How does "lock" work in this game?

+
How does "lock" work in this game?

I honestly thought that it would remove all boost but leave "strengthen" status. OR the question might sound, what is "status" in this game?!?!

played against alba armored cavalry as radovid, and intentionally left it there to lock it at the end. While opponent kept playing mahakam ale ( again boost card) And after locking alba it dropped him to half the boosts it recieved or something...

omfg, how horrible this game's ui is. I can't even find out what cards do through experience, have to refer to outside sources...

Lock: stops a card's ongoing ability - like Vran Warrior will no longer consume anything once it's locked. Lock does NOT do anything about points or strength. eg: NG Auckes

Reset: sets any boosted card back to it's default value; so you 'reset' a 20pt boosted card back to it's 5pt default strength. eg: NR Witch hunter

Lock & Reset: combines both. eg: NR Margarita Laux Antille (or whatever she's called now)

Lock & Damage: locks the card and does damage. eg: MO Morvudd / NR Radovid.

Weaken: adjust the default base strength of a card to lower than what it was; lower than zero and the card is banished

Strengthen: adjust the default base strength of a card to higher than what it was

Banished: card is gone for good; does not appear in graveyard and cannot be resurrected.

Hope that helps some.

Lock changes the status of a card and stops ongoing effects coming from this card. It's not supposed to remove buffs.
D-Shackles however also does a bit of damage (see card description)

x1Cygnus;n10550432 said:
. Lock does NOT do anything about points

devivre;n10550462 said:
It's not supposed to remove buffs.

what points? What buffs? You guys only make it more confusing.

I got it, it does nothing about strength. Points/buffs you mean boost? So it doesn't remove boost?

Then what is "status"? mentioned in "lock" desctription?

tealquest;n10550592 said:
what points? What buffs? You guys only make it more confusing.?

You were the one talking about boosts. That's what I mean with buffs.

Status can also be for example the spy status of a card (so you can change a spying card so it's not spying anymore). Or it means that you stop the timer from cards like Borkh.

devivre;n10550632 said:
You were the one talking about boosts. That's what I mean with buffs.

There's a "boost" word in game. But no "buff" word. That's why I'm asking. I can't possibly know what you mean when you say "buff" (in game terms).

devivre;n10550632 said:
Status can also be for example the spy status of a card (so you can change a spying card so it's not spying anymore). Or it means that you stop the timer from cards like Borkh.

But those are just card abilities, why "lock" word mentions abilities and statuses separately?

Also, will lock work against Dudu? dudu copy power is a status or ability?

tealquest;n10550662 said:
There's a "boost" word in game. But no "buff" word. That's why I'm asking. I can't possibly know what you mean when you say "buff" (in game terms).

But those are just card abilities, why "lock" word mentions abilities and statuses separately?

By buffing - as indicated before - I mean the same thing as you by boosting. Anyhow, back on topic :)

Just try the card yourself, for example in practice mode or casual.
That's usually the best to understand it. Although currently cards that lock are not used often, so you might be better off with cards that do damage.

And no, it will not work against Dudu because. There's no ongoing effect you could stop from happening and it doesn't have a spy status. So locking it won't do a thing.

tealquest;n10550662 said:
Nope. It's an ability. Lock works against ongoing effect (every turn exc); deatwish (Iris, Nekkers, Wilhelm, Wilfred); abilities after a few turns (Villentrentmerth, Miruna, Ocvist, there's a counter); ambush units.

devivre;n10550722 said:
Just try the card yourself, for example in practice mode or casual.

I wrote in my op that I jsut can't find it out on practice. The game's ui is horrible, there's no step by step log of event what happened and why, and there's no ingame explanations what is status, no break down how much boost a unit got and how much strength, what is its ability and what is its status and so on. And it seems like noone here knows. You just know what it works against and what doens't but you don't even know why. This game is Fing hell...

masttt23;n10550782 said:
Nope. It's an ability.

if its an ability lock should work against it. It says it disables card abilities...

Buffs / boosts: are essentially the same thing - this is when the cards value turns green - you may have heard the term 'hand buff' - this is when a card gets boosted whilst still in your hand & before you play it on the board, so it will hit the board at that increased value. ST make use of this quite a lot.

Strength: the cards strength is show in white figures. This is its default value, and what the card value is in points as standard prior to any boosts, strengthening, weakening or damage.

Damage: is shown on a card face as a red number: if you damage a card with 10pts of Strength and then Reset it, it will return it to 10pts. If you damage a 10pt card that has been boosted to any amount and the damage reduces this below 10 and then you reset it, it will return to its 10pt strength and NOT its boosted value before the damage.

All boosts are lost once the card hits the graveyard, and if you resurrect it, it will return at its default strength, unless you increased or decreased this through a utility like Mandrake.

Weakening; lowers the cards base strength (white number) to lower than what it is by default. If you weaken a card to zero or lower then the card is banished for the entirety of that game; it cannot be resurrected or interacted with in any other way for the entirety of that game. Any reset you do on a weakened card will return its value to the weakened value and NOT its default value. So if you have a 10pt card that is weakened to 4pts, and then damaged by 3, resetting it will return its value to 4 and NOT 10.

Hope that helps some.

tealquest;n10550942 said:
if its an ability lock should work against it. It says it disables card abilities...

It doesn't really disable abilities, it stops ongoing effects. Dudu doesn't fall into that category.

A unit spying is an ongoing thing you can lock.
A resilient unit is an ongoing thing you can stop.
A card with a timer like Ocvist or Villentretenmerth is also an ongoing thing you can stop. And so on.

x1Cygnus;n10551162 said:
Hope that helps some.

No it doesn't, you are not answering my question about "lock". Lock got in its description: disable abilities and other statuses.

What is status? (Other than spy - even though I thought its an ability)

What is ability?

What's the difference between these two? I honestly thought ability is everything a card got as a text on it. And status is all boosts it got. But aparently not. That's why I'm asking.

And if dudu's is an ability why lock won't disable it?

Armor is a status or ability? or neither?

Last edited:
devivre;n10551172 said:
It doesn't really disable abilities

So you want to say "Lock" description is incorrect? Cause it says it exactly like this: "disable abilities and other statuses"

tealquest;n10551732 said:
So you want to say "Lock" description is incorrect? Cause it says it exactly like this: "disable abilities and other statuses"

No, but it could be a bit more precise I guess.

It's simply like this: you can't cancel something that has already happened!

In case of Dudu when he's on the board he already did what he was supposed to do. That's why locking makes no sense.

If your opponent plays a card like Succubus, that charms one of your units within two turns it's an ongoing effect (or ability, as the description calls it) - in that case you can lock it and deny the effect.

There is also Resilence (a resilent unit basically stays on the board when the round ends), which is a status too and will be cleared by lock too.

tealquest;n10551212 said:
No it doesn't, you are not answering my question about "lock". Lock got in its description: disable abilities and other statuses.

What is status? (Other than spy - even though I thought its an ability)

tealquest;n10552062 said:
So the only "status" in the game is spying for now?

Not quite, no.

"Status" means the state of the card at any given time, which most of the time is a binary - it is NOT an ability.

Resilience is a status; a unit is either resilient, or it's not.

Lock is a status; a unit is either locked, or it's not.

Spying is a status; a unit is either spying, or it's not

"Ability" is what the card does when it's played on the board.

Eg: Vrihedd Dragoons 'ability' is: "Boost a random non spying unit in your hand by 1 on turn end"

If this unit is Locked - this Ability no longer functions even though the card will remain on the board.

Yarpen Zigrin's 'ability' is: "Whenever a Dwarf ally appears, boost self by 1", but his 'status' is: Resilient. Resilience status is lost on all units that have it once the round in which they were played has ended, and the next round has started, or if they are Locked.

Does that about cover it?

Last edited:
Wow, those explanations were so unclear.

tealquest I agree there is problem with UI.

The term of status was explained, cuz there are only three kinds of status: spy, resilience and lock.

The issue of abilities is really simply. There are two kinds of abilities:
1. Active abilities - when u deploy a unit on the board, its ability actives immediately, but only once
2. Passive abilities - as long unit is in the game, its abillity will keep on working under certain circumstances

Lock is used to block/unblock already explained status and passive abilities.

There is problem in UI, where CDPR didn't describe which ability is active or passive. Passive skills are using key words like "each turn", "after x turns", "every time", "whenever (...) boost, damage etc.", "deathwish". Active plays are using simple imperatives - "play, create, spawn, ressurect, summon" without passive key words. Of course its not strict definition, but reasoning player should tell the diffrence.

Top Bottom