Movies / TV Shows!

+
@Princess_Ciri

I've been meaning to watch Vikings for some time but I never got around to it. Some history nerd I am, right? :rofl:

I know I can get both Seasons 1 and 2 on Prime, but I'm actually wondering: How much better is it than Game of Thrones? I gave up on that show half way through Season 2.

Vikings are loosely based on historical events and characters, mixed with legends. I wouldn't pay much attention to the historical accuracy aspect of it. But the show itself is great - amazing acting from Travis Fimmel, great atmosphere and music by Wardruna.

@Alan989 It's definitely not as grand as GoT, the budget is much lower, although you can see it increasing season to season (just like GoT).

Vikings are loosely based on historical events and characters, mixed with legends. I wouldn't pay much attention to the historical accuracy aspect of it. But the show itself is great - amazing acting from Travis Fimmel, great atmosphere and music by Wardruna.

@Alan989 It's definitely not as grand as GoT, the budget is much lower, although you can see it increasing season to season (just like GoT).

Is the storytelling better at least? I stopped watching GOT as I felt that the storyline just wasn't getting anywhere. It seemed like the story just froze.

(Seriously as much as I used to love GoT, the sex scenes where the man was still in his armour? drove me crazy).

Well it used to take men quite a while to take armor off, and you would also need help from another person doing it, so they would just take off the leg armor and get down to business, so it is a bit accurate :p

As for Vikings, as far as I know, all the information about them came from those they pillaged, even the Norse Saga were mostly written by their descendants in the 13th century (as far as I know), so not every info about them is actually accurate.

After I typed all that, I remembered that I got this info from good old Crash Course :p

Is the storytelling better at least? I stopped watching GOT as I felt that the storyline just wasn't getting anywhere. It seemed like the story just froze.

For the hundredth time, YES IT DOES get better.

@Princess_Ciri

I've been meaning to watch Vikings for some time but I never got around to it. Some history nerd I am, right? :rofl:

I know I can get both Seasons 1 and 2 on Prime, but I'm actually wondering: How much better is it than Game of Thrones? I gave up on that show half way through Season 2.

You should try it! I actually started watching it because people told me it was better than GoT, but it just has a smaller budget.
I enjoyed GoT up to season 3 and then got bored of it, but I don't know if that was because I read the books or if the show was just getting worse. I've not seen enough of it yet to say if it is better than GoT, but I think it has potential, for sure. I will let you know once I finish season 1!

---------- Updated at 01:05 AM ----------

Well it used to take men quite a while to take armor off, and you would also need help from another person doing it, so they would just take off the leg armor and get down to business, so it is a bit accurate :p

But women's dresses weren't easy to take off either! They had those big puffy skirts with the different underskirts and bodices that were laced up by servants! Armour might be heavier but I'm still not convinced that's an excuse to have more naked women than men. I lost hope in GoT once the writers started deciding they HAD to have a naked woman in each episode but could barely manage one naked man per season.

It is said that a Soviet alpine soldier returned home to a hero's welcome after the defense of Moscow. A TV crew came out from the big city to interview him and his young wife, and the reporter asked him, "Yuri Ivanovich, what was first thing you did when you came home?"

Yuri blushed and looked down and glanced at his wife and stammered a bit; he was finally able to get out these words, "Comrade, ask me rather what was second thing I did."

"Well, Yuri Ivanovich, what was second thing you did?"

"I took off skis."

I assume that armour must have had some kind of fast-release mechanism. Quite apart from the need to pee, what about raping the women after conquering a village? It would have been a serious design flaw if they'd needed to strip naked first.

As far as I can tell, even full plate doesn't actually encase that part of the body; a cuirass comes just to the waist, and cuisses are worn to the front and side of each thigh. Mail was worn as a coat, which could be pulled up, and leggings, which did not come to the waist.

Joan of Arc, who had need of protection from her own soldiers as much as the English, favored trousers held up with laces and points, which were time-consuming to undo. Similar to what Ves and Triss wear in TW2, though the points are not visible in their costumes.

Last edited:

Then you might like Vikings because the narrative moves at faster pace and revolves around fewer characters. I get annoyed with GOT for the way it meanders as well. It's fine to do that but you need more payoffs per season, and the series just wasn't delivering.

To be honest i'm not that big a fan of GoT, books or telly, just doesn't blow my skirt up. Preferred the first season of Rome when it comes to HBO drama.

Vikings i've watched bits of, but not settled down to do a full runthrough, I wished they'd stop dressing the warriors in biker leathers, with big clumsy stitching and crude cloth or even barechested, we know what warriors of that time wore, gambeson and coat, byrnie or hauberk of mail if they could afford it. If not they'd just stick with the gambeson, its thirty layers of linen were much better defense than a biker jacket. And the stitching of that period was far better than now, both men and womens.

Also Britain was not an unknown land across the waves, the sea or whale road as the Norse called it, was the safest and quickest method of getting from a to b in the ancient world, for everybody. Britain was known by everybody in Europe since ancient times, the Greeks and Phoenicians traded frequently with ancient Britons.

Nice to see them get shield wall right though, but that was a common tactic amongst both Norse and Angles.

To be honest i'm not that big a fan of GoT, books or telly, just doesn't blow my skirt up. Preferred the first season of Rome when it comes to HBO drama.

Vikings i've watched bits of, but not settled down to do a full runthrough, I wished they'd stop dressing the warriors in biker leathers, with big clumsy stitching and crude cloth or even barechested, we know what warriors of that time wore, gambeson and coat, byrnie or hauberk of mail if they could afford it. If not they'd just stick with the gambeson, its thirty layers of linen were much better defense than a biker jacket. And the stitching of that period was far better than now, both men and womens.

Also Britain was not an unknown land across the waves, the sea or whale road as the Norse called it, was the safest and quickest method of getting from a to b in the ancient world, for everybody. Britain was known by everybody in Europe since ancient times, the Greeks and Phoenicians traded frequently with ancient Britons.

Nice to see them get shield wall right though, but that was a common tactic amongst both Norse and Angles.

It's fantasy to be sure. I stopped expecting historical realism after the 3rd episode. What I do feel it gets right is some of the ethos and adventuring spirit of the Vikings, as well as their disregard for Christians, at least in the early part of the era.

I've heard the term real-fiction but not a real-fantasy. So a fiction can be real but a fantasy always be a fantasy.

Well I don't know if I'd call them 'supernatural elements' there's beliefs in supernatural elements certainly, all the prophecies and seers, dreams, visions etc but I can't recall any 'supernatural events' happening per se not counting things like luck of course, unless someone could remind me

Last edited:
I can't recall any 'supernatural events' happening per se not counting things like luck of course, unless someone could remind me

That goddamn seer ... (especially in season 2)

Top Bottom