Netrunning and You.

+
Netrunning and You.

THE NET.

The "consensual hallucination" the defines SO MUCH of the Cyberpunk genre. An information space you don't just read or watch or listen to on your monitor, phone, deck or cybereye, but one in which you inject your electronic self to wander around and absorb.
It can excite, repel, scare and, yes, even kill you. It is the environment that sets cyberpunk aside from other fiction environments. It is probably our very-real future.

WHAT would you like to see CDPR do with this part of the game? How would you like to interact with it?

How deep down that hole would you chase the rabbit? Do you see yourself battling enemy software that is trying to melt your brain and fry your home? Do you envision cruising silently beneath the might glaciers of military-class AI, praying you are unnoticed?

Do you giggle at the thought of emptying bank accounts and corporate black ops files, to sell for stupidly more money than your Solo or Nomad brethren could ever imagine?

What do you hope to see when you jack your character in, come 2015?

I wanna see varying levels of render, from simple vector graphics / wireframe (or polygons with clear / transparent colors), all the way up to realistic renders. Emphasis on the former, though.

Movement in the Net should be similar to moving in Realspace; they could probabaly even map the same controls, except in place of "sprint" or "run", your movement speed would increase dramatically, from Point A to Point B. Goes without saying that, unless there's a barrier preventing movement, you should be able to "fly" in Netspace.

Your own warez should either be hotkeyed to similar Realspace actions, and/or available from a fly-in menu. If a nasty Daemon is bearing down on you, you need to be able to deal with it quickly, instead of getting hosed while you're searching through a menu for what to use in defense.

Love the idea of different render levels 'Club Retro' being 8-bit would be just immense... But I think that for Netrunning to work as it should, its really going to be down to the creativity of people outside of CDPR and the modding tools and resource they're provided with, with the VR nature of Netrunning being 'anything' goes, it needs to be flexible enough to support that. Program Crafting would be good, upgrade slots on the cyber deck etc.

Also good visualisations of intrusion and detection programs etc

I remember reading the rulebook of CP2020 for the first
time back in 93 right now when I was a kid...
It was my first rpg book andI was hooked from
page one. I liked the setting , the scenarios,
the simplistic approach to the rules and the characters.
But what I liked the most, was how cyberspace was broken down,
especially the part where the rules for creating your programs
depending on the levels of complexity where explained.
It was honestly an inspiring experience. My dad had just bought
his first modem for his pc and I knew that cyberspace wasn´t
just a fictional idea, I knew it´s only the next logical
evolutionary step.

Now, 20 years later, the net only seems to be
seconds away from what I imagened to be the Cyberspace.
A second reality. Infinite, full of possibilities and
sometimes dangerous too.

A short while after reading it, I bought the Ghost in the
Shell comics and somehow "brainhacking" made total sense to me.

I don´t know exactly if the govenrments are yet
able to build brain interfaces, or "man machine interfaces",but
being a true conspiracy theorist, I would guess they already
got there in the 90´s. I believe that today, it´s possible
for the CIA, NSA etc. to hack into any PC with ease,
without even being physically conected to the web. There´s going
to be 200.000 core cpus in some years available on the free
market, so it´s not hard to imagine that the governments with
their black projects are even much further advancend to this
moment while I´m typing this. I´m not paranoid, it´s probably
the truth.

"Simulating" the "NET" of the year 2077 for a computergame?

Well...God-like coding skills, anyone?

I think a lot of people don´t want the Cyberspace to be just
handled like a minigame, cause that would suck.

Hey, Why don´t implement that occulus Rift thingy exclusively
for that ? I mean, that would make total sense, you
virtually play living in cyerspace :)

Another thing: as in most all Cyberpunk canon, if you're "in the face", your meatware body should be susceptible to whatever is going on around you (ie, don't decide to jack in, if you're not in cover and you're getting shot at.)

You shouldn't be able to see what's going on in Realspace, unless you've bought the cyber implant that provides a "picture in picture" window, so you can see what's going on with the meatware while you're in the Net.

That's a Deck option, yep. And there is a chip, iirc, that does basic upkeep on yoru body while online. Expensive, though. It can get you to cover, alert you, that kind of thing. I'll see if I can find it in one of the Chrome books, unless Wisdom or someone else has it on hand.

I would say that the render quality, ranging from abstract symbols and nurbs to high-end hyper-realistic graphics, should depend on the quality of your deck and softs. you can't have a detailed landscape with a baby deck and outdated warez...if you want more than a a polygon wiregrid, then you need the right graphic drivers, rendering capacity, 3D acceleration chip and the viewer program with compatible user interface.....and getting to the level of seeing the discoloration of that data fortresses brick wall, you need the skills to make the softs and deck yourself, because nobody will sell them to you....

I personally hope that things related to cyberspace / hacking / virtual reality are not going to be some simple minigame gimmick like in the majority of games; in cyberpunk it should be a substantial part of gameplay. Something similar to cyberpsace in Shadowrun (sega's version) or Bloodnet - not just a 30-sec minigame or a skill check.

I want to see the net as a wire frame representation of the city itself, with locations representing their realspace icons... Or their IP's if you will.

Their should also obviously be locations that show up in the Net that don't readily show up in meatspeace, perhaps conealed, or underground.... like a node out in the desert, or in the bay.

would real like to see the multi-level, world grid, region grid, city grid. Definitely have the ldls.Tracing and all the fun fallout from it. Doing a run and getting taked offline cuz the cops are throwing you in cuff or the security team waking you just so you can see the bullet do you in..

would real like to see the multi-level, world grid, region grid, city grid.
...Gadzooks. It's gonna drive me nuts, now; there's some sci-fi film I've seen, that gave a graphic representation like this. The user travelled through different "gates" to get broader or tighter overviews of a particular grid-level.

And, of course, I can't remember what film it was... >_<

as long as it requires cleaver thinking they can construct it in whatever way they want.

Haha. Entertaining typo. =D

same difference; some people have sharper minds then others.
(not to say that there aren't meat-popsicles out there but well.. to each their own.)

and I also think that Info obtained should be like a currency.
you know?
like, "I wonder how much some junkie would pay to get the pass-code to the pharmacy locker.."
like come on, dude needs his middle man every once and a while.
might as well be me, he gets the code and the stuff, I get the money, I tip off the cops, everyone a winner, except that guy.

and I also think that Info obtained should be like a currency.
you know?
like, "I wonder how much some junkie would pay to get the pass-code to the pharmacy locker.."
like come on, dude needs his middle man every once and a while.
might as well be me, he gets the code and the stuff, I get the money, I tip off the cops, everyone a winner, except that guy.

As Malcom Reynolds said: 90% of the world is middlemen. If you start cutting them out, you'll be pissing a lot of folk.

On a different note, I wonder if the netrunners will be allowed to have their own data fortress and if they will be allowed to customize it like their meatspace home. Reason to have a data fortress? limited capacity on the deck to store data.

THE NET.

The "consensual hallucination" the defines SO MUCH of the Cyberpunk genre. An information space you don't just read or watch or listen to on your monitor, phone, deck or cybereye, but one in which you inject your electronic self to wander around and absorb.
It can excite, repel, scare and, yes, even kill you. It is the environment that sets cyberpunk aside from other fiction environments. It is probably our very-real future.

WHAT would you like to see CDPR do with this part of the game? How would you like to interact with it?

How deep down that hole would you chase the rabbit? Do you see yourself battling enemy software that is trying to melt your brain and fry your home? Do you envision cruising silently beneath the might glaciers of military-class AI, praying you are unnoticed?

Do you giggle at the thought of emptying bank accounts and corporate black ops files, to sell for stupidly more money than your Solo or Nomad brethren could ever imagine?

What do you hope to see when you jack your character in, come 2015?

Netrunning definately needs to put the character into a virtual world.
Perhaps something like TRON, it's doesn't need to be overly elaborate (for which the Art Director and penny-pinching budget folks will bless you).
I definately see a "need" to battle enemy software IF you can't avoid it. But avoidence is the best option - it's doesn't leave traces the Corp/Cops should be tracking down. Yes, a Netrun can and should have the potential of generating a "real world" response if you blow it.
Unfortunately you really can't allow characters to empty bank accounts or access black op files (at least not till VERY late in the game) because of the side effects such as effectively unlimited character wealth.

Another thing: as in most all Cyberpunk canon, if you're "in the face", your meatware body should be susceptible to whatever is going on around you (ie, don't decide to jack in, if you're not in cover and you're getting shot at.)

You shouldn't be able to see what's going on in Realspace, unless you've bought the cyber implant that provides a "picture in picture" window, so you can see what's going on with the meatware while you're in the Net.

See this is where I want to draw my line. While I am all for a fully emersive net that I can spends hours on while my meatbag begs for food and water. I want an augmented option as well. The Wireless word is a reality in the now and I want to be able to walk down the street while doing my light work have email and social media pop up on my HUD that is in my glasses or eyes depending on the outfit I am wearing. I want to be able to have that intermediate without having to use something as out dated as picture and picture.

See this is where I want to draw my line. While I am all for a fully emersive net that I can spends hours on while my meatbag begs for food and water. I want an augmented option as well. The Wireless word is a reality in the now and I want to be able to walk down the street while doing my light work have email and social media pop up on my HUD that is in my glasses or eyes depending on the outfit I am wearing. I want to be able to have that intermediate without having to use something as out dated as picture and picture.

Times square marquee cyberoptic option. You cant netrun with it but it does all you have asked for.

Top Bottom