Options to remove Johnny pls [Suggestion / Spoilers!]

+
The problem with Johnny isn't Johnny but the fact that the core design of the game is flawed as it lacks any sort of cause and effect and actual progression your relationship with Johnny isn't actually built up everything he says is scripted only within the context of that event and not within the grander context of the relationship between V and Johnny and the overarching story.

So if you don't go to meet Goro immediately and go on random quests all of a sudden you are best buds with Johnny so if you don't do the content in the exact and i mean the exact order of quests CDPR has planned you to play the game through the relationship with Johnny won't make sense and it would make less and less sense the more you deviate from their pre-defined order.

This doesn't mean that Johnny needs to be scrapped but rather the game in it's current state should, if CDPR isn't going to pretty much redo the entire and I mean the entire game from scratch they should just chug it, not work on a single DLC piece for dumpster fire and release a new game 4-5 years from now in a proper state.

Johnny is fine the problem is that Johnny isn't a game mechanic just like everything else in the game Johnny is a cutscene, the game likes progressive mechanics, choice and consequences and this is why everything feels forced and pointless.

In an ideal world, I would like a SECOND FULL STORYLINE.
In which we save Jackie, we do not insert the chip into our head and we never see Johnny at all, except for a mention in notes and dialogues. A large, free DLS that adds a second storyline to the game in which the whole story goes differently.

Yes, I understand that this will not happen. Because this untalented, weak studio for 10 years of development was barely able to make one linear plot for 15 hours.

I completely agree, and so far I've formed the opinion in early game that I probably do NOT want to complete the game, or indeed, as you mention have any involvement with Johnny at all. As I regard the CDPR 'Keanu fetish' as being the prime ruination of this product, and have lost a lot of respect for the actor for this result. I think the whole 'celebrity' involvement in game was a mistake and ended up with the vision dumped to pander to the commercial attraction of these 'names'

I would prefer to simply play to a point where I cannot avoid the chip / and endings, and just from then exist in the game as an open world and find challenging combat and things to do.

This is partly based on the gleaned knowledge (spoiler...)

that I believe from what I have read after the ending you can no longer play your current V character in the game and cannot go back and just enjoy immersion in the world. If I am wrong about this do, point this out.

I have already improved my enjoyment of the game using mod resources:

adding third person view, editing colors of cars, editing clothing, using the console via tweeks, using mods to 'fly' into the aerial delights and views of Night City, exploring the areas outside of the Watson Lockdown, opening up locked areas, editing V's appearance in game, living in V's Mansion, and more. I am very early pre 'The Heist' at the moment and in no rush to progress the main game at all yet spending time driving round the whole map and tagging all the Fast Travel terminals. I am not sure at what point I can either:

1. avoid the chip from Johnny ( or even avoid Johnny)
2. Avoid ending

If the only way is to simply not progress past these points, then so be it, I do not want to end up losing all I put into my character and running a new game. DLCs would be great as long as you do not have to complete the ending to use them and you continue with your existing V, and they do not override a modded game file.

REMOVE JOHNNY PLS
I don't mind Johnny Silverhand at all, in fact I like him but I wish I knew Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be a "RPG" about a celebrity 8 years ago....

If only...
download (10).jpg

The three options I offered in the OP are all optional. It's kinda self-explanatory if you read them.

So if these options were in the game, you could still play through the game exactly as it is now, with Johnny constantly by your side. But it would give you some alternatives for when you don't want that. I don't see how having more choices can be a bad thing. :confused:

Absolutely loved Johnny. But I agree with what someone else mentioned - the game doesn't really account for where the player will go once they leave their apartment. I went from Johnny banging V's head on the window to the car garage where Delamain drives into you. Suddenly we are buddies - "hey Johnny didya see that?"

That was probably my only complaint. I didn't agree with Johnny on almost anything but came to empathize with him and he created some inflection points for me.

Last edited:
I rage quit the game after the dev fanboi jerkoff aka "The Interlude". I would kill to have a version without Johnny at my side and in my head. While I do in fact like Keanu Reeves, I absolutely hate having an obnoxious companion forced on me. I immediately called my best friend - who has been playing Cyberpunk with me since the 80's -- and asked him if that stupid movie I had to watch and then was forced to "play" Johnny in had options so I wouldn't have to put up with him...

Please give us a Johnnyless future in one of your coming updates.

Yeah...i dont like jonny as well.. if he is in other expansions im just done. Its weird cause i love Keanu Reeves movies.. cant stand him here. Maybe its because we dont have any choices...like, when you wanna be mean in the first sentence it just comes back around and the 2nd sentence is the same.. i was like what the actual f.....

I will start with I love Keanu Reeves.
However, I wish this game was made without the Johnny storyline. This game should have been about V, not Johnny. I should have been playing my character's story not Johnny. I should have been a corporate war between Militech and Arasaka that V was in the middle of not a stupid chip of Johnny in my head. They ruined the game for me and with the endings there is no replayability.

I completely agree, and so far I've formed the opinion in early game that I probably do NOT want to complete the game, or indeed, as you mention have any involvement with Johnny at all. As I regard the CDPR 'Keanu fetish' as being the prime ruination of this product, and have lost a lot of respect for the actor for this result. I think the whole 'celebrity' involvement in game was a mistake and ended up with the vision dumped to pander to the commercial attraction of these 'names'

I would prefer to simply play to a point where I cannot avoid the chip / and endings, and just from then exist in the game as an open world and find challenging combat and things to do.

This is partly based on the gleaned knowledge (spoiler...)

that I believe from what I have read after the ending you can no longer play your current V character in the game and cannot go back and just enjoy immersion in the world. If I am wrong about this do, point this out.

I have already improved my enjoyment of the game using mod resources:

adding third person view, editing colors of cars, editing clothing, using the console via tweeks, using mods to 'fly' into the aerial delights and views of Night City, exploring the areas outside of the Watson Lockdown, opening up locked areas, editing V's appearance in game, living in V's Mansion, and more. I am very early pre 'The Heist' at the moment and in no rush to progress the main game at all yet spending time driving round the whole map and tagging all the Fast Travel terminals. I am not sure at what point I can either:

1. avoid the chip from Johnny ( or even avoid Johnny)
2. Avoid ending

If the only way is to simply not progress past these points, then so be it, I do not want to end up losing all I put into my character and running a new game. DLCs would be great as long as you do not have to complete the ending to use them and you continue with your existing V, and they do not override a modded game file.

when you end the game they send you back to your save before attempting the ending, they add a couple special items you got while ending the game to your save.

you cannot avoid Johnny and experience most of the game, unless some one hacks it. I'm not sure why you hate a character you haven't even interacted with yet though. He can be a villain or a friend depending on how you interact with him.
Post automatically merged:

However, I wish this game was made without the Johnny storyline. This game should have been about V, not Johnny. I should have been playing my character's story not Johnny. I should have been a corporate war between Militech and Arasaka that V was in the middle of not a stupid chip of Johnny in my head. They ruined the game for me and with the endings there is no replayability.

You can choose how much its Johnny's story or Vs story. You can choose whether Johnny is a gift or a curse. You can never do anything Johnny wants to do. There is only a couple of memories of johnnies, and much present of V. Johnny has... the blowing of arasaka, and alts death, thats the only parts of Johnny story you have to deal with.

Last edited:
when you end the game they send you back to your save before attempting the ending, they add a couple special items you got while ending the game to your save.

you cannot avoid Johnny and experience most of the game, unless some one hacks it. I'm not sure why you hate a character you haven't even interacted with yet though. He can be a villain or a friend depending on how you interact with him.
Post automatically merged:

You can choose how much its Johnny's story or Vs story. You can choose whether Johnny is a gift or a curse. You can never do anything Johnny wants to do. There is only a couple of memories of johnnies, and much present of V. Johnny has... the blowing of arasaka, and alts death, thats the only parts of Johnny story you have to deal with.
It is not about V. The story is about the chip in your head(Johnny) and as many times you are knocked down from issues with the relic malfunctioning is a reminder of that. You can headcannon and believe it is about V all you want but it isn't.

It is not about V. The story is about the chip in your head(Johnny) and as many times you are knocked down from issues with the relic malfunctioning is a reminder of that. You can headcannon and believe it is about V all you want but it isn't.

first of all, RP is about headcannon, thats actually the premise. I guess what you are saying is you wanted another narrative story, more focused on a character they wrote named V. Something more like the witcher, where you play out another character's story.

Basically since they decided that V is mostly a player created charachter, V's story is mostly told through the players responses, choices, and yes headcannon. There are the events that happened, and V/the player chooses V's motivations, character arc and how V feels about things.

I personally wish they did even more of this, rather than less. More optional quests that tie into the ending path, more choices for how V talks and mannerisms. More options on who to align with. But I recognize thats probably too much since this was basically the most they could achieve in 4-8 years with their budget.

But some other people probably want, like you a more focused narrative on a merc named V instead of a more open one where V is left up to the player's imagination

The only thing CDPR got right when it came to making this an RPG was this element with Johnny...

He's always in your head, and always looking at what you're looking at, and his personality means he doesn't give a shit most of the time unless it comes to something that goes with his "F*ck the System, burn Corpo Trash" mentality.

So those off comments now and then on missions throughout the game whether they're Side-Jobs or main Jobs, are just his personality being existent in V's head.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I do like how some have suggested that we get the chance to save Jackie and that we don't insert the chip into us (@Mifa0_0) and how OP suggested that we have the choice to take the Omega Blockers, maybe even through the inventory system, they're an actual Item you can take/use throughout the game as much as you want. Though on the other hand if that'd be the case then they'd also have to allow V (the player) to take Pseudoendotrizine whenever they want, though maybe then it'd lead to some scripted events where Johnny takes over and if you take too many then Johnny ends up doing his own thing, possibly forever, OR that he tries really hard to convince V to STOP taking the Pseudoendotrizine (though TBH, he probably wouldn't really try that hard since he's all about everyone having autonomy for themselves and if it's V's choice to take Pseudoendotrizine then, hell, he'll let V take them).

All in all, the addition of Johnny throughout the game (for me) is a really accepted one. I rather enjoy what his character has to say and what his relationship turns into with my V. That being said, I have found myself going "shut... up...." every now and then but only because of some of the things he says is really annoying and useless other than a snide comment, but THAT IS as realistic as it could be TBH. Someone, without any inhibitions, living inside your mind, commenting on whatever they want... whenever they want... made me actually enjoy his character more because that's who Johnny Silverhand is.

first of all, RP is about headcannon, thats actually the premise. I guess what you are saying is you wanted another narrative story, more focused on a character they wrote named V. Something more like the witcher, where you play out another character's story.

Basically since they decided that V is mostly a player created charachter, V's story is mostly told through the players responses, choices, and yes headcannon. There are the events that happened, and V/the player chooses V's motivations, character arc and how V feels about things.

I personally wish they did even more of this, rather than less. More optional quests that tie into the ending path, more choices for how V talks and mannerisms. More options on who to align with. But I recognize thats probably too much since this was basically the most they could achieve in 4-8 years with their budget.

But some other people probably want, like you a more focused narrative on a merc named V instead of a more open one where V is left up to the player's imagination
RPGs are about choices and how those choices matter. This is not the game we were given or promised. Maybe we have different ideas of what an RPG is. In my mind this game is not an RPG but an action adventure. Action adventure is what you are describing.

Yes, this is exactly it! I understand getting Keanu is a big thing for a game but he was used in a way that adds little while distracting and irritating much.

Top Bottom