How many years have you played games ?

+

Guest 3765545

How many years have you played games ?

I play games from 1993 I started with console games my first console was a Atari 2600.

Hmm, I don't remember exactly. I was born in 1992 and I got a Nintendo somewhere around 96-97. I LOVED it but unfortunately I didn't get to play a lot of very influential titles like Super Mario 3 or any of the Legend of Zelda games. I got my first computer, a shitty-ass 486 in 1999 so I got to play a lot of classic titles like Doom (which I still think is the best shooter of all time), Duke Nukem 3D, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia, a TON of adventure games and so forth. In 2002 I got a Pentium 2 on which I was finally able to play Mortal Kombat 3 and 4 (I was absolutely obsessed with MK back then) without having to go to internet cafes to play it. Also got to play more advanced games. But back then my greatest desire was to have a PC capable of running GTA 3 and Vice City. I finally got a Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM and a Geforce 4 and I played GTA 3 and Vice City over and over and over again...Then Doom 3 came out and my PC was BARELY able to run it, I remember being stunned by how the game looked. Holy shit it still looks good after 11 years.

During 2005-2006 I discovered World of Warcraf and if you thought my gaming obsession stopped there you are dead wrong. For about 2 years I was the stereotypical WoW addict (not overweight though) and my mother was getting worried. In 2008 I got a Core 2 Duo with 2 Gigs of RAM, and a Geforce 8400GS to play WoW better. About 2 years later I got a GeForce 250GTS, an upgraded GTX 9800. I still play WoW today (although casually) and have 270 days of real time /played. I remember the first time I killed Illidan and Arthas. I thought Ventrilo was going to deafen me.

Around this time I also discovered The Witcher and I was absolutely blown away by it. Then came Mass Effect and Dragon Age during 2009 and I was similarly impressed.

Fast-forward to 2011 and The Witcher 2 was fast approaching just as I was finishing High School. I had never owned a particularly powerful PC but I was determined to play The Witcher 2 as it was meant to be played so I bought the computer I still own for it. It has a 2500k, 4 Gigs of RAM (Upgraded to 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance this October) and an AMD Radeon HD6970. My 6970 fried last summer and since my replacement was a shitty ass Geforece 9600 for about 6 months that is when I discovered Minecraft (WARNING, it is more addictive than crack). I have been working on a huuuge medieval city ever since (I can post pics if you want).

Dragon Age Inquisition was fast approaching and I needed a video card. The GTX 970 had just come out and I got one and I got a Corsair TX 750 PSU as well. Now I am waiting for The Witcher 3 and I think my PC is ready.

Well, this is my story. I have left out many of my favorite games because I forgot about them while I was writing this or the list simply would have gotten too big.

Last edited:
My first console was an Atari 2600. My parents bought it for me in 1988. But I was playing games at least 2 years before that. My grand mother took me to the arcades from time to time.

In 1988 I also played with the computers at my school. We have 10 commodore 64 there. Every 4 classes, the teacher let us play. My favorites were "Kung Fu Master", "1942" and "Commando".

Last edited:
Since 1997-ish. Started out on my uncles' old NES. Then went to PC gaming-lite, then gamecube, then a little bit more core PC gaming (mostly branded games though), then we got a Wii, and then I started getting into PC gaming hardcore. Played The Witcher for the first time in 2012 and The Witcher 2 in 2014.

Since 1997-98 I believe...? I've always been a PC gamer - and not a really hardcore one. Back in the days I used to play a lot of demos, I had a disc full of racing games demos, but it had different kind of games on it as well, some being: Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Carmageddon, Death Rally, Micro Machines, Midtown Madness and this thing... ah, the memories. Other than that, I used to play a bunch of small no-name DOS games, but I had tons of fun with them... too bad I can't find them now. Also played Aladdin, Lion King and stuff like that.

My first few 'serious' games would be The Neverhood, Warcraft 1, Age of Empires II, FIFA World Cup 98 and maybe GTA 1 (I didn't really follow the story).

Edit: Looking at the things above - I don't even understand how The Witcher franchise ended up being one of my favorites, not a single RPG to be found... :happy:

Last edited:
Since the early 90's. And a hardcore RPG fan since Diablo in '96, and Baldur's Gate in '98. Not interested since then at any game that did not have some RPG elements(with few exceptions of course, like Half Life).

Since about 1993/94...

Doom video game is a first person shooter created by id Software in 1993 by a group led by John Romero. This game works under MS-DOS operating system, use 4 MB of RAM and requires at least a 386 processor at 33 MHz or 25 MHz to 486.

Started somewhere in the mid-90s. On one those Russian knock-off game systems, for which you could get a cartridge with like 100 games on it. Later moved on to the Playstation, then the Dreamcast. Shortly after I got my very first PC and I have been a PC gamer ever since.

Hmmm, I think for me I really started getting into it around 1989-90. Track and Field, Mario, Duckhunt, lots of NES games were my first major foray into gaming. Soon after is was SNES and Genesis with SMB, Secret of Mana (my first RPG), MK, Jurassic Park, Sonic, and more . After that I got into PC gaming more, lots of adventure games (from Kings Quest to Grim Fandango), space sims, and first person shooters (from Dark Forces to Half Life).

My parents never really liked me playing games, so it was a PC for a long time (since it was multipurpose) as they wouldn't buy me or let me buy a console; always had to go over to friends' houses to play those. Eventually I got my first job and then I secretly bought my first console - a Dreamcast. Shortly after I got myself an N64 as well. Eventually my parents found out and took them away from me, but decided to give them back after a couple months. I haven't slowed much in my gaming since, really getting into RPGs, shooters, and fighting games and pretty much every other genre to some degree.

I loved the first Mass Effect and when I heard about a little company called CDPR developing a game using the Aurora engine to make a darker, fantasy game, I was immediately interested. Followed Witcher 1's development all the way through and been playing it and a fan of the franchise ever since.

Since 1988 Damn 27 years and still not tired of it.

Started with a Nintendo Game & Watch (oil panic and Donkey Kong) and a Commodore 64. Later a NES and then think around 1990 a PC.
I know at some point there was a Atari but damn can't even remember when that was.

My first console was a super nintendo, when I was 6 or so?

My very first PC game was Close Combat III, the Eastern Front. My dad for some reason thought it would be great for a 10 year old to play a visceral, bloody, violent, and difficult tactical game set in WW2.

Now look at how I turned out.

I think I was 6 when I got my Playstation 1, which was in 1999, spent a lot of time with all the cool games around that time like Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, and Crash Bandicoot, Spyro.

I can't really remember when, but I think when I was around 11, I got a Playstation 2 (still have it and still works to this day).

Then I think in 2007, I had enough money to buy my first PC, which is the one I'm still using, so its been running for 8 years now. And this is the point where it can't run new games, so now I'm thinking about either buying a new one, or getting a Playstation 4.

Played the SNES occasionally at people's houses. Got a computer in 1995 and that was the beginning of a decadent life of vice.

30..... hmmmm... i don't know an exact date but it seems like a reason for celebratioin! :D Before kindergarten i was kicking my father's ass at pong :D I hatad that f* place and when Chernobyl blew it was a f* nightmare..... So i've made a deal - i'll go to kindergarten IF he'll best me at pong. He had to revisit previous agreement after my Ma's intervention wtf i'm not going there at all. Uhhhh and food was a nightmare.... brrr..... You've just had to make that topic so i would have to face my childhood trauma again didn't You? ;PPPPP Lugol........ Milk soup....... arrrrrrr........ @_@

I started playing video games since 7 years old, so that's from 1997. I did not play games very much at that time, or rather was not allowed to play games a lot by parents. I mainly played a lot of educational games at the time.

Eventually they stopped allowing me to play video games, thinking that it was a bad influence. However, it did not stop me from going to the cybercafe and playing Command & Conquer which was my favorite game in my childhood. My particular favorites were Yuri's Revenge, Tiberian Sun and Zero Hour. I also played Doom and Max Payne on the side.

Then after I entered college, I got into gaming big time. I was a big fan of Need for Speed, Burnout and CounterStrike. After that, I moved onto RPGs like The Witcher, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I also ditched Command & Conquer after EA ruined it and moved to Civilization.

Now I am retired. Temporarily. I am doing my postgraduate studies and find it difficult to balance gaming with research, dissertation, conference presentations and TA work. I will get back to gaming once I finished my postgrad and got a steady job to afford a beastly gaming rig. I still follow the gaming news and forums. Sometimes I wished I hadn't because gaming seems to have taken a turn for the worse with DLCs, early access, microtransactions, unethical journalism, false advertising, social justice and now paid mods.

As for platforms, I have only played video games on the good ole' PC. I did play some games on the Brick Game. Remember that device ? I never got a chance to play on consoles because once again, strict parents. But I think that is for the best because well, Master Race :thumbsup:. I am the eldest so there was a lot of expectation to perform and study well hence the strictness. I mean my younger brother is now allowed to play games on a PSP. Grrr...

Anyway, I have been playing games on and off for about 18+ years now. The only other thing I did longer than that was reading books and watching cartoons.

Top Bottom