Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Yuikami :)
The pefect therapy against Facebook games is Facebook games themselves. I mean, you'll get bore of them very very soon. Believe me. :)

secondchildren said:
Don't worry Yuikami :)
The pefect therapy against Facebook games is Facebook games themselves. I mean, you'll get bore of them very very soon. Believe me. :)

I hope so T-T I've been playing Pet Society for three years and I still can't stop it...
The Sims Social is worst cause the game can actually be played for 24/7 for items always generate even without having to wait for energy... I've been playing 3 days straight with only 3 hours sleep each x_x... halp...

yuikami said:
I hope so T-T I've been playing Pet Society for three years and I still can't stop it...
The Sims Social is worst cause the game can actually be played for 24/7 for items always generate even without having to wait for energy... I've been playing 3 days straight with only 3 hours sleep each x_x... halp...
Oh....ok. maybe you need help

Dona said:
Exactly. I will always support indie developers, but the price is high for such a game. 5 euros or less is what I'd be willing to pay.

Indie games are awesome! But yeeeah... sometimes their length/cost ratio is not that good.

Dona said:
I really need to play Machinarium... I have it installed, wish I could play five games at the same time, lol. Braid was fantastic and Yet It Moves is plain weird. Have you played Samorost 2? It's super short, but beautiful.

I bought Machinarium a while ago on Steam and now re-bought it with the Indie Bundle, heh. It's truly wonderful, at least for me since I grew up with graphical adventures. Yeah, I played Samorost and that's why I bought Machinarium!

Dona said:
LOL, Skyrim. I have been over Bethesda since that abomination called Oblivion - nice graphics do not a good game make :|

I bought Oblivion GOTY edition from Steam for only $8.60 on sale, a great price actually. It was fun at first, but gets old before hitting the 100 hours mark (too low considering some people spent hundreds of hours in it). Exploring is fun *some times*, quests are fun but inconsequential and extemely linear, but I liked the puzzle solving which kind of reminded me of Myst, except way easier. The main problem is combat: it's completely hack-and-slash, and there's too much of it everytime you explore a cave/dungeon/ruin/fort. It's all the same, dungeon crawl/kill/loot/sell. Pretty tedious for such an "award winning" franchise. I like the concept but it was poorly executed.

Dona said:
Well, course they all appear to be "cool" which is fine by me but it better have some internals to back up that cool factor. Which I'll find out. Should be interesting anyway.

The thing is, for an RPG, Oblivion was too much of an action game. If it had been marketed as a sand-box fantasy action game with role-playing elements, it would be different. That's how I saw Mass Effect 2 (action with RPG elements) and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. But seriously, RPG? Far from it. Both.

Nowadays people call RPG anything with character stats and unlockable talents/skills.

I am pretty interested in Skyrim, it looks pretty awesome but I'm just afraid it will be more of the same. Since you'll be playing it by release I look forward to your feedback and comments :)

volsung84 said:
I bought Oblivion GOTY edition from Steam for only $8.60 on sale, a great price actually. It was fun at first, but gets old before hitting the 100 hours mark (too low considering some people spent hundreds of hours in it). Exploring is fun *some times*, quests are fun but inconsequential and extemely linear, but I liked the puzzle solving which kind of reminded me of Myst, except way easier. The main problem is combat: it's completely hack-and-slash, and there's too much of it everytime you explore a cave/dungeon/ruin/fort. It's all the same, dungeon crawl/kill/loot/sell. Pretty tedious for such an "award winning" franchise. I like the concept but it was poorly executed.

I played Oblivion as soon as it came out, expecting a great experience similar to Morrowind (that I spent two years playing with only one character - it's probably a game I played the most in my life), but it was a huge let-down. I had to quit it after a few hours, there was nothing about it that I liked and it succeeded in giving me motion sickness, something I never get from 3rd person games. It was such a huge step down from Morrowind and yet people keep praising it... it got a lot of press because of advanced graphics (I think it was the most demanding game in the moment it came out), just as Skyrim is getting right now. I may give it another shot at some point, but I cannot forget the bitter taste it left the first time I (tried) playing it.

Dona said:
I played Oblivion as soon as it came out, expecting a great experience similar to Morrowind (that I spent two years playing with only one character - it's probably a game I played the most in my life), but it was a huge let-down. I had to quit it after a few hours, there was nothing about it that I liked and it succeeded in giving me motion sickness, something I never get from 3rd person games. It was such a huge step down from Morrowind and yet people keep praising it... it got a lot of press because of advanced graphics (I think it was the most demanding game in the moment it came out), just as Skyrim is getting right now. I may give it another shot at some point, but I cannot forget the bitter taste it left the first time I (tried) playing it.

You are right, but I wonder why people keep falling for graphics?

People pay too much attention to graphics. I didn't have a problem enjoying games back then and I don't care about particularly "demanding" graphics now either. A good book doesn't need any graphics at all, for example.

Honestly, from what footage I've seen from Skyrim, I am not impressed. I saw that Quakecon demo that actually looked like an extended, live version of the footage we'd already seen, and I can't say I'm impressed. Sure the visuals look better, but it's been 5 years since Oblivion, of course they will look better!! Now, I have to give them credit for X360 graphics, but I can't see it looking better than The Witcher 2 on PC.

I just feel the current generation of hardware has produced a graphics hype. A game that is poorly optimized can be really demanding and that doesn't mean it's good. Or you can have very "realistic" looking graphics but they can be dull and boring.

Honestly, some old-school sprite based games have more beautiful visuals than many modern games.

That said, I can expect a lot of Skyrim sales from TES fans but it will take a lot more than graphics and "epic dragon battles" to really impress a lot of people (like you and me I suppose).

I know, it boggles my mind. People are drawn to what's aesthetically beautiful, it's natural I guess, but I cannot wrap my head around how modern games survive on "well, it has pretty graphics" type of marketing. For me, graphics are just a bonus. The main reason I play are the stories, the characters and (since my 'main' genre are graphic adventures) puzzles. Gameplay comes second (I can deal with crappy controls if the story is worth it) and then everything else.

It is interesting to see how many people buy into this illusion of beauty. The reflections in the spectacles of a character in this shiny new FPS look soooo realistic - so what? I just fail to see the appeal, yet fanboys won't stop yapping about it. At this point, it's a game of "whose is bigger and better" and I don't mean it in a good way. We are still riding on the novelty of modern technology, it's not just games, it's pretty much everything else. Does every movie benefit from being 3D? No. Does a studio cash in more if it's 3D? Yes. Again, bling sells. I wonder if we'll ever get tired of this shiny vanity and go back to some deeper values.

Dona said:
I know, it boggles my mind. People are drawn to what's aesthetically beautiful, it's natural I guess, but I cannot wrap my head around how modern games survive on "well, it has pretty graphics" type of marketing. For me, graphics are just a bonus. The main reason I play are the stories, the characters and (since my 'main' genre are graphic adventures) puzzles. Gameplay comes second (I can deal with crappy controls if the story is worth it) and then everything else.

It is interesting to see how many people buy into this illusion of beauty. The reflections in the spectacles of a character in this shiny new FPS look soooo realistic - so what? I just fail to see the appeal, yet fanboys won't stop yapping about it. At this point, it's a game of "whose is bigger and better" and I don't mean it in a good way. We are still riding on the novelty of modern technology, it's not just games, it's pretty much everything else. Does every movie benefit from being 3D? No. Does a studio cash in more if it's 3D? Yes. Again, bling sells. I wonder if we'll ever get tired of this shiny vanity and go back to some deeper values.

Well, some modern games have advanced graphics from a technical perspective, yet they are not aesthetically impressive in the least. That's part of why TW2 is so beautiful, it has both.

This applies, as you said, to movies and propably everything else out there at the moment. Isn't that why people wear jewels? Because they're shiny and "cool" looking, even though they are stones.

volsung84 said:
Well, some modern games have advanced graphics from a technical perspective, yet they are not aesthetically impressive in the least. That's part of why TW2 is so beautiful, it has both.

This applies, as you said, to movies and propably everything else out there at the moment. Isn't that why people wear jewels? Because they're shiny and "cool" looking, even though they are stones.

