My take on why this game failed so hard, despite how good Witcher 3 was

+
It's the same as saying, "I offer delicious steaks at my restaurant -- a top-shelf dining experience." Well...maybe some people feel that it's not "top-shelf" unless steaks are dry-aged. Others would argue it's not "top-shelf" unless there's an offer for lobster tail to go with the steak. Wait -- there's no Bernaise sauce!? Then it's "obviously" not "top-shelf"! This place offers only ribeye, sirloin, or NY strip!? There's no filet mingon or chateubriand!?!? And they have the AUDACITY to call this steakhouse "TOP-SHELF"!?!?!? HOLY @#$%@! The glasses aren't made of actual crystal!! They're only GLASS!!! THIS IS NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO FREAKING "TOP-SHELF"!!! And, etc...

You get my point. It's not up to a restaurant to ensure that every subjective detail of what "top-shelf" dining means to every subjective customer that walks through the door is met. It's job is to provide good steaks. Hence, if I decorate my restaurant with patio furniture and have paper napkins -- I'm still free to call it "top-shelf" based on the food. Liking it or not liking it is up to the customer. I'm not responsible for their individual preferences. I'm responsible for offering my vision. Anyone who doesn't like it simply won't eat at my restaurant. And the people that do like it will continue to eat at my restaurant. But no one is free to point the finger at me and say I'm "lying" based on their, personal, subjective interpretation of what "top-shelf" should or should not entail. End result is people either like the steaks or they don't. Personal preference. Subjective.
I don't think this comparison is all that valid. You are correct in regards to your example that it is a subjective opinion, whether a steak is good or bad.

But the example doesn't really reflect the issue, I think. Because the issue as I see it at least, is if the restaurant say they are selling Kobe beef, but in fact they ain't and it's just some sad milking cow beef, then it is a problem. Obviously you as a person might not like Kobe beef regardless of it being the best quality available or not, that is your subjective opinion.

Your example is sort of like CDPR going out saying, "We are making the best open world RPG ever!!!", fair enough that is subjective. But if they go out claiming "We are making the most advanced AI in any open world game to date" and it can't figure out how to go around a parked car, then that is borderline lying. Because then it is not even remotely advanced and definitely not close to being the most advanced AI in an open world. Now being realistic, everyone know that these comments and statements are made by anyone trying to sell a product, so we accept it, to some degree. And it's not like people will sit down and dissect every little detail about the AI to figure out, whether CDPR in fact made the most advanced one to date or not.
But people will react when such statement is made, when something that is considered very basic AI in games today, seem impossible for it to do, and that will trigger people to start testing it a bit more in regards to how advanced it really is, because something about such statement seem to far from the truth that we don't simply accept it as normal "marketing selling stuff" anymore.

I bet you, that were CP's AI capable of doing what the AI can in GTA 5, no one would have bothered with it. The issue is, that if you venture to far from a claim, it becomes "bullshit" that people won't accept. To me that is the issue with a lot of the statements made about CP in the marketing material.

Frankly, I think that the game delivers a pretty awesome gameplay experience with a lot of rough edges. I still think it qualifies as "next-gen" (even if it's AI isn't as good at GTA's AI). I still think it is a quality RPG experience where choice and consequence really matters (even if Detroit: Become Human offered more choices and outcomes). I still think it offers a wide range of playstyles, significantly effective skills, and cool stealth / combat / dialogue pathways (even if XYZ game is more intricate / better balanced / more varied). Too many subjective concerns involved in all of this (and every other game for that matter) to ever say "this game is lying about what it offers and is a failure."
I completely agree, I was very entertained during my playthrough, in fact I played GTA 5 just before CP and weren't really caught by it due to lacking character creation, didn't really like the driving to much, the switching of characters etc. Might in fact be one of the few people, that enjoy driving in CP more than GTA 5 :D

I would however disagree with choices mattering, I have a lot of general design issues in CP, which I don't think is good, like combat, the lack of a walking button, skill design where some of them makes absolutely no sense. Like the ability to not be spotted when swimming? I don't know how many missions people have done underwater, where they thought this was a huge issue. I did the one with Judy and then I jumped in the harbor just for fun :D The crafting is broken and the list goes on. My point being that despite all these things, I did enjoy playing it, but one can't simply judge it based on that I think, but have to judge it, based on what they said and how they delivered it.

As for the fixing issues after release, I used to be really bothered with this before I first worked with a studio on a game. It's, frankly, borderline impossible to release a game this big without major issues. And that is going to get worse and worse as games get bigger and bigger. That's just simple cause and effect. Even 1,000 QA testers working around the clock for a year would not find half of the odd issues that can arise in systems this complex. (But millions of players world-wide on various platforms definitely will! Guaranteed! :p )
This again is something that is subjective I think, I don't think anyone expect games to be released 100% bug free, and if they do then clearly they are diluted, especially as you say, the scope of games today are massive. So this is obviously a scale of how many bugs do people find acceptable.

And as I mentioned, maybe the AAA industry need to change how they do things. Maybe apply the same strategy as a lot of minor studio uses, which is to start releasing games in alpha versions and keep working on them while getting feedback from players. They in return would know that it is an alpha game and that bugs exists etc.

A lot of studios seem to have success doing this, Larian studios with Baldur's gate 3 (Now this studio to me, really seem to know what the hell they are doing, they are releasing top quality games, in my opinion at least):

BG3.jpg

But as you can see, Early access game with a "Very positive" feedback from a lot of reviewers. Subnautica have done pretty much the same.

Looking at 7 days to die, which is also really impressive:

7days.jpg

Been in early access since 2013 or maybe even before and yet "Very positive" from a lots of reviewers.

From what they write:

HOW LONG WILL YOU SURVIVE?
With over 11 million copies sold, 7 Days to Die has defined the survival genre, with unrivaled crafting and world-building content.

This is a small studio compared to CDPR. From their website:
Little did any of us know that after almost 4 years later we would still be working on 7 Days to Die, the game would reach over 2.5 million copies sold on PC , the game would make Valve’s top 100 best selling games of all time and the team size would grow to over twenty five with full and part time team members. This game has become our passion and we still aim to make it hands down the best damn zombie game ever made.

I don't know how many employees they have now, but I doubt its anywhere close to CDPR. :)

I mean maybe it's time for the AAA studios to learn something from these guys.
But looking at a lot of the latest releases from some of these studios something is clearly not done correctly here, when they time after time are releasing games which just fails big time, either due to gameplay or simply doesn't meet expectations. Now CP sold really really well, so in that regard it was a hit, but in regards to PR it was a disaster. So maybe the issue is not that games have bugs during development, but rather that people get a feeling of them being solved before final release, and early access games done by good studios seem to handle this quite well.

Maybe getting a steady stream of feedback from fans during development can help guide the development in directions that players are after and sort of improve areas that are not working etc.

Last edited:
But you are incorrect about things locking you out of an endgame. There are 3 things that are required to reach the Point of No Return.

There are a lot of branches even in the main story, and then there are side quests attached to it that expand things more and then there are side quests attached to side quests and on it goes. But there is definitely a main story that you must progress along to reach an endgame.

These are the "junctures" I'm discussing. Consider them story "nodes" rather than "chapters". This is hard to explain, as the lay terminology can easily overlap. (Along with there not being readily accepted terminology for a lot of "choose-your-own-adventure" styles of writing.)

A "story" is broken down in to many things: plot, theme, sub-themes, character evolution, internal and external conflicts, literary allusions and allegory, symbolism, satire or rhetorical devices...etc. Normally, exploring this will be done along a defined arc that leads to an ultimate resolution. The main theme and conflicts will be resolved according to that arc. The conclusion is foregone. Even if the audience does not know it yet, the content creates a very specific, dictated context through which the themes are resolved. A theme can be either an established message clearly delivered to the audience, or it can be a profound question that has no definitive answer. (The former is the most common by far...and the latter tends to drive large segments of the audience up the wall: ala the spinning top at the end of Inception.) So, a level of interpretation is valid, but the structure of the story -- the plot -- is 100% defined. Chapter 1 will always lead to Chapter 2. Then comes Chapter 3 before Chapter 4. Etc. This is where the pacing of a story can be fiddled and tweaked by the author(s) until the delivery is "just so". (Most games follow this approach, while providing side content to create the illusion of player agency and choice / consequence...and often botch up the pacing a bit. "The Hunt is coming. I can feel it. The fate of the world will be decided tonight. How about a round of Gwent?" ;) )

Cyberpunk is very different. Arguably, the intro is fairly linear. Flavored differently with the different backstory paths, perhaps, but linear in plot execution: meet Jackie --> meet Dex --> Arasaka and the shard --> here's Johnny! And that ends the intro. After this, there is no defined plot arc. There are now numerous, optional pathways through the remaining narrative with no, specifically structured execution. There will be story nodes that the player arrives at to ensure their chosen plot moves forward, but how and why the player arrives at those nodes, and where the story will go from there is anything but linear or dictated. The player will create their story (from the options provided) and will resolve their chosen narrative based on the choices they make along the way. And this will all happen while continuing to engage in those wildly detailed, cinematic dialogues that conform to the choices the players have made. This is a lot harder to create than Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3...

What I don't think went over well is the likelihood of arriving at a "tragic" ending. Also, the pacing for some executions may feel rather abrupt. Arguably, that could be improved upon. But for me, I would have to argue that the endings must revolve around the central theme. That being "immortality"...well there's not really many other places to go in terms of resolution. In a sense, this was a really smart move by the devs -- both for ensuring such a nebulous narrative remained focused enough to be viable and to present a believable resolution to the player's chosen exploration of the main theme.

So ultimately, I count that a resounding success. Mission accomplished -- endgame reached -- non-linear storyline concluded. It's simply that many players didn't like the approach to gameplay and/or the main theme.

I don't think this comparison is all that valid. You are correct in regards to your example that it is a subjective opinion, whether a steak is good or bad.

But the example doesn't really reflect the issue, I think. Because the issue as I see it at least, is if the restaurant say they are selling Kobe beef, but in fact they ain't and it's just some sad milking cow beef, then it is a problem. Obviously you as a person might not like Kobe beef regardless of it being the best quality available or not, that is your subjective opinion.

Your example is sort of like CDPR going out saying, "We are making the best open world RPG ever!!!", fair enough that is subjective. But if they go out claiming "We are making the most advanced AI in any open world game to date" and it can't figure out how to go around a parked car, then that is borderline lying. Because then it is not even remotely advanced and definitely not close to being the most advanced AI in an open world. Now being realistic, everyone know that these comments and statements are made by anyone trying to sell a product, so we accept it, to some degree. And it's not like people will sit down and dissect every little detail about the AI to figure out, whether CDPR in fact made the most advanced one to date or not.
But people will react when such statement is made, when something that is considered very basic AI in games today, seem impossible for it to do, and that will trigger people to start testing it a bit more in regards to how advanced it really is, because something about such statement seem to far from the truth that we don't simply accept it as normal "marketing selling stuff" anymore.

I bet you, that were CP's AI capable of doing what the AI can in GTA 5, no one would have bothered with it. The issue is, that if you venture to far from a claim, it becomes "bullshit" that people won't accept. To me that is the issue with a lot of the statements made about CP in the marketing material.

It's a valid comparison in terms of advertising something that's being sold. Language will be used that promote the product -- of course! But people often add their own meaning on top of what was already said, then want the businesses to answer for their imaginings. Or somehow compensate them for the "meal" if they happen not to like it.

There's the issue. These things you mention were never said (that I'm aware of!) For example, nothing was ever claimed that game had "the most advanced AI" in any open-world game. Who said this? When? Here's something that was said -- word for word:

"We have greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date."

This was the plan! And it largely worked! The way crowds are created by the game feels a lot more like walking the streets of big cities like New York than anything GTA ever created. Yeah, there are issues, but take a look at the most crowded scenes from GTA 5 and start counting. There might be 10 NPCs on the screen at once. Whereas it's not hard to find scenes with nearly 50 NPCs on-screen in Cyberpunk. I've not played a game that made cities feel this populated. Some of the Assassin's Creed games may have had more NPCs...but they certainly didn't offer the sheer amount of signature environments or unique buildings as well.

Here's where the speculation and assumption starts taking over. What authority defines what makes a game city "most believable"? Is it the number of NPCs? Is it their random dialogue variety? Is it their reactions? Is it how well the AI handles traffic? Is it having every NPC follow a day-night schedule?

Well, if it's number -- then Assassin's Creed wins hands-down. I don't think any other game has ever created crowds that huge. Even though they just walk about randomly and don't really interact with anything. And their reactions are limited to "get bumped into" and "be horrified".

If it's dialogue variety, reactions, or traffic AI, then I think GTA and Red Dead get the prize. Makes sense since almost the entire engine is built on that system, and the majority of game resources are devoted to it. But they're not RPGs. Linear story lines and minigames strung together to create a simple (if very enjoyable!) action game and sandbox. Gameplay is largely limited to drive / run and shoot / punch.

If it's about NPCs having schedules, then I'm afraid that the Gothic and Risen series are going to get the medals. No game I've ever seen has had such universally intricate schedules for literally every, single NPC.

So, Cyberpunk did its own thing. I would argue they went for the feeling of "bustling streets", and they nailed it. I've, personally, never experienced a game that bullseyes what it feels like to walk around a crowded, urban environment better than Cyberpunk does. (Hopefully, they can improve the AI, add some more dynamic reactions, make the traffic more fluent, and stop the teleporting cops. But I'd argue mission accomplished for creating crowds that make the player really feel like they're in a city.)

I completely agree, I was very entertained during my playthrough, in fact I played GTA 5 just before CP and weren't really caught by it due to lacking character creation, didn't really like the driving to much, the switching of characters etc. Might in fact be one of the few people, that enjoy driving in CP more than GTA 5 :D

I would however disagree with choices mattering, I have a lot of general design issues in CP, which I don't think is good, like combat, the lack of a walking button, skill design where some of them makes absolutely no sense. Like the ability to not be spotted when swimming? I don't know how many missions people have done underwater, where they thought this was a huge issue. I did the one with Judy and then I jumped in the harbor just for fun :D The crafting is broken and the list goes on. My point being that despite all these things, I did enjoy playing it, but one can't simply judge it based on that I think, but have to judge it, based on what they said and how they delivered it.

This is part and parcel for most RPGs, in some fashion. There are always some skills that seem to work better than others...certain skills that seem like they don't really serve a meaningful purpose...especially when compared to skills that are wildly effective. I can find example of this going back to the D&D Gold Box series. It happened in TW3, too.

It's just part of the creative process. People create something that seems like a really cool idea. They build in a couple of great moments where it can be used. There are plans to work it into other areas. Then...

Time. Money. Resources. Hours. Deadlines.

And...it never really gets its moment to shine. Pick any RPG in existence, and I'll show you an example of this. Action RPGs will suffer less from it (like Diablo, Dark Souls, or Destiny) because they're far more heavily focused on combat gameplay. Or there will be similar systems in games like FarCry that have ironed out their systems over multiple iterations of the game.

This again is something that is subjective I think, I don't think anyone expect games to be released 100% bug free, and if they do then clearly they are diluted, especially as you say, the scope of games today are massive. So this is obviously a scale of how many bugs do people find acceptable.

And as I mentioned, maybe the AAA industry need to change how they do things. Maybe apply the same strategy as a lot of minor studio uses, which is to start releasing games in alpha versions and keep working on them while getting feedback from players. They in return would know that it is an alpha game and that bugs exists etc.

A lot of studios seem to have success doing this...

I mean maybe it's time for the AAA studios to learn something from these guys.
But looking at a lot of the latest releases from some of these studios something is clearly not done correctly here, when they time after time are releasing games which just fails big time, either due to gameplay or simply doesn't meet expectations. Now CP sold really really well, so in that regard it was a hit, but in regards to PR it was a disaster. So maybe the issue is not that games have bugs during development, but rather that people get a feeling of them being solved before final release, and early access games done by good studios seem to handle this quite well.

Maybe getting a steady stream of feedback from fans during development can help guide the development in directions that players are after and sort of improve areas that are not working etc.

:D CDPR was and still is a smaller developer. Yes, there are now a lot of people working for the company, but it's still nothing compared to EA, Activision, or Epic. There are a lot of people that completely misconstrue how big CDPR is, or how many resources they have compared to long-standing AAA companies. They became more recognized and popular after TW3, but they only grew to cap 1,000 employees during Cyberpunk's production. (By comparison, Rockstar Games had over 2,000 empolyees before production of Red Dead 2 even began. And look at the state it released in on PC. Look at the bugs. Look at the crazy AI behavior at times.) It's just the nature of the game being made. A game like 7 Days to Die is far simpler in scope than something like CP2077 or Baldur's Gate 3. That's like comparing building a shed to building a 3-bedroom house.

But the concept of Early Access is almost a given, I'd say. Meaning, I don't think it will be truly possible to finish games in the future without massive, public testing. They're just getting too big for even huge studios to test effectively. Trouble there is for games that want to tell a story. Opening up the public to it will, without question, create spoilers that will spread and wind up killing the experience for many players.

So, I think we're in for bugs in the future no matter what.

Last edited:
The success of a game is measured in sales and people playing it. CP2077 has succeeded by both metrics, and that's with the disaster that is their console launch.

Noise makers on the internet are not indicative of success or failure.

80% of financial success of Cyberpunk is based on preorders. Yes, it is still success, but I'm sure people will think twice before preordering their next game, especially the ones with consoles.

So it is definitely success for this particular project, still it is questionable success for the studio.

It's a valid comparison in terms of advertising something that's being sold. Language will be used that promote the product -- of course! But people often add their own meaning on top of what was already said, then want the businesses to answer for their imaginings. Or somehow compensate them for the "meal" if they happen not to like it.

There's the issue. These things you mention were never said (that I'm aware of!) For example, nothing was ever claimed that game had "the most advanced AI" in any open-world game. Who said this? When? Here's something that was said -- word for word:

"We have greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date."

This was the plan! And it largely worked! The way crowds are created by the game feels a lot more like walking the streets of big cities like New York than anything GTA ever created. Yeah, there are issues, but take a look at the most crowded scenes from GTA 5 and start counting. There might be 10 NPCs on the screen at once. Whereas it's not hard to find scenes with nearly 50 NPCs on-screen in Cyberpunk. I've not played a game that made cities feel this populated. Some of the Assassin's Creed games may have had more NPCs...but they certainly didn't offer the sheer amount of signature environments or unique buildings as well.

Here's where the speculation and assumption starts taking over. What authority defines what makes a game city "most believable"? Is it the number of NPCs? Is it their random dialogue variety? Is it their reactions? Is it how well the AI handles traffic? Is it having every NPC follow a day-night schedule?

Well, if it's number -- then Assassin's Creed wins hands-down. I don't think any other game has ever created crowds that huge. Even though they just walk about randomly and don't really interact with anything. And their reactions are limited to "get bumped into" and "be horrified".

If it's dialogue variety, reactions, or traffic AI, then I think GTA and Red Dead get the prize. Makes sense since almost the entire engine is built on that system, and the majority of game resources are devoted to it. But they're not RPGs. Linear story lines and minigames strung together to create a simple (if very enjoyable!) action game and sandbox. Gameplay is largely limited to drive / run and shoot / punch.

If it's about NPCs having schedules, then I'm afraid that the Gothic and Risen series are going to get the medals. No game I've ever seen has had such universally intricate schedules for literally every, single NPC.

So, Cyberpunk did its own thing. I would argue they went for the feeling of "bustling streets", and they nailed it. I've, personally, never experienced a game that bullseyes what it feels like to walk around a crowded, urban environment better than Cyberpunk does. (Hopefully, they can improve the AI, add some more dynamic reactions, make the traffic more fluent, and stop the teleporting cops. But I'd argue mission accomplished for creating crowds that make the player really feel like they're in a city.)
I agree with you on the question of what makes or define what qualifies as the most believable city?
Assuming we are talking a big city, that graphics is of some realistic quality. And obviously this is my view on what I think does it.
There need to be people and traffic in it, as these adds life to it and is what we expect. Being able to randomly chat to people on the street, doesn't necessarily add anything because these are of no particular interest and personally I have only done it a few times in CP, obviously because they usually say something that doesn't make sense. But mostly because I don't see a reason for it, unless I knew that some sort of functionality were build into it, that could be useful.

But general behavior is important, that the NPCs do things that make sense or what you would expect them to. (Ignoring bugs), but stuff like being able to navigate the world, like going around obstacles, whether that is driving or walking. These are probably the two most basic things in my opinion, that they can do all sorts of other things, simply add to it, but if those two fail, then it really ruins the illusion.

If you watch this little video I made:

This is bad when it comes to it being beliable, because it is so far from what we expect. I would expect some of them to go around the car, some might yell "What the hell" or something, others might kick it and go around, crawl over it or whatever would fit with the CP universe.

Now CP is an open world game, but I don't think it handles as many NPCs as one might think, simply due to how they constantly spawn and despawn sometimes in front of your eyes.

Compare it to Hitman 2, which I find pretty impressive to be honest, my guess it that they despite not being an open world game, are dealing with far more NPCs than CP is at any given point. Even looking at how the player character moves between them is really nicely done and this is pre beta (obviously released now), this seems really good to me.

I agree, that Night city gives a very good illusion of a big city, as long as you don't pay to much attention :) And I have no doubts that over time, with CDPR improving the game, that it will be a lot better. At least I hope, both when it comes to NPCs but also traffic, police etc.

So, yes you are correct that this is subjective as well, but I still think its really to stretch such statement, compared to what one would expect.

This is part and parcel for most RPGs, in some fashion. There are always some skills that seem to work better than others...certain skills that seem like they don't really serve a meaningful purpose...especially when compared to skills that are wildly effective. I can find example of this going back to the D&D Gold Box series. It happened in TW3, too.

It's just part of the creative process. People create something that seems like a really cool idea. They build in a couple of great moments where it can be used. There are plans to work it into other areas. Then...

Time. Money. Resources. Hours. Deadlines.

And...it never really gets its moment to shine. Pick any RPG in existence, and I'll show you an example of this. Action RPGs will suffer less from it (like Diablo, Dark Souls, or Destiny) because they're far more heavily focused on combat gameplay. Or there will be similar systems in games like FarCry that have ironed out their systems over multiple iterations of the game.
My guess is that some abilities/skills are going to be changed, they simply doesn't make sense. And personally I think that the reason they are in the game now, is because CP was rushed out a bit to fast. And these wouldn't have made it, had they had time to change it, it doesn't require anyone especially educated in game development to see that these probably weren't meant to be there. And it's not a huge problem, I think, but I do believe that its shows the pressure they were under.

But the concept of Early Access is almost a given, I'd say. Meaning, I don't think it will be truly possible to finish games in the future without massive, public testing. They're just getting too big for even huge studios to test effectively. Trouble there is for games that want to tell a story. Opening up the public to it will, without question, create spoilers that will spread and wind up killing the experience for many players.

I would at least like to see how an AAA studio would fair, should they go this way, I think it would work very well and put a lot less stress on the developers in general, since there is no official release date, the game as such is already released, it's just not completed, but at least to me, it would give the companies a bit more room for developing these games in more healthy environments :)

The management and company would also regularly receive and income, get feedback on whether the game had a chance, maybe fix it, before wasting a lot of money on something that is dead on arrival etc.

Anyway could be interesting to see I think.

The trouble is many thought they were getting a steak, ordered one and ended up with a pork chop. They saw the disclaimer reading, "All meat products are currently subject to availability, if one is not available a substitute will be provided.", but didn't think this would mean they would get a pork chop. And some of the customers don't eat pork.

