Lets talk about Smart weapons

+
We don't know how skills affect those guns, but it just seems like a sort of cheat to get your bullets behind cover, and a crutch for those who aren't comfortable with twitchy FPS combat.
As I noted elsewhere Power weapons can ricochet and Tech weapons shoot thru cover so going around it is just the mechanic Smart weapons use to achieve the same results.

If it requires a smart link, they could've made it so that the smart link actually just simulates the characters accuracy <clip>
That would have been my preference as well.
Basically Smart weapons would be an "Aimbot" option.
YES, as your character gain skill and the aimbot becomes more-and-more accurate it becomes sort of an "I win" option 1-v-1 but vs multiple opponents you still need to use cover etc. because they'll cut you down before you can kill them all. And since CP2077 is not a PvP game who cares if there's an aimbot option?

They have said that increased skill in using a firearm will affects its animations, including faster reload. So one can assume that there is a reload animation and that it is significant enough so you can notice when it gets better.

I'm also okay with faster reload, in a more realistic presentation like they've mentioned. The more you use guns the better you are with them. I think it still needs to be seen how much ammunition we're going to have available at all times for these guns. If it's like COD and ammunition is more commonplace than water, then this will absolutely cheapen the game and I'm against that sort of mechanic for sure. I want to remain optimistic about smart weapons as I think they're such a cool concept.

YES, as your character gain skill and the aimbot becomes more-and-more accurate it becomes sort of an "I win" option 1-v-1 but vs multiple opponents you still need to use cover etc. because they'll cut you down before you can kill them all. And since CP2077 is not a PvP game who cares if there's an aimbot option?

Yeah.

Although, it being called aimbot or something else, it shouldn’t ever be completely infallible (specific situations where such is called for notwithstanding). Not even with maxed skill and relevant stat.

If it's like COD and ammunition is more commonplace than water, then this will absolutely cheapen the game and I'm against that sort of mechanic for sure. I want to remain optimistic about smart weapons as I think they're such a cool concept.
The cost of ammo might be a practical restriction on the use of smart guns. One would assume that self guided rocket bullets would be quite expensive and limited to Corpos or Governments who have lots of money.

I'm confused on the criticism or dislike even for something that is an OPTION. In fact you can pretend they don't exist and it wouldn't effect you, almost like they are not even there.. Because it's an OPTION. I feel like as gamers we should be happy this exists, being inclusive to so many other people.. Since when were we so close minded about accessibility??

Not to be snarky but it would be hard to pretend they don't exist when some NPC is unloading one in your general direction. In terms of personal use I agree with you, to each their own. It's like turning off "tagging enemies" in games like Far Cry; you can change the challenge and difficulty to suit your needs. I am very curious to see what weapons the NPCs are carrying and how challenging combat will be.

Maybe they are big fans of the 5th Element? Do they have a red button?
underrated comment :cool:
Post automatically merged:

As someone with a physical disability (quad), this is huge. It opens the game up to so much gun game play that would be impossible otherwise. I would have been happy with an aim assist option, but the went above and beyond by creating a whole new tier of weapons!! I love it! I can't wait till November!
Yea I agree this is very cool especially for the people who would otherwise have no choice. I think the smart guns are amazing and I will probably mess around with them in-game for fun, but I'm pretty much 100% sure they will not be my main favorite weapons. Nobody is forcing me to use them, but they still provide a fun opportunity for me if I want to have some silly fun. Maybe I might even find them incredibly useful in some unforeseen way at some point in the game? Other than that I will probably be using the katana a lot, in combination with other things depending on the situation. I hope the katana is good enough that if I choose, that I could possibly run an entire game 100% katana only run. I hope my comment doesn't lead to it being nerfed. I believe NOTHING should ever be nerfed. (unless it's some weird in game issue or NPC doing something unfair or extremely annoying, but that can be solved with buffs in other places, rather than nerfing the main issue, but for a nerf to occur it would have to be a really really serious thing, I guess that's my current opinion) I believe that everything should be 100% totally overpowered so that everything is equally fun. If, like inside EA's battlefield bad company 2 multiplayer from years back, everything were to seemingly get re-balanced or nerfed to the point where nothing is fun for me anymore, then I would be willing to say that it's not good because then everything feels equally weak, and equally not-fun. If everything is weak, then I don't want to use anything. if everything is equally strong and fun and overpowered, then EVERYTHING becomes fun to use.

A well placed explosive is as smart as my arsenal will get.
:cool:
But I've been using misplaced explosives this whole time!

As I noted elsewhere Power weapons can ricochet and Tech weapons shoot thru cover so going around it is just the mechanic Smart weapons use to achieve the same results.

Totally agree with you 100% The fun you have in a single player game affects nobody else. :D (y)

I'm also okay with faster reload, in a more realistic presentation like they've mentioned. The more you use guns the better you are with them. I think it still needs to be seen how much ammunition we're going to have available at all times for these guns. If it's like COD and ammunition is more commonplace than water, then this will absolutely cheapen the game and I'm against that sort of mechanic for sure. I want to remain optimistic about smart weapons as I think they're such a cool concept.
What would really "cheapen the game" is if they said "oh okay, well now lets make all ammo super rare" and now the game is ruined for people like me, who like having ammo for the weapons they shoot, which is you know... kind of the point! :shrug:

Last edited:
What would really "cheapen the game" is if they said "oh okay, well now lets make all ammo super rare" and now the game is ruined for people like me, who like having ammo for the weapons they shoot, which is you know... kind of the point! :shrug:

Would you find it realistic that a self propelled rocket ammo might be rarer and more expensive than ballistic ammo in cyberpunk? I agree that limiting ammo like some games do is frustrating and annoying but I feel that to create an immersive world there must be some constraints. The cost of smart ammo might be one of them.
I can imagine smart weapons being situational, like V versus many people rather than versus only a couple, and it may not be necessary to use them all the time.

Would you find it realistic that a self propelled rocket ammo might be rarer and more expensive than ballistic ammo in cyberpunk? I agree that limiting ammo like some games do is frustrating and annoying but I feel that to create an immersive world there must be some constraints. The cost of smart ammo might be one of them.
I can imagine smart weapons being situational, like V versus many people rather than versus only a couple, and it may not be necessary to use them all the time.
That's a really good question and my answer is more questions.
1. Do we really know how difficult it is to make this ammo?
2. Is it mass produced, or hand made by ammo tech people?
3. Is it easily available but only certain corporations have access?

There's lots of different ways that it could be very cheap and easily available, and lots of ways it could be rare and expensive, so the argument could really be made either way, and it really depends on the lore I guess, but that doesn't make it more fun or interesting or feasible to the player. If the ammo is expensive and rare and it's just a pain to get a hold of, chances are I'm just simply going to use other weapons because frankly, I got things to do (like in the game)
Also It would be really sad if all the people with disabilities who were depending on the easy to use smart weapons to be able to pretty much experience the game, like at all making the ammo rare and expensive would pretty much ruin the whole game for them. :giveup:

That's a really good question and my answer is more questions.
1. Do we really know how difficult it is to make this ammo?
2. Is it mass produced, or hand made by ammo tech people?
3. Is it easily available but only certain corporations have access?
Those are good questions and at this point I don't really know. Corporations have sole access to "military" weapons so some things we probably can't buy in a legit store. I can imagine some types of ammo, say explosive, being limited to corpos as well. I really do hope that there is a robust crafting element to the game and we will be able to make useful things like ammo and explosives. I'm not sure we'll be skilled enough to make smart ammo, but we will see.

Those are good questions and at this point I don't really know. Corporations have sole access to "military" weapons so some things we probably can't buy in a legit store. I can imagine some types of ammo, say explosive, being limited to corpos as well. I really do hope that there is a robust crafting element to the game and we will be able to make useful things like ammo and explosives. I'm not sure we'll be skilled enough to make smart ammo, but we will see.
I wonder if we can't make smart ammunition, so instead we make silly ammunition lol
Instead of tracking the enemy, it just flies around randomly, which might yield very interesting results that may be favorable or unfavorable depending on the situation. :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if we can't make smart ammunition, so instead we make silly ammunition lol
Instead of tracking the enemy, it just flies around randomly, which might yield very interesting results that may be favorable or unfavorable depending on the situation. :ROFLMAO:
That would great! like if there was a skill check on crafting and we failed without realizing it and the bullet just explodes in the gun. I could appreciate the realism of it but I fear many people would complain. :cool:

That would great! like if there was a skill check on crafting and we failed without realizing it and the bullet just explodes in the gun. I could appreciate the realism of it but I fear many people would complain. :cool:
Nah not explode in the gun, I mean, like the little tracking bullet missiles fly out but instead of tracking they just go like these boats

I knew what you meant and I can picture it. I think the comedic value would be lost in the game, but I can see it in the upcoming anime: the young techie trying to prove themself with mixed results along the way.
At the end of all of this I'm hopeful that the game will be good and all that'll be left to do is enjoy it. Cheers!

The cost of ammo might be a practical restriction on the use of smart guns. One would assume that self guided rocket bullets would be quite expensive and limited to Corpos or Governments who have lots of money.
Unless something has changed that I missed your weapon has a magazine capacity and you need to reload when it's empty. BUT you apparently have an infinite supply of spare magazines. So I don't think ammo is an issue. You just have it.

Weapon mods will determine if your rounds are armor piercing or incendiary or whatever NOT ammo types.

Also It would be really sad if all the people with disabilities who were depending on the easy to use smart weapons to be able to pretty much experience the game, like at all making the ammo rare and expensive would pretty much ruin the whole game for them. :giveup:
We have plenty of games out there where the "I'm good/skilled enough to play this game well and you not!" crowd can bask in their self-proclaimed glory.

Last edited:
Those will probably be useful for ambush or people lacking classic gun skill (that netrunner missing every shots...)

I knew what you meant and I can picture it. I think the comedic value would be lost in the game, but I can see it in the upcoming anime: the young techie trying to prove themself with mixed results along the way.
At the end of all of this I'm hopeful that the game will be good and all that'll be left to do is enjoy it. Cheers!
I meant the description as a metaphor. The guided projectiles from the smart weapon wouldn't actually make silly slippery noises... but you did make me have a good chuckle. :LOL:

We have plenty of games out there where the "I'm good/skilled enough to play this game well and you not!" crowd can bask in their self-proclaimed glory.
Wait, I'm confuse. Are you agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or making a sarcastic joke? Please clarify :ROFLMAO: I am confuse.

Those will probably be useful for ambush or people lacking classic gun skill (that netrunner missing every shots...)
We're still talking about single player Cyberpunk2077 right?

Top Bottom