How do I get GOG Galaxy to recognize an already existing copy of the game?

+
How do I get GOG Galaxy to recognize an already existing copy of the game?

So, I decided to install Witcher 3 through GOG galaxy after taking a break from it for a while. Only after downloading and installing it did I realize I already had another copy of it installed from the pre-galaxy days. The only entry in my add/remove programs was for the new one I just installed and since I didn't like having two copies of the same game occupying 24gb of my dwindling HDD space, I went into the old folder and used its uninstall file.

I go into Galaxy to fire up the new copy, and it's gone. I check the GOG Galaxy games folder and it's still there, all 27gb of it so I figure I'd reinstall it into the same default folder, the launcher will recognize the game is already there, do first time install things like registry entries and get me into the game lickity split. Instead it begins re-downloading the sodding thing all over again. This is stupid. How do I get the stupid launcher to recognize the game that it installed not 15 minutes ago? I don't want to waste any more of my data.

And what provisions are there to stop this crap from happening now that there are two different ways to install these games?

---------- Updated at 12:36 AM ----------

So I abort the obnoxious reinstall option and try to play the game, launcher be damned. I find the proper bin file and try to open it. It does nothing. So I'm futzing around in the Galaxy client and find the Manage Installation option (now that it's no longer downloading). I find the Import Folder option. Well la-de-da. This works.

Still, if you're trying to install the game to the default folder, wherein the game is already present. Maybe the launcher should do a quick check to see if it's already there and import it if it is. Just a thought.

I'll go away now.

Just to save others time on this, if they have the same issue:

1.) It's better to uninstall an existing copy of a game before re-installing. While side-by-side installations are fine (a good idea when modding, for example), it does require the user to specifically specify the paths for separate installation. If any part of the game installs "over-the-top" of itself, it can cause Registry issues.

2.) If that does happen, no biggie. You can simply use a tool like CCleaner to scan and remove invalid Registry entries and conflicts.

3.) To relocate an existing installation using Steam or GOG, you can simply drag and drop the Steam or GOG folder to a new root/directory. For Steam or Galaxy functions to work, however, you need to maintain the directory path through the marketplace itself (i.e.: the game must be in Steam/steamapps/common/The Witcher 3, but the actual Steam directory can be moved wherever). This is required for Steam and Galaxy, but if installed directly through GOG, you're free to put the installation folder anywhere. Not sure about Origin.

4.) Galaxy is still in beta, and may be prone to issues like this. If that happens, simply disable Galaxy and run the game by creating a shortcut to witcher3.exe yourself. Galaxy is not required for gameplay, but achievements, hours logged, etc. may not function without it.

Top Bottom