No XP when overleveled

+

Paut

Forum regular
FreeFall24, I think you're talking about Majora's Mask there. Great game I heard, but never played for that exact reason. When I get my hands on a game, I like to be free to explore it on my own terms. Which is what I was led to believe Witcher 3 was. And honestly, that's the only thing I want. If that was to be addressed, it would be contender for my personal favorite game of all time.

@Gazzaho at level 13, about to reach level 14 and still have not gone into Novigrad. Now you've given me a bloody PANIC ATTACK!...Now I will need to progress through the main story...

Don;t get me wrong, I love the story and wish to progress, eventually. Just being a completionist has made my experience in this game really difficult...

---------- Updated at 08:49 PM ----------

I don't wish to become such a high level that Main Quests/Secondary Quests offer me NO CHALLENGE... Simply cause I wish to explore...

No challenge is the 'small' issue, not getting experience in main quests will hit you hard. You need to grind a lot of side quests to gain similar exp points of main quest, yet you also run risk of these side quests turning grey.

So I guess the best way to play is avoid exploring too much, & make sure you are 1-2 level within main quests. Only explore & do side quests when you are under level for main quests.

So much for open world freedom & exploration. This is the first RPG where I feel discouarge to explore.

Paut

Forum regular
So much for open world freedom & exploration. This is the first RPG where I feel discouarge to explore.

Sad but true, which I know from every developer's diary out there that it was not the intent at all.

You can't play this game the way you want. Nope. No stealth, no civvy killing, no gunfights, no real magic powerz...so many limits.

XP is not lacking in this game. Do the quests for the story, not because you get a cookie or whatever. If you want the cookie, go do a quest that would actually challenge you. So you can actually, you know, -earn- that cookie.

@Paut was actually talking about FFXIII: LR.

I know... WTF?! FFXIII?! EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@#$%^&*(

I honestly thought it was great, concept, the entire focus on Light, and the combat was amazing. I hated that stupid DOOMSDAY CLOCK bullshit, and therefore it collects dust. Collector's Edition and all.

Paut

Forum regular
FreeFall24, That's what the "Collector's" stands for ;)

On a side note, I have always been a fan of FF, regardless of the direction they took (corridor RPG), at least they were honest and forefront about it. Can't wait for FFXV which I think will correct a lot of their past mistakes. But to get back on the topic at hand, I would just love for CD Projekt to be true to their vision of their product and give us the freedom that we were supposed to get without any restrictions or invisible hands steering us back in the main direction. And again, I'd love for someone within the company to officially comment on this particular topic.

Last edited:
@Sardukhar but almighty and wise Christian Bale (That is Bale, right?) I just want Quests/Secondary Quests/Contracts that have become under-leveled to give me a challenge at my current level!

I WANNA BE CHALLENGED, Mr. BALE! CHALLENGED!

Could careless if I did not receive XP for originally greyed-out quests, to be honest.

I agree with Paut, this has truly created an invisible fence within what was meant to be an open world. While I can't say it'll cause me to lose interest it would be nice if this were addressed. I should think it almost to be a given that players should receive experience rewards for ANY quest being completed. Whether or not difficulty is scaled according to level isn't such a huge deal as I personally just want to experience as much as the story as possible, but I will admit it's a little disappointing to have a perpetual god-mode applied after a certain point once players choose to explore quests they hadn't.

---------- Updated at 09:42 PM ----------

As do I, though not for any reasons mentioned in this thread.

What are your reasons for not wanting to explore? Beyond lack of difficulty and xp gain I don't see much else.

Paut

Forum regular
Personally I love the world of The Witcher. I love exploring Temeria and see secondhand story bits of how corrupt and broken the human nature of its inhabitants is. I like doing quests and reading things in the game that just raises a mirror in front of me of how we often are as humans in the real world. That and I also like to be OP ;)

Last edited:
You can't play this game the way you want. Nope. No stealth, no civvy killing, no gunfights, no real magic powerz...so many limits.
Nice straw man argument. Nobody's complaining about those. What we are complaining about is that, in a game that's supposed to be all about exploration and following your own path, doing so penalises you. (It's put me off buying any DLC.)

XP is not lacking in this game. Do the quests for the story, not because you get a cookie or whatever. If you want the cookie, go do a quest that would actually challenge you. So you can actually, you know, -earn- that cookie.
Patronising too. Great!

I suspect that the devs had trouble embracing the open world philosophy after the two previous linear instalments, and it didn't occur to them that people might play it in the "wrong" order (which also explains why there are so many ways of rendering several quests uncompletable) or couldn't find an elegant way to balance things to account for different play styles -- for some reason level scaling appears to be an abhorrent notion. If you're a completist then by the time you've got to Skellige you're already overlevelled for half the content: how is this a good design decision?

I'm not going to claim it ruins the game, but I still do not understand why it was done; if there was a worry that attaining too high a level would render the end-game too easy, make it harder rather than cripple the rest of the game -- that would encourage exploration.

*sigh*

I give up with this now...

Paut

Forum regular
@ElBiggus I thought about replying to this Mod's comment but felt that the god complex was too strong with this one. Thanks for actually taking the time of putting out a well crafted response.

Had lots of quests greyed out because I was busy enjoying the game. Not sure why this is turning into such a big deal. Leveling up is pretty easy and the quests are not less enjoyable if you don't get x amount of xp for them. But that's just me I guess.

There's enough XP throughout the game to get you leveled up. Who really cares? I just forget about the XP and play the game for the stories and beautiful world. You don't need xp to have fun....you just think you do. Addicted to xp from previous games that were unfun who need that mechanic to keep you playing.

I'm the opposite. I don't upgrade my gear if I don't like the looks of it, so I frequently skip better items if i prefer the looks of my current one and I try to not to give myself +dmg and +health stats and risk becoming too powerful because it will take away from the challenge of the game.

The game throws so much loot, gold, exp and super buffed items that make the game too easy...Deathmarch isn't really difficult in my opinion.

So really, xp is just an illusion. Geralt has most of his abilities with 0xp acquired. Anything gained by skills is mostly damage. The alternate signs and a couple skills in alchemy pretty much finish up his total skills...everything else is just fluff damage/mitigation/etc.

I'm with Paut on this one. A lot of people like the idea of creating a powerful character in RPGs. While the stories are still fun to do without the XP, it does feel like putting the game on rails. Having less XP for having done things in a different order does not make sense and feels like punishment.

@Sardukhar but almighty and wise Christian Bale (That is Bale, right?) I just want Quests/Secondary Quests/Contracts that have become under-leveled to give me a challenge at my current level!

I WANNA BE CHALLENGED, Mr. BALE! CHALLENGED!

Could careless if I did not receive XP for originally greyed-out quests, to be honest.

Oh. Yeah.

Fair enough.

Hm. Well, recently, I've been messing with my footwork and avoiding Quen. And trying really hard not to die. Death March of course.

Try semi-permadeath mode - if you die, wipe your last five saves or so.

At a certain point, the game isn't going to be as challenging to do some things. That's the nature of levelling up.

Let us hope that in Cyberpunk 2077, a .22 to the head can still kill. And a 7.62 AP round to the head, just one, can drop even a serious Borg. That's because Cyberpunk doesn't have levels - just skill and gear improvements.

So the best hacker or cop in the world, if he gets stabbed in the heart, dies. Just like real life! Unless he has skinweave...but he an get that right from the start.

Anyway, I digress

Level-based RPGs - eventually, you are OP.

Top Bottom