Mermaids in The Witcher 3

+
Off topic by now, but Polish has seven cases (some authorities say there are nine, with two little used), and nouns take different endings (inflections) in each case. English has only two cases, and the only vestige of noun inflection is the plural.

Excuses for not making it home from the tavern abound in most cultures :beer:

Regarding cases in English, ooh, grammar, fun! Actually I 'are' no grammarian, but I know enough linguists and grammarians who would gladly beg to differ regarding amount of cases. Just for the hell of it. ;)

I actually spoke with a friend from Poland today, and I mentioned this discussion. She said that if you(meaning me) have four different ways to say the word 'cat', Polish language had many many more. At least I think she was referring to inflections and not synonyms.

Regarding magical creatures and blaming them for coming home late, yeah that is probably true. Excuses excuses, all cultures have them, but then again in my culture people used to blame nymphs, trolls or other creatures when people disappeared or was found dead in the woods. Dying for the cause(a really good pub night in this case!) or faking your own death for it, I don't know. Even back in the day, even with a terrible wife, even by a really desperate husband, it sounds far-fetched and somewhat overkill.
Besides, you can't return to your favourite pub or tavern if the wife(and the rest of the village) believes you to be dead now can you? ;)

@Ragnarous
"Vile and ugly"? Really? I could easily live(and die I suppose) with meeting these beauties. :yes

Cunning linguists are they ?

{apologies!)

since we are well off topic, that pic makes me think of..

Actually they are, so the joke is on you friend. :p What I meant is that they are so versed in grammar that they gladly debate a lost cause just for the fun of it, and just to hear themselves be proven wrong. In a 'Take a stand and stand your ground'-kind of way. Call them academic trolls if you will, but really, all they want to hear is their students argue their case and be able to defend a thesis. :laughing:

Ah, Soggy Bottom Boys. Brings me back.

Actually they are, so the joke is on you friend. :p.

Just as long as that's all that's on me :p

Sounds like you're describing the Socratic method alright, wisdom begins with the knowledge of your own ignorance. I guess we're back on topic then - Greek Golden Age and all that - an Odyssey by another name.

btw in Celtic lore the _drag_you_to_the_deeps_ monster generally appeared horselike - Kelpie - weird.

Maybe the boyos just knew telling the lady even a supernatural creature was prettier than them was a slippery slope :p

Just as long as that's all that's on me :p

Sounds like you're describing the Socratic method alright, wisdom begins with the knowledge of your own ignorance. I guess we're back on topic then - Greek Golden Age and all that - an Odyssey by another name.

btw in Celtic lore the _drag_you_to_the_deeps_ monster generally appeared horselike - Kelpie - weird.

Maybe the boyos just knew telling the lady even a supernatural creature was prettier than them was a slippery slope :p

Of course not all is on you, friend. Know that I have lot of :respect: for you and the knowledge you show in your posts.

Kelpie you say? Any relation(word) to the plants? Dragging you down to the deep as it were?

Far Cry 3 taught me what kelp was, not that Jason was a bad enough swimmer to get tangled up in the crap.

And we're off topic again! :laughing:

The names certainly originate - or rather have remained in use - in the same area, I can't think of anything really specific atm though.

I could imagine the legend beginning with people trying to explain Seahorses, washed up or fossilized, a few too many stouts and the wish for a fast getaway if the blarney doesn't work..

Of course not all is on you, friend. Know that I have lot of :respect: for you and the knowledge you show in your posts.

Kelpie you say? Any relation(word) to the plants? Dragging you down to the deep as it were?

Far Cry 3 taught me what kelp was, not that Jason was a bad enough swimmer to get tangled up in the crap.

And we're off topic again! :laughing:

They're thought to be unrelated. "Kelpie" definitely goes back to Gaelic, most often traced to "cailpeach", one of its meanings is "colt" (see Jamieson's Dictionary).

"Kelp" hasn't been traced beyond ME "culp", maybe via MHG "kolbe", in turn Latin "bulbus" and Greek "bolbos", onion, whence also bulb (of a plant), referring to its gas-filled bladders. The term didn't become common until kelp became commercially important, as it could be harvested and burned for potash and iodine.

Last edited:
according to some Red's chat there is no "marmaids" in game .... i think u are talking about sirens here :p in water they are pretty ladies but outside https://www.google.pl/search?q=witc...lery%2Fthe-witcher-3-screenshots%2F;1920;1080

So I was really confused by the picture you linked because I thought that this : http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2...shot_mermaid_by_secondchildrenasl-d68jsos.jpg was a mermaid. Turns out its a siren before it turns a mean and nasty. The picture you linked is the siren after its angry. Woah. Pretty cool monster in my opinion.

Last edited:
Umm, no. There are mermaids in The Witcher's universe, and they look like you might imagine: pretty ladies, fishtails and all (Sh'eenaz). They don't change into flying monstrosities.

Top Bottom