No XP when overleveled

+
@Aditya I've got some conflicting feelings with how quests, level requirements, experience, and the fact that being a completionist I have this burning desire to do EVERYTHING and being high level over many quests, especially story, and also extremely under leveled with majority of the quests/contracts I've picked up.. Like, I dunno what I want...

I just wish greyed out quests would be somewhat scaled near your current level to offer challenge. 50/50 on greyed quests offering experience, though. Haven't come across the XP bug people are reporting, but then again I haven't even gone to Novigrad yet.

I want to give this game a break and get to to real life matters, like finishing up work around the house, getting all these college course credits finished.. complete other games I got that need to be completed, but I CAN'T STOP PLAYING!

Paut

Forum regular
No XP on grey quests taking all the fun out of exploring at own pace

First off, congratulations on one of the most well crafted digital world I have ever seen. Since my computer is 3 years old, I begrudgingly decided my better option was to buy the game on PS4 and I have got to say that I am impressed with what you have accomplished on there.

Now that I have given you the flowers, here is the proverbial pot so to speak. My only qualm is with your reward system, more precisely the experience points given through quests completion. Thing is, you built this immense world for us to explore as we see fit, unshackled us from the monotony of on rails RPG. You made a somewhat MM(Offline)RPG yet you are punishing your most devout fans who take their time exploring all the nooks and crannies of your extremely well orchestrated game by removing their xp gain if they went ahead and quested too much on their own free will before going back to the main story. I would partly excuse this decision if it was a multiplayer game, or if doing higher leveled quests while being under-experienced would bear more rewards, but alas it is not the case. Problem is, we are not warned that after a certain threshold we will be deprived of the fruits of our labor and honestly this takes away a lot of the enjoyment of taking time to explore thoroughly the world you took so much time and effort to build for us.

As you can probably guess, I personally am in such a predicament. I got around to doing the main quests of Ladies of the Woods and Family Matters at level 14 because I wanted to look and feel badass in my newly crafted Feline gear set (got to see those guns in action) only to realize that I was getting nothing out of completing those tasks. It is only after perusing the web that I realized that not only the new patch introduced an XP bug but that anyone who was completing grey quests were ripped of their sweet experience points. I would strongly advise in rethinking this mechanic as I think it takes a lot away at what you intended your customers to accomplish and the time you wanted them to spend in your world. Fact is, on a financial standpoint, you want them to stick around as long as possible so when additional content is released they are incentivized to purchase it as they are still very much hooked on your product. For me personally, just discovering this has really dampened my fun and will to continue exploring the world and enjoying your game at my own pace. It's the kind of thing that actually got me to register on your forum and take some time to write to you about, which I got to say is something I almost never do (exception being this case).

I know I'm not the first to say this and probably won't be the last, but hopefully my words along with those of my fellow witchers will get you to fix this issue for us and hopefully no later than the next patch. I can't wait to dive back in and continue taking out the trash one abomination at a time and I'm pretty sure I am not the only one.

Sincerely,

Paut of Rivia

What he said.

My only gripe with the game, in terms of quests, is being too high a level and they are, in turn, extremely freaking easy as hell, even on hardest difficulty. I'd like constant challenge, please. Don;t care if the quest doesn't offer XP for originally being greyed-out, I want a bloody challenge.

Paut

Forum regular
nleibert, I know I'm doing low level story mission quests because I'm too high leveled, and it was partly the point. I wanted to take the time to explore the whole map of Velen (all the question marks) and gear up before taking on the main story mission. I thought the point of doing a true open world RPG was that we were free to do as we pleased, whenever we pleased, and that we weren't to be punished in the back-end for doing so.

I've read in many places that people are looking for a greater challenge and that CD Projekt wanted us to stay in a certain level range so the story missions would still feel challenging and meaningful. This design is contradictory with the main vision of the game. What I would recommend to the developer in this case would be for the main story mission quests to scale in level with the character. In this case, it would still be challenging and still offer decent rewards for accomplishing the tasks laid before us.

Last edited:
You could ask a modder to edit the file with the quest rewards and change the requirment levels to 70 in the xml, repack it into the bundle, and add it on the http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/?

All the quests would read 70 but the rewards, exp would remain the same [as if you did it on-level].

After the main story you out level everything already, why would you want more levels for the quests? Just enjoy them lol

Leveling is poorly design in this game. The idea of open world is to be able to have more freedom in main & side quests & exploration. But now you are being lead to do quests in such a way that you do not get overlevel, & recieve no XP, but if you try to do too much quests or explored too much of the '?', you risk outleveling the main quests.

Unless you do not mind not getting XP for quests yoiu basically have to 'micromanage' exploration/side/mainquests so you are always within the optimimal level. I play other RPG like Dragon age inquestion & never have to worry about such issues. I am already almost 3 level higher than some main quests, & many side quest are risking getting Grey (some already greyed). So what should I do....sigh. I guess I should finish the main quest, & then decide if which side quest to do, which to do it later 'for teh story'. Completely unneccessary game design decision. Maybe have a middle ground & give us 1/2 exp.

Paut

Forum regular
Zaxe3k, agreed that could be a solution. Though that wouldn't be applicable for the console gamers sadly. CD Projekt would benefit from addressing this situation properly either by scaling the difficulty of the story missions to your current level when you tackle them, or removing the XP penalty altogether is it is kind of an invisible hand forcing us to stick to the beaten path.

Last edited:
1/2 XP could be considered, but again I still don't much care for greyed-out quests/contracts giving me ANY XP. I just want every greyed-out quest/contract raising the level to accommodate my level so I receive a challenge.

as mods/cdpr already said it is going to be fixed in 1.05 because it really stops the player from levelling and its tiresome to kill someone twice your level in the main story (as far as i heard)

as mods/cdpr already said it is going to be fixed in 1.05 because it really stops the player from levelling and its tiresome to kill someone twice your level in the main story

That's "the bug" for players having too much time played. This topic is a completely different issue.

I feel the story quests should have been scalable to the players level, and only in the upward direction. Side quests not so much, I restarted the game because on getting to Novigrad for the first time I was level 15 and most story quests were 12 and way too easy. I've just finished the Bloody Baron and I'm close to out levelling the story quests again at level 11 even though I've missed a lot of side quests and areas of interest.

this is leading me to lose interest as I'm being forced into a way of playing that negates the whole go anywhere explore and play your own game experience. At the moment I wish I could turn XP gain off and on to enable me to progress at my own speed.

Paut

Forum regular
There you have it folks, by design the way the quests have been laid out, the intent of the game (open world) and the reward system is a huge paradox. Either you make it to scale up to the player's level (like two levels under if you've reached a certain higher tier level before taking on the task) or you take the whole idea of putting an invisible DM's hand over our head away by completely freeing us and letting us do as we please. But in this current state I feel the game misses the mark. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent game. One of the best I have ever played. But not getting something as core as experience rewards mechanic in an RPG game is, to me, a somewhat big deal.

@Gazzaho at level 13, about to reach level 14 and still have not gone into Novigrad. Now you've given me a bloody PANIC ATTACK!...Now I will need to progress through the main story...

Don;t get me wrong, I love the story and wish to progress, eventually. Just being a completionist has made my experience in this game really difficult...

---------- Updated at 08:49 PM ----------

I don't wish to become such a high level that Main Quests/Secondary Quests offer me NO CHALLENGE... Simply cause I wish to explore...

Paut

Forum regular
I would honestly love for a developer's viewpoint on this particular topic. Why this design choice if the game is to be open world? Why take away the rewards if the level cap is to be 70? Why not make the game scale the main story missions to the current player's level? And most of all, what they intend to do for us folks who are completionists and who want to explore every bit of Temeria as we please?

I'd like to know as well, to be honest.

I know there is a specific way they wish us to play the game, but they do know this is a huge open-world and us completionist types are bound to wanna explore everything there is to explore.

I had this issue with another game where the developers implemented a DOOMSDAY CLOCK and you'd only have 12 minutes of daylight, 12 minutes of night. When that day passed you'd be transported away and go into the following day.

This caused me to stop playing the game, wishing that the in-game clock wasn't tied to real-time 24-minute per every in-game day when the game ends after the 13th day. Why had they not set each in-game day to an hour real-time is beyond my comprehension.

There was so much to do, to see, with a rather big world hub to explore. The constant push from the game to rush everything was EXTREMELY annoying. They basically encouraged you to play the game multiple times in order to do everything... WHY?! I shouldn't HAVE to.

Thankfully Witcher 3 has no system in place, even though the main quest story doesn't seem to make such sense in an open-world, what with trying to find Ciri ASAP in the early game.

I've been digging through the gamefiles for a long time now, but i didn't find a single indicator that would lead to the conclusion that there is a level cap for quest-exp. :/

Top Bottom