"Price of Power" Expansion Set Officially Revealed!

+
Hmm. I'm not sure if it's a funeral rite. The fact that she's carrying a sheaf of wheat, and is clad in white, suggests she is herself an offering. At a guess, I'd say she's a sacrifice to the Sea, symbolically its 'bride', intended to keep favourable relations with the deep, so that the long-ships may fare in safety over the waters.

Hmm. I'm not sure if it's a funeral rite. The fact that she's carrying a sheaf of wheat, and is clad in white, suggests she is herself an offering. At a guess, I'd say she's a sacrifice to the Sea, symbolically its 'bride', intended to keep favourable relations with the deep, so that the long-ships may fare in safety over the waters.
Pretty sure that's exactly what it is.

But still, she gonna die for no reason, right? :)

The last card is Melusine Cultist, and Melusine is the ekhidna I mentioned. So, the girl is almost certainly a cult sacrifice then.
The card is not fully revealed still, from what I saw, but the name was.

1622737575692.png

Trivia: Melusine appears in a 14th-century French legend, attached to the founding of the house of Lusignan. She was a fairy woman, condemned by her mother to take the shape of a serpent, or dragon, from the waist down, each Saturday, until she could marry a man who would respect her interdiction never to visit her on that day. A nobleman wed her, under this condition, and they had several unusual children together. However, curiosity and doubts of his wife's faithfulness prompted the man to spy upon Melusine. By breaking his word, the nobleman caused his wife to flee, and, in time, become a monstrous spectre, 'the White Lady', who would appear at times, presaging the death of members of the Lusignan family.

I still think that, too, but am not sure anymore.

She has the Cultist tag, and Skellige definitely might have some cult where young women are sacrificed to the sea or something living in/associated with the sea. We know, also from Witcher 3, that there was a cult worshipping an ekhidna (siren), so who knows what else exists. :D
A sacrifice is a sacrifice at the end of the day I'm afraid :D

Bride of the Sea
Keeping an eye on Forest protector (5 body 11 provisions, play a bronze nature acard from your graveyard) shows incidence that this card is a bit overpowered (1 less body, but 3 less provisions). Her deploy is at least comparable as she has a floor of 4 provisions cards but combined with the leader Rage of the Sea can easily target 6 provision gold alchemy cards like Delirium or Gigascorpion Decotion.

Synergies: Druids via Scenario, Crow Clan Preacher, Weather
Drawbacks: Vulnerable to graveyard attacks but to my mind kind of stable

Melusine Cultist
Also this card has a counterpart Naglfar's Crew (2 less body, same provisions, focus on frost, no upside potential boost adjacent units). Maybe a wild hunt deck focuses more on frost than a Druid Rain/Storm deck on weather which might be an explanation for the difference. Also the order disadantage may explain that difference which is really a huge downside.

Synergies: Druids via Scenario, Rain, Storm
Drawbacks: SK does not really benefit from boosted units but maybe he can protect engine cards like
Fulmar

Last edited:
melusine cultist its a 9 for 5 (with some conditions, condition 1 easyly target - must have 2 units in the oposite row. Second condition, easyli target aswell, must have one unit at his right).

So devs doesnt know why some cards turned obsolete. Come on, every single expansion the devs give us more and more points for the same provision from other cards.

melusine cultist its a 9 for 5 (with some conditions, condition 1 easyly target - must have 2 units in the oposite row. Second condition, easyli target aswell, must have one unit at his right).

So devs doesnt know why some cards turned obsolete. Come on, every single expansion the devs give us more and more points for the same provision from other cards.
Rain is by far the worst Weather though. Rain is notorious for hitting Shields and Armor and majorly going down in value that way.
Furthermore, unless you already have Rain, this trades against anything that can kill a 3pt unit with 1 Armor (like Junior's Fee, Professor, Gutting Slash, Rebuke, Boiling Oil etc).
If you already have Rain you either use Tears of Siren (which also plays for 2 turns of Rain, which can easily lose a lot of value) or use your high end Golds, which means that you either have to overextend your high end Golds or play this very hit and miss card in Round 3.

This is what powercreep is all about and is quite normal in games like this honestly. New cards need to be at least on level of the existing ones, possibly better (or at least open up/support new synergies).
The bad part was that up until lately, they did not revise these outdated/obsolete cards for a very long time. Since the last expansion though the tendency at revisiting and rebalancing old powercrept cards is definitely a step in the right direction.

As for the actual card here, the multiple conditions will require at least a small amount of setup. That, with rain being rain and a relatively weak effect, I believe it is perfectly fine.

He has an order + has to get some conditions, so it's not like a no-brain deploy card. The card seems ok at first glance.
Indeed. I like to compare all cards (no matter what their provision is) to SK's Bear Witcher (instant 8 for 5 for some super easy condition + it adds to your removal and synergies), Bear Witcher Mentor (with some easy set up can go to 10+ value) and Bear Witcher Adept (conditional 7 for 4 provisions + it keeps armoring up). As I consider these cards to be overtuned for their provision costs. And compared to those 3 cards, all of the cards we've seen so far are very benign thankfully.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I like these 2 SK cards revealed today, they're what i was asking for yesterday - cards that synergize with weather (rain/storm). Why? Because these effects arent as valuable, like its been said here already - they can hit armor, maybe only 1 unit on that row, etc. - so we needed cards that will get value from weather anyway, like the revamped ancient foglet (which i love).

Bride of the Sea
Keeping an eye on Forest protector (5 body 11 provisions, play a bronze nature acard from your graveyard) shows incidence that this card is a bit overpowered (1 less body, but 3 less provisions). Her deploy is at least comparable as she has a floor of 4 provisions cards but combined with the leader Rage of the Sea can easily target 6 provision gold alchemy cards like Delirium or Gigascorpion Decotion.

Synergies: Druids via Scenario, Crow Clan Preacher, Weather
Drawbacks: Vulnerable to graveyard attacks but to my mind kind of stable
I also think that, compared to Forest Protector, she is a bit under costed. FP realistically only has 2 possible options for bronze nature cards: 1st Nature's Rebuke and 2nd Dryad's Caress (but if you have to go for the 2nd option you're probably not in a good position). At most FP can play for 12 points and this includes a good 5 point hard removal from Nature's Rebuke, for 11 provisions.

Bride of the Sea has a much wider option of Alchemy cards she can play, and if she can play a Gigascorpion Decoction (requires a SLIGHT setup in the form of applying weather 1st but that shouldn't be a problem) it would be 10 points (including the awesome 6 points hard removal from Gigascorpion) for 8 provisions. So compared to FP you might say she should be 1 provision more.

BUT if you just compare her to all other existing 8 (and 9) provision cards... then you might just come to the conclusion that she's just fine and there rly isn't a specifically designated border that separates what a 8 prov card vs a 9 prov card should do.

My conclusion: I'd have honestly made her 9 provisions since she can actually play another Sigfrida's Rite. (!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom