No Branching Story Confirmed.But what does it mean?

+
I said that but its not the same thing, this has to do with how accurate we are regarding a specific part of the subject, difference is, you didnt use the words "some of the game's content got locked" or "some of the game's locked content" before, instead it sounded like a generalization of my opinion when you wrote "you shouldn't complain about "locked" content".

I enjoy locked content naturally, since its the only way to have any choices at all, not just meaningful ones, but I don't like precisely the use of it when it involves locking approximately one third of a short (to me) game from a playthrough. I simply think its an extreme measure, and the sacrifices were not worth the benefits, however this is not the thread to discuss the TW2 so...

We definitely understand each other, its just a matter of technicalities :p

OK, now i get what you meant , the way your initial post was phrased coupled with my eagerness to dispute created the whole thing. Your opinion is quite reasonable,i could definitely sympathize with you if only i thought the game shorter than it should have been,but i thought it was admirably paced and executed in the final chapter.

Anyway,we moved on a different topic as you said so let me redirect the discussion:
DAMN YOU CD PROJEKT I 'M NOT BUYING THE WITCHA 3 IF IT DOESN'T BRANCH LIKE THE WITCHA 2 FOR THREE CHAPTERS THIS TIME,AND IF YOU CANT KILL EVERYONE LIKE THE SKYRIM

No branching story. It means that i don't have to replay the 2nd time to have a completely exclusive act (Iorverth/Roche). Will it limit replayability? I think the replayability would be making different choices and wanted a different outcome. I'm not sure if this is a good approach. I would like that when you made certain decisions you may or may not see new different, exclusive locations and quests. Of course this is my personal preference.

I think in an open world it is reasonable to have no branching storylines.
Especially since this is Geralts conclusion story.

Having completely different acts does only work for the world-hub approach in games.
If you go open world it means you have to be able to go wherever you want whenever you want.
Which is IMO not all that bad, considering I had to look up the Witcher.wiki multiple times just to make sure I do not lock me out of the Path I wanted to go the first time I played it (It was kind of confusing at first).
I think it was cool for TW2 but TW3 - as an open world title - just is better with completely open locations.

But you heard the developers, they stated that your choices matter. They stated that you have to be careful and that if you don't watch out it might be that by taking or completing one quest or making specific choices another one might become unavailable. Or that if solve a quest and come back later to that village it might be burned down, or hostile towards you or something else might have happened as consequence.
So there are certainly big choices, choices and quests locking off other opportunities and choices changing the world around you.
I actually think that is all I need. I don't need 2 different acts excluding each other, all I want are the moral grey area choices and hard, big consequences.
As long as that is provided - in side missions as well as main quests - I am happy.

Which is IMO not all that bad, considering I had to look up the Witcher.wiki multiple times just to make sure I do not lock me out of the Path I wanted to go the first time I played it (It was kind of confusing at first).
Hm, no pun intended, but I think you made something wrong here: you informed yourself way too much about the game before you played the game.

In theory you should be surprised by consequences. It shouldn't be a systemic approach like: I want to see this ending so I have to make action X in situation Y. You should make choices and decisions based on your own agenda or the agenda of the character you (role)play but not based on consequences you shouldn't even know at the time of your choices. If you do that you just play the game the wrong way (yeah I know, that's not really possible, but you possibly cut a lot of the fun for yourself here).

I can only recommend watching Extra Credit's video about choices and consequences. Witcher 2 was great in both. Choice AND consequence was basically the main motive of the game and every other element was made to strengthen storytelling and the interaction between your choices and the consequences of your actions. I personally just fear that consequences will suffer because of the new seamless open world direction.

I actually think that is all I need. I don't need 2 different acts excluding each other, all I want are the moral grey area choices and hard, big consequences.

For me, big consequences are those that fundamentally change the course of the story.Like in the witcher 2.Why?Because consequences that involve environmental change aren't really big or rewarding.A village burned down ,so what?Some npcs vanished from the game and some huts got burned that's it.Or say novigrad falls to nilfgaardian hands(i'm speculating) if the main story's quests don't change the only thing different will be the flags on the city's walls and it's guards.Not that the above are not welcome,but they pale next to the gravity of a choice that changes your story.

