Movies / TV Shows!

+
Well, I just finished watching Nightmare of the Wolf and I have to say it was fantastic. Definitely feel like Witcher is in good hands with Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. Good back story to watch before Witcher season 2 as well...
Just receive : "we added something who could please you"
It's also planned for this night, I'm quite impatient :)

Well, I just finished watching Nightmare of the Wolf and I have to say it was fantastic. Definitely feel like Witcher is in good hands with Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. Good back story to watch before Witcher season 2 as well...

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf
Just finished it and wow that was amazing, i absolutely loved it!
im gonna go watch it again!

Watched... Better than expected, and by far. Beautiful, I love it... I want more !
Well... maybe they should drop the Henry Show and just do an anime series :smart:

CDPR: were is Nibbles card? (=ↀωↀ=)✧

Post automatically merged:

Felidae is a 1994 German adult animated mystery film directed by Michael Schaack, written by Martin Kluger, Stefaan Schieder and Akif Pirinçci, and based on Pirinçci's 1989 novel of the same name. Produced by Trickompany, the film features the voices of Ulrich Tukur, Mario Adorf and Klaus Maria Brandauer. The story centers on domestic house cat Francis and the grisly feline murders taking place in his new neighborhood.|(wikipedia)

Ahh man so am I the only one who quite liked the style of Nightmare of the Wolf, but had major issues with the plot?
For one thing the "training" of the Witcher kids made no sense - you already lose so many to the Trials, why would you throw them into a swamp obviously unprepared to be unnecessarily slaughtered? As a friend pointed out, compare the way the kids are treated in NotW compared to Ciri's training where she learns about monsters and is taught to fight competently before ever being put in a situation where her life is in real danger. Even with Old Speartip, Lambert's cohort was an anomaly in how many of them were wiped out.

More importantly though, the big secret that Witchers were secretly engineering monsters to keep their funding sources intact just. Flattens so much of the nuance and complexity about the morality of Witcher schools, and how the common folk felt about them :/

Ahh man so am I the only one who quite liked the style of Nightmare of the Wolf, but had major issues with the plot?
For one thing the "training" of the Witcher kids made no sense - you already lose so many to the Trials, why would you throw them into a swamp obviously unprepared to be unnecessarily slaughtered? As a friend pointed out, compare the way the kids are treated in NotW compared to Ciri's training where she learns about monsters and is taught to fight competently before ever being put in a situation where her life is in real danger. Even with Old Speartip, Lambert's cohort was an anomaly in how many of them were wiped out.

More importantly though, the big secret that Witchers were secretly engineering monsters to keep their funding sources intact just. Flattens so much of the nuance and complexity about the morality of Witcher schools, and how the common folk felt about them :/
I liked it :)
But for the "training", no I don't think "it make no sense".
If I remember, when Geralt and Lambert goes to the "circles of elements" for "repearing" the phylactery (The Final Trial), the training in their times was very hard and many, many novices would die during the "process" (and also killed by the Old Speartip) :(

If I remember, when Geralt and Lambert goes to the "circles of elements" for "repearing" the phylactery (The Final Trial), the training in their times was very hard and many, many novices would die during the "process" (and also killed by the Old Speartip) :(
Yeah, but like I said - even with Old Speartip, Lambert's cohort was an anomaly in how many of them were wiped out, wasn't it? Plus the kids went into it aware that it would be a trial, aware of what the dangers would be, and with a reasonable idea of how they could try to avoid those dangers and survive. (In theory.)

I just feel in general that the Witcher schools did enough terrible things already to make them extremely morally dubious institutions, without
throwing kids into monster dens for no good reason or the whole plot about engineering monsters.

The latter in particular makes the continued existence of the School of the Wolf pretty much impossible to justify. Which makes the townsfolk's decision to attack a lot more black-and-white, and that in turn makes the whole massacre at Kaer Morhen less interesting to me.

@eatingcroutons I know, right? Let's throw a bunch of untrained kids into the meat grinder and see what happens.

I have issues with NotW's style as well. Vesemir's haircut is too modern and he cracks "hip" jokes, talking about brands and trendsetting and the like. Also, that Tetra character is nothing but a discount Yennefer. They even gave her violet eyes for crying out loud! Why? It makes no sense to me...

Last edited:
Maybe you are too aware about Witcher's universe :(
It's a anim for large audience, so it seem obvious that some things wouldn't match very well.
In my case, nothing "major". Llike for the quest "The Final Trial", I had to search (hard) in my memories for find it.

But not bad at all overall (exactly the same as the serie) :)

Also, witcher signs are supposed to be fairly weak spells, little more than cantrips, really. But in the anime, they look like giant plasma cannons or something.
Yep, you're right :D
For the show, they probably didn't want "little effect" of signs like Aard, Quen or Igni who Geralt launch in TW3. I must admit that on the screen it would be a disappointment... :(

I mean, if this anime was set in some other fictional universe instead of the witcher, I'd say it's alright. But since it's supposed to be part of the witcherverse, I can't help but feel irritated by all the ways the anime contradicts established lore.

They didn't throw kids to the wolves in the books, they taught them swordplay, put them through a physical conditioning routine, fed them a special diet (that was supposed to ease the mutation process later on, if I recall correctly), and only after they survived the excruciating Trial of the Grasses, which turned them into mutants, did they receive a witcher's medallion. And of course, throughout their training, they learned everything they needed to know about various monsters: their anatomy, their habits, the most efficient ways to kill them, etc. The entire training process was tailored to maximize a fledgling witcher's chance to not only survive a monster encounter but also to kill said monster.

But in the anime, they scarcely trained those kids, gave them a bunch of medallions (so they know when something's coming to eat them) and just dropped them in a swamp. Good luck, kids!
I fail to see the merit in such a training method, so I'll have to rate this particular witcher school 0 White Gulls out of 5. Would definitely NOT send my firstborn to train there, the Law of Surprise be damned!

Top Bottom