[MOD] Witcher 3 RE:mods

+

Guest 3841499

Why is everything so muted? The entire image on your mod is merged into lifeless picture and the removal of dialogue light caused the effect that I feared: Faces look simply flat and uninsteresting. You can see this on the tavern fight cutscene, where on vanilla you can see how the facial expressions on the characters are highlighted by the lighting, even if artificial, while on your mod its just dark and muted. The subsequent dialogue with Yennefer has the same issue, you simply cannot see the details on her facial expressions, clothing or in any of the Main Characters.

In Kaer Morhen the shadows have been brightened so much that in exterior shots it looks incredibly flat. Even if some shots, especially the ones where you show the rain at night do look "more realistic" the end result is incredibly muted and lifeless and I very much prefer vanilla in that regard.

Is vanilla perfect? No. Are there dialogues where lights could be reworked? Absolutely. But I wouldn't say that removing all lightsources in dialogue is an improvement, especially when we can tweak the intensity for them at a TOD level.

I did something similar and up until I did, I was not enjoying many cutscenes where fake light sources or custom cam lights were present.

The main issue with those fake lights is not so much their presence, but extreme inconsistency. You can have the same cutscene, where Geralt appears in bright light, then, without changing location and position, he suddenly appears without any light. Or you can have a story cutscene with fake lights, then have a regular dialog scene afterwards with same characters in same location, but suddenly no lights present...

Besides, all this criticism from people who never even get to see accurate imagery is pointless... As I have stated many times, most people do not even have calibrated displays or think some downloaded ICC profile will provide them with accurate colors and that is not the case.

What you see and what others see on their displays is not likely to be the same image unless your display and the original source display, on which the mod was developed, was calibrated.

Then there is the hardware. Your average TN or IPS display will always show a flat image due to low static contrast ratio and dark details will always be crushed due to poor black levels. The same exact scene on a calibrated OLED or plasma panel with 40000:1 or better contrast will show you much more detail and depth.

I love the job you did for the rain. Will it be compatible with others lighting mods ? Can you release a standalone for nights/rain?

Last edited:
I love the job you did for the rain. Will it be compatible with others lighting mods ? Can you release a standalone for nights/rain?

All that is done in this mod will not be compatible with other mods. Even if I release this separately on other lighting mods this will look bad.

When I finish with novigrad. I'll put a beta version to help me find errors.

Ready to be 4 locations
White orchard
Kaer morhen
wyzima
novigrad

All that is done in this mod will not be compatible with other mods. Even if I release this separately on other lighting mods this will look bad.

When I finish with novigrad. I'll put a beta version to help me find errors.

Ready to be 4 locations
White orchard
Kaer morhen
wyzima
novigrad
I'll be there :)

Guest 3841499

I still can't figure out your campfire FX, BTW. It looks like alpha standard for fire shader from dynamic torch FX.

I still can't figure out your campfire FX, BTW. It looks like alpha standard for fire shader from dynamic torch FX.

There is nothing complicated.
The bonfire consists of:
Fire
Smoke
Sparkling
You find in the game where all this is implemented in a high-quality, where there is smoke, somewhere a fire.
Combine all this and get a bonfire =)
Instead of one light, you use two.

Guest 3841499

Yeah, I can't find one that looks exactly like yours. Smoke and sparks - yes, but not fire. Most of the game uses really ugly 'fire no alpha textures' shader. I like the one from dynamic torch, but it doesn't look good on campfire.

As far as lights go - I know how to add dynamic lights to cookedEffects, but SOFT light only comes from SpotLights and as far as I know, you can't just add a SpotLight chunk to template compiled data... Anyway, talking in riddles does not help much, but thanks anyway.

There are no riddles, I myself do not know how it turned out that way. I used everything successively in the end what I did and it turned out.
Post automatically merged:

I do not even know whether to leave a fog or not
The Witcher 3 Screenshot 2018.08.04 - 01.16.49.jpg

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

I would figure out how to add FX to specific locations and cover that area in proper fog. You can probably do it with your knowledge.

I genuinely like what you've created. I prefer this dusty, realistic style and I haven't found a good light mod that does that yet. Looking forward to the release!

Finally a mod that does what I was waiting for ...
from the images and videos I saw you're doing a great job.

If you need, I can help you with the tests ..
Now that I've seen this post, I'll definitely take a look at the removal of fake lights and I'll be happy to give you my feedback.

I'm the author of The Butcher of Blaviken mod (if you do not know me) ... and I'm doing a lot of tests for the new version ... I take this opportunity to give you some constructive feedback.

P.S. if you need pre-release tests I'll be happy to help you ;)

I like the concept what you would like to achive! In fact up to now I didn't play TW3 but your mod looks more realistic than the original game. Many gamer forget that the games a bit oversaturated which maybe looks better but not realistic. In reality rarely can you see so far in the night as in many games. On a full moon night with clear sky you can, but other times and for example in a forest you can barely see. An other example the interiors. Try to imagine how could you illumine an inn/tavern only with candles! I think this mod will be a great one. It gives back a bit darker, depressing, pessimistic feeling during game. Maybe a bit mood from TW1. If somebody don't like it, simply don't use it. I will!

Top Bottom