Branching doesn't require areas to get locked ,it can definitely happen in an open world setting.It requires quest chains to be locked.

Hm, no pun intended, but I think you made something wrong here: you informed yourself way too much about the game before you played the game.

My mistake was knowing about a "big decision" in the second chapter.
I actually already decided before, but I wanted to know what I had to do to decide.
Because when Geralt talked to Iorveth and I wanted to come with him Geralt stated he wanted to talk to Roche before going.
And I was like.... what the hell? Because when I went to roach the only decision I could make is go with him or just end the dialogue and go.
It was confusing.

Maybe it was a bad example.

In theory you should be surprised by consequences. It shouldn't be a systemic approach like: I want to see this ending so I have to make action X in situation Y. You should make choices and decisions based on your own agenda or the agenda of the character you (role)play but not based on consequences you shouldn't even know at the time of your choices. If you do that you just play the game the wrong way (yeah I know, that's not really possible, but you possibly cut a lot of the fun for yourself here).

Yeah I normally do that. The problem is there were multiple moments where I was actually told what would happen but suddenly there were additional consequences. Like a quest locking off due to a choice, although I personally did not make the conclusion that this quest locking off would be the reasonable consequence of my decision. So when I heard about the "big choice" (an yes again, maybe the problem was that I knew there is a big choice in the first place) I just had to look so I definitely make the choice I want to make.

Mind you - I did not check up the consequences, I just looked what exactly I had to do to make this choice and if I had togo immediately after that choice or if I had time for other stuff. I often don't like that in an RPG if there are moments where you feel obliged to make the decision instantly because it is better for immersion purposes due to time pressing within the story. That alone is not a problem, but if this decision instantly locks off all quests/opportunities/Locations you had earlier it is kind of..... not cool IMO, I just don't like it. It's like "okay, you made your decision, NOW there is no time anymore", whereas if you do not choose and say you need a while to think about it you can finish all other quests and stuff and then continue as if time stands still.

I can only recommend watching Extra Credit's video about choices and consequences.

I know the video.
But then again, in the end this topic (how I play my games in terms of choices and consequences) is not the point of my previous post.

For me, big consequences are those that fundamentally change the course of the story.

IMO that is possible without locking off locations. CDPR said themselves that the locations will change over time based on your consequences. Maybe one location will REALLY be locked off, but not in a physical sense, maybe more because the village/town was destroyed, or because people in this town are now hostile towards you. Or for another reason.

There are possibilities to provide the player with big game and story-changing consequences without locking off areas IMO.

Why?Because consequences that involve environmental change aren't really big or rewarding.A village burned down ,so what?Some npcs vanished from the game and some huts got burned that's it

Well, fist of all, the game world feels alive that way. Second of all, maybe you liked some of the NPC characters, some of them might be quest givers, not strangers anymore. And third, burning down that village and removing the NPCs is about the absolute same as if you just locked off that area. There is nothing to get there anymore, possible quests are not available. But for that, there might be other quests available nearby that wouldn't be if the village didn't burn down.

Also, I know we will have 2 or 3 areas which are outside of the "main game area" in the game. Those might be unlocked or locked based on your choices as well. Events might change based on your decisions in The Witcher 2 or your decisions you made during your playtime in TW3.

There are a lot of possibilities.

Branching doesn't require areas to get locked ,it can definitely happen in an open world setting.It requires quest chains to be locked.

CDPR confirmed some quests might be locked due to your choices and/or due to your actions (such as completing a special quest could lock another quest). They said themselves in the 35 minutes gameplay video "be careful though, finish/take one quest and another one might vanish".

Last edited:
Maybe it was a bad example.
No it's a great example, I can relate. It didn't feel like a choice at all, just due to me playing a bit of RPGs beforehand and going to talk to other important NPCs after a 'big' event is why I happens to discovered it's a choice, otherwise you just get dragged into Roche's plan. I didn't even know siding with Iorveth's led to a completely different area until after I read it somewhere.

No it's a great example, I can relate. It didn't feel like a choice at all, just due to me playing a bit of RPGs beforehand and going to talk to other important NPCs after a 'big' event is why I happens to discovered it's a choice, otherwise you just get dragged into Roche's plan. I didn't even know siding with Iorveth's led to a completely different area until after I read it somewhere.

I took the Roche path and there are many questions arises why this happened and why that happened. I only came to the understanding when i took Iorveth's path. No branching story are meant for people who just want to play the game for 1 playthroughs. I personally welcome the change. It seems there will still be replayability as choices matter. Certain quests or locations(hopefully?) can be exclusive depends on your choices that you made.

Well, you visit the same areas in the game, just in different order. What the game actually does is locking of story content and quests. And that was a good idea because CDPR didn't have to make new areas for just one path. They just had to alter the areas every player visit either way and change NPCs and storyline and stuff.

The issue is that with a hub based design you can quite easily change a hub based on previous decisions in another hub because the size of the hub is limited and the amount of objects/NPCs/dialogues and all kind of stuff is limited. It's a reasonable effort. In a seamless open world the effort is much higher and there are way more connections to be considered. It's possible but it's a whole lot harder and more time and resource consuming and that's the reason why CDPR probably won't make anything of that "scope" in consequences again (not counting the end of the game).

And in general, if a choice doesn't feel like a tough choice or a consequence doesn't feel like it's justified or correctly related to something you've done (or not done), it's just "bad or lacking writing". That's actually what the Extra Credits video is all about (besides the differentiation between choices and consequences).

Last edited:
Well, you visit the same areas in the game, just in different order. What the game actually does is locking of story content and quests.

When do you visit Vergen in Roaches path? oO
(no seriously, I didn't play Roaches path, I just didn't think that is what I - or a Witcher for that matter - would do, considering I do not owe any loyalty to Foltest)

The issue is that with a hub based design you can quite easily change a hub based on previous decisions in another hub because the size of the hub is limited and the amount of objects/NPCs/dialogues and all kind of stuff is limited. It's a reasonable effort. In a seamless open world the effort is much higher and there are way more connections to be considered. It's possible but it's a whole lot harder and more time and resource consuming and that's the reason why CDPR probably won't make anything of that "scope" in consequences again (not counting the end of the game).

Yes, but for me personally, that is not bad necessarily. The quests we get will still depend on the decisions we make, and how the areas look and the story goes will also depend on out decisions and - apparently due to the statements of the REDs - also depend on where we actually START with the main story (they said you can start at multiple places and have different pieces of the puzzle and those will then shed a completely different light on situations based on where you started)

Last edited:
When do you visit Vergen in Roaches path? oO
(no seriously, I didn't play Roaches path, I just didn't think that is what I - or a Witcher for that matter - would do, considering I do not owe any loyalty to Foltest)
When Henselt invades it. You can kill Henselt in Vergen together with Roche. So you definitely visit the area. It's the latest area you visit in the 2nd act before you move on to act 3. You start in Henselt's camp, then fight your path through the ghostly fog and finally fight in Vergen in the 2nd act.

There is no really exclusive area in Witcher 2 for one path in act 2. The changes are completely about the order you visit the places and about the state in which they are (including both available NPCs and quests) once you visit them.

From an development effort perspective, the same assets and levels are used for both paths.

Last edited:
When Henselt invades it. You can kill Henselt in Vergen together with Roche. So you definitely visit the area. It's the latest area you visit in the 2nd act before you move on to act 3. You start in Henselt's camp, then fight your path through the ghostly fog and finally fight in Vergen in the 2nd act.

Yeah but you only shortly "visit" Vergen. No quests and stuff to do there.
Also, there is also a short "visit" of Roaches camp if you choose Iorveths path, but that is also shorter than short.

Yeah but you only shortly "visit" Vergen. No quests and stuff to do there.
Also, there is also a short "visit" of Roaches camp if you choose Iorveths path, but that is also shorter than short.
Right. But you still visit it so the level assets of the alternative path were not completely put "at waste". ;)

Top Bottom