Moral choices in The Witcher

+
Killing people does bother Geralt from the book, and should bother any non-mad human (even mutated) being.Being bothered by killing people and having to kill some of them when you must is other case though. Even when you don't have guilty consciences for killing some evil bastards you can't say that killing people in general does not bother you.Unless this question is precised i don't realise how could you answer No to this question and still stay in character.P.S. And i think that book-Geralt would try to stay neutral but at the end side with non-humans anyway. I remind you that when he was killet 5 years befor the game he was killed trying to stop non-human extermination.Siding with Order is in terms of book riddiculus but of course computer game has it rights and needs to give options to a player.

We all have to do things that bother us to some extent, but we still do them anyway. Do you think Harry Truman would have said that killing humans didn't bother him in 1945? Of course it bothered him, but it didn't stop him doing it. It would bother anyone with a modicum of decency, but sometimes it's necessary in certain situations. If the game seems to reward an "out of character" choice, surely that just makes it all the more realistic. If someone asks you a question and you know that you'll be rewarded if you give the answer they want to hear, as opposed to what you really think, why not lie? It's roleplaying: personally, I always adjust my behaviour, including responses to questions, depending on the company or situation I'm in at any given time (but then, I am a salesman!). Geralt's supposed to be a hard drinking, monster slaying, maiden shagging uberdude...surely the occasional white lie wouldn't be out of character?

IMO killing humans probably does bother Geralt. For he states in the game "I don't kill humans". But in the case of the Salamandra (who were human) I think Geralts justifies killing them by seeing them as monsters in disguise. I felt Geralt upheld protecting the innocent and weak and the Salamandras preyed upon the innocent and weak (raping, kidnapping children, drug dealing).As far as the non-humans were concerned their goal was not to exterminate all humans, it was (to me) more about their freedom.Not all humans wanted to or disliked non-humans or Witchers either. Some townfolk make remark about liking non-humans and Witchers (although IMO Witchers were seen as more of couriosity). It was a group of humans who wanted to exterminate the non-humans, not all.So to me Geralt in his mind was a defender of the weak and innocent and killed or not kill to preserve the overall "good" or balance of things.At times the decission was hard to make in regards to killing humans, but I asked myself while playing "Am I being true to the way I perceive Geralt to be and am I having him uphold his beliefs?" Some humans are monsters and evil.

@ Cassandra31EEE I agree with you there would rather kill Salamatra then a dog any day My Geralt only kill in self defence but in a side note not all monster look like monster they sometimes look like you and me ]:->

Heh, gotta love it; video games, the legal homicide. ;)I suppose if the person is enough of a dirtbag, they just might very well deserve it... :dead:Though I have to say I don't kill unless I'm left with absolutely no choice.I totally agree with the above though, there's not a single "innocent" human, game or not... :-\

After reading this, I have to ask. Is this game based on a book? If so, I want to check it out! :) Or is it not available here in the States? :-[

Yeah, the game is based on a group of stories.Check out the forum for the section on the author, whose name I dont even want to try and spell.

Managed to hit a bandit by accident last night (when fighting a Fleder by the fireplace outside the Hairy Bear). Naturally, all his mates turned on me too, but it was nice to see that the game doesn't punish you for this. I can remember some games (Baldur's Gate, anyone) where all you had to do was clip a civilian with the remnants of a fireball and the whole world turned against you in a second. Here, I take down a few bandits in the slums, and no-one bats an eyelid. Much more realistic, I guess. As to whether Geralt should be bothered about killing these humans, I justify it by thinking that he probably tried to apologise, but they weren't listening. So they went down.

fantasyjunkie said:
After reading this, I have to ask. Is this game based on a book? If so, I want to check it out! :) Or is it not available here in the States? :-[
yes th..... Oh, some one has answered..
fantasyjunkie said:
Yeah, the game is based on a group of stories.Check out the forum for the section on the author, whose name I dont even want to try and spell.
The english translation is really hard to get hold of though. When the game was relesed, they released a few of the books, but it was limited print.I virtually had to begg the publisher to print me a copy of one of the books... "The Last Wish". I think they gave me there last copy, Cost me a bloody fortune!... but I got it ;)

I got rid of the night bandit arround the Hairy bear, now there are only poor people at night and I would not kill them.By the way, is the book : "The Last Wish" any good ?

bladerunner said:
I got rid of the night bandit arround the Hairy bear, now there are only poor people at night and I would not kill them.By the way, is the book : "The Last Wish" any good ?
Its different. Its full of short stories that seem to intertwine. Bit like pulp fiction. The opening chapter is about a page long IIRC, and its very "Special" ;)OOo BTW, did anyone spot ~> THIS

yes, I was looking at the monitor for about 5 minutes the first time I played, then made some coffee, and finally made decision to give him to Shani. It's the first game I was stunned with such choice. :)

szmike said:
yes, I was looking at the monitor for about 5 minutes the first time I played, then made some coffee, and finally made decision to give him to Shani. It's the first game I was stunned with such choice. :)
Yeah really nice, what can I say....I made the same decision....gave him to Shani, then to Triss and again to Shani ;D

Actullay these decisions don't have a great impact on the story. If Geralt gives Alvin to Triss, Shani rants "Get out of my view". If he gives Alvin to Shani, Triss rants "get out of my view" ;DA harder decision is... kill Vincent the werewolf, yes or no? First time I didn't cos I wanted the couple to stay together. Apart from that the werewolf / Vincent didn't do any harm or trouble to Geralt. 2nd gameplay... I couldn't find a reason to kill VIncent... I didn't have the heart ^__^No hard decision for me is... kill the striga / Adda, yes or no? Yes. because she cheated on Geralt on Act III and even wanted to sentence him to death. I'm finished with Act IV and start Act V the 2nd time and intend... to keep the striga alive and lift the curse from her.... maybe I kill her in the last minute again, cos once again she cheated on Geralt in the temple quarter :p

Well, as for Adda, i am planning to kill her. I'm with the elves and dwarfs this time and killing the Striga will certainly not make the marriage between her and , er, Rodowid, to take place. This means that there will be no personal union between Temeria and Redania and the Squirells will fight against one country, not two.

Is it Shani or Triss who should taking care of Alvin, it push me to have more than 20 savegame files, just to make sure it is the right path. ;D

Top Bottom