Mass Effect 3

+
ME, ME 2; with all the flaws I love the experience and immersion it brings.Its THE ONLY hard sci-fi in the genre. No alternative really.I hope CDP will pick up the glove with its RPG set in the sci-fi setting. Preferably with Dukaj's script/story :pBack to the topic.I know ME2 had its flaws; faces and some models, some lore trippings, gameplay design, its main story was weak and short compared to all the companions content etc. On the other hand what BW does excellent is fleshing out the cast. I'm looking forward to ME3 hoping they will fix what has gone bad in ME2, or was awful to begin with in ME1. Like I said, I'm hungry and craving for sci-fi (whatever subgenre really) so I wont discriminate ME3 from the start. I was hooked up with (my) Shepards story, so I wont cut the ties in the middle of the story ;)The other sci fi I'm dying to get my hand on is CYBERPUNK! Yea, Deaus Ex cant come soon enough. Its all the western Gibson's Neuromancer stuff married with Otomo's Ghost in the Shell japanise desigh/tech thought. And I love itAm I coherent enough? My mind is lucid due to lthe lack of sleep in recent days :/

Guest 2091327

Oh. Seemed to remember you having a blue name. Guess I was wrong then :D

wisielec said:
The other sci fi I'm dying to get my hand on is CYBERPUNK! Yea, Deaus Ex cant come soon enough. Its all the western Gibson's Neuromancer stuff married with Otomo's Ghost in the Shell japanise desigh/tech thought. And I love it
I am cautious about Deus-Ex: HR. I am still not sure if it will be like the original DE, or another consolified monstrosity like DE: Invisible War. The clips/videos released so far make me suspicious that it touches on IW territory but with prettier graphics. I hope to be wrong, but the DA2 debacle make me wary.As for ME3 - a good sampling of what is in store will be seen in the release of the "Arrival" DLC in the next week or so. Even with Lance Hendrickson VOing (automatic +100 rating points), if it turns out the be "Cough up $30 to watch Commander Hawke Shepherd prepare for the attack of the evil Qunari Reapers by visiting the same planet 5000 times" then it seems assured when ME3 comes out, it will not be very good.

Lyc said:
Lyc said:
The other sci fi I'm dying to get my hand on is CYBERPUNK! Yea, Deaus Ex cant come soon enough. Its all the western Gibson's Neuromancer stuff married with Otomo's Ghost in the Shell japanise desigh/tech thought. And I love it
I am cautious about Deus-Ex: HR. I am still not sure if it will be like the original DE, or another consolified monstrosity like DE: Invisible War. The clips/videos released so far make me suspicious that it touches on IW territory but with prettier graphics. I hope to be wrong, but the DA2 debacle make me wary.As for ME3 - a good sampling of what is in store will be seen in the release of the "Arrival" DLC in the next week or so. Even with Lance Hendrickson VOing (automatic +100 rating points), if it turns out the be "Cough up $30 to watch Commander Hawke Shepherd prepare for the attack of the evil Qunari Reapers by visiting the same planet 5000 times" then it seems assured when ME3 comes out, it will not be very good.
I too hope you, me and other people are wrong about ME3, it would be a shame indeed if BW would botch the game...

Guest 2091327

Hopefully they can learn something from the DA2 fiasco and have time to fix it for ME3.I'm unsure on both points however.I think they have taken a decision to aim for a different segment of the gamer market. The development we saw in ME->ME2 and DAO->DA2 we will only see more of in the future.I won't be surprised if the lesson they "learn" from DA2 is "Don't re-use areas this heavily". Period.

^ They don't have time to fix anything. They're too far into development. So I just hope nothing is broken :(The devs did say that they listened to feedback on ME2, and there would be more robust RPG elements in ME3, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure Bioware knows what robust RPG elements are anymore...They have every financial reason to make it even more of a mainstream shooter with more of a Hollywood story.

Pangaea said:
Hopefully they can learn something from the DA2 fiasco and have time to fix it for ME3.I'm unsure on both points however.
What??? mwahahah :DYou know that this never happen, right? :DDA2 fiasco it's just another way to make more "fiascos" like that. I'm figuring Bioware's bosses scracthing head all the time: ".... I wonder what the hell didn't work..... Guyz, we need another brainstorming on the schedule!"mwahaha :D
I think they have taken a decision to aim for a different segment of the gamer market. The development we saw in ME->ME2 and DAO->DA2 we will only see more of in the future.I won't be surprised if the lesson they "learn" from DA2 is "Don't re-use areas this heavily". Period.
Quoted :)Just like Lyc, I'm cautiuos too concerning Deus Ex 3. As far as I could see, it seems very similar to ME2, more similar to a FPS than to the classical RPG it was. We'll see.....
Pangaea said:
^ They don't have time to fix anything. They're too far into development. So I just hope nothing is broken :(The devs did say that they listened to feedback on ME2, and there would be more robust RPG elements in ME3, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure Bioware knows what robust RPG elements are anymore...
Agree. Bioware explicitly said that this is not the time for classical RPG any more (as far as Bioware concerns) and that means that we should expected more DA2 style games. Plus it's too late to re-make ME3, unless they want to delay the game until...... well like Blizzard did for Diablo III :D

Guest 2091327

secondchildren said:
What??? mwahahah :DYou know that this never happen, right? :DDA2 fiasco it's just another way to make more "fiascos" like that. I'm figuring Bioware's bosses scracthing head all the time: ".... I wonder what the hell didn't work..... Guyz, we need another brainstorming on the schedule!"mwahaha :DAgree. Bioware explicitly said that this is not the time for classical RPG any more (as far as Bioware concerns) and that means that we should expected more DA2 style games. Plus it's too late to re-make ME3, unless they want to delay the game until...... well like Blizzard did for Diablo III :D
I don't really believe that either, it's just that a small part of me holds out a smidgeon of hope there is somebody in Bioware that doesn't just have dollar signs in their eyes 24/7.What I *think* will happen is that we will see much of the gameplay we saw in DA2 and ME2. Lots of action but very little RPG elements. Won't be the least bit surprised if it's another "gather a team and then face and beat impossible odds". So more loyalty missions and not a lot of story, but against the backdrop of Earth being invaded, or the threat of it. Not sure if the early video we saw means the game will start off with Earth already invaded or not. Seemed to indicate that tbh. Which would not be a good omen at all, as it could easily turn into a straight shooter game more or less, with most of the action on Earth, and not even a lot of space travel. It beggars belief how they could mess up the fantastic universe they created in ME. The game will be released less than 2 years after ME2. I don't know how long they have been developing it, if they had already started on ME3 when ME2 was released, but if they didn't I don't see how this will be a great game.
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth
I must say, this synopsis does not bode well.Cue, Council dumb as bricks again (Baaaah, all is well, nobody tries to kill anybody, bugger off Shephard) and collect a new team of boobs, arse and muscle to stage some kind of awesomely epic(!) fight against the Reapers at the end of the game to save Earth and the Galaxy. Shepard will probably get another granny panty to hang on his wall too.Remember that Bioware chart....?

secondchildren said:
Agree. Bioware explicitly said that this is not the time for classical RPG any more (as far as Bioware concerns) and that means that we should expected more DA2 style games. Plus it's too late to re-make ME3, unless they want to delay the game until...... well like Blizzard did for Diablo III :D
They also have the whole Star Wars MMO breathing down their neck, and it is a sure thing that EA is going to push this (to cash in on the WoW style franchises) rather than a relatively niche genre like ME. I remember at one point years ago (after Throne of Bhaal) they stated outright "There would never be another BG2" as it took a long time to make and the relative costs/profits ratio didn't justify it. But on the whole, it appears the entire US/Canadian RPG powerhouses have been bought out, sold out or folded over the last decade - Troika, SSI, Black Isle, Origin, Infogames and now Bioware. The only ones left appear to be Obsidian (known for making good stories but also bug ridden messes) or Bethesda (borderline case as they are pushing hard to catch the 'press "A" for awesome' market).The Euro zone appears the only (relatively) stable source left of decent rpgs. Of my recent purcahses just about all of them are from the BeNeLux region (Divinity series), Poland (Witcher) or Germany (Arkania, Gothic, Risen, Drakensang series). The exceptions are small independants from the US like Spiderweb (Avernum) or Basilisk (Eschalon).I suppose it is Karma though. After having suffered to obtain a copy of a good rpg (years late, dubious translations and poor regional support), the Euro players are now cackling with glee as they watch us Non Euros suffer they same way they did for years. :/

"Buy Dragon Age 2, Get Mass Effect 2 Free"This news about free ME3 has just convinced me to not buy this game.If EA offers a game for free, I can't even imagine how much crap it will be. Or maybe it just needs money desperatelly now, to avoid bankruptcy.I see a plentiful ground for conspiration theories guys.

secondchildren said:
Well I think it's most likely a try to increase DA2's sales and fame. Promotional, I'd say :)
It seems an expensibe and strange promotion to me.DA2 has already gotten bad reputation, but ME3 still has not. If you think about it, every guy who buys DA2 now, will not buy ME3. Maybe you're right, but in this case, their math is a little messed up.

@ Netopier I agree to me it is vary odd like a 2 for one sale ME dose have a strong following and they could be trying to bank on that which is odd because a lot of those fans already have ME2 don't know if this is just ME2 or its ME2 GOTY edition for the pc (if there is one for the pc yet )as for hurting the chances of ME3 I'm not sure because a lot of those fans even myself want to know what happens next in the story line to Shepherd or the Reapers

Guest 2091327

Maybe they will install corridors in space.You never know... :D

Love Mass Effect universe. Loved both ME and ME2. From the info released so far ME3 is heading in the right direction. As for the ''Buy DA2 get ME2 for free'' it is a desperate attempt at improving sales for DA2 and to fuel the hype and get more fans into the Mass Effect universe and to buy ME3. Anyone who was going to buy ME2 already did so they might as well try to attract new fans with a free offer and improve sales for DA2 because sale figures are going down dramatically.

As a fan of the first Mass Effect, I was very disappointed with the sequel. Storytelling will remain the strong point in the third game, but most probably it will be linear corridor-shooter just like ME2 - having like five skills, no inventory and far too many tedious minigames... I hope that I'm wrong, but ME 2 and DA 2 are examples of Bioware turning into EAWare.

I think Mass Effect is a decent series, but that says it all.

Both the games had major errors, and at the same time also very good points.
What I love about Mass Effect is how detailed the universe is in itself.
There is tons of things to find out if you read all the codex entries within the game, and in that regard I really like what they did there.
But at the same time I think the series always has been seriously flawed.

The first game had some good RPG elements going on, but the main campaign was terribly short, and the sidequests were uninteresting and dull, and above all unrewarding.

The 2nd game was in my opinion a lot better in terms of storytelling.
I agree that the RPG elements were dumbed down a lot, but in this instance I think it genuinely works out. Sidequests were also a lot more interesting and better tied into the main storyline, and I liked how they integrated savegame data from the first game.

For some reason the 3rd game doesn't make me jump with joy at this moment.
It seems to be just like Mass Effect 2, only now on earth, and we have a holosword thing which is completely unnecessary :rolleyes:
Oh well, I will get the game, and we'll see what it will bring us.

It's a shame that Bioware is going this course. Quality no longer rules within that company.
But hey, only more room for other developers (Like our friends at CDProjekt for instance) to show that they too can make awesome games ;).

Top Bottom