be a better game with those change it's their right to do so. And it's your right to move on if you don't like those changes.

And yes, i'm playing a card game. That doesn't mean it have to be in a wooden game board. There is nothing wrong with 3d boards, in fact they add quite a lot if well done.

Considering this is a WIP, probably from 1-1.5 months ago considering the Gwent Open shirt Burza had, it can only get better and it's already great.

And that is wrong. The scrap cost is decided on the rarity and not on the color. HC will have the same 4 rarities we have now and the same scrap cost. Silvers will be simply gold epics in homecoming and nothing will change.

I was one of those that wanted the board to be improved because it looked a bit too plastic and childish. Improving though doesn't mean scrap the whole thing! It's like if people hypothetically complained that the voice acting of Geralt was bad and needed improvement and CDPR said "Ok, no more Geralt, now you play as George"... what the heck...

Sure playing a card game in general doesn't mean you have to place cards on a board, but this is what was done in Gwent from it's inception! And that's why a number of us fans are upset about it. There isn't even a board any longer, visually you're putting CARDS on the DIRT, next to which you can see the leaders as 3D UNITS. What is this? Is the Unseen Elder going walk to and attack a card as an ability? lol

And yes CDPR have every right to do whatever they want with the game that feels right to them. And those of us who don't like the changes have every right to express our displeasure with them even if we aren't a majority. Other players don't have to care about our complains. Now if CDPR doesn't care at all about as well because we aren't the majority (that's not necesserily true) so be it. We also then have every right to be dissapointed and stop playing and supporting the game if we no longer like it.

And if you are playing since closed beta you should know, that rows had a meaning in these days and this meaning was scrapped with each update.To celebrate now, when you get a smaller form of the previous ones, seems a bit off.

I played closed beta and the only 'meaning of row' it had was you were restricted to play some cards on specific rows so assuming your finishers your opponent could just save Gigni or any other entire row effecting card as the last play and send you to the oblivion. The only meaning it had was to put you under some strict restriction instead of giving you more options and you had to fight your way out through those restriction. That was the meaning.

So yeah, I don't think we're getting any 'smaller form' of the previous one and I'd definitely celebrate with what I've seen. Not everything is positive though, but mostly positive.

Enough of saying who's wrong or not. Not everything is based on facts, even though some users try to make it appear that way. Homecoming is different from the Witcher's Gwent. Players have asked for a change and a change is what they got. Some like it and some hate it. Feel free to express your opinion, but do not hide behind other people's statements.

Carry on with a civilized discussion.

The leaders, not doing anything, while standing right next to the battlefield and right in front of each other feels horribly awkward, why do they no attack each other, why does nothing attack them ?
(I guess placing them on he right side of the hand respectively would fix that issue, given that the board would be inbetween them, without that it actually feels more like a friendly sparring than a battlefield, something they specifically mentioned as an aim)

I totally agree with your point here. They should be placed on different sides of the board.

Besides that, I have a small suggestion... I saw a few people complaining about the board doesn't looking like an actual card game board, like a wooden table or something on that line. My suggestion is to start the game as a normal wooden board, and once the leader card hits the board, at a designed place on the sides, they "magically" transform their sides of the board into the battlefield scene and also emerge as the 3d models we just saw. This way we get that initial feeling of being playing on top of a normal game board and get a justification for the battlefield looks.

... Players have asked for a change and a change is what they got...
What the hell? Really? We asked for balance patches - it was what the game was in need for! - not for entirely new game after a full year of testing and adjusting, with absolutely new visual presentation.

Whatever. I don't like what I saw. I think they did the worse they could with and after Midwinter, they've plugged their forefingers in their ears screaming LALALALALALLALALA for months and now we have this, of which I do not recall anyone asking to go to this extreme (visual and gaming wise). The incoming failure of Gwent will lie entirely on their consciousness and deaf ears.

Not mine or anyone that was disagreeing with (the majority of) what they did after Midwinter Fiasco.

Top Bottom