Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing TES: Oblivion and got bored of it after maybe...70 hours, so I replayed The Witcher 2 once again and it was amazing :)

I'll have to force myself to finish the main quest. It's a fun game but oblivion gates get so repetitive...

I feel like going back to DA:O or even TW1 which I played again recently. I also have an unopened Final Fantasy IV, the remake, for the DS, so that shall be fun too.

I was planning on not buying anymore games until Batman: Arkham City but now I'm not even sure about that one, GFWL ruined it for me.

volsung84 said:
I also have an unopened Final Fantasy IV, the remake, for the DS, so that shall be fun too.

I had that version of FFIV. It's fun, and the little "3D" models are cute renditions of the old sprites, but be warned that the DS version has relatively difficult combat. You may find yourself grinding more than you would have expected.

kyogen said:
I had that version of FFIV. It's fun, and the little "3D" models are cute renditions of the old sprites, but be warned that the DS version has relatively difficult combat. You may find yourself grinding more than you would have expected.

Ah... thanks for the warning. I doubt it has more grinding than Oblivion though ;) Or to name another DS game, Disgaea.

That's really why I bought a DSi, to play all these old-school platformers and turn-based strategy and RPGs.

Speaking of turn-based strategy, may I recommend something? Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is one of my favorite DS games, very old-schoolish and entertaining. They released an HD version with hand-drawn graphics (instead of sprites) on XBLA and PSN, and now it will be available on Steam. So if any of you likes turn-based puzzle/strategy and Might&Magic or similar fantasy settings, GO FOR IT!

The other games on my PC are

Mass Effect II
Dragon Age Origins
Hearts of Iron II
Plants vs. Zombies

I like strategy games, rpgs, and fps games, but gave up fps games because 99% of people who play them on the internet are dim witted, lawless, and borderline illiterate.

volsung84 said:
Ah... thanks for the warning. I doubt it has more grinding than Oblivion though ;) Or to name another DS game, Disgaea.

Disgaea is a rlly good game! I've been playing that since PS2! They should just put all the game in that series including Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and Prinny together into big pack on fun! xD

volsung84 said:
Speaking of turn-based strategy, may I recommend something? Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is one of my favorite DS games, very old-schoolish and entertaining. They released an HD version with hand-drawn graphics (instead of sprites) on XBLA and PSN, and now it will be available on Steam. So if any of you likes turn-based puzzle/strategy and Might&Magic or similar fantasy settings, GO FOR IT!

Bunch of my friends are playing this game on XBL. Is it really that fun? I might have to try the demo then.

I was playing Assassin's Creed II a while back until my Xbox red ring of deathed me so instead I'm now obsessing over Heroes of Might and Magic VI that SHOULD be coming out on October the 13th now.

Sheylia said:
I was playing Assassin's Creed II a while back until my Xbox red ring of deathed me so instead I'm now obsessing over Heroes of Might and Magic VI that SHOULD be coming out on October the 13th now.
I also downloaded the Heroes VI demo but was a bit disappointed (no proper town view?!). I should go back to it asap, maybe if I give it another try, I might come to like it more.

MM360 said:
Bunch of my friends are playing this game on XBL. Is it really that fun? I might have to try the demo then.

Well, personally I loved it! It has been mislabeled as an RPG but please disregard that. It's basically a strategy game with limited exploration, you gather resources from chests and unlock stronger or "elite" units as you play. You lead an army comprised of different kinds of units. Battles are a puzzle game setup in a grid, and they are very, very tactical: success depends on smart moves and understanding the charge times of each unit to link/fuse/charge them, plan ahead of turns, etc.

The story is narrated using still pictures and written dialogue. It's not a grand tale but it is plenty good, and even takes an interesting twist. The factions are those known in M&M games: elves, griffin empire, undead, demons, mages. You get to use them in sequence, like playing the campaign of any strategy game.

So yes, play the demo! However be aware that, according to a friend who plays it on PSN, whatever you advance in the demo will not count towards the full game (if you decide to get it), so you'll have to start over. I already played it on the DS but may get it again for the PC, since it will be "HD" ;)

MM360 said:
Disgaea is a rlly good game! I've been playing that since PS2! They should just put all the game in that series including Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and Prinny together into big pack on fun! xD

Yeah, Disgaea was surprisingly entertaining and funny! Only thing that I disliked was the insane amount of level grinding.

MM360 said:
I also downloaded the Heroes VI demo but was a bit disappointed (no proper town view?!). I should go back to it asap, maybe if I give it another try, I might come to like it more.

I was somewhat interested in that game. Care to give us your impressions when you go back to it?

siklara said:

Yes I do remember the older games would take you straight into the town where you could see the actual buildings and the town in general grow, I loved that quite a bit but I didn't see it in the trailers / gameplay videos indeed. :(

volsung84 said:
Yeah, Disgaea was surprisingly entertaining and funny! Only thing that I disliked was the insane amount of level grinding.

Super! and the weapon leveling thing is paintful... x_x

yuikami said:
Super! and the weapon leveling thing is paintful... x_x

Yeah, seriously. Hell is item world. Soon they'll probably have people leveling up their underwear.

volsung84 said:
Yeah, seriously. Hell is item world. Soon they'll probably have people leveling up their underwear.
LOL!!! I got very lazy about it too, what I did was turning it into puzzle game and find a way for my people to throw someone into the portal of the stage just to skip the whole battle. To hell with the monsters XD!!

I just got God Of War HD collection... never played the originals so it might occupy me for some time.

Bastion is not bad and I really want to try Deus Ex Human Revolution... seems awesome like a Ghost In The Shell movie.

Redgarl said:
I just got God Of War HD collection... never played the originals so it might occupy me for some time.
Oh yea! enjoy it :D

Bastion is not bad and I really want to try Deus Ex Human Revolution... seems awesome like a Ghost In The Shell movie.
Ghost in the Shell? Nah.... it's vintage now. DE is new tech (or I guess so). Doubt it it will be so similar to the first one. That was pure cyberpunk, Blade Runner style :)

volsung84 said:
I was somewhat interested in that game. Care to give us your impressions when you go back to it?
Sure. Though I still haven't played enough to give a solid opinion, based on my first impressions I think this will be a good sequel. I don't know whether you played the previous games, but I love Heroes 2-3 and when I first tried this demo, I couldn't help but compare it to Heroes 3, my favorite of the series. After getting rid of the nostalgia googles I realized that Heroes 6 is not bad after all. Looking at some screenshots made me realize that Heroes 5 - the only Heroes game I almost completely skipped - is very similar to it.

The demo is quite large, you can play two campaigns missions, try out the multiplayer and in skirmish mode play the following factions:

- Haven
- Inferno
- Necropolis
- Stronghold
- Sanctuary

If you're interested in details, you might want to skim through this thread.

I'm playing with Sanctuary, hoping that it's something completely new and not the equivalent of good ol' Rampart. The new creatures are quite unique, but it's weird that my hero's a samurai and units have Japanese names like kappa or mizu kami. The gameplay is very similar to the previous games so it's easy to get the hang of things, you just have to get used to the layout and the new look of buildings, mines etc. On my first try I ran out of ore because I couldn't find the ore pit standing right next to my town. :p
The game has nice, colorful graphics and the controls are simple, the only thing that still bothers me is the lack of town view (whenever you enter your town, a window pops up showing a generic animation). Battles also feel somewhat slow to me, but perhaps it's only because my hero's still a weakling with a small army.

All in all, now I'm looking forward to the full game. :)

Finishing up a dwarf (holy crap the little dude can barney) playthrough of Severance: Blade of Darkness. Fantastic immersive atmosphere and still the best fighting system i've ever played. Shame there's no real depth to it.

My friend told me he regrets buying Deux Ex, normally I wouldn't care but since he is veteran gamer and I dont want to ask why for spoilers I will wait for some price drop/sale before I touch it. btw I dont read/watch reviews before I play any game.

I'm playing Torchlight and loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom