How do ppl feel about the balancing of mature themes and censorship?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I enjoy the game, it's hard for me to see the 'adult content' as being balanced. Bodies are dismembered and mutilated, heads explode, blood splashes,,,and yet the game is coy about showing an NPCs nipples. Sex and sexuality is everywhere, yet major NPCs are coy about expressing their desires. Ads for Mr. Stud are everywhere, yet Burning Crotch Man and V discuss BCMs problem in a very guarded, euphemistic way. Sex trade is legal and everywhere, yet it's presented as almost universally seamy and lowbrow, if not weird.

It's rather as if the various adult themes were written by different people that never collaborated on a unified, coherent vision of what these aspects of the future would be like. I'm okay with the use of nudity in the game, but the way it's used doesn't make a lot of sense...it actually plays no part in the game at all. Even actual strippers in clubs are more-or-less decently clothed...if ever there was an appropriate place for some bouncing boobies, how about Ruby Collins? There are mods that put it back in...but really, it's just sexy eye candy, and mostly for the guys too. It's all just a weird mix.

Last edited:
Sorry but that's just a poor excuse for poor game design. When you and I go out in public we see "skin color, eyes, shape, nose" for every individual....we do not see their genitals. You do not need a genital slider for representation. Representing ppl with big/small genitals or breasts? really mate? That's your argument?

As you said in your very comment, if representation was the aim then a body slider would have been the more sensible choice. This has nothing to do with "ppl being in their heads" and virtue signaling in an attempt to make it about that is disappointing and sad.
This is not difficult at all. NPC's don't react to V's clothing but in certain scripted moment. Body shape, eye color, tattoos, cyberware, the world doesn't react to any of those either and that goes for hair styles and color. So everything in character customization is about people being in their heads, but for some reason breast and penises can't.

In real life there's thousands of years history people enhancing their looks to be more appealing. During past decades breast augmentation has been one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures, penis enhancements has been around for decades, though they have been mostly snake oil products, but anyway, there's interest to that kind of augmentation too. So how is game not reflecting real life, and also cyberpunk future where body sculpting is a possibility.

I was writing from top of my head about medical aspect and misremembered name of Swyers syndrome for Sawyer's syndrome. There's also Turner's syndrome.

As much as I enjoy the game, it's hard for me to see the 'adult content' as being balanced. Bodies are dismembered and mutilated, heads explode, blood splashes,,,and yet the game is coy about showing an NPCs nipples. Sex and sexuality is everywhere, yet major NPCs are coy about expressing their desires. Ads for Mr. Stud are everywhere, yet Burning Crotch Man and V discuss BCMs problem in a very guarded, euphemistic way. Sex trade is legal and everywhere, yet it's presented as almost universally seamy and lowbrow, if not weird.

It's rather as if the various adult themes were written by different people that never collaborated on a unified, coherent vision of what these aspects of the future would be like. I'm okay with the use of nudity in the game, but the way it's used doesn't make a lot of sense...it actually plays no part in the game at all. Even actual strippers in clubs are more-or-less decently clothed...if ever there was an appropriate place for some bouncing boobies, how about Ruby Collins? There are mods that put it back in...but really, it's just sexy eye candy, and mostly for the guys too. It's all just a weird mix.

Game age rating system can't be said to be a new thing anymore, for simple reason that it isn't. For why people ask for more nipples when they well know that such would eventually push game to X-rating? Well knowing that such would make game undistributable on many digital platforms? Why people pretend not to understand practical limitations.

What comes to other related mature topics, such as socio-economical aspects, gangs taking advantage of power vacuum, if that side of story didn't open when playing, adding more nipples of prostitution doesn't help figuring that out.

Last edited:
Sorry but that's just a poor excuse for poor game design. When you and I go out in public we see "skin color, eyes, shape, nose" for every individual....we do not see their genitals.

I dunno.... we might be attending different beaches...

Jokes aside though, there's a couple things here.

