PS4 Controller Button Prompts in Witcher 3

+
guys you can include the command directly in Steam, you don't have to add the game as non-steam game. Just open steam library, right click on the Witcher 3, click on Properties and click on "Set launch options" ...add the command there and it works. But it is still a bad solution in my opinion

Dear CDPR, please can you make Dualshock 4 support native again? From what I've read it used to work. Now it only works if we mod a system file and start the game with a dev command

Resurrecting this thread to suggest an option for changing controller prompts be added to the now updated version, if it's not already in.

It could be in the hidden.ini file, just a simple field that you change between 1 (Xbox) and 2 (DS4) Could be 3 (Switch) as well. It would be for XInput only, presumably. That way, CDPR don't have to add an in-game option but it's still easy to change.

Last edited:
A bump after the last update, see my post above. This is such a small update that many players will appreciate and there will no longer be any need for mods for DualShock 4 prompts.

Again, adding a field to the hidden.ini file would be enough. One field for changing XInput prompts to DualShock 4. Also, make sure that the "LockControlScheme" field works without issues, I don't know if the prompt lock is working completely (i.e. the prompts never switch if set to 1 or 2), I've read that it can still switch after repeated presses.

Last edited:
A bump after the last update, see my post above. This is such a small update that many players will appreciate and there will no longer be any need for mods for DualShock 4 prompts.

Again, adding a field to the hidden.ini file would be enough. One field for changing XInput prompts to DualShock 4. Also, make sure that the "LockControlScheme" field works without issues, I don't know if the prompt lock is working completely (i.e. the prompts never switch if set to 1 or 2), I've read that it can still switch after repeated presses.
Please send this directly into CDPR Support. I don't think any new control schemes will be added at this point, but I'm not seeing a lot of other complaints about PS4 controllers not working correctly.

Though, I would doubt any further support for cross-platform functionality will be forthcoming. You never know, though!

Please send this directly into CDPR Support. I don't think any new control schemes will be added at this point, but I'm not seeing a lot of other complaints about PS4 controllers not working correctly.

Though, I would doubt any further support for cross-platform functionality will be forthcoming. You never know, though!
I don't know if this is the kind of issue to send to technical support, but I'll try. This isn't actually concerning DualShock 4 support or new control schemes, it's about having the option to change to DS4 prompts for XInput or any controllers, so that you don't have to use mods. It's a simple option many games have these days (see here) and I was suggesting to just add it to the hidden.ini file for simplest possible implementation.

Last edited:
I also after the update I have has a problem with the shortening of the tablets I can not use it from ❌️⭕️🟥🔺️
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the assistance, but unfortunately this didn't work either :(
Post automatically merged:

I got a response from Support... their first response was:

"Hey,
Thank you for reaching us out.
Only Xbox gamepad for Windows is only supported controller by The Witcher 3.
Please note that Sony has yet to release official DualShock 4 drivers for Windows thus this controller is not officially supported by Windows.
Only available drivers are ones made by fans. Even Windows recognizes it as the Xbox controller not as a Sony DualShock 4 controller."

After I pointed out to them that even their release notes say that since patch 1.30 they support PS4 controllers and that windows does have drivers for PS4 controllers and recognises a PS4 controller as a PS4 controller with screen shots... they changed their response too:

"Hey,
Thank you for the reply.
I apologize for that, that's the information I found in our knowledge base article, it seems that it is outdated.
Regarding using the controller wirelessly.
Controllers were tested only in wired mode, therefore there might be issues when using them wirelessly. Thank you for your report.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused."

After asking them why they wouldn't test a controller that's designed to be used wirelessly, wirelessly and if there are any intentions of fixing the issue I got this response:

"Hey,
Thank you for the reply.
Currently I am not aware of any plans on update regarding this issue."

So yeah, it seems "so sad, too bad" we can't be bothered getting it right.... although that being said they didn't even know they supported it in the first place so I'm not certain how accurate this response is either.
How can I talk to them? I have a problem after updating. I can't do spell shortcuts

Last edited:
CDPR could just add new values (3/4) to "LockControlScheme" in hidden.ini as well. 3 to lock to DualShock 4 prompts with auto-switching to KB/M and 4 without auto-switching. They don't even need a new field.

