New interview with creators!

+
Nice. Everything they say, almost everything is what I would want in my dream game. Fucking hell give me a time machine.

No saving the world - check
Factions - check
Politics and real world issues - check
Character appearance and customization affects the story - check
Open world, do what you want - check
Player skill defines gameplay - check
Driving...maybe?

Man these guys are going to resurrect Cyberpunk.

Nice. Everything they say, almost everything is what I would want in my dream game. Fucking hell give me a time machine.

Thanks for that post, it made me brace for things I'd dislike, which did happen. There was nice stuff in there too, but there was sad. Looks like a fixer with no gun skill is going to be the OP role then methinks...

Thanks for that post, it made me brace for things I'd dislike, which did happen. There was nice stuff in there too, but there was sad. Looks like a fixer with no gun skill is going to be the OP role then methinks...

I have a feeling they are going to do their best to make every role type and player approach viable.

The point is to make player choice paramount, so full frontal combat won't always be the answer. That's my take.

The point is to make player choice paramount, so full frontal combat won't always be the answer. That's my take.

I took that from it as well.

I was also very interested by the explanation about why they chose '77 for the timeline. No 'retro' cyberpunk for us, but we instead get something that is intended to feel the same as 2020 did back in the 90's...

Heh. We should start a betting pool on whether Wisdom is happy/worried by this interview.

Unless I've missed something, everything would be good news for him. Good news for everybody really since they show a sincerity for the subject. For them, games are like any other medium, not just GAMEZ.

Unless I've missed something, everything would be good news for him. Good news for everybody really since they show a sincerity for the subject. For them, games are like any other medium, not just GAMEZ.

It's Wisdom. Unless they specifically came out and said 'We are basing the game on Nomads...' he would find something to worry about.

Can we just stop talking about Wisdom, and concentrate on the fact that after a good half year of nothing, there's finally something NEW about CP2077? :D

And it's a video interview. Wonderful. Now I will sleep ten times better.

Can we just stop talking about Wisdom, and concentrate on the fact that after a good half year of nothing, there's finally something NEW about CP2077? :D

And it's a video interview. Wonderful. Now I will sleep ten times better.

Well there is that. I was really suprised at the amount of 'straight answers' CDPR provided. There was a lot of concrete stuff.

Great interview with solid answers all around. I'm glad to hear that character customization isn't just something to make your guy look pretty. Having it effect the narrative changes the entire dynamic of the game.

Iiiit really must suck to be people who have not played Witcher 1 and 2. GO DO THAT NAOW.

Okay, it -is- nice to have news, since it gives us something to chatter about without getting yelled at by the Topic Cops. So, good.

But I would hope that anyone who has played W1 and 2 would not be worried about the game. This isn't a religious thing - CDPR makes good games and there is no reason to think they've suddenly stopped.

So I think of this as delicious foreplay to what will be a memorable mating event. With my brain-parts. Yes.

My only real sad part was when they said that gun skill won't matter, but game skill will. So unless Combat Sense is seriously embiggening, it's Fixer-with-a-gun. Streetdeal to get you cheap, otherwise restricted deathcannons, and one's own skill to use them... Unless they have a mechanic in place to deal with that, that'll be your combat and your social stuff all wrapped up neatly in one playthrough.

Damn, I do so prefer multiple playthroughs to be more than "Now play X class to get Y conversation option"... You know, like having to play the game differently. But with their focus on lots of violence and combat, and all roles equally able with firearms, this makes pacifist/social playthroughs non-viable. Which always begs the question "How do people who aren't player characters survive for long enough to have children in this world?"

Still, at least it's one bigass future city, so I'm not left wondering how these peasant farmers survive the winter when there are respawning monsters between themselves and their fields...

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE:

I have scribed what they done say. Said. Say-ed. Pretty accurately, I think. WE MAY USE THIS AS AMMUNITION FOR FUTURE FIGHTS. See if you can find the line that worries me the most. YES EVEN WITH MY FAITH.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antoni Strzalkowski: Producer

Rafal Praszczalek: Writer ( I want to be this man. Dragon. Obtain his location for me. for..SCIENCE.)

RP: "Trying to do retro game in the style of 2020, it would be outdated today and not the best of cyberpunk we can get. When the original RPG came out, it was very fresh. It was the future, we couldn't verify. Would the high-tech develop that way or the other, we couldn't see. Now we see that not all predictions came true. That's the reason we are pushing it into the future, to have the same vibe the same feeling that we are in the same future, that it's high tech, but it's not sci-fi."

"It's still about technology, it's still about people dealing in the dangerous world. We want to have the same vibe we got when playing the original game."

"We don't want to make game only about cyberpsychosis or technology. We present those questions, they are important stuff, really making what cyberpunk is and why it was and is exciting, questions abotu technology, these are questions we are asking today."

AS: "Combat is obviously very important in our game, but it's not the only mechanic that's that important. We certainly want to avoid the situation where your combat capabilities is that much dependent on the stats. It's about your own skill."

'We have open world game. There will be many factions, many different situations you will find yourself in. There will definitely be combat and Night City Firefights there."

"We want to tell the story by the open world, the vastness of it, the possibilities. We want the player to find himself in the vast vast world with tons of possibilities."

RP: "Night City is out there it's yours to explore. If you don't want to follow the main storyline, the game still loads for you. If you want to jump out of the storyline train, you can do whatever you want. We don't want to block player in the street with the piles of cars, so he can't turn left, where there's nothing after that."

"We're populated by technology, it's everywhere. Even in this room, everyone has an iphone or smartphone, we're variously connected. It's a challenge. For me as a writer, the thing that I care the most are the emotions between the characters. This means of how technology will affect it, the relationship between the social groups. Technology is changing us, or are we just looking for something to blame?"

Antoni Strzalkowski: 'We want to give players as many tools to express themselves by creating their character. Be it on customization visually or due to the mechanics. We want to give players as many tools as we can."

On character customization: "It will be important mechanic, gameplay-wise, it will be very tightly integrated into the story."
Q: So the choices you make in the character creator will be reflected back in the story?
AS: "Yes"

On social and political issues being integrated into the game as the literary Cpunk did:

Rafal Praszczalek: "As a background, yes. As a part of the world where the story is taking place, for sure. We want to keep the story on the low level. We don't feel cyberpunk should be about saving humanity, about winning the global conflict, about saving the earth. And each of big issues is easy to lure us into building story like this. But yeah, we feel that what you said, about cyberpunk covering these [social] issues like this, is important and should be presented in our game."

"For me I feel that cyberpunk is still not explored, that there are stuff really canonical, like Gibson, like Deus Ex but it's not all. It's like with the Westerns, at some point there was this wave of revisionist Westerns, in the 70s. And then everyone thought, alright, we're done with this genre, right? And then, a couple of years later, there was Unforgiven and people started to think, well maybe we should do serious Westerns and see what was really exciting about it and it's still going on. So I think there's a future for cyberpunk as a genre but not as a way of probably predicting the newest future because we are not living in this world. "

"The Cyberpunk is a mirror, is excellent fantasy for what we would like to be, that we would like to matter in the world full of big evil greedy corporations that they are populated with characters like Patrick Bateman. Only with implants. Yeah, that the latest thing I can put inside my head will change it, will save the world. Yeah, it's a bit naive, a bit romantic but it really speaks to me and I feel that people jump into it and have fun."

Unknown Fellow With Glasses: Long speech about Cyberpunk setting and parameters being realistic and what that means in terms of immediacy and relevance to him. Also a Donkey Kong Reference. Not sure why this was in. Is he a dev or something that I missed? TELL ME.
Anyway, then this last:

Q: "Are you saying ( seeing?) yourselves, "You know, you know we're going to reinvent Cyberpunk for the Cyberpunk Generation?""

Rafal Praszczalek: "[That?] would be a very bold statement."

DID NOT DENY.

Rafal Praszczalek: Writer ( I want to be this man. Dragon. Obtain his location for me. for..SCIENCE.)

I'm guessing Warsaw. And no, you can't be him. Because talent.
And thank you so much for the transcript. Why do I always hear transcripts in a really, really attractive Polish accent? (Oh, by the way, that's another reason you can't be him)

Top Bottom