Movies / TV Shows!

+
Watched my feel good film for about the billionth time.

One of my all time favourites.

Watched my feel good film for about the billionth time.

Idk why but this film always scared me as a kid. It makes me uncomfortable even now... not sure why tho

---------- Updated at 01:07 PM ----------

SyFy published The Expanse on-line (first 4 episodes): http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

If you like science fiction (especially more physics oriented and less cheesy than most space flights) don't miss it.

:( It won't let me watch in the UK. Sigh.

Yeah I've been meaning to watch The Expanse myself but at the time of night it's on, my parents are watching those shitty soap operas. :(

I've been wanting to watch the BBC's adaptation of War and Peace that has started this week, but annoyingly my internet is being particularly slow so it's quite difficult to get the iplayer to work properly. From the 5 minutes I saw it looks good though :( i hope I can watch it soon.

Try a VPN may be? A proxy might also work. Geoblocking is indeed nasty and frankly just dumb in the age of Internet, but usually it can be worked around if needed.

i'll give it a go later and see if i can get it to work. Otherwise i might be able to find another website streaming it.

But yeah it's SO annoying. It makes little sense either. When I was in Japan i had unlimited access to Jon Stewart's the Daily Show, but in the UK it's blocked. What is the logic there

But yeah it's SO annoying. It makes little sense either. When I was in Japan i had unlimited access to Jon Stewart's the Daily Show, but in the UK it's blocked. What is the logic there

Usually it's caused by archaic and obsolete approach to regional licensing and market segmentation which some businesses are used to (especially film industry). Such approach is stupid in the age of Internet because it reflects physical merchandise and physical borders logic. But these legacy businesses have hard time adapting to the digital age, so that's where all this awkwardness comes from. People just work around geoblocking using the analog of physical travel in the digital sense (i.e. VPN or proxy). It's similar to not finding some book in your local store because local retailer doesn't sell it, and traveling to another region to buy that book there (but all translated in digital terms).

Just note that some distributors tried to complain about such workarounds and claim that it should be forbidden (that's absurd) instead of actually dropping geoblocking. But they can as well complain about people traveling and buying books abroad.

Last edited:
I can't imagine this problem will go away easily either. Even big companies based on providing internet services do this. There are lots of programmes on the American netflix site that aren't available on the UK site, which is just annoying and stupid.

Yes, indeed. I've red that EU recently tried to regulate this mess and forbid such kind of geoblocking in EU at least. But worldwide it still remains a problem.

---------- Updated at 11:41 AM ----------

Yeah I've been meaning to watch The Expanse myself but at the time of night it's on, my parents are watching those shitty soap operas. :(

You should be able to watch them on-line. It's pretty good - interesting plot with attention to detail and believable depiction of the settings. And I like how they show actual space flights.

New season of Luther started - so far 2 episodes. Can't wait for some more Idris Elba manliness.

EDIT: Oh shit, it's only two episodes, finale of the series.

Last edited:
I watched 'This is Where I Leave You' yesterday. I originally watched it for Adam Driver but it had a lot of other actors and actresses I recognised and liked (so many from Parks and Rec)

It was a pretty generic film in terms of the plot but it had quite a few genuinely funny moments...

and I also learnt some interesting things about Jewish culture, although I'm not sure how realistic it was. Probably more of an accurate account of families that are culturally but not necessarily strongly religiously Jewish. It was also nice to see a movie that was focused on family. Has anyone else seen this one?

I watched 'This is Where I Leave You' yesterday. I originally watched it for Adam Driver but it had a lot of other actors and actresses I recognised and liked (so many from Parks and Rec)

It was a pretty generic film in terms of the plot but it had quite a few genuinely funny moments...

and I also learnt some interesting things about Jewish culture, although I'm not sure how realistic it was. Probably more of an accurate account of families that are culturally but not necessarily strongly religiously Jewish. It was also nice to see a movie that was focused on family. Has anyone else seen this one?

I think I have. But I don't remember it strongly enough to have an opinion on it's qualities... which might still say something about it's qualities. :huh:
topic: GF and I are currently watching Downton Abbey, a british TV series. Anybody else watch it?

I think I have. But I don't remember it strongly enough to have an opinion on it's qualities... which might still say something about it's qualities. :huh:

lol yeah it's not a particularly memorable film, but it was enjoyable enough.

topic: GF and I are currently watching Downton Abbey, a british TV series. Anybody else watch it?

I don't - but people here (in the UK) are generally obsessed with it, it's a very popular show. It always seemed a bit too much like a soap opera to me, just set in the past.

Top Bottom