Jobs Support Register

Installing the Enhanced Edition from DVD

+

zakkarum

Poser
#1
Installing the Enhanced Edition from DVD

This is a work-in-progress FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 , do check it often as new tips are being addedAtari Germany offers troubleshooting regarding 2 frequent error messages:Please insert original DVD:Atari exchanges your broken game DVD 1 http://forums.eu.atari.com/showthread.php?t=864651) Send an email with your postal adress with your EE cd key number to TWEE@atarisupport.de !!2) you will get a new DVD 1 as soon as possible.!! This is for Germany only. Such beeing the case this error message also refers ot other international versions, please check your local Atari agency or check the Atari forum of your country.Upgrade message patch 1.4 and patch 1.4.5.1280 Problem: You have already the complete new EE version but when you start your game the message "check for new patch upgrade" flashes and you are recommanded to download patch 1.4 though you already have patch 1.4.5.1280.This is nonsense ;D If you have already 1.4.5.1280 you don't need patch 1.4. Don't download patch 1.4 then! http://forums.eu.atari.com/showthread.php?t=86334Q: Game crashing or DVD not recognized on systems running Nero 7 or Symantec SuitesTip: Try to disable these applications and run/install the game ( quit the application, and end any left over processes in the TaskManager, even uninstall them and reboot, since they may leave active processes still running in the background that you can't terminate and that may interfere with the game )Q: Bonus DVD not recognised by the InstallerTip: You might try to make an image of the disk and use that to continue installing:
TheCymro said:
Just thought I'd share my experiences with my installation problem since I found a workaround to the "Insert Bonus Game Content Disc" problem that may hopefully work for others. It involves creating and mounting images of the original media but works perfectly, though why the original media doesn't work is a mystery to me, since I'd imagine an image would be exactly the same as the original. Anyway, here's what to do.0. Download and install the freeware tool MagicDisk from http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm.1. Insert your Enhanced Edition install DVD.2. Launch MagicDisc and select Make CD/DVD Image from the tray icon.3. Ensure that the drive containing the DVD is selected in the Source CD/DVD-ROM drop-down menu.4. Choose an appropriate location and name to store an 'image' of this DVD under Output File. For convenience I called mine Witcher1.5. Click on OK. It'll take quite some time (10-20 minutes) so go and watch TV or something and come back later.6. Do the same for the Bonus Content Disc, calling it anything you want - Witcher2 sounds good.7. From the MagicDisc tray icon, go to Options and disable Autoverify (you may leave it on if you wish, but it takes a few minutes to verify and seems pointless - I've had no problems with this disabled - in fact I installed it without verifying).8. From the MagicDisc tray icon, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, then to G: No Media (may not be G: but doesn't matter),. Select this then Mount. Then navigate to Witcher1 and open it.9. Continue to install as you normally would (or wouldn't, as the case may be), and when the installer asks from the "Bonus Game Content Disc", repeat step 8 and select Witcher2 before continuing with the installation. It actually works!10. Once the installation is finished, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM again, click on Witcher2 and Unmount.11. Insert the original install DVD and play.Yes, it looks long-winded, but once you're done at least you can play the damn game. I've only tried it on one machine, but if this worked for me I don't see why it can't work for anyone else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------Yesterday I went to the local Gameshop in Zurich, Switzerland to buy myself a copy of the Enhanced Edition. Everything on the box was in German, btw. When I tried to install the game, the process was really slow. After 40 minutes, the DVD began to rotate like crazy in the drive. (I own the regular version of the Witcher and it didn't seem to take this long to install the last time) I checked the installer, it was installing all the music files for the game. I tried to cancel the process, but no success. So I force shut down my computer to try it a second time... alas the same thing, the only difference was, that it happened a little earlier this time. When I try to copy the files from the dvd to a folder on my harddrive, the same problem, suddenly the disk rotates like crazy and makes a loud, rattling noise...So my question is: Has the german retail version a bugged DVD and isn't shipped because of that in Germany until the 25th of September?[MOD]Added some info[/MOD]
 

vanworden

NC Citizen
#2
I haven’t heard that theory ;DYou have to contact the shop in which you bought the game – there are obliged to give you back the money or give you other copy of the game….If the problem will come out once again then it MAY be the proof to that theory I can promise you that in that case we will check that outCheers
 

zakkarum

Poser
#4
Thanks for your fast replies!My DVD Drive seems to be OK, I successfully reinstalled the regular edition of The Witcher this morning. I'll try to install the EE on the computer of a friend, to see if he's got the same problems with it.
 
#5
I have a question for those who bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition in a shop?Is all the improvement, new character animation an all the new NPC models and patches. Bacially all that makes it the enhanced Edition! Is it stored on disc 1 or if you install disc 1, do you just get the regular old The WItcher version. Do you need to use the bonus disc to get it updated with all the new things?I knw that the Editor and the two extra missions is located on disc 2, but all the other enhancement. Do you only need the first disc to install those and will it then be the enhanced Witcher.
 

TiLT

Poser
#6
Now now, who's being a naughty boy and downloading from P2P networks? ;)Fear not though, I'm doing the same thing. The game won't run after the patch for me, and the EAX fixes don't help. I'm giving the full version a whirl to see if it's the patching process that causes the issues or the game itself. From what I can tell, you only need disc 1 for the basic stuff.
 
#7
Actually I bought the retail version and its a very nice package. However I have been unable to play it, because I am not at home and I would like to know if you have to change disc or if the bonus disc is just something you can install after you installed the main game?Could someone who has bought The WItcher Enhanced Edition please tell me if you only need disc 1 to install the main game with all the enhancement?
 

TiLT

Poser
#8
Ah, sorry about that then. :)Just to be clear, I own a legal version of the game myself. Just trying to figure out why it won't work with the patch.
 

BooRanger

Poser
#9
Yo, I can't install the Witcher Enhanced edition off the dvd. The installer starts and in frist few seconds it brings up this ---------------------------CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS---------------------------Failed(-2147024894): The system cannot find the file specified.---------------------------OK ---------------------------if I press ok I can continue on but when i press install it thinks i have no disk space but I do have 400gb. I also have a silly dell made recovery drive which has 10gb.---------------------------The Witcher Enhanced Edition - InstallShield Wizard---------------------------There is not enough space to install these option(s).Please free up some disk space or modify your selections.---------------------------OK ---------------------------I tryed to run it on my laptop which has xp and it works fine.I've also tryed to install it in safe mode. I run vista on my pc.I have 9800x2Quad core 2.4ghz4gbAny ideas would be great.Boo
 

TiLT

Poser
#11
I've come far enough with my own process here now that I'm able to answer your question. You don't have to patch the game, so it's fully updated on disc 1. However, you need both discs for the install, even if you're only going to install the absolute basics. I don't know if it actually installs something from the second disc in that case or if it just does it to check that you have it, but that's how it works.
 

Eri94_user70

Ghost
#12
Zakkarum said:
Yesterday I went to the local Gameshop in Zurich, Switzerland to buy myself a copy of the Enhanced Edition. Everything on the box was in German, btw. When I tried to install the game, the process was really slow. After 40 minutes, the DVD began to rotate like crazy in the drive. (I own the regular version of the Witcher and it didn't seem to take this long to install the last time) I checked the installer, it was installing all the music files for the game. I tried to cancel the process, but no success. So I force shut down my computer to try it a second time... alas the same thing, the only difference was, that it happened a little earlier this time. When I try to copy the files from the dvd to a folder on my harddrive, the same problem, suddenly the disk rotates like crazy and makes a loud, rattling noise...So my question is: Has the german retail version a bugged DVD and isn't shipped because of that in Germany until the 25th of September?
Zakkarum said:
Thanks for your fast replies!My DVD Drive seems to be OK, I successfully reinstalled the regular edition of The Witcher this morning. I'll try to install the EE on the computer of a friend, to see if he's got the same problems with it.
[size=11pt]OMG!! hello? the thread went off-topic by 22 pages ago and the moderators let it run wild. This thread was made not for patch installation problems! There are other thread about 1.4 patch installing problems so why people let this thread go off-topic :( This thread is about someone in switzerland trying to install the retail copy of the EE and I want to know what happened to him/her? We need help![/size]Zakkarum!! Did the DVD work in your friends computer?I have same problem, I install my game with disk 1 then when it asks for disk 2 it never finds it! I bought a new DVD drive should come on monday but if it still doesn't work then that means I got disk that are blank with my EE retail verison.
 

Licaon_Kter

NetWatch
#13
AJCN said:
This thread is about someone in switzerland trying to install the retail copy of the EE and I want to know what happened to him/her? We need help![/size]
it was but somehow many users posting without searching first made things go out of handorder will reinstaure in a bit :)
 

hamlindo

Poser
#14
LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
This thread is about someone in switzerland trying to install the retail copy of the EE and I want to know what happened to him/her? We need help![/size]
it was but somehow many users posting without searching first made things go out of handorder will reinstaure in a bit :)
No it won't the forum is in a far far worst state. Now someone with patch installation or EE instalation problems has a thread with 349 posts about completely different problems half of which make no sense at all because the sequence they we posted in is lost. Can't say I am surprised everything else is f**ked up with the EE patch only right you screw up the forum as well.
 

Licaon_Kter

NetWatch
#16
Hamlindo said:
No it won't the forum is in a far far worst state. Now someone with patch installation or EE instalation problems has a thread with 349 posts about completely different problems half of which make no sense at all because the sequence they we posted in is lost. Can't say I am surprised everything else is f**ked up with the EE patch only right you screw up the forum as well.
if everybody would search first and post later in the right thread instead of opening one new thread for *their* problem, we would not have this conversation, not to mention the "why do you delete my thread" posts... :(
 

risa2000.636

Poser
#17
LicaonKter said:
if everybody would search first and post later in the right thread instead of opening one new thread for *their* problem, we would not have this conversation, not to mention the "why do you delete my thread" posts... :(
Since you are marked as Moderator, I hope I will not go much off-topic with this:Yesterday, I have been looking for verifying my downloaded files using checksum, since there were people complaining about the corrupted files and since I have downloaded them from "unofficial location". Indeed, after few searches, I found the thread already discussing this, called something like "checksum for downloaded files."I responded to this thread with my checksums (basically confirming what some others have already posted, and added few there were not posted yet). After few hours, I wanted to add something to this thread and could not find it. In fact the only way to find my post was to go to my profile and check "my posts", only to see that my post with checksums was merged to some other thread, which was completely irrelevant and which was originally started about completely different problems. The original thread with checksums was lost and I was not able to track the messages either.It was clearly moderator's work who took the thread, which had very good name (indicating exactly what was in the thread) and which stayed focused on its own topic so far, and merged it (and deleted it) into some mega thread which was hard to follow after few pages.I do not know who did it and why, but I would like to point out that sometimes it is not users who are to blame. I have even got subscribed to this thread somehow...So now, you can probably take your original post and my response and move it into separate thread so we can eventually discuss it there and we do not clutter technical issues here, what would you say?
 

Licaon_Kter

NetWatch
#18
risa2000 said:
So now, you can probably take your original post and my response and move it into separate thread so we can eventually discuss it there and we do not clutter technical issues here, what would you say?
let's end this right here please, we want your problems fixed, and you want to be out of here and play the game.back on topic, did you try a different DVD drive? new firmware?
 

waynejj

Poser
#19
hiya guys i just bought the ee game yesterday from the shop i installed it everything ok so far but when i start it up my check 4 updates is flashing is that normal or what thanks guys
 

BooRanger

Poser
#20
Solved: Had deleted my public folder which the game needed to install.
BooRanger said:
Yo, I can't install the Witcher Enhanced edition off the dvd. The installer starts and in frist few seconds it brings up this ---------------------------CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS---------------------------Failed(-2147024894): The system cannot find the file specified.---------------------------OK ---------------------------if I press ok I can continue on but when i press install it thinks i have no disk space but I do have 400gb. I also have a silly dell made recovery drive which has 10gb.---------------------------The Witcher Enhanced Edition - InstallShield Wizard---------------------------There is not enough space to install these option(s).Please free up some disk space or modify your selections.---------------------------OK ---------------------------I tryed to run it on my laptop which has xp and it works fine.I've also tryed to install it in safe mode. I run vista on my pc.I have 9800x2Quad core 2.4ghz4gbAny ideas would be great.Boo