One, it's not about about what other people see in public; you can be naked at home, when you shower, get changed, etc., and obviously you can see your body in those instances - so there is an immersion factor there. The bit that's maybe poor game design in my mind is the fact that even with the nudity censor turned off, your character is still censored outside the inventory screen, even in their own home. To me that's a bit immersion breaking but not a big deal. The only other bit that's poor game design is the fact that they've determined gender by voice - they should've made gender it's own independent setting.

Secondly, it's not simply about aesthetics for everyone; it can also be the knowledge that your body is what it is and how that makes you feel represented and validated. I'll go into more detail on that in a bit though...

You do not need a genital slider for representation.

I agree, you don't need to see your character's genitals to represent trans and cis people - again, I think they should have made gender identity an independent attribute you select anyway. At the same time, I don't see why it's necessary to censor? Isn't the nudity censor good enough for that purpose?

You could make the same argument that you don't actually need to see your character at all to represent everyone, and just ditch the character creator completely and replace it with a form players fill out, where they simply choose a bunch of facts about their character e.g. "skin colour=brown", "biological sex=female", "gender identity=fluid", etc., and basically imagine what they look like. I mean... that's not an approach I have any interest in, but you'd still be allowing players to represent themselves I guess. Personally though, I like the tangibility of a CC where I can actually see and hear them. To me, it makes it more real and immersive.

Representing ppl with big/small genitals or breasts? really mate? That's your argument?

When I said genital slider, I just meant being able to choose whether you've got a vagina or a penis. But, since you brought it up, sure, I'm fine with being able to customise these things beyond that. I really don't see how it's any different to being able to pick what kind of nose you have. It's just anatomy.

As for why I think inclusivity and representing people in all shapes and sizes is a good thing... I mean, god, where to I even begin?

Can we start with some basic empathy?

Can you imagine being someone who has low self-esteem and depression because they've been made to feel bad about themselves? They might have insecurities about the size of their boobs, the way their genitals look, their skin colour, their height, their body weight, etc.

Can you appreciate how uplifting it can be for that person to play a game where the main character can look like them?

Going back to what I was saying about feeling represented and validated - I'll try walking through an example. It's hard to simulate decades of life, so this'll be a little truncated. Imagine being a trans woman. You've watched films like Ace Ventura or The Hangover II, etc. - where there are gags which depend on the audience thinking women with penises are weird in order for them to find said gags funny. You've lived in a society where it's mainstream to mock and ridicule people like yourself, and it starts to wear you down, like death by a thousand cuts. That mainstream mock and ridicule has influence on the way people treat you in person. Eventually you watch Orange is the New Black - you find out one of the characters is trans, just like you... but they're not the butt of a cheap joke. They're a real human being written with as much care and consideration as any other character. You start to see attitudes change a little in the rest of society as well. You feel more accepted - and despite the occasional cries of "this is woke liberal bullshit!" - the ruffled feathers are worth it because now you feel more validated and a little bit safer walking down the street.

IMO, that's why representation matters.

For that woman to play V as someone who's physically similar to themselves, a character whose story doesn't revolve around their gender identity, who isn't mistreated over their anatomy, where their genitals don't function as a gag in the story, but is instead an incidental part of who they are.... well, that must feel incredibly normalising.

As for whether or not genitals should be censored in the CC, I think there's some valid discussion to be had there. But I think credit has to be given to Cyberpunk's CC for not feeling sexualised or exploitative in any way... to me, it just feels anatomical really - which is part of where that normalising effect comes from. I think that's a positive thing.

Is there an alternative way of doing that without showing them? An independent pronoun setting might've been sufficient? But as effective? I'm not so sure. Either way, I just don't see anything wrong with them being there.

As you said in your very comment, if representation was the aim then a body slider would have been the more sensible choice.

Sensible? What does that have to do with trans representation? When I said body-slider I meant for representing lean/fat/muscular/thin bodies.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest something more obvious: like having a setting that lets you choose V's pronouns and another that lets you pick whether they're cis/trans. You can make the case for no genital slider then.

This has nothing to do with "ppl being in their heads" and virtue signaling in an attempt to make it about that is disappointing and sad.

Are you sure you know what virtue signalling is?