I'd mention, if I went to a restaurant and got a pork chop when I ordered a steak I probably wouldn't go back. Regardless of the reason for it or whether there was a disclaimer or not. There are plenty of other restaurants out there where I can be confident ordering a steak results in getting a steak.

Work in progress should mean they intend to add X, will try and it might not turn out exactly as advertised. I seriously doubt anyone has a problem with mechanics not turning out exactly as advertised. What they have a problem with is when the work in progress disclaimer appears like it's being abused andstretched waaaay too far.

I've been coming to these forums for a while since i got CP i played through it first in 1.06, so some of the really gnarly bugs were gone, but lets be honest the game is in a poor state even today. Reading how some people experienced the game and enjoyed it, i knew if i played then i wouldn't have seen Jackie off.

Something I've noticed for some time on these forums though is peoples defence of the game being 'its not a failure its sold xx copies and broke yy record' I think you've missed the point of the issue though.

The issue isnt monitory, CDPR is a very big, very wealthy company. The issue is that they will never fully recover their reputation and trust IMO. I will never trust CD when they say those things again, and I'm betting many of the silent majority are the same, remember a very very small percentage of people come to forums to discuss these things.

Secondly, when i did first start coming here and reading this stuff was when we were getting lots of feedback from the teams, that added fuel to the fire i believe, saying that the PC versions were great and 10/10 games was a mistake. Removing peoples forum posts that said bad things about the game was a mistake. People remember this stuff, people remember when EA made bad choices and STILL dont trust them AT ALL.

questline.png

Honestly the main quest line was mostly linear, if it had been more complex it would have been better. We should have been able to chose which gangs and corps to help or to hurt. Also need side factions with their own quests.
Another area of improvement would be A.I., everyone is brain dead.

View attachment 11163386
Honestly the main quest line was mostly linear, if it had been more complex it would have been better. We should have been able to chose which gangs and corps to help or to hurt. Also need side factions with their own quests.

I agree with this post.

There's just so many variables that come into play. One of the issues starts with there being three different life paths. How do you make a game with three different life paths? In reality, they would each have different events that occurred. In order to make it work; CDPR looped it back into the same thing. Everything leads to Arasaka and the relic chip. It would be a different game if the choice of inserting the relic chip, really impacted the story. As a result, Jackie would have the relic chip and not have gotten hurt. Therefore, that leaves V free to indulge in other things. That's a start in getting the game that we were teased for the past two years. In the earlier character design teaser, you could select your "Childhood Hero". Those choices were Johnny Silverhand, Morgan Blackhand and Saburo Arasaka".

I've finished NOMAD. I'm currently playing CORPO; but it feels like I'm playing NOMAD, again. CORPO starts out very good. Your a cut throat assistant for a Arasaka executive. But you don't get to enjoy the spoils for too long and you back to normal V. The game needs a distinguished feel between all three life paths. You still work with PANAM, just as you did in the NOMAD life path. What if CORPO was an entirely new different set of characters and side quest that you deal with? Some of them could have been included in all three; but more distinguishable ones in each life path. For example; the CORPO lifepath would have allowed you to engage in more dangerous missions and making power plays for the company that you work for.

It is possible for CDPR to create this game; but at some point in time, they have to decide what they want to do. Gamers are getting much smarter as the months go by. We know this is doable for PC; but is it doable for console?

I agree with this post.

There's just so many variables that come into play. One of the issues starts with there being three different life paths. How do you make a game with three different life paths? In reality, they would each have different events that occurred. In order to make it work; CDPR looped it back into the same thing. Everything leads to Arasaka and the relic chip. It would be a different game if the choice of inserting the relic chip, really impacted the story. As a result, Jackie would have the relic chip and not have gotten hurt. Therefore, that leaves V free to indulge in other things. That's a start in getting the game that we were teased for the past two years. In the earlier character design teaser, you could select your "Childhood Hero". Those choices were Johnny Silverhand, Morgan Blackhand and Saburo Arasaka".

I've finished NOMAD. I'm currently playing CORPO; but it feels like I'm playing NOMAD, again. CORPO starts out very good. Your a cut throat assistant for a Arasaka executive. But you don't get to enjoy the spoils for too long and you back to normal V. The game needs a distinguished feel between all three life paths. You still work with PANAM, just as you did in the NOMAD life path. What if CORPO was an entirely new different set of characters and side quest that you deal with? Some of them could have been included in all three; but more distinguishable ones in each life path. For example; the CORPO lifepath would have allowed you to engage in more dangerous missions and making power plays for the company that you work for.

It is possible for CDPR to create this game; but at some point in time, they have to decide what they want to do. Gamers are getting much smarter as the months go by. We know this is doable for PC; but is it doable for console?
Actually they could still make it work if you save Jackie, Jackie was injured so V takes the chip to go deal with Dex while Jackie seeks treatment, Dex shoots you ending the prologue. You can have fixed points in a story it just takes some work. Like if we decided to work with Biotechnica, which does all sorts of biotech work, we should be able to slow the damage the relic is causing, or find how the animals do their genetic alterations and achieve the same thing. We should also be able to steal it if we choose to work with other factions. That way CDPR could have done their dlc setup and we wouldn't be as worried about V falling over dead any moment.
There is more then one way to accomplish a goal, it just takes planning. If you know the starting point and the ending point filling in the middle isn't super hard.

It's fun game for me and cyberpunk genre is my fav, but it's not as revolutionary as CDPR claimed. I wished they didn't over hype this product, so people are not that disappointed. The reason I do not have such disappointment is because I'm not TW fan and CDPR follower, but I do not blame people out there who mad are at CDPR, and their reasons is justified.

I don't want to be honest here, because my words might be harsh. What I can say is, CDPR need to work more harder than before to reclaimed their player trust. I wish all the best for them.

It's fun game for me and cyberpunk genre is my fav, but it's not as revolutionary as CDPR claimed. I wished they didn't over hype this product, so people are not that disappointed. The reason I do not have such disappointment is because I'm not TW fan and CDPR follower, but I do not blame people out there who mad are at CDPR, and their reasons is justified.

I don't want to be honest here, because my words might be harsh. What I can say is, CDPR need to work more harder than before to reclaimed their player trust. I wish all the best for them.
The only people I blame is management

These are the "junctures" I'm discussing. Consider them story "nodes" rather than "chapters". This is hard to explain, as the lay terminology can easily overlap. (Along with there not being readily accepted terminology for a lot of "choose-your-own-adventure" styles of writing.)

I think you are shifting the goal posts here. I was addressing your position of there being no central pillar to the story - there is very much a central story pillar. You can navigate (or assemble) that pillar in many ways, personalising the resulting experience considerably - but there are unescapable elements that lead you through the main story to an ending (many of which directly warn of bad things coming for you).

I agree that they did this well, and that's just looking at the main story. They did an amazing job when you start weaving in some of the optional elements and seeing how deeply through the game they have woven the themes of the story.

I'm also confused about the perception of the endings. The genre has exactly these sorts of endings all over the place. I suspect the problem is one of expectation built by typical game endings - the protagonist triumphs and asserts their truth. While CP only (at best) allows V limited success.

They could have done an Early Release for CP - "Watson Lockdown".
Just need to move the Dex thing, you could do some missions for Regina and build Street Cred so it is more plausible that Dex would tap you for the gig and explore Watson (and maybe Wakako could remember how to pay you for a gig over the phone after saving Sandra).
You are definitely misrepresenting the main story in your diagram - at a minimum because you are missing the Judy component.

This might seem counter to my argument above that there is a central story, but there being a central pillar the story is built around is not the same as a linear progression through the story. The central pillar is built on certain blocks, some of which you can organise in your own way to build a personalised experience of the central pillar.

I wonder how much of the problem is people not exploring the story much - digging through some of the "optional" conversation points reveals more and can have a significant impact on the progress of the story. There are many points were choosing to wait has significant impacts on what you learn about the story and how the story unfolds. The game doesn't use the same approach to a "best" outcome or even "different" outcome consistently either - so you do need to explore the options and see what happens.

I'd love to know what you need to do to get that 100% badge, because there are so many layers and options that I don't see how you could actually 100% the game without multiple play throughs (I mean save or don't save Takemura? Those change things, doing the Arasaka ending 2x without changing Takemura and Oda's fate doesn't seem like its even 100% that ending...)

I think you are shifting the goal posts here. I was addressing your position of there being no central pillar to the story - there is very much a central story pillar. You can navigate (or assemble) that pillar in many ways, personalising the resulting experience considerably - but there are unescapable elements that lead you through the main story to an ending (many of which directly warn of bad things coming for you).

I agree that they did this well, and that's just looking at the main story. They did an amazing job when you start weaving in some of the optional elements and seeing how deeply through the game they have woven the themes of the story.

I'm also confused about the perception of the endings. The genre has exactly these sorts of endings all over the place. I suspect the problem is one of expectation built by typical game endings - the protagonist triumphs and asserts their truth. While CP only (at best) allows V limited success.

Just need to move the Dex thing, you could do some missions for Regina and build Street Cred so it is more plausible that Dex would tap you for the gig and explore Watson (and maybe Wakako could remember how to pay you for a gig over the phone after saving Sandra).

You are definitely misrepresenting the main story in your diagram - at a minimum because you are missing the Judy component.

This might seem counter to my argument above that there is a central story, but there being a central pillar the story is built around is not the same as a linear progression through the story. The central pillar is built on certain blocks, some of which you can organise in your own way to build a personalised experience of the central pillar.

I wonder how much of the problem is people not exploring the story much - digging through some of the "optional" conversation points reveals more and can have a significant impact on the progress of the story. There are many points were choosing to wait has significant impacts on what you learn about the story and how the story unfolds. The game doesn't use the same approach to a "best" outcome or even "different" outcome consistently either - so you do need to explore the options and see what happens.

I'd love to know what you need to do to get that 100% badge, because there are so many layers and options that I don't see how you could actually 100% the game without multiple play throughs (I mean save or don't save Takemura? Those change things, doing the Arasaka ending 2x without changing Takemura and Oda's fate doesn't seem like its even 100% that ending...)
How does Judy affect the main story? That clearly says main quest.

You meet Judy, you help here rescuing Evelyn and overtaking the Clouds or not (don't lose time exploring the two options: it doesn't change the slightest thing) and you dive with her to have a glimpse of her past.

Voila :)

even if you win, you lose because gamers never do appreciate the work and time that goes into making these things. Game design is hard, its not easy by the slightest, its even harder to be successful at it. Making a game that can appeal to a large target audience in order to cash in is a science and a gamble. We don't see the long hours in the offices. The thousands of lines of code they write. The hundreds of art that gets discarded. The months composing a song, the days making those unique sound effects. The 1000's of pages of story and script work. The stress and anxiety people suffer. The trouble at home with family, the isolation of your friends. All in the span of 3 or more years.

We don't appreciate this because we don't see it, we only see the game and we are selfish. We only want the product and could care less how we get it as long as we do and we get it fast.
I'm sorry, no. Many hundreds of people worked on the Cats movie CGI. This hard work does not excuse the movie being a failure. And you are talking to a professional cinematographer. I've edited, I've doing VFX in several commercials and small movies. No one's gonna care about me. Why should they? They don't know me. What matters, did the final product suck or not. Mark Hamill has done voice work in a HORRIBLE CGI movie about dinosaurs and people getting stranded on an island. That movie doesn't get a 10 for just having Mark Hamill.

This game was a failure. It was a creative failure, and it ruined the previously untouchable reputation of the company that made it.
Sure it sold a lot of copies and wasn't a financial failure, but that's mostly due to the reputation the company earned for TW3. The sales (through the massive amount of pre-orders) was not through the merits of this game, but was the monetization of the reputation capital the company earned for TW3.
CDPR's preorders on the next big game they release will be the barometer for the true financial consequences of this game, and I have a feeling it will be judged to be a failure on that front too. Unless CDPR seriously reverses course, fix all the problems with the game, and repair the damage to their reputation.
I doubt this will happen though, I simply have no faith in publicly traded companies to turn things around. Because none of the people who work there truly care about the reputation of the company, it's just a job and everyone can get a job at a different company. NMS can turn it around because they are a private company.

You can navigate (or assemble) that pillar in many ways...but there are unescapable elements that lead you through the main story to an ending...

The goal posts have not moved, I assure you. The above statement is exactly the crux of it. Something is either linear...or it is not. Something is either specifically paced with a detailed, focused narrative arc and an ultimate resolution (which is already established before the audience gets to see it)...or it is not.

The main trunk of TW3 is extremely defined. This is where most of the character development and tension-building comes from. Despite several key moments where the player gets to flavor it, the narrative structure of the main story arc will remain universal from playthrough to playthrough.

This is not the case for Cyberpunk. There is no main story structure -- only the central idea of "what to do about the chip"..."who do we choose to engage with and why"...and "what is the ultimate resolution of our choices." These are not elements of a defined arc; these are considerations that result in multiple, exclusive arcs that only cross paths at key junctions or nodes. This is nothing like trying to create a standard narrative arc.

What normally happens in games is one of the following systems:

1.) The story is a linear trunk, from beginning to end. Only the main trunk. You choose how you fight in combat, and that's the long and the short of any "RPG" elements. (Shooters, Souls-like games, games like the FarCry or Assassin's Creed series [The earlier ones at least. I've only played up to FC5 and Brotherhood], etc.)

2.) The story is a linear trunk with optional side content that connects directly back into the linear arc of the main story. The story arc will always be the same, linear sequence of "chapters", though it may be possible to flavor the game by altering the outcome of each "chapter". (Dragon Age / Mass Effect, Bethesda titles, and TW3.)

3.) The game is a "choose your own adventure", in which you can actually alter how the story plays out. There is not central narrative trunk -- only a central theme and conflict. Choices made by the player will not only result in various outcomes, but also various pathways through the game itself. The narrative itself will shift to match the choice / consequence of the player's decisions. (Detroit: Become Human, Life is Strange, etc._) Though, I'll readily admit the distinction for this is blurred, since so many of these games often present the illusion of choice but present foregone, linear conclusions. The weaker canditates here though normally have only one or two conclusions...not six.

CP2077 falls squarely in category 3, imo. (On top of adding in detailed RPG mechanics and open-world mechanics, regardless of how effectively players may feel it all worked). And creating this type of narritive is absolutely not the same as creating a linear arc. Here's an example of a simple, three-step scenario according to 1, 2, or 3:

I. Player gets a tip to search for information.
II. Player searches for the information.
III. Player receives an outcome based on their actions.

1.) I. The game tells the player they need to secure XYZ info.
II. Player plays a few combat scenerios in a sequential design.
III. At the end of the sequence, a cutscene presents the foregone information, and the story arc moves forward along the established narritive. The player is largely victorious if they survive. (Results: Pacing can be specifically managed. Feels like the normal Call of Duty or JRPG setup. Very cinematic, telling a set story.)

2.) I. The game tells the player to find the info.
II. Player has a few key, main-story missions that will lead them to the foregone holder of the information. There are several, optional side-missions that may give the player an additional dialogue option or allow them to circumvent one of the linear missions.
III. They will always arrive at the foregone NPC and will always receive the information needed to move the main story forward. (Some adventurous games, like TW3, or Dragon Age may have a few key junctures in structures such as this, but it will not alter the narrative arc. The events will always play out in the same order, and the player will always have to deal with the sequence in the same order. Side content doesn't alter the structure of the main arc.)

3.) I. Player is told they need the info.
II. There is no one way to get it. There are multiple:
  • IIa. They might go visit NPC A, the enemy of NPC B.
    • IIa1. They might not be able to get to NPC A...because they killed them in an earlier part of the game. If NPC A is dead, getting to NPC B will happen a totally different way. If NPC A is alive when the player gets to NPC B, NPC B will refuse to help until the player engages on a series of quests to earn their trust.
      • IIa2. The player succeeds in the quest and gains the trust of NPC B. Further pathways / quests open for the future.
      • IIa3. The player may fail the quest, resulting in NPC B remaining an enemy. Those pathways / quests are now locked for that playthrough.
  • IIb. They might go visit NPC B, enemy of NPC A.
    • IIb1. (The reverse scenario of the above, but for NPC B.)
      • IIb2. (...vice versa...)
      • IIb3. (...vice versa...)
  • IIc. The player may opt out of either NPC's quests to just find the info on their own. And -- they may not get it. It's not a foregone conclusion that the player will find that info.
    • IIc1. There needs to be a scenario for the player getting the info while both NPC A and NPC B are still alive.
    • IIc2. There needs to be a different scenario for the player getting the info while NPC A is alive, but NPC B is dead.
    • IIc3. Different scenario if NPC B is alive, but NPC A is dead.
    • IIc4. Different scenario if both NPC A and B are dead.
III. The story must now account for any possible combination of the above results and have a way forward in the game to reach one of several possible conclusions...including scenarios for the player shifting gears mid mission from / to either IIa., IIb., or IIc..

^ And that's just one scenario. A game like CP2077 is a whole bunch of these stung together...then every scenario was flippin' acted out and filmed with live-action, bloody video capture. I don't think that it's immediately obvious just how much work needs to go into a system like this, nor that all of the branches will be immediately apparent.

And now, how do we build the narrative? We can't, because there's not just one arc. Here for example, there are six...with more than one path to reach any one ultimate conclusion. The way CP2077 works in some places -- I might never even see the above scenario at all, but still reach an endgame conclusion.

...(many of which directly warn of bad things coming for you).
While CP only (at best) allows V limited success.

Which I would argue is just the studio's decision to go with an overall tragedy as their storytelling approach. That's just a matter of whether people like tragedies vs. comedies (in the dramatic sense of the words). Different point altogether.

They could have!

But here's a simple reality of any creative work: people don't like to share their work until it's done. So, very often, people will get only the slightest glimpses at the work itself during production...or the studio will cobble something together for a demo close to what's envisioned for the final result...or the studio will create totally separate demo content meant specifically not to reveal what the actual game's story will be like. (We don't know what the actual case was with CP2077, but I'd imagine a bit of all of that.)

Myself, I think the best way to do demos is to build something like a prologue / prequel to the action of the main game. Get a feel for the mechanics, establish some lore, introduce a few key characters, etc. But nothing that would be considered a "spoiler" for the actual game's narrative itself.

TL; DR :
---- Yeah, right! :p Sorry -- long day, and the conversation is fun!

Last edited:
I am not a developer, programmist, or anything like that.

But think about it logically. With the Witcher 3, CDPR had lots of experience. The Witcher 1 and 2 are games with lots of flaws (especially 2, with its clunky inventory, broken minimap etc.) but they provided them experience for the Witcher 3. They knew (more or less) what to do and what not to do, because all the Witcher games share the same setting: a medieval fantasy with lots of combat, intense story, and lore.

This is not the case with Cyberpunk 2077. The game is their first title set in a futuristic setting with guns, cars, skyscrapers. They even changed the camera perspective.

They simply didn't have enough experience with that kind of game, and they failed.

Firstly, it hasn't 'failed'. It's a good game. There were some launch problems, and probably CD Projekt would have been better not to launch at all for old-gen consoles, just gone with new-gen and PC. Games of this complexity are enormously difficult to fully debug; some hotfixes are normal, although it is true that it wasn't slick on day one.

But you're kind of missing the point with The Witcher III. Cyberpunk is The Witcher III, or, rather, it's a very sophisticated DLC for it. The cars in Cyberpunk are very obviously based on the boats in The Witcher III (why they adapted the boats and not the horses I don't know, but <shrug/>). The melee weapons are the same. The ranged weapons are pretty much the same. The signposts are the same. Dammit, you even have the Swallow, Thunderbolt and Killer Whale potions, and probably some others I haven't yet recognised.

There's really very little new technology in Cyberpunk. The only significant thing that's new is the first person viewpoint, and I'm not really persuaded that's an improvement. Everything else is just reskinning.

It's not a bad thing that this game just uses the old Witcher III code; we know it works and that good games can be built with it. What CD Projekt does is tell stories. The Witcher series worked because the team really knew and were fans of the source material. I believe that, with a bit of shakedown, Cyberpunk will be successful for the same reason.
Post automatically merged:

Whatever the modders add isn't anything that CDPR can claim for the game unless CDPR adds it themselves.
No, that isn't wholly fair.

CD Projekt provide the architecture and will I hope provide the tools which enable the modders to add to the game (to add real story we need RedKit, and the public release of RedKit hasn't been updated since The Witcher 2). So yes, what we can build depends to a huge extent on the framework and tools that CD Projekt give us, and if the modding community can help to make this into a truly excellent game it will be partly down to those tools.
Post automatically merged:

The main trunk of TW3 is extremely defined. This is where most of the character development and tension-building comes from. Despite several key moments where the player gets to flavor it, the narrative structure of the main story arc will remain universal from playthrough to playthrough.

2.) The story is a linear trunk with optional side content that connects directly back into the linear arc of the main story. The story arc will always be the same, linear sequence of "chapters", though it may be possible to flavor the game by altering the outcome of each "chapter". (Dragon Age / Mass Effect, Bethesda titles, and TW3.)

This isn't really fair to The Witcher III. Disregarding 'failure' endings, it makes a massive difference to the world whether or not Redania or Nilfgard win the war, or alternatively whether the Temerian resistance are successful. It makes a massive difference whether or not Ciri becomes Empress of Nilfgard. Geopolitically there are several major endings, and, if you lived in that world, you would have very sharp feelings about the relative merits of them. That doesn't, of course, make a great difference to Geralt's, or Ciri's story arc, but even focussing in on that story, the difference for their relationship between Ciri as a Witcher on the path, sometimes a companion to Geralt, sometimes apart but always working within his tradition, and Ciri as Empress of an empire riven by internal politics and turmoil, is enormous.

The Witcher III has a branching main narrative. The real major narrative choices for the player are few, and limited, but they do have big moral consequences. In this regard I think (and I haven't yet played Cyberpunk enough to be sure of this) that the differences the player can make to the story are much more consequential to the world in The Witcher III than they are in Cyberpunk. My understanding is that in Cyberpunk, the player can change the outcome of the story for their friends, but not make significant change to the overall history of the world.

Last edited:
The goal posts have not moved, I assure you. The above statement is exactly the crux of it. Something is either linear...or it is not. Something is either specifically paced with a detailed, focused narrative arc and an ultimate resolution (which is already established before the audience gets to see it)...or it is not.
I think the issue is you are equating linear and trunk and I am not. :)

Otherwise we agree. (Also I haven't played a Witcher game, so the comparisons don't work for me - last single player game I played was Neverwinter 2 when it was released...)

For me the order of "talk to Rogue" or "talk to Judy" after "talk in Tom's Diner" isn't important to the narrative trunk of the story. This is because the order you do them in doesn't change things and both are mandatory and reveal the core of the narrative and give clues as to the endings being tragic (in the dramatic sense).

There is however a vast amount of stuff connected to that trunk, if the game didn't force you to climb it (to a degree), it would be very easy to not even find that trunk and it is very easy to miss a lot of the things connected to the trunk as well. Calling on my experience in other game communities - I suspect there is a lot of skipping through things and getting to the Point of No Return and then cycling the endings and calling it done. That skipping, especially in apparently irrelevant side quests, makes it very easy to miss a lot of information about the main quest. (Hell it is easy to miss a lot without skipping, because of the sheer number of layers to things.)

My understanding is that in Cyberpunk, the player can change the outcome of the story for their friends, but not make significant change to the overall history of the world.

This is definitely not true. CP2077 only focusses on the meaning of the ending for V, but there is evidence in the game ending(s) of what happens to the world depending on V's choices.

Top Bottom