PS4 (std, NOT the Pro) patch 1.50/1.51 frame rate stutters !

+
SigilFey;n9922131 said:
While your suggestions makes perfect sense, that's also not the way the marketplaces work, nor does it properly address the issue. Namely, most players on PS4 are not experiencing the issue. Even if there are a lot of reports, it's still a small percentage of players that have this problem, and seemingly to varying degrees.

But most importantly, rolling back a version and claiming it's an update could very much be viewed as "playing" the system. It would be hard to justify how this is a solution to the issue. I think it would introduce the notion that giving up and disguising a roll-back as a patch is always an option if a game is having problems. That might set a very bad precedent. (What happens once tends to happen again and again.)

Sounds like that might be bugging out a bit if it's occurring more than once per post. It was a necessary step to bring down the spam armies that invaded the land, set fire to the trees, and tried to eat all the hamsters. Either way, it's only for the first 10 posts. Be sure you read here if you haven't already. :) (If you think there may be an issue, send me more info via PM.)

Thanks for getting back to me, I also thought that would be a possibility, people looking at it like it would be playing the market. I understand the stigma, but taking a step back is not always loosing progress. Sometimes taking a step backwards is necessary to move forward...

You said most people on the PS4 are not experiencing issues but what about people with the PS4 Pro?

Alternatively which I am sure someone mentioned it is to give a choice on performance or visuals, having the options to change between the 2 possible patches/performance of the game (sort of like computers allow you to disable anti aliaising, anistroscopic filter, resolution, since the PS4 is basically a small computer), that would be progress indeed because that way we can, individually as the people who love the game and play it all the time, personalise the witcher experience to our individual tastes! True freedom ^^,

The game for me (on a brand new ps4 pro) gave me issues in Novigrad, I had the CD for Witcher 3 but without the HoS and BaW, I have installed it normally, then bought the expansion pass and downloaded all the updates from the internet, installed all the add-ons from the playstation store and once I got to Novigrad: the cutscenes were lagging, every so often the sound cracks or delays a bit during cutscenes, things sometimes dissapear on screen, I have played with different games and there is no issues. (keep in mind this happens for a split second but it is noticeable and then doesn't happen for a bit)

At the end of the day I'm glad you guys care and listen to the fans and try to improve things, the game is awesome and it's so complex, it's revolutionary! Amazing job in creating this.

I also understand that it might be easy for me to suggest these things but I can't imagine how hard and complex must be to code something of this beastly nature! :)

PS: Captcha seems to be working fine now!

Bravcra;n9922581 said:
Wait so are you guys going to fix it or not? Btw, when you said most of the players dont experience this issue is because when people finish the game, they dont tend to play it again.
likesilver;n9923221 said:
You said most people on the PS4 are not experiencing issues but what about people with the PS4 Pro?

Of course, the plan is to fix it, but I'm not even sure if the cause has been found yet. It occurs in various ways on both PS4 and PS4 Pro. Some players see micro-stutter every few seconds across the board. Some people get a huge FPS hit only in certain areas. Some people seem to lag out only during combat. There is no single bug, as far as I know. Many people rectified the issue by reinstalling the game. Some people rectified it by rebuilding the database. Some people had to reinstall then rebuild. Some people had to rebuild first, then reinstall. For many people...none of that had any effect.

It's also not a result of "people aren't playing so they're not seeing it". I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but it's all down do some obscure issue or series of issues. At first, CDPR could not re-create the issue on any of their own PS4 / Pro systems. Most people aren't seeing it simply because most people experience no performance issues. Personally, I can't begin to imagine what it could be.

likesilver;n9923221 said:
Alternatively which I am sure someone mentioned it is to give a choice on performance or visuals, having the options to change between the 2 possible patches/performance of the game (sort of like computers allow you to disable anti aliaising, anistroscopic filter, resolution, since the PS4 is basically a small computer), that would be progress indeed because that way we can, individually as the people who love the game and play it all the time, personalise the witcher experience to our individual tastes! True freedom ^^,

I'm honestly not sure why this isn't the case to begin with, but there must be some reason this is the case. I think it may be down to something in the way the PS4 OS works. I'm a PC guy; I can't really speak about the technical end of the consoles.

How about just reverting the Witcher 3 to previous patch ?