For anyone who doesn't know, it's basically where you try to show off how "virtuous" you are for the sole purpose of looking good to others. Moral grandstanding basically. From what I've seen, accusing people of virtue signaling typically happens when the accuser gets the ick over the other person's liberal views and is basically an ad hominem tactic.

Not sure how me supporting representation is moral grandstanding or an attempt to win cool points. I promise you, every time I talk about something like this on this forum, I fully expect it to be UNpopular. I know it's gonna piss some people off. I'm not talking about this to look like a goody two-shoes. I don't get a dopamine hit from this; quite the opposite actually. Drained is the word. In spite of that, I post anyway because I'm not apathetic and I actually do care. I've been on the receiving end of discrimination my whole life and empathise with others who've been through similar. I have a front row seat on the difference negative and positive representation makes. I know what the before and after feels like.

One of the best things about videogames with character creators is how it can make anyone feel like the hero. Calling "virtue signaling" just feels like an attempt to shut down a thing you don't like. But why? It doesn't hurt you in any way; it just makes more people feel accepted.

I want that dude with a smile, above a** cheeks gone from the game. He is everywhere! And he ruins great shots.
There must be a mod for it.

I think an oversexualised dystopian world really nails the feeling on the head, but I think they need to juxtaposition it with a more trad life. Like... if V could have an option to have a wife and kid to come home too? That would provide a major major juxtaposition. Also, the oversexualization of a world of grim that should be repulsive to people. Attractive and sexy sure, but not something you want. Idk, it feels like an indictment on the modern world.

I agree, you don't need to see your character's genitals to represent trans and cis people - again, I think they should have made gender identity an independent attribute you select anyway. At the same time, I don't see why it's necessary to censor? Isn't the nudity censor good enough for that purpose?
Nude beaches are representative of the world now?

Also if that was the intention, they would just have default genitals, not a slider to determine the size. We've had male and female characters in games for centuries without needing genital sizes to represent them. Your response is moving into absurdity territory now, I don't know what cis or trans is supposed to mean or what it even has to do with this discussion. I'd rather not derail the post so I'll just move on. Have a good one.
Post automatically merged:

I want that dude with a smile, above a** cheeks gone from the game. He is everywhere! And he ruins great shots.
lol ah yes that guy. Does he even show up in shots? I noticed that some of the ads are blacked out in photomode. That's part of the issue for me. Surface level, things look hyper mature but when you play it's censored or just executed poorly. I don't really have an issue with the a** cheeks guy but it's as you said, he's everywhere.

Jokes aside though, there's a couple things here.

One, it's not about about what other people see in public; you can be naked at home, when you shower, get changed, etc., and obviously you can see your body in those instances - so there is an immersion factor there. The bit that's maybe poor game design in my mind is the fact that even with the nudity censor turned off, your character is still censored outside the inventory screen, even in their own home. To me that's a bit immersion breaking but not a big deal. The only other bit that's poor game design is the fact that they've determined gender by voice - they should've made gender it's own independent setting.

Secondly, it's not simply about aesthetics for everyone; it can also be the knowledge that your body is what it is and how that makes you feel represented and validated. I'll go into more detail on that in a bit though...

You could make the same argument that you don't actually need to see your character at all to represent everyone, and just ditch the character creator completely and replace it with a form players fill out, where they simply choose a bunch of facts about their character e.g. "skin colour=brown", "biological sex=female", "gender identity=fluid", etc., and basically imagine what they look like. I mean... that's not an approach I have any interest in, but you'd still be allowing players to represent themselves I guess. Personally though, I like the tangibility of a CC where I can actually see and hear them. To me, it makes it more real and immersive.

When I said genital slider, I just meant being able to choose whether you've got a vagina or a penis. But, since you brought it up, sure, I'm fine with being able to customise these things beyond that. I really don't see how it's any different to being able to pick what kind of nose you have. It's just anatomy.

As for why I think inclusivity and representing people in all shapes and sizes is a good thing... I mean, god, where to I even begin?

Can we start with some basic empathy?

Can you imagine being someone who has low self-esteem and depression because they've been made to feel bad about themselves? They might have insecurities about the size of their boobs, the way their genitals look, their skin colour, their height, their body weight, etc.

