Patch 4.04 - new features, new bugs

+
One minute into this new patch was enough to find a bug. And not just a bug - a bug related to the new feature of selecting potions and oils from radial menu.

image1.png

Excuse me, but what I need to [HOLD] here?

Now let me tell you what is going on. Before the patch, you could only use potions from that HUD element, so when you actually had things equipped, the game was showing both the equipped potion and the corresponding hotkey to drink it. Now you can also equip a potion into any of those slots if you hold that same hotkey... but the programmer in charge forgot that the logic exists, so no equipped potions - no hotkey hints. OK, for potions it's kinda not that huge of a deal, because you can still equip them from the inventory and since then the hint becomes visible. But what with the oils? There are no slots for oils in the inventory and no new hotkeys defined in the menu (those bindings are hardcoded), so no ways to learn what to [HOLD] here for a regular gamer apart from button-mashing. Ah, you need to apply some oil manually (because it's actually applying and not equipping - the hint text is misleading here) and now it works (until the oil runs out)... OMG... There is never a second chance for the first impression, remember this. And the first impression of this feature on KB&M is awful.

Now look at this.

image2.png

The story becomes quite obvious. The programmer in charge was developing and testing the system for controllers first. Then added a code for KB&M and quickly switched to check if it works. Since potions and oils were already equipped from the previous controller test, there was no issue displaying the keys. And here we are. No proper testing was done, though, it was such a simple thing that should have been discovered by a dedicated PC QA tester in a first minute of loading a save.

A huge AAA company which is still making money from this game is using one programmer to do all the work with no testing. Funny when you think about it, especially considering how proud they are about their "unique" approach to making games.

Now, dear CDPR! Open the corresponding redswf for the ItemInfo HUD module and remove the "if item icon is valid" check that blocks the button hint. Also open hudModuleItemInfo.ws and replace lines 430 and 431 with the ones similar to lines 511 and 512. Or, if you don't have access to that redswf anymore, add an empty icon and set a path to it in the line 426 (because the internal redswf condition depends on the icon path existing).

I am probably harsh, but here I have right to be. I am no longer interested in the game, but I have mods to maintain. For free. Because people message me and ask. TBH, the new feature for selecting oils and potions you've added is clunky and on PC we've got much better solutions from mods. So it's useless to PC players, sorry again for being blunt. I am summoned back into the game to update my mods for the new patch. And I see this. It's a stupid rookie mistake, I can give a pass on it to an indie developer working alone on a big project not having sleep at nights and forgetting to test a simple case of a clean inventory. But here - no. It's not acceptable. Even if this bug is not critical, it is still a very much noticeable bug in a new feature you were advertising as an improvement to the game. What it shows here is a picture of your actual attitude and your "concern" for the players: dear CDPR, you don't care.

PS It was just the first few minutes into this new patch. What will happen after looking further?

Last edited:
Top Bottom