Let Geralt cancel out of attack animations.

+
Let Geralt cancel out of attack animations.

Hello all, I would like to request a mod that lets you cancel out of any attack animations with a dodge.

The combat in Witcher 3 is so far really good, better than I expected but one thing that keeps bugging me is that he dodges feels very sluggish and unresponsive at times. When fighting groups of enemies you really need to dodge at a moments notice, but because Geralt has to finish his attack animation first before he can dodge this leads to loads of situations where I always get hit from the side even though I pressed the dodge key. One situation in particular is that when Geralt is a few meters away from a target and you press light attack he won't do a standard light attack but instead he'll do a leap through the air and attack. This animation is a little longer than your standard light attack animations ,and I can't count how many times Geralt was in the middle of this leap animation when an enemy would attack from the side and even though I pressed the dodge key at the very moment I saw the attack coming, Geralt wouldn't dodge and get hit.

Now I know what I'm requesting would definitely make the game much easier and, to a certain degree, it would remove some of that tactical aspect when fighting groups of enemies. However I do feel this would make the combat much more fun and responsive.

Could anyone maybe make a mod for this to happen or would it be too difficult? And hell if no one wants to make this I'll (try to)make it myself, just need a bit of help where to begin.

You can already do that. Try to dodge, mid attack and youll instantly abort the attack and start to dodge. Thats been the main gripe with the combat in TW2 and thats why they included it this time. You can also cancel a bomb throw or crossbow aim by simply pressing space, so you dont have to waste a bomb if you dont wanna throw it anymore.

You can already do that. Try to dodge, mid attack and youll instantly abort the attack and start to dodge. Thats been the main gripe with the combat in TW2 and thats why they included it this time. You can also cancel a bomb throw or crossbow aim by simply pressing space, so you dont have to waste a bomb if you dont wanna throw it anymore.

For real? then my game must be bugged because I simply cannot cancel an attack animations no matter how hard I try. Maybe because I'm playing on a controller?

Could be. Since I am playing on PC with mouse and keyboard, I wouldnt be able to tell. Maybe someone whos playing with controller might be able to help you here. Then again - considering how much effort CDPR put into showing off how you can play the game with controller and all that basically never showing off any mouse and keyboard previews to us, one would think that theyd have noticed if you cant cancel the action with a controller, dont you think?

Guest 3713529

Controller user here, out of curiosity I just tried to engage in combat using K+M and saw no real difference. When doing a fast attack from the distance geralt does his leap/pirouette animation and I'm able to dodge away as soon as his feet touch the ground, this both with controller and K+M.

Well then I don't know what to say I just tried it again but Geralt always finish his attack and then immediately dodge, after the attack animation, but I could never cancel out of an attack animation. Guess it must be a bug or a glitch, or am I simply just doing it wrong? When hes in the middle of an attack I press dodge but it does nothing, Geralt finish his attack and then immediately after that he dodges.

Try not to spam button mash during attacks. I am using a controller on PC and it can be done: Attack - see Boss starting huge attack animation - Roll away

Seems like many people here don't really know what exactly animation canceling means.

No, you can't cancel out of attack animations in this game, you always have to finish the current attack first. You can stop attack sequences, but that's not the same thing.

Proper animation canceling would make combat more dynamic and responsive and give more control to the player, and it'd mitigate many of the problems stemming from the mess that is the targeting system. It'd also make it possible to do feint attacks, which would be nice.

Seems like many people here don't really know what exactly animation canceling means.

No, you can't cancel out of attack animations in this game, you always have to finish the current attack first. You can stop attack sequences, but that's not the same thing.

Proper animation canceling would make combat more dynamic and responsive and give more control to the player, and it'd mitigate many of the problems stemming from the mess that is the targeting system. It'd also make it possible to do feint attacks, which would be nice.

THANK YOU!!!!! I swear to God I was going crazy there for a second, all these people telling me you can cancel out of animations and I sit there trying to pull it of for a straight 25 minutes, but couldn't pull it off.

Yeah I completely agree with you, it would make the combat way more fun, But I don't think it would be very difficult because in some of the pre release footage showed how you can cancel out of attack animations. They must have disabled it for balancing reasons.

No you can't cancel out attacks mid way through the attack animation. What are you people talking about? Show a video that you can cause I'm calling you liars. hahaha.

If you are still in the air while attacking, Geralt waits until his feet touch the ground to dodge (cancel attack). Works fine for me, not sure what more you are asking for? You expect Geralt to somehow dodge while he's still in the air attacking? That would look retarded.

If you are still in the air while attacking, Geralt waits until his feet touch the ground to dodge (cancel attack). Works fine for me, not sure what more you are asking for? You expect Geralt to somehow dodge while he's still in the air attacking? That would look retarded.

I'm asking for the ability to immediately dodge no matter in what attack animation I'm stuck in, and you know what yeah it would look retarded but at least it would make the combat way more RESPONSIVE and FUN, besides you have no control of that animation anyway he randomly decides to do it if enemies are a few meters away. Why should I be punished for the game not having standardize attack animations?

Ya cuz being "A Witcher" isn't retarded as it is. It's a video game. It's a fantasy. It isn't a simulation. That's why. And that being said, why can't a witcher dodge mid air? He's a witcher. Lol.

Last edited:
You already can dodge/cancel between quick attack animations. There is a window of opportunity between each attack animation that you can dodge quickly.

If you are committing to long attacks in a sequence, then why would the game bail you out if you are attacking at the wrong time.

You are proposing to dumb down the game just because you are inept at properly timing your attacks. Sounds like user error to me. Only you can fix your problem.

Last edited:
You already can dodge/cancel between quick attack animations.

If you are committing to long attacks in a sequence, then why would the game bail you out if you are attacking at the wrong time.

You are proposing to dumb down the game just because you are inept at properly timing your attacks. Sounds like user error to me. Only you can fix your problem.

Yes it is user error, but let's remove all magic and potions and whatnot, Because it dumbs down the game too....for you.

But what you're saying isn't cancelling, you are doing another action at the end of another? Pick up a dictionary pal.

Do you think before you type on these boards? Wow. Just wow.

you can already do that, but i guess only at the ending frames of an attack, you shouldnt be able to cancel everything anyway if you try hit at the bad moment you should be punished

You already can dodge/cancel between quick attack animations. There is a window of opportunity between each attack animation that you can dodge quickly.

No, just Absolutely No. When you have a game with a fighting system as fast as the Witcher 3 you should absolutely have dodge/animation canceling, it's essential because as it stands now the combat in witcher 3 just simply isn't as responsive as other 3d person action games and it shows, and it really is dragging the combat down.

Look at games like Metal gear rising: revengeance, Bayonetta, Devil may cry, in all of these games you can cancel out of attack animations, in all of these games when you see an attack coming and you press dodge the key, you will dodge no questions ask. It makes the combat in those games feel responsive. Now granted those are all spectacle action games and can't really be compared against the witcher 3, but they do have similar speeds in the combat system.

If you compare it to a game like Demon souls, Dark souls those games doesn't have animation canceling but those games are so tightly designed that they can get away with it. In those games every time you press light attack or heavy attack you know exactly what animation will be played, it's not randomized like Witcher 3. Those games also have a much slower combat system than the Witcher 3 and most of the time you're limited to fighting only 1-3 enemies at a time. This gives you time to think on you feet, this give you time to calculate and predict what your enemies will do. You also have such a great amount of control over your character in those games, control you simply don't have over Geralt. In those games you have to commit to your attacks because they were designed that way. So only the Souls games can get away without having animation canceling.

Look all I simply want is to just cancel out of attack animations with a dodge, when you're fighting 5-9 enemies at a single time with relatively fast combat, your combat system needs to be really responsive, otherwise it breeds frustration and cheap deaths. Besides it was originally in the game but trey must have taken it out for some reason. Look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY at 21:26 you can see exactly what I'm talking about, I want that back into the game.

Top Bottom