Yeah, but the purpose of jewelry is to look cool (some of it is valuable, even). I'm okay with movies that are marketed as what they are, a two hour long presentation of the latest achievement in visual technology. But I've always felt video games should be more than that. So many games are successful because people buy into "next gen graphics" crap, regardless of whether they have more to offer or not.

You are right, advanced graphics do not mean a game is aesthetically pleasing. Art direction is incredibly important; you can have the most advanced technology in the world and still end up with a big pile of boring environments if the artists are not up to the task. Luckily, CDPR has some of the best. Bartek Gawel's artwork blows my mind every time D:

Dona said:
Yeah, but the purpose of jewelry is to look cool (some of it is valuable, even)

But jewelry is "valuable" only because people give it value. Because "precious" gems are scarce and "shiny", people want them and high demand makes them cost a lot of money. But they are just rocks. Some precious metals are actually important for other reasons, if they are superconductors or whatever. But my point is: give an ape (like a homo sapiens) a shiny stone, and he will go crazy for it. Give a gaming ape shiny graphics, and he will drool over it and call it Game of the Year, regardless of other good/bad features.

I would like to think most of us here have gone beyond that stage and can appreciate fine details. Like you, I also expect a lot more than graphics from games, but it's hard to make great games when you have to cater to people drooling over shiny nonsense.

Not to be rude but... if you watched the Quakecon footage of Skyrim, could you hear the audience roaring whenever the guy walked, killed a wild creature, did whatever? Yeah... impressive stuff...

I kinda don't get the Skyrim excitement, too. Yes, the graphic is nice and SHINNNYYYY GUUUUDDDDD +(*0*)
But when I heard they say things about Dragons being killed for power I was like "uhhh?...". They can have the best graphic in the history of gaming but if it's repetitive and boring, it's boring.
(Same reason why I went to see Transformet3's transforming robots and bombs then came back biatching about how sucky the movie's story is for a whole week.)

There are some people who're into story telling like me though. Something like Divine Divinity (ONE! THE FIRST ONE!! BURN THE SECOND!!) can keep me playing for a long time. The game with good story can have a sucky system and still be addictive.

.... except The Sims Social... I still don't understand why I can't stop playing it...

yuikami said:
I kinda don't get the Skyrim excitement, too. Yes, the graphic is nice and SHINNNYYYY GUUUUDDDDD +(*0*)
But when I heard they say things about Dragons being killed for power I was like "uhhh?...". They can have the best graphic in the history of gaming but if it's repetitive and boring, it's boring.

But that's the thing. Even graphically, it looks like an enhanced Oblivion. The character models are way better, but that doesn't say much ;) Seriously, there are some HIDEOUS people in Cyrodiil.

yuikami said:
.... except The Sims Social... I still don't understand why I can't stop playing it...

It's all part of the plan. First you become addicted to The Sims Social, then you enlist the army to take over the world.

volsung84 said:
it's all part of the plan. First you become addicted to the sims social, then you enlist the army to take over the world.

noesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss~!!!! D8

yuikami said:

The Sims are the devil! I used to be slightly obsessed with Sims 2, I had gigabytes upon gigabytes of custom content... and it was such a waste of time. I'd spend a whole day making 'pretty' characters and decorating their homes. Stupid, mindless, addictive game D:

Dona said:
The Sims are the devil! I used to be slightly obsessed with Sims 2, I had gigabytes upon gigabytes of custom content... and it was such a waste of time. I'd spend a whole day making 'pretty' characters and decorating their homes. Stupid, mindless, addictive game D:

IKR! It's so bad specially The Sims3! The game got too complicate, super complicate but the character can turn out rweally beautifully. I uninstalled mine after a week 'cause I couldn't stand the lag and loading after I DLed gigs of custom content x_x\ Over all I kinda like the first one the most xD Simple but rlly good... and addictive... OTL

I just found out about this one... hopefully it won't turn out to be boring like Spore after few days of playing o-o From Dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSOQGazo7Oo

Dona said:
I heard From Dust gets repetitive really fast, so be careful!

And I just found this amazing tumblr - Sims gone wrong. http://simsgonewrong.tumblr.com

Great site!! LOL at the cooking ghost!!

my child sim grew looking like this.. i kicked her out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom