Next patch rampant speculations

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Daniel_Gasser, I’ve tested the game on OG Xbox One, One X, Series X and the problems you’re having are prevalent on the OG XOne as well. The hardware seems to have a difficult time catching up with the game, but an SSD hard drive ironed out these issues, like the phone call lines not synching and odd laggy enemy response times, it’ll also speed up loading. It’s hard to imagine cdpr will be able to get rid of these problems given that inherently it’s the problem with those consoles themselves, though I guess it isn’t impossible if they cut even more corners to those versions of the game.
I'll give it a try!

Fair enough, then I think a re-release version will come in the shape of a GOTY edition which includes both expansions, just like Witcher 3.
I don't know anything for sure, but I'd say that's exactly what's happening down the line. The original concept was to handle CP2077 like TW3 was handled. Release the base game, release free DLC, release paid expansions. I don't see any reasons why they wouldn't release a "complete edition". (Which would very much be a re-release of the game. ;) )

Yeah, that's definitely going to happen. It appears many people nowadays think Witcher 3 excelled at all fronts while in actual fact the skill system is still broken, but contrary to Cyberpunk 2077 no one bats an eye.
Yeah, absolutely. I mean, nearly flawless games have happened, but none of them have ever been sweepingly huge RPGs. (And again, for many people that will claim this or that huge RPG has no bugs at all! No. They have no bugs that you or I may have encountered, but one quick stop to any RPG forum or Discord will show us the hundreds upon thousands of bugs that still exist.)

And people batted many, many eyes at the things that went glitchy with TW3. There are still many an eye batted to this day. (The Wolf Chest bug probably being one of the most notable.) Trouble is, there are some bugs for which the source of the issue cannot be found. Therefore, it cannot be fixed. For others, the source can be found, but it results in a catch-22. Fixing it would break something much more important and cause a slew of additional issues, but the only way to avoid that is not to touch the bug. At that point, if a workaround cannot be found...the bug is there. Forever.

That's because CDPR does not want to commit to anything. Maybe there are still a bunch of issues after 1.5 and next-gen, this could lead to the expansions being pushed to 2023. Maybe everything is fine afterwards, then the first one might drop in 2022. Furthermore, they haven't officially announced the expansions yet, which is also something that probably happens before the roadmap is adjusted accordingly. If they put 2023 on the roadmap for the expansions, just to be on the safer side, there would be media and gamer outrage again....
Yeah, no disagreement there. I'm strongly of the opinion they should remain near completely silent. Perhaps, though I don't favor the thought, even let people think this game is thoroughly dead and the resurrect it - If they're going to do a proper job. IF. At the most they should only update people with "Yes, we're still working on it. It's not over. *fart*"
Sure, consumers have long-term memory issues. But please do not confuse those people with people like me who actually enjoy the game and will buy the expansions and the next game that CDPR releases without a second thought. (If it is roughly in the area of games I like.)
Without a second thought? Would you mind explaining how this is any different from lacking forethought and memory? They hid PC footage from the public, they hid the console ports entirely. At least do yourself some respect and wait for any expansion/sequel material to release. I do find enjoyment at times with this game. I am simply a very critical person. Any game can get it and will get it from me. When a game makes this strong of an appeal to my sensibilities, when a game is hyped to this degree(nothing in the last decade compares...possibly ever honestly. Not even Halo 2 went this far.), it has been made into all that more a target for my prying intellect.

Last edited:
Without a second thought? Would you mind explaining how this is any different from lacking forethought and memory?
I can answer this one for myself, and I'm pretty sure I won't be too far from what @Azulath will respond.

I don't care about "expectations", "hype", and what people "think"...before they've ever held a product in their hands. I judge a final product on its actual merits. I also don't care one whit about what the "status quo" is, or what sort of opinion is "popular" at the moment. I don't spend hours watching YouTube videos or Twitch streams trying to justify my opinions or preferences.

What I do is very simple. I decide, for myself, knowing exactly what I like and dislike, whether I want to play a game or not. Then I play it. Then I decide whether I like it or not. If I like it, I keep playing it. If I dislike it, I stop playing it. I'll often leave feedback either way. I don't ever expect anyone to agree with me. I never expect a single thing to change to suit my preferences. Aaaaaannnd...we're done. That's the whole, entire process from beginning to end.