Can you appreciate how uplifting it can be for that person to play a game where the main character can look like them?

Going back to what I was saying about feeling represented and validated - I'll try walking through an example. It's hard to simulate decades of life, so this'll be a little truncated. Imagine being a trans woman. You've watched films like Ace Ventura or The Hangover II, etc. - where there are gags which depend on the audience thinking women with penises are weird in order for them to find said gags funny. You've lived in a society where it's mainstream to mock and ridicule people like yourself, and it starts to wear you down, like death by a thousand cuts. That mainstream mock and ridicule has influence on the way people treat you in person. Eventually you watch Orange is the New Black - you find out one of the characters is trans, just like you... but they're not the butt of a cheap joke. They're a real human being written with as much care and consideration as any other character. You start to see attitudes change a little in the rest of society as well. You feel more accepted - and despite the occasional cries of "this is woke liberal bullshit!" - the ruffled feathers are worth it because now you feel more validated and a little bit safer walking down the street.

IMO, that's why representation matters.

For that woman to play V as someone who's physically similar to themselves, a character whose story doesn't revolve around their gender identity, who isn't mistreated over their anatomy, where their genitals don't function as a gag in the story, but is instead an incidental part of who they are.... well, that must feel incredibly normalising.

As for whether or not genitals should be censored in the CC, I think there's some valid discussion to be had there. But I think credit has to be given to Cyberpunk's CC for not feeling sexualised or exploitative in any way... to me, it just feels anatomical really - which is part of where that normalising effect comes from. I think that's a positive thing.

Is there an alternative way of doing that without showing them? An independent pronoun setting might've been sufficient? But as effective? I'm not so sure. Either way, I just don't see anything wrong with them being there.

Sensible? What does that have to do with trans representation? When I said body-slider I meant for representing lean/fat/muscular/thin bodies.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest something more obvious: like having a setting that lets you choose V's pronouns and another that lets you pick whether they're cis/trans. You can make the case for no genital slider then.

Are you sure you know what virtue signalling is?

For anyone who doesn't know, it's basically where you try to show off how "virtuous" you are for the sole purpose of looking good to others. Moral grandstanding basically. From what I've seen, accusing people of virtue signaling typically happens when the accuser gets the ick over the other person's liberal views and is basically an ad hominem tactic.

Not sure how me supporting representation is moral grandstanding or an attempt to win cool points. I promise you, every time I talk about something like this on this forum, I fully expect it to be UNpopular. I know it's gonna piss some people off. I'm not talking about this to look like a goody two-shoes. I don't get a dopamine hit from this; quite the opposite actually. Drained is the word. In spite of that, I post anyway because I'm not apathetic and I actually do care. I've been on the receiving end of discrimination my whole life and empathise with others who've been through similar. I have a front row seat on the difference negative and positive representation makes. I know what the before and after feels like.

One of the best things about videogames with character creators is how it can make anyone feel like the hero. Calling "virtue signaling" just feels like an attempt to shut down a thing you don't like. But why? It doesn't hurt you in any way; it just makes more people feel accepted.
Not sure Cyberpunk is the right place for all that, being a decadent world in which all perversions are allowed. Makes it look like certain minorities are equated to said decadence/perversion.

Not sure Cyberpunk is the right place for all that, being a decadent world in which all perversions are allowed. Makes it look like certain minorities are equated to said decadence/perversion.
Exactly this. That's why I mentioned in the original post:
"I think there are two issues, one is the expectations from the gaming community because I don't believe many of them understand how nudity is used in the cyberpunk genre."

The person above just highlights that. He doesn't need the nudity in service to the game's story but rather to have it fetishized. To each their own I guess. Hopefully CDPR doesn't go in that direction for future games.

Nude beaches are representative of the world now?

Oh for sure, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's a fact I meant seriously - definitely wasn't taking the piss. That bit where I said "jokes aside"? I honest to god have no idea how that got there! :shrug:

Also if that was the intention, they would just have default genitals, not a slider to determine the size. We've had male and female characters in games for centuries without needing genital sizes to represent them.

So the bit about lifting people up who have insecurities about themselves was completely lost on you. Okay.

Your response is moving into absurdity territory now, I don't know what cis or trans is supposed to mean or what it even has to do with this discussion. I'd rather not derail the post so I'll just move on. Have a good one.

And you didn't think to learn what those terms mean first before responding? That's pretty critical information you're missing. Maybe if you tried to understand what those terms mean then you'd see the relevance. But I get the feeling you're not interested in listening anyway. Fair enough. Saying "your response is absurd" is far easier than actually confronting what I've said.

What does decadence and perversion have to to with anything I wrote? I was talking about inclusive representation. Is your argument that the character creator shouldn't provide that because it's "perverse"?? Please tell me that's not what you meant.

Exactly this. That's why I mentioned in the original post:
"I think there are two issues, one is the expectations from the gaming community because I don't believe many of them understand how nudity is used in the cyberpunk genre."

The person above just highlights that. He doesn't need the nudity in service to the game's story but rather to have it fetishized. To each their own I guess. Hopefully CDPR doesn't go in that direction for future games.

Oh what was that? Sorry, I thought you had moved on. So what's the tactic this time? Didn't like my response and have no real answer to it so... now you're just claiming things about me that aren't true? That's not okay.

So what's the implication here? That supporting inclusive representation = fetishisation? Or that being fine with non-sexual nudity is... also fetishisation??? What kind of roundabout logic do you have to use to arrive at that conclusion?

The impression I'm getting of you is that you think the only possible explanation for why anyone would be fine with nudity in the CC is because that person must have a fetish.

Can you really not accept that it's possible for a naked human body to exist without a fetishistic lens? Maybe you can't see boobs and genitalia any other way - to each their own I guess - but that's not how everyone works. To me, it really depends on context. If I have a shower, I get naked, but there's nothing sexual about it. Someone gets a pap smear or a mammogram - there's nothing sexual about it. Someone tries to recreate themselves in Cyberpunk's CC - there's nothing sexual about it. Why would there be??

As for being in service to the story - why can't things be incidental? Why would incidental automatically = fetishistic? V could be wearing a yellow jacket throughout the game - makes no difference to the story had they worn a blue jacket instead. Is the jacket fetishised now? Erm, no. It's really just a part of that player, well, playing the role. It's servicing that player's immersion into the story they are engaging with.

And that's a fundamental part of experiencing CP's story. Role-playing. Which is where the character creator comes in >> which is where representation comes in. Now, I've already tried to talk in detail about why I think that's important and what the value of that is - even so far as to give you a very specific and nuanced example to help you reconsider the way you're thinking about the CC - but I'm not gonna rehash that. It's there to be re-read if anyone's interested.

There's really not much else I can say here. I think we just have very different ways of thinking about various things and it seems to me like you're not comfortable with someone expressing views linked to the topic that don't neatly fit the tracks you've tried to lay out. But whether you like it or not, there are always going to be things you haven't considered and alternative angles you could be looking at things from. I dunno, try to open your mind a bit.

lol ah yes that guy. Does he even show up in shots? I noticed that some of the ads are blacked out in photomode. That's part of the issue for me. Surface level, things look hyper mature but when you play it's censored or just executed poorly. I don't really have an issue with the a** cheeks guy but it's as you said, he's everywhere.
He is haunting me!

youtube vid, timestamped to 7:44

Last edited:
Already mentioned in this topic, look for "Modest ads 2077. " I don't know if that allows replacing individual ads, but one you are looking for is Bottoms Up braindance ad in game, so that's what you look replacing.

I kinda hate that I can't like your post, as this particular matter isn't an issue for me, but because your post is perfect example how to give feedback without being pretentious. Without creating false
I think an oversexualised dystopian world really nails the feeling on the head, but I think they need to juxtaposition it with a more trad life. Like... if V could have an option to have a wife and kid to come home too? That would provide a major major juxtaposition. Also, the oversexualization of a world of grim that should be repulsive to people. Attractive and sexy sure, but not something you want. Idk, it feels like an indictment on the modern world.
For male V there's Panam and that storyline I felt worked as juxtaposition, though that happens very late game. I gotta say I also found River's line, playing AGR game with his sisters kids fun and juxtaposition moment. There's certain irony that River might not work as well for female players playing female V as CRDP may have intended. It was great with bro River and juxtaposition worked as children present the continuation of the world, flow of life, such things. I really appreciate CDRP breaking new ground there as it was something I don't think has been ever done in a video game before.
Do these perversions also cover bi-sexuality? I'm curious because protagonist of Ghost in the Shell where you get your username is a bi-sexual. While I don't recall if this was covered in any GitS anime, there's this whole lesbian orgy she throws at her yacht in Masamune's manga. Thing is caused a bit controversy in the US but I don't know if manga got censored. Doesn't change the facts about her sexuality though.

I'm honestly trying to understand. Lot's of stuff I have read on these forums during past years, that can happen, but this one is just so fucking strange that I'm in at loss about where we are going to go from this point?
You were called out to present scenario from cyberpunk media to support this claim, and you came out with scenario from Blade Runner which doesn't support your claim. While sexual exploitation is present in some of the works, it actually isn't in all. I mentioned Sterlings, Islands in the Net earlier which protagonist is a mother married to husband and they have a child. Obviously that child didn't came out of nowhere. Novel also portrays their life and sex is part of couples life. Sex and sexuality isn't presented in negative ways and why should it as its part of their normal life.

The cyberpunk story that inspired William Gibson, City Come a-Walkin' by John Shirley protagonist has a sexual relationship with a woman, author also goes to describe gay culture in city as beautiful. Philosophical aspects of that novel directly contradicts what you have been claiming since your OP.

Then Gibson's Neuromancer and Sprawl trilogy, CDPR actually lifted something from Mona's story line but it's not like all sexuality is portrayed negative way at all. Casual sex to what came of protagonist, Case we learn in the last novel of trilogy that he went and founded a family.

Classic cyberpunk isn't portraying sexuality or nudity in negative means, it's not genre that in Freudian terms is somehow hostile to very life itself. Modern works, call them Post-Cyberpunk of Neo Cyberpunk, Anne Mocikat's Behind Blue Eye's series, I think if there's one cyberpunk novel that may appeal to wider female audience, it's this series. It sure as heck isn't shy about sexuality. There's also this positive / negative aspects presented.

Then the most recent work I have read is a game tie-in Cyberpunk 2077: No Coincidence by Rafał Kosik. It's mature story with mostly mature characters having mature needs. I mentioned Freud before, certain aspects of it are perhaps better in intellectual sense that it gets credit for. Doesn't support claim about cyberpunk having certain kind of negative association with sexuality, nudity and other aspects of adult life.

Heh...there are indeed mods that tone down the omnipresent ads in the game, although maybe not just that particular one. I'm just about as good at 'tuning out' the ads in the game as I am in real life.

All this commentary [and other threads on unrelated topics] just point up to me how different people's views can be on how the game presents itself. My main 'complaint' isn't about the nudity/sexuality aspect, but rather how unevenly it seems to be developed in the story and background. It just seems contradictory and disjointed.

Last edited:
What does decadence and perversion have to to with anything I wrote? I was talking about inclusive representation. Is your argument that the character creator shouldn't provide that because it's "perverse"?? Please tell me that's not what you meant.
You have misunderstood what I meant: Cyberpunk is not an utopia of equality, it is a decadent society in which everything goes, and we aren't talking about sexual minorities but all sexual fetishes/paraphilias. It's an oversexualized society, not an accepting one. You have people with reversed genitals due to that, NOT because of tolerance. So it's hard to differentiate "trans inclusion" from fetishisation in this setting.

Do these perversions also cover bi-sexuality? I'm curious because protagonist of Ghost in the Shell where you get your username is a bi-sexual. While I don't recall if this was covered in any GitS anime, there's this whole lesbian orgy she throws at her yacht in Masamune's manga. Thing is caused a bit controversy in the US but I don't know if manga got censored. Doesn't change the facts about her sexuality though.
Never said sexual orientations were perversions. Perversions are something else. I'm surprised you think they could be referred to as the same thing. Let's name an example: Caligula and Sade were perverts, a queer person is not. A good example of this difference is in the Ghost in the Shell SAC series: Motoko is simply bi, but that politician who liked to swap his brain with geishas because he had a fetish was a pervert, big difference.

By the way, absolutely nobody thinks lesbianism is a perversion. In the West anyway. Furthermore, that juicy lesbian sex scene in the GitS comic that the prude US censored was pure straight male fanservice, IDK why you think Motoko is proper queer representation. It's like saying lesbian porn is lesbian/queer representation.

Last edited:
You have misunderstood what I meant: Cyberpunk is not an utopia of equality, it is a decadent society in which everything goes, and we aren't talking about sexual minorities but all sexual fetishes/paraphilias. It's an oversexualized society, not an accepting one. You have people with reversed genitals due to that, NOT because of tolerance. So it's hard to differentiate "trans inclusion" from fetishisation in this setting.
One of the premises of game is consequences of body sculpting, cyberware and logical conclusion is what we get. Anyone can be any race or gender they want or need (Sidejobs: The Beast, Raymond Chandler Evening). This also goes for age, where Rogue's look's is like a fashion statement as she could look like Hanako (they are about the same age I think) to convert oneself to someone like Smasher.

I think it's you who are misunderstanding premise of this dystopia here. In terms of political philosophy, Night Citizens have a lot of liberty. What game lets us observe, is that all this liberty isn't contributing to quality of life. Their average life expectancy is worse than today, as life expansion is very costly technology (again, high tech, low life). Citizens have means to acquire cyberware, but becoming dependent of that technology, upgrades and such have a lot of negative results, as seen from certain Cyberpsycho jobs, overheard in conversations and observed on some gigs. What options for robot looking full body conversions seen in certain factory for example, have for experiencing sex, but braindances, which equal simply put, fake.

What this dystopia is saying is that we need to think society as whole.

Never said sexual orientations were perversions. Perversions are something else.
We can't read minds you know?

One of the premises of game is consequences of body sculpting, cyberware and logical conclusion is what we get. Anyone can be any race or gender they want or need (Sidejobs: The Beast, Raymond Chandler Evening). This also goes for age, where Rogue's look's is like a fashion statement as she could look like Hanako (they are about the same age I think) to convert oneself to someone like Smasher.

I think it's you who are misunderstanding premise of this dystopia here. In terms of political philosophy, Night Citizens have a lot of liberty. What game lets us observe, is that all this liberty isn't contributing to quality of life. Their average life expectancy is worse than today, as life expansion is very costly technology (again, high tech, low life). Citizens have means to acquire cyberware, but becoming dependent of that technology, upgrades and such have a lot of negative results, as seen from certain Cyberpsycho jobs, overheard in conversations and observed on some gigs. What options for robot looking full body conversions seen in certain factory for example, have for experiencing sex, but braindances, which equal simply put, fake.

What this dystopia is saying is that we need to think society as whole.
You didn't mention the borderline antierotic oversexualization of society that is characteristic of the Cyberpunk series, which is a rather significant factor in what makes said society a dystopia, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

We can't read minds you know?
Which is the reason why you shouldn't make assumptions.

I feel like they shove erotic content in places where it doesn't need to be but in the places where it should be it's lacking. Rather than having so many sexual billboard ads, why not just have it at or around the clubs where it makes sense, Clouds or Mox etc. It's really bizarre how they chose to implement this.
I disagree. In my opinion it follows a natural progression of current trends. An advertising campaign from Eckhaus Latta in 2017 featured models actually having sex. Ad's shot by Terry Richardson [...] for American Apparel and others have been around for roughly 20 years. The American Apparel ad from 2014 featuring a man holding a womans legs open is almost a parallel to one specific ad in Night City, though the name of it escapes me at the moment.

The Stuart Weitzman ad campaign that featured Kim Kardashian, while less graphic than Latta, is on par with what is seen in Cyberpunk, and it's meant to sell boots.

I saw the 4-foot-tall Weitzman ad with Kim squatting in profile showcasing her enormous rump on the corner of Columbus Circle in NYC outside of a chic shopping center with students, young professionals and families all walking past. It was not at all relegated to an area where there were strip clubs or bars and was not deemed controversial.

In Cyberpunk the hypersexualized ads demonstrate an overall desensitization and commercialization of sex which is very much appropriate for a dystopian city that juxtaposes the prevalence of extreme violence and poverty with luxury and decadence. It encapsulates the unbridled corporate influence and moral decay of society. I find it distasteful and disturbing. It's also a realistic, (if not modest) trajectory of where we will be in 50 years.

Perfectly effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention the borderline antierotic oversexualization of society that is characteristic of the Cyberpunk series, which is a rather significant factor in what makes said society a dystopia, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
Why should I have done that? What's the relevancy beyond commercial parties taking advantage of the situation and trying to normalize that culture for profit. Factory worker and many NPC's we see don't have much options beyond like I mentioned fake and for us that complex shows up exactly via things like Bottoms Up advert or Be Your Best Self ad.

I don't know what is this series you write about, do you meant genre? Though I did went over quite a lot of genre novels just a couple of post ago, I still see this claim. Having hooker in a neon light in Night City doesn't make is still just a hooker, having murder done with a smart pistol or tech rifle is still just a murder.

Which is the reason why you shouldn't make assumptions.
No, I meant that your answer was sort of no answer. Being a bi-sexual is one thing, having orgy is not tied to any orientation either, so I just wished you were bit more clear where exactly these lines between perverse and non perverse go?

Like I wrote, I can't read minds but you made it clear that homosexuality isn't perversion, I guess group sex isn't either, but then it would be pervert if Motoko Kusanagi swapped to male shell and engaged in such activities?

I don't know what is this series you write about, do you meant genre?
No, Pondsmith's Cyberpunk IP.

but then it would be pervert if Motoko Kusanagi swapped to male shell and engaged in such activities?
They way she talked about the brain-swapping politician indicates she doesn't find that sort of thing appealing. And yes, that could very well be considered depravity (she's not trans, so that would be a fetish).

An advertising campaign from Eckhaus Latta in 2017 featured models actually having sex. Ad's shot by Terry Richardson [...] for American
That makes sense. I've heard about that absolute piece of work. The likes of him sure would love living in Night City, but unlike most (sane) people, he'd think it's a perfect world lmao.

so I just wished you were bit more clear where exactly these lines between perverse and non perverse go?
I wish Cyberpunk 2077 was too, which is why I don't find the setting to be the most adequate for the purpose of inclusion, it's hard to say if they are equating sexual orientations/gender identities to depraved behavior/oversexualization of society. The difference was perfectly clear in GitS, but here? Not so much.

Last edited:
No, Pondsmith's Cyberpunk IP.
I haven't played the tabletop game. It was translated to Finnish during early 90's but I never came to think of it as serious work in genre. I have read a bit of Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook that is downloadable extra and learned more about background via listening to interviews of Mike Pondsmith and J. Gray (both from R. Talsorian games) and reading some articles with Pondsmith. Only thing related to sexuality I can recall was about how they modeled some of female cast (of tabletop game) after model girls they has posters of. There was additional bit from Mike in LowSodiumCyberpunk reddit where he told about Rogue's personality being inspired from someone he knew in high school.

That said, Pondsmith was also in consultant role, and perhaps at least in one more additional role in CP2077 development , so what we are experiencing is his vision.

I haven't played the tabletop game. It was translated to Finnish during early 90's but I never came to think of it as serious work in genre. I have read a bit of Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook that is downloadable extra and learned more about background via listening to interviews of Mike Pondsmith and J. Gray (both from R. Talsorian games) and reading some articles with Pondsmith. Only thing related to sexuality I can recall was about how they modeled some of female cast (of tabletop game) after model girls they has posters of. There was additional bit from Mike in LowSodiumCyberpunk reddit where he told about Rogue's personality being inspired from someone he knew in high school.

That said, Pondsmith was also in consultant role, and perhaps at least in one more additional role in CP2077 development , so what we are experiencing is his vision.
What I've read is that, in his Cyberpunk world, things such as furries and other gross stuff exist (and aren't judged negatively), due to the oversexualization of epic proportions of that society, which has reached its peak in decadence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom