Is the community becoming terrible?

+
The_Odinson;n9124420 said:
Ok, so I started playing this game about 4 weeks ago. Everything seemed awesome. People were nice. You got ggs after every game. The forums were cool. Streamers were cool and their chats seemed fun. I'm slowly building my collection. The Weather patch hits, and salt seems to start. I survive that. New patch, and sweet the faction I picked that kind of sucked before seems good. Then suddenly, every time I play, even in casual its full of people emoting when they have their second round win. Its people playing 100% net decks taunting me the entire time we play. The streamers all seem saltier. Their are a lot of decks in the meta, but there seem to be tons of counter styles. Like its very Roshambo, and people seem to relish in winning their good matchups. I felt like the game was very different from HS in community, and this week has totally turned me south. Its still better, but it seems like its getting bad quickly. I guess that's probably more of a product of this day and age more than the game itself.

1) All game communities are the same. There aren't bad one's or good one's. It might seem like that because one game might have a small population and another game has a large population. Might also just be different experiences. But in the end there is nothing making some people nice and some people not nice. The internet is full of bad and good people just like real life.

2) Every deck is essentially a net deck. The game isn't that big and there are only so many good decks to make out of the cards that we have. Anything you play is either a net deck or a variation of a net deck.

3) Mute your opponents if you don't want to hear any emotes.

This is the age of the online tough guy (or gal). Good luck finding a forum ANYWHERE that doesn't have a fairly significant douchbag population. The mods on here are quite proficient at seeing and removing the most offensive. That being said, as the game grows in popularity so will the douchbag population. That's in addition to the folks mentioned above who dumped a bunch of cash on kegs and then had their beautiful unoriginal netdeck nerfed to hell. That's the downside of forums. Some people have the mindset "If you don't agree with me you're an arsehole, idiot, moron" or whatever the insult of the day is

Zjiin;n9128890 said:
The worse a game gets, the worse the community gets.

Its no coincedence that GWENT is becoming much, much worse as a game and the community is following its lead.

The game is just as good as it has ever been honestly.

SkippyHole;n9126340 said:
I've not noticed much spam or roping so far, which are the biggest signs of a bad community. Quite a few people don't give GG for a loss, but that includes me (I refuse to give it if you've clearly just netdecked, which I think puts people off). On forums and Reddit, people do complain too much, but that's pretty much what they are for. For me, the worst part of the community is the constant netdecking, too many people lack ideas of their own, but so far this patch I haven't seen that rut of five games in a row against the same deck, so I'm not too annoyed so far.

I really don't get the net decking complaint. Do you really think that the decks that you use are completely unique to you? Any decent deck has been made and point online. Everything is a netdeck.

StrykerxS77x;n9129260 said:
I really don't get the net decking complaint. Do you really think that the decks that you use are completely unique to you? Any decent deck has been made and point online. Everything is a netdeck.

Looking at a better players deck and using it for ideas or inspiration is one thing. Copying them card for card is lame.

I've encountered quite a bit of ropers, and a few spammers, nothing too annoying. As of GGs, I'm not even going to put them in the same category as the previous things. Don't make a big deal out of GGs, it was not meant to be a big deal. I give it to everyone, even to the ones that rope me.

I don't usually GG when the opponent forfeits the game after I drew my last card and he doesn't have any more cards. It's pretty rude to me when its only about 5 seconds of time between telling him that he has lost.

supafreaky;n9129310 said:
Looking at a better players deck and using it for ideas or inspiration is one thing. Copying them card for card is lame.

While I do agree with this because I always try to put my own variation on a deck and try different things, some people just want to climb the ladder with the best decks. Not my cup of tea but I can't really fault anyone for just trying to win.

Capnpunchy;n9129500 said:
While I do agree with this because I always try to put my own variation on a deck and try different things, some people just want to climb the ladder with the best decks. Not my cup of tea but I can't really fault anyone for just trying to win.

But this is exactly what makes game horribly dull. Most players use OP netdecks. What fun in that? They believe that climbing the ladder is most important, not the game itself. Until appropriate balancing will take place I personally decided to pass.

Hovgaard;n9129680 said:
But this is exactly what makes game horribly dull. Most players use OP netdecks. What fun in that? They believe that climbing the ladder is most important, not the game itself. Until appropriate balancing will take place I personally decided to pass.

Dont get your hopes up then im afraid, this game hasnt been balanced for months. This is the best balance its had for a long time and its still poor at best.

idomyownstunts;n9129740 said:
I haven't changed. I was always an a-hole. I was a closed a-hole and now I'm an open a- hole. Wait what. You know what I mean. Grr.

:mad:

I see what you did there.

Yea ive notice this too...in closed beta 100% GG...now its like 50%...especially high rank players like 19+ never GG when they loose to a lower rank...The forum looks decent even on reddit

I'm basically a casual player and i meet a lot of irritating people: forfeiting right when they see they lost and no gg ( if they have the decency to gg, i don't mind the forfeit that much. I still find it rude, like someone mentioned a few posts above ), roping, playing all their cards when it's clear as day they already won.

I played a little ranked in the beginning of the OB, got to rank 6 and then i kept losing, so i stuck to casual mode. After the patch and the change in the ranking system/points i decided to give it another try, hoping to get some extra kegs ( i'm still missing a lot of golds and silvers ). I'm very happy i managed to reach rank 11 without much difficulty and get my hands on a few extra kegs, but the best part was that i barely met any as*holes and almost everyone ( except maybe 2 or 3 people ) gave gg, even the last second forfeiters. I would imagine, in ranked mode, people would be more salty when they lose, so i was pleasantly surprised. Maybe people were more kind because, rather than a netdeck, i play with a kind of random ST deck, or i was just lucky to be matched up with nice people. Definitely the most fun i've had since i stated playing Gwent. :)

I only GG if I find the game to have been interesting, win or lose. Its a stupid mechanic the way it is since most treat it just as another button to press before leaving the game, no though at all what its intention is. I dont think its in any way "bad sport" to not press GG, the choice is there for a reason, let people make that choice. What they base it on is up to them.
Personally, I think any bonus should only apply if both players press GG though.

Forfeiting is fine, no need spending more time on a match if you know youve lost it.

Capnpunchy;n9129500 said:

I play casual (mostly, anyway). If your one of those people who spam netdecks in casual, stop playing Gwent and find an actual hobby, you are wasting your life.

StrykerxS77x;n9129260 said:

I don't really get all the net deck hate either. If they're playing a net deck and you're not then you have an advantage. You know what's in their deck but they don't know what's in yours.

bilbo.baggins;n9130200 said:
I'm basically a casual player and i meet a lot of irritating people: forfeiting right when they see they lost and no gg ( if they have the decency to gg, i don't mind the forfeit that much. I still find it rude, like someone mentioned a few posts above ), roping, playing all their cards when it's clear as day they already won.

...snip...

You are aware that sometimes when you forfeit you cannot GG for some reason? Let me elaborate on my way of dealing with R3: When it is clear that I will loose I tend to just pass earlier than I have to in R3, only for some people to still play out their remaining card even though they are ahead on board already, so I then forfeit to save me the time. But I noticed that often there is no option to GG in that case; not sure if it is intended that way.

Trent2501;n9130540 said:
You are aware that sometimes when you forfeit you cannot GG for some reason?

In the vast majority of the cases it's the other person that forfeits, not me, and i have noticed that sometimes the gg button disappears.

Trent2501;n9130540 said:
Let me elaborate on my way of dealing with R3: When it is clear that I will loose I tend to just pass earlier than I have to in R3, only for some people to still play out their remaining card even though they are ahead on board already, so I then forfeit to save me the time.

Yes, during R3, if i realize that i've lost for sure, i also pass regardless if i have cards left. I pass, not forfeit. If the opponent is an as*ole and keeps playing extra cards when it's obvious the've already won, that's my no 1 reason to press escape/forfeit at the end of a match.

I can totally understand the "climbing the ladder with a netdeck" thing, I did it myself. I was desperate to win games because I wanted to get to the ranks with the big reward: 5 kegs, 6 kegs!
Now I kindof think I'm not good enough anyway to go higher, so I stopped netdecking and started to experiment. and I do like the game better for it!
but I really felt the obsessive need to get my hands on the free kegs that came with higher Ranks.
- confessions of a gameoholic

Top Bottom