In practice, there are games that are absolutely niche, ones that most gamers have never played, never even heard of, or actively, passionately dislike...that I adore:
  • Kingoms of Amalur: Reckoning is one. Bought it on release. Terrible execution of the story. Really long-winded and expository. Quests are flat and basic. World design can be downright lackluster and repetitive at times. But -- I loooooove the combat system. And the over-arching storyline is fantastic. Bought the expansions as they came, and leapt on the "Re-Reckoning" remaster as soon as it landed (...despite the utterly cringey title). I'm on my...17th playthrough, now...I think?
  • Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is definitely not the best Battletech/Mechwarrior game ever made, with originally uninspired mission design and a real sense of grind for people that don't already know the mechanics. It also fell really flat with the number of mechs available, compared to especially Mechwarrior Online -- which the same bleeping company produces! And bugs? Oh...the bugs. And you're absolutely joking about not having flightstick/throttle/rudder support native, right -- for a Mechwarrior title!? But the sense of weight and intertia -- the actual feel of the combat -- the crunchy, lovely destruction -- the real benefit of tactics and team-play? I will be playing it for years. See ya there! Or not! Make no difference to me!
  • Rainbow Six: Extraction is the most recent. Lambasted in reviews pretty much everywhere. I am having a smash-up time with it. Very slick shooting. Cool design for the aliens. Some really challenging bits once you start racking up the difficulty. Basically XCOM combat missions handled as an FPS. Don't care what the popinion is. That doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit. And it won't.

Conversely, there are super-popular games that I can't stand:
  • Counterstrike? Seriously? Memorize every map down to the pixels between hubcaps in an attempt to bunny-hop off a crate to snipe someone through a car-tire and get a knee-shot...? No thanks. But everyone else can enjoy!
  • And what the actual bleep is Fortnite? It's just mess of mechanics and graphics that winds up with people spamming the weirdest "building" system I could never have even imagined in an attempt to dodge shotgun blasts and homing rockets fired by a Smurf with a rainbow-confetti jetpack wearing a Boba Fett helmet. Yeah, I'm out. But everyone seems to love it, so have at it!
  • And here's the bomb, maybe. Gwent -- not even close. It's interesting as a concept. Played a bit in TW3 (read: about 10 matches total over almost 6 playthroughs), and I tried to play Thronebreaker for about a day before just switching to the "RPG Mode" to just see what they created for the story (which I loved). But, no, cards and I don't get along. Cards are the most numerically driven, coldly mathematical, dull, lifeless, and utterly boring game concept in existence. Can't stand them, with very few exceptions. And still...everyone else is more than welcome to sink their teeth into it and have a great time!
This is how it actually works, regardless of our personal opinions.

Last edited:
I can answer this one for myself, and I'm pretty sure I won't be too far from what @Azulath will respond.

I don't care about "expectations", "hype", and what people "think"...before they've ever held a product in their hands. I judge a final product on its actual merits. I also don't care one whit about what the "status quo" is, or what sort of opinion is "popular" at the moment. I don't spend hours watching YouTube videos or Twitch streams trying to justify my opinions or preferences.

What I do is very simple. I decide, for myself, knowing exactly what I like and dislike, whether I want to play a game or not. Then I play it. Then I decide whether I like it or not. If I like it, I keep playing it. If I dislike it, I stop playing it. I'll often leave feedback either way. I don't ever expect anyone to agree with me. I never expect a single thing to change to suit my preferences. Aaaaaannnd...we're done. That's the whole, entire process from beginning to end.

In practice, there are games that are absolutely niche, ones that most gamers have never played, never even heard of, or actively, passionately dislike...that I adore:
  • Kingoms of Amalur: Reckoning is one. Bought it on release. Terrible execution of the story. Really long-winded and expository. Quests are flat and basic. World design can be downright lackluster and repetitive at times. But -- I loooooove the combat system. And the over-arching storyline is fantastic. Bought the expansions as they came, and leapt on the "Re-Reckoning" remaster as soon as it landed (...despite the utterly cringey title). I'm on my...17th playthrough, now...I think?
  • Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is definitely not the best Battletech/Mechwarrior game ever made, with originally uninspired mission design and a real sense of grind for people that don't already know the mechanics. It also fell really flat with the number of mechs available, compared to especially Mechwarrior Online -- which the same bleeping company produces! And bugs? Oh...the bugs. And you're absolutely joking about not having flightstick/throttle/rudder support native, right -- for a Mechwarrior title!? But the sense of weight and intertia -- the actual feel of the combat -- the crunchy, lovely destruction -- the real benefit of tactics and team-play? I will be playing it for years. See ya there! Or not! Make no difference to me!
  • Rainbow Six: Extraction is the most recent. Lambasted in reviews pretty much everywhere. I am having a smash-up time with it. Very slick shooting. Cool design for the aliens. Some really challenging bits once you start racking up the difficulty. Basically XCOM combat missions handled as an FPS. Don't care what the popinion is. That doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit. And it won't.

Conversely, there are super-popular games that I can't stand:
  • Counterstrike? Seriously? Memorize every map down to the pixels between hubcaps in an attempt to bunny-hop off a crate to snipe someone through a car-tire and get a knee-shot...? No thanks. But everyone else can enjoy!
  • And what the actual bleep is Fortnite? It's just mess of mechanics and graphics that winds up with people spamming the weirdest "building" system I could never have even imagined in an attempt to dodge shotgun blasts and homing rockets fired by a Smurf with a rainbow-confetti jetpack wearing a Boba Fett helmet. Yeah, I'm out. But everyone seems to love it, so have at it!
  • And here's the bomb, maybe. Gwent -- not even close. It's interesting as a concept. Played a bit in TW3 (read: about 10 matches total over almost 6 playthroughs), and I tried to play Thronebreaker for about a day before just switching to the "RPG Mode" to just see what they created for the story (which I loved). But, no, cards and I don't get along. Cards are the most numerically driven, coldly mathematical, dull, lifeless, and utterly boring game concept in existence. Can't stand them, with very few exceptions. And still...everyone else is more than welcome to sink their teeth into it and have a great time!
This is how it actually works, regardless of our personal opinions.
Alright. I can dig that.

I'm still genuinely curious about what platforms the next gen patch will involve, what specifically it will improve and how it will translate to a more better experience. So... basically anything relevant to the update. Beyond the fact it's called a next gen patch and will supposedly provide next gen consoles the ability to leverage their next gen features. Not that it's very clear what next gen is supposed to mean either. It sure sounds surprisingly good though.

Toss in 1.5 details as an added bonus. It's better to say you're providing two updates at the same time instead of one update. 2 is bigger than 1. It's also rounder.

I guess it's conceivably possible the details for the patch supposedly arriving in Q1 2022 aren't ironed out yet in February of 2022. Perhaps they're working up until the last minute. I don't imagine this leaves a lot of room for testing but time is relative. Avoid the hype creation? All blame here falls on every entity not named CDPR, obviously. Plus, history has shown us the game journos, tubers and content recyclers will substitute the rumor mill in place of the detes anyway. So I don't think this quite fits. Avoid making promises? Development insights aren't promises unless bad decisions lead to preempting them with "I promise". Okay, we got all bases covered.

It's possible I've missed the illuminating clarification. Maybe I should go scour the entire interwebz for 3 hours. Patiently await the social media reveal on the social media account I do not possess. Hmm, heating up a bag of popcorn seems like it could be a reasonable action before embarking on these adventures.

As a disclaimer, all of the above is speculative. Well, except the part about the content recyclers. That part is true. And the genuine curiosity.

P.S. Apologies if this as seen as crossing some invisible line. My enthusiasm for the biggest patch yet has reached critical mass.

I'll give it a try!
Base PS4 player here (well, Slim) - SSD made a huge difference for me, to the point where I wonder if the "old-gen" versions should have included some kind of disclaimer text - SSD recommended or something. It doesn't improve framerate in choppy, busy areas like Downtown, but asset streaming, voice calls, going into the menu and load times saw a massive improvement for me.

it's been so long people have moved on, no dying light/techland type support to be found here

@Daniel_Gasser, I’ve tested the game on OG Xbox One, One X, Series X and the problems you’re having are prevalent on the OG XOne as well. The hardware seems to have a difficult time catching up with the game, but an SSD hard drive ironed out these issues, like the phone call lines not synching and odd laggy enemy response times, it’ll also speed up loading. It’s hard to imagine cdpr will be able to get rid of these problems given that inherently it’s the problem with those consoles themselves, though I guess it isn’t impossible if they cut even more corners to those versions of the game.
This eliminated like 80% of the problems, and made the game playable! Thanks a bunch!

Without a second thought? Would you mind explaining how this is any different from lacking forethought and memory? They hid PC footage from the public, they hid the console ports entirely. At least do yourself some respect and wait for any expansion/sequel material to release. I do find enjoyment at times with this game. I am simply a very critical person. Any game can get it and will get it from me. When a game makes this strong of an appeal to my sensibilities, when a game is hyped to this degree(nothing in the last decade compares...possibly ever honestly. Not even Halo 2 went this far.), it has been made into all that more a target for my prying intellect.
Many things @SigilFey has mentioned resonate with me as well. However, I would also like to add the following bit: There are very few games I profoundly enjoy and hold close to my heart and even fewer companies that make such games. So, unless I am disappointed by studio and I consider for myself that I cannot trust them anymore I put my money where my mouth is and purchase these games as soon as possible and I'll even pre-purchase these games. This is not the wisest decision from a consumer's perspective, because you might end up with a game that disappoints. However, I consider it as in investment so that games I enjoy do have a future.

Furthermore, if Cyberpunk 2077 had been complete garbage and every reviewer had warned against it, I would still have purchased it because I would not have believed them. In this regard, I need to get burned to learn this lesson :LOL: (Happened with Bioware though^^)

What I do is very simple. I decide, for myself, knowing exactly what I like and dislike, whether I want to play a game or not.
One thing I would like to add here: Reviewers often reveal gems I would have missed though. For example, I wasn't interested in Guardians of the Galaxy simply because I'm not a particular fan of the Marvel universe, but I really enjoyed the game.

I'm still genuinely curious about what platforms the next gen patch will involve, what specifically it will improve and how it will translate to a more better experience. So... basically anything relevant to the update. Beyond the fact it's called a next gen patch and will supposedly provide next gen consoles the ability to leverage their next gen features. Not that it's very clear what next gen is supposed to mean either. It sure sounds surprisingly good though.
As to my knowledge, it has been clearly communicted by CDPR that the next-gen upgrade will only by for current-gen consoles and it will better leverage their hardware capabilities (as you have stated). So, think of the current PC version in terms of visual fidelity, but aim a fair bit lower. So, it is safe to assume that RT effects will make their way into the game and that's probably it. If you expect much more you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I guess it's conceivably possible the details for the patch supposedly arriving in Q1 2022 aren't ironed out yet in February of 2022. Perhaps they're working up until the last minute. I don't imagine this leaves a lot of room for testing but time is relative. Avoid the hype creation?
I disagree, I think CDPR knew when Cyberpunk 2077 was released what the next-gen upgrade would entail. Due to platform constraints, some things might have been kicked during the development, but I'm pretty sure they are following their plan. Likewise, I assume next-gen and 1.5 are feature complete and they are spending their time for bug testing. If they plan had been to develop right until the end of Q2, they would have stated that next-gen and 1.5 were delayed until 2022Q2 or just 2022.

The speech gets delayed and ends with several people saying their line at the same time, and all you hear is the end of one characters line. The subtitles works fine, but the speech doesn't. It's no pro, just a base PS4, trying to decide if I should get an Xbox or a playstation as my next console, and want to play in the meantime!

@Daniel_Gasser, I’ve tested the game on OG Xbox One, One X, Series X and the problems you’re having are prevalent on the OG XOne as well. The hardware seems to have a difficult time catching up with the game, but an SSD hard drive ironed out these issues, like the phone call lines not synching and odd laggy enemy response times, it’ll also speed up loading.
This eliminated like 80% of the problems, and made the game playable! Thanks a bunch!
Some note here: SSD trick works on PS4 because it's not bottlenecked by I/O limitations of Xbox hardware on OG and One X. No hardware site ever has been able to find differences between SSD and HDD on those platforms in streaming performance, only loading performance.

Yeah, @ElmoPelle noticed this as well and wrote me a PM^^

Anyway, as mentioned in the main post it seems like work is going along as expected and my estimation for end of February or early March is still valid.

I just came across a new legend finally which dates a bit, but according to this legend it seems that a DLC would be located in busan in korea? No I'm not trolling I really came across a site that talks about this! So I don't know what to think about it ... if someone has also seen this or some info, in short news would be good anyway !

I just came across a new legend finally which dates a bit, but according to this legend it seems that a DLC would be located in busan in korea? No I'm not trolling I really came across a site that talks about this! So I don't know what to think about it ... if someone has also seen this or some info, in short news would be good anyway !
It was someone's speculation that some others took and ran with it. The "source" was purely just speculating.

As to my knowledge, it has been clearly communicted by CDPR that the next-gen upgrade will only by for current-gen consoles and it will better leverage their hardware capabilities (as you have stated). So, think of the current PC version in terms of visual fidelity, but aim a fair bit lower. So, it is safe to assume that RT effects will make their way into the game and that's probably it. If you expect much more you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Do you have any sources for this clear communication?

Bear in mind I am not interested because I haven't set my own expectations. My expectations are the next gen console update, as the name implies, has very little or nothing to do with the PC platform. It's a console update for the "next gen" consoles. However, I do not recall anything explicitly clarifying it. It's more based on reading between the lines.

Also bear in mind I don't frequently visit game media sources, random youtubers, use social media or roam around random reddit threads. I'll go with my better judgement and keep the reasons for this to myself. This is why I said it's possible I missed it.

Let me put it this way. I bet when the update information is provided you're going to see PC players ranting and raving over the lack of "next gen" stuff on the PC side. It's safe to assume this will happen to some extent regardless of approach. But.... if those details I mentioned earlier were clearly communicated in a non-vague way the probability for these sort of responses plummets.
I disagree, I think CDPR knew when Cyberpunk 2077 was released what the next-gen upgrade would entail. Due to platform constraints, some things might have been kicked during the development, but I'm pretty sure they are following their plan. Likewise, I assume next-gen and 1.5 are feature complete and they are spending their time for bug testing. If they plan had been to develop right until the end of Q2, they would have stated that next-gen and 1.5 were delayed until 2022Q2 or just 2022.
I sure hope so. Again though, it is possible the development is more like winging it, letting the chips fall and slapping all the details together at the last minute. That's rather dysfunctional, yeah. It's not a perfect world either. It's probably surprisingly more common than anyone would expect.

It does seem more likely the details are fleshed out by now. What the next gen console update involves. What the 1.5 update involves. This is all known information. Unfortunately, much of this information is unavailable to the poor pleb players. We get to wait until about a week before release to get any of it. Possibly days before. At this point I wouldn't rule out the day of release. Not that it's the end of the world. It's free shit for everyone with a copy of the game.

Do you have any sources for this clear communication?
Fairly sure there is none, other then the fact that RT already exists on PC and cant be used on the old gen consoles. They might add "new" tech that is not currently supported on PC (AMD Fsr and directstorage for example) but nothing about what "next gen" is has been confirmed. Its making use of new hardware of the new consoles, whatever that mean.

Fairly sure there is none, other then the fact that RT already exists on PC and cant be used on the old gen consoles. They might add "new" tech that is not currently supported on PC (AMD Fsr and directstorage for example) but nothing about what "next gen" is has been confirmed. Its making use of new hardware of the new consoles, whatever that mean.
That's kind of what I was trying to get at. I have some idea what is in store for the next gen update, where it applies, what it may do, etc. But... almost all of it is from reading between the lines and making educated guesses. Neither of which meet my own personal barometer for reliable. So the preferred approach is to establish what I think it means but leave it in the "wait and see" box.

But again... It's free for those with the game. If it gets here tomorrow, great. If it's at the end of March, alrighty. If it gets delayed because apparently reasonable estimates for target dates is a mystical Unicorn then that's fine too. The main point was knowing what the hell the updates are all about would be cool. Again, it's not a world ender if that doesn't happen. There isn't exactly a shortage of content and entertainment floating around nowadays.

I'll leave it there since this is a rampant speculation thread. It's probably a little OT. It's not in line with glancing at SteamDB build updates, plucking out words and conveniently assigning them meanings because it might sorta kinda sounds like it could make sense. Or parroting what some Forbes clown put out there....

Next step in my irrational unproven self hype on the patch release. My teabreak musings told me that V is for valentines day? Because CDPR loves it's fans so much..........
Post automatically merged:

Glad you got sorted, I was going to suggest a vacuum cleaner and reinitialising the machine. I tend to clear the game cache on mine every time I load the game too. (hold L1 and R1 whilst loading)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom