Pathtracing in 2.0 looks worse than in 1.63, and it appears the reduced soft bloom is the cause

+
Here is a video where I go through example pictures of 1.63 and the same location in 2.0

Video:

Suggestion for devs:
  • Please reintroduce the soft wide bloom as it was in 1.63
  • Or make this a setting in graphics so we can use it if we want

Please consider these example images. The first is 1.63, the second is 2.0:

• Notice in the area where the white green light bloom mixes with the purple bloom (with the tree down the alley being behind it). Notice the beautiful plasticity of the light.
  • Then compare with the picture below

colorful1_163.png
colorful1_200.png

Second example: first picture is 1.63

• Notice the soft and wide bloom cast by the red light that softly envelops the scene.
  • Without that wide (and soft) bloom, the path traced lighting (in picture 2) just looks like a baked lightmap.
redpalm2_163.png
redpalm2_200.png

pod_163.png
pod_200.png

Yes dude, please let us get back the 1.63 pathtracing settings, just give us another raytracing preset to choose from. x) Also, as mentioned i'll drop these here:

1.63:

Judy 1.63 3.png

2.0:

Judy 2.0 3.png

1.63 without pathtracing:

Judy 1.63 3 no PT.png

Honestly tho, after comparing these two, I've to say, the new look in 2.0 is quite charming as well. The way the aquarium is decently lit, as well as the pillow on the couch in the back. Perhaps a mix between both worlds is possible?

Last edited:
Yes dude, please let us get back the 1.63 pathtracing settings, just give us another raytracing preset to choose from. x) Also, as mentioned i'll drop these here:

1.63:

View attachment 11363437

2.0:

View attachment 11363440

1.63 without pathtracing:

View attachment 11363449

Honestly tho, after comparing these two, I've to say, the new look in 2.0 is quite charming as well. The way the aquarium is decently lit, as well as the pillow on the couch in the back. Perhaps a mix between both worlds is possible?
You can see that strong bloom on the floor from the aquarium reflection is gone in 2.0, I think this is the ray reconstruction treating soft bloom as an irritation it wants to "denoise", and I think is too agressive

Top Bottom