Nillfgaard and how it is discriminated with the 4/6 Provisions cards

+
Just some observations and thoughts on the observed, as I see it. In short: there is some baffling neglect when you look how the NG cards Provisions cost and similar mechanics from other Factions and Neutral cards looks like, while NG often lacks tempo in match ups at the top. I would like to add that i absolutely intentionally did NOT put any NR cards on this list, cause they bring absolutely different problems with them. there is also 1MO card, but mostly cause I think the most of their low cost.

I had not dug really deep, but I think the examples are enough. Feel free to bring your own.

So let's see:

1. King of Beggars (Neutral) - 4STR / 8p
  2. Hawker Smuggler (ST Faction Specific) - 4STR / 7p
  3. Strays of Spalla (Neutral) - 4STR / 5p
  4. Vrihedd Dragoon - 4STR / 4p
  5. Dimeritium Shackles (Neutral) - 3DMG / 5p
  6. Alba Armored Cavalry (NG Faction Specific) - 3STR / 5p
So, in my opinion, DMG should be more costly than raw points, thus it would be nice if AAC does get buffed with 1STR compared to D-Shackles, especially considering how the points and provisions work with the other examples here. Also, a vast amount of engines are at 4STR anyway. It's really annoying to see how you are shutting down OP's strategies, but at the end you lose because of 1 or 2 points cause your control cards do not match the shutting down of said engines.

1. Alzur's Thunder (Neutral) - 5DMG / 6p
  2. Incinerating Trap (ST Faction Specific) - 5DMG / 5p
  3. Crushing Trap (ST Faction Specific) - 1/18 DMG / 6p
  4. Primal Savagery (SK Faction Specific) - 2DMG+5STR Body / 5p (EASILY achieved condition in SK)
  5. Assassination (NG Faction Specific) - 4/5/6 DMG / 6p
You have to be incredibly lucky to hit with Assassination for 6 points. Usually you hit for 5, often for less to destroy an engine. Only advantage is that it is a tactic, but this does not mean much, because the card is expensive for its points/usefulness, especially when compared with Primal Savagery, which costs LESS and swings for MORE. Compared with the ST Artifacts the card is also in total disadvantage. Absolute disbalance with the Provisions towards NG here.

1. Svalblod Priest - 3STR / 5p (instant 5 STR body, insultingly EASY condition, preposterous amount of synergy)
  2. Heymaey Protector - 3STR / 4p ( can easily go up to 4 or 5 on Deploy, insane amounts of synergy like the Svalblod Priest)
  3. Disgraced Brawler - 7STR / 5p (extremely cheap Tall Unit)
  4. Dryad Fledling - 4STR / 4p
  5. Wyvern - 3STR+2DMG / 5p (and don't forget the synergy with Thrive)
  6. Nauzicaa Sergeant - 3STR / 4p
  7. Magne Division - 2+1 STR / 4p
  8. Ducal Guard - 4STR / 4p
  9. Imperial Diviner - 4STR / 5p
Svalblod Priests and Disgraced Brawler are the absolute offenders here, even though at 5p and not 4 (cause NG has nothing actually good point or engine wise in the 5p bracket that does not need a special built or set-up). You'll say "they are 5p and not 4p", but this is besides the point. They are giving WAY better points vs provisions than anything NG at the 4/6 range. Even at the 4/8 for that matter. It's crazy.

Than it's the Wyvern, which again comes really cheap here. Turns out like Damage is actually cheaper than raw points, which is absolutely baffling to me and how the cost of a card should be calculated.

Than, why is the Dryad Fledling 4 for 4 with familiar as Nauzicaa Sergeant mechanic? Any ideas?

Magne Division is by far the weakest and drawbacking (there such a word?) engine here. It can get you in tons of trouble or just underperform even for 4p. Just stupid.

Ducal Guard and imperial Diviner are actually fine, but I had to include them just to compare them with the other cards. The Ducal Guard I would not mind to see go down 1STR but gain like 2 Armor, if this mechanic ever comes back again. Or even a Shield would be nice (cause also there's Sweers who needs to work too, right?). Same goes for Nauzicaa Sergeant and Magne Divisin, BTW. Give those cards something to rely on and do not let them be some weak points engine.

NG needs something little to be more viable at the top and point here or there, or a shield here or there for their engines can do that pretty efficiently, in my opinion. I know new mechanics will also help, but let's focus on the small things that can be done quick and easily.

Last edited:
well, the skellige comparison is true imo but you can compare many, many cards with those and complain, not just NG.
I think the alba cav is fine at 5, sure it has the same provision cost as shackles, but you put a body on the board that can be used for slave infantry or soldier synergy (which could probably be improved upon).
the fledgling comparison is lacking imo. boost on deploy is alot better than harmony, there is barely a NG unit without a deploy ability while harmony triggers once for each archtype, which usually peaks in an ~8 fledgeling, while nauzica can go 10+ if not removed.
I would be fine with nauzica at 4 strength if it was row-locked but idk if that would really be a buff.
Incinerating trap can be easily outplayed by artefact removal or just playing a bad card you mulliganed.

rrc

Forum veteran
KoB and Smugglers shouldn't be compared to each other; for one, KoB is a Gold card and Smugglers are Bronze. But also, KoB is not row locked and Smugglers are. KoB's target is fixed (to some extent) and Smugglers' target is not. So, taking all into the account, I wouldn't say Smugglers are better than KoB just because of the 1P less; as she is row locked and random boost (and random boost is sometimes better than fixed, I agree).

I agree that AlbaArmoredCavalry being the same as the Lock seems bad. But every single locking unit has at least 2 provisions deficiency (except for Djenge who has 1BT requirement which is as good as not having that condition).

Your comparison of Azul's Thunder to the Trap is wrong. Azul's Thunder can kill an unit on the board, where as the Trap can only kill the next unit played by opponent. If you want to use Zeal, it does only 3 damage. Crushing Trap can only be compared with Lacerete (7P) and Sabrina (6P). Among these three, Crushing Trap is the weakest as it can be removed by artifact removal (which is very common) and Sabrina can be locked or transformed.

When you said Assasination rarely does 6 damage, may be because there are no 6 point unit that get played first. Assassination kills most units in the game and it has always killed the important unit I have played. You should compare Assassination with Parasite and not with the other cards you had compared. Parasite is a 6 for 6, and is flexible too. A complete unfair card in comparison with other faction cards.

No argument needed in case of SK bronze. You can win a game only with SK bronzes. There is a card in SY which is a 5P card with 3 power and it has to pay 4 tribute (effectively 9 provisions) to boost by 2, so that it comes to board with 5 power (outside the range of most removal), but SvalBlod Priest comes with no additional cost and he usually breaks even or get even more value and come with 5 point body. He is bloody insane and his OP ability will be hidden when other bronzes are buffed. Unless he is nerfed, he would still be the strongest bronze in the entire game.

Comparing NauzicaaSergent with Harmony is wrong too. NauzicaaSergent can get procced 7-8 times easily, but Harmony Procss are not that easy. Mange Division has the easiest condition and hence the price. Imperial Diviner is the same as Pellar, but she is an assimiilate engine. Most of the cards you mentioned seemed to be fairly priced in comparison with other faction cards (except when comparing with SK cards).

NG is not discriminated against, at all. It's SY, SK and NG all the way. It's all the other factions that are being discrimanted against and ST has been for two years.

Eithne control, dwarfspam, spellatell all gone within a week or so. Yet the other OP decks have lasted much longer in any of their forms, regardless of faction. It just can't be ST. They must not be allowed to be dominant for more than a week. But SK? Oh, 6 months for that faction (greatswords)

Farce.

Top Bottom