I don't know if this is the kind of issue to send to technical support, but I'll try. This isn't actually concerning DualShock 4 support or new control schemes, it's about having the option to change to DS4 prompts for XInput or any controllers, so that you don't have to use mods. It's a simple option many games have these days (see here) and I was suggesting to just add it to the hidden.ini file for simplest possible implementation.
Anything you'd like to ask as far as official, vanilla gameplay needs to go directly to Tech Support. ("My controller is not being recognized by the game correctly," is definitely an official issue.)

If mods are involved, then there's nothing that CDPR Tech Support can help with. So, for example, asking for help with a modded game will not result in anything unless the problem can be confirmed on a vanilla installation under a new playthrough. (As always, players mod at their own risk.)

Since your issue seems to be inherent to the vanilla game and/or the platform you're using, that means that CDPR Tech Support should be the ones to contact. The game should be displaying XBox vs. Playstation prompts correctly on PC based on the type of controller used.

Anything you'd like to ask as far as official, vanilla gameplay needs to go directly to Tech Support. ("My controller is not being recognized by the game correctly," is definitely an official issue.)

If mods are involved, then there's nothing that CDPR Tech Support can help with. So, for example, asking for help with a modded game will not result in anything unless the problem can be confirmed on a vanilla installation under a new playthrough. (As always, players mod at their own risk.)

Since your issue seems to be inherent to the vanilla game and/or the platform you're using, that means that CDPR Tech Support should be the ones to contact. The game should be displaying XBox vs. Playstation prompts correctly on PC based on the type of controller used.
This is for changing prompts regardless of controller being used, not about certain controllers being read incorrectly. It's the actual option of manually changing controller prompts, but in the hidden.ini for easiest possible implementation. Didn't you check the link? I really don't know how to explain it any better.

This is for changing prompts regardless of controller being used, not about certain controllers being read incorrectly. It's the actual option of manually changing controller prompts, but in the hidden.ini for easiest possible implementation. Didn't you check the link? I really don't know how to explain it any better.
You can suggest it in the modding pages, here:

There are also plenty of existing mods of that sort for TW3 on the Nexus. Although, due to the recent update, the mods may need updating to work properly.

I don't know how likely it is for any major, official revisions to the HUD and control schemes at this point.

You can suggest it in the modding pages, here:

There are also plenty of existing mods of that sort for TW3 on the Nexus. Although, due to the recent update, the mods may need updating to work properly.

I don't know how likely it is for any major, official revisions to the HUD and control schemes at this point.
I know there are mods for it, of course, though I don't know how many of them work since the latest patch. I actually wrote "This is such a small update that many players will appreciate and there will no longer be any need for mods for DualShock 4 prompts" before.

What I'm suggesting is not an update to the HUD and/or control schemes per se, as the DS4 prompts are already in the game. I'm just asking for the option to manually change to the DS4 prompts, even when you're not using an official DS4.

I know there are mods for it, of course, though I don't know how many of them work since the latest patch. I actually wrote "This is such a small update that many players will appreciate and there will no longer be any need for mods for DualShock 4 prompts" before.

What I'm suggesting is not an update to the HUD and/or control schemes per se, as the DS4 prompts are already in the game. I'm just asking for the option to change to the DS4 prompts, even when you're not using an official DS4. It's a flag somewhere in the game that I'm asking for a way to set manually.
As I stated, I doubt anything of that sort will be introduced now. You can write Support directly about it, but my guess is the response will be something along the lines of, "We have no plans to implement such features." You never know, though. You can but ask.

As I stated, I doubt anything of that sort will be introduced now. You can write Support directly about it, but my guess is the response will be something along the lines of, "We have no plans to implement such features." You never know, though. You can but ask.
You were the one that suggested I write to support. I did and got the answer that they will look into it. I don't think it's a major change, it's just an extremely useful QoL thing.

I have the same problem using dualsense, the playstation buttons don't appear only if I use the cable, but I play on TV and I can't use cable because the PC is far away.

Top Bottom