Math behind character's stats in Witcher 2

+
Hello everyone,

First time posting on this forum so replying here with my question. This question regards the Witcher 2.

So I enjoy thinking about the math behind character's stats in any RPG and I am doing the same with Witcher 2 at the moment. I have a couple of questions regarding different areas like configuration files and in the game itself:

1. First question is regarding rune enhancements for swords and a possible interface bug on the inventory screen. Let's take the Sword of Caingorn as an example which has a damage of 13-17 and apply to it a Sun Rune which increases the sword damage by 5%. Now 5% of 13-17 is 0.65-0.85 which if rounded up produces a sword damage of 14-18 and this damage actually gets displayed on the sword after applying the rune. If we check the character screen with the sword not equipped we have a base damage of 1-2 and when the sword gets equipped this damage is added to the sword damage and displayed on the character screen. The problem is the damage on the character screen is the same with or without the rune enhancement which is 14-19. This means that under the hood the sword damage actually stayed on 13-17 and only added the 1-2 base damage without sword. Which leads me to believe rune enhancement had no effect even though the inventory screen showed the increase. So I assume that the 5% increase actually gets rounded down under the hood while the one that shows on the sword gets rounded up. Am I correct about this

2. Secondly I was using REDTools to unpack some game files and I was checking out an XML configuration which specifies which stats increase for Geralt when he levels up. The configuration looks like this for every level:

<ability name="Level2" on_added="" on_ended="">
    <vitality mult="false" always_random="false" min="5" max="5"/>
    <ff_damage_min mult="false" always_random="false" min="3" max="3"/>
    <ff_damage_max mult="false" always_random="false" min="5" max="5"/>
    </ability>

Can anyone tell me what is this ff_damage? I checked the character screen and damage never increases with level up while vitality does.

Top Bottom