Regarding that CDPR can't recreate the issue in their labs - that's utter bollocks. I can recreate it on my and my collegue PS4 Pro anytime (fresh install, wiped whole PS4 Pro). So I just can't believe they can't do the same.
It's not that some people are not observing it - I bet everyone had this crash, it just most of players don't register on forum and don't complain here (I registered shortly after 1.50 due to above mentioned reasons).

OK, i tried the game more than once with that latest PS4 pro update.

I can say, the game is far from being unplayable as some people have stated on this thread and in a different similar one.

There is no doubt that the game doesn't run like it was running on Boost mode. Hands down!

With Boost mode, it runs at 30 fps or very close to that, even in heavy populated areas like Novigrad. End of story.

Now, with the latest patch that claims it did raised the graphics even further, (personally i can say for sure i can see any difference really) fps went down.

I'm running the game on a 1080p TV btw.

So heavy populated places like Novigrad and similar areas are suffering from fps inconsistency.

This time, it's not near 30 fps all the time, as it deeps at instances down to ~25fps for a sec and then up again to near 30.

Haven't encountered problems with vendor conversations and similar stuff though.

Also haven't encountered any CE error problems or freezes.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not...

And surprisingly the fan of my PS4 pro didn't went up either. Yeah no kidding.

Even so, i suggest CDPR to consider to make a patch that makes the game run at a steady 30fps, and not just ramping up the resolution to make the game look nicer.

The game looks as good as it gets. We need steady frame-rates not higher detail levels, because it seems (for better or worse) the PS4 pro can't handle such a load.

Now there are two options.

1) Play the game as it is, and hope to an graphical degradation where needed to keep the fps steady.

2) Without knowing if the previous 1.30 or 1.31 patch is compatible with the latest 1.50 patch, either re-installing the game but not update to the latest patch version, and hope that saves based on the latest patch can coexist with the game running at version 1.30/1.31 OR just start a new game, and play it with patch 1.31 that's included on the GOTY edition and just leave internet disabled. (Boost mode enabled)

However, those that doesn't have the GOTY edition are sold, because it's impossible to revert to the previous patch version, as the only available right now is the 1.50/1.51

And that this state, that's a problem because there are a lot of people out there without the GOTY edition.

Last edited:
As the moderator said, every player is experiencing a different problem on a different console. So in your case it might be playable and enjoyable but in other people s cases, it is just about unplayable with the frames drop, a multitude of freezes, and a most importantly, the constant lags in the dialogues.

Bravcra;n9941651 said:
As the moderator said, every player is experiencing a different problem on a different console. So in your case it might be playable and enjoyable but in other people s cases, it is just about unplayable with the frames drop, a multitude of freezes, and a most importantly, the constant lags in the dialogues.

Yeah, and that's a BIG problem.

It would be much easier for the devs., if all had the same or equal problems with the latest patch.

Anyway, if a future patch doesn't solve the fps problem (here and there) on the PS4 Pro, my second walk-though will be with the stock patch of the G.O.T.Y. edition.

At least, i can enable BOOST most and enjoy the game with more stable frame-rates regardless the situation.

Or who knows, maybe CDPR makes it much better with a future patch. We should wait and see...

So, good luck to all of us! ;)

Here are some things that are (mostly) confirmed at this point. I hesitate to sound 100% sure about pretty much anything, but all of the evidence points to the following:

1.) Inventory Lag / Crashes -- Suffering from nutsy lag when in inventory or trade screens. This is 100% confirmed to occur if inventory becomes overloaded and/or stays that way for a long period of time. It is preventable but is not "fixable" once it occurs. Players can attempt to sell off inventory when they start to experience lag, but in extreme cases, even highlighting borked items may crash the game. The prevention is very simple: don't horde items. I've found that keeping ~20 of everything on-hand and selling the rest allows me to upgrade pretty freely. Anything I don't have, I have plenty of coin to purchase...and I'm still ridiculously wealthy by level 40 or so. Alternatively, dump stuff in your stash on a regular basis if you absolutely must keep things. Especially important -- don't horde runestones / glyphs ever. There is a unique bug with these that can ruin your day pretty quickly. Plus, these can be sold off for a small fortune, so if you don't have an immediate use for a runsetone / glyph, sell it ASAP. If you have more than a handful of each, you're in danger of encountering this "runestone bomb".

2.) Data Corruption -- Tends to happen when something in the installation is wonky. Repairing / reinstalling the game may be the only solution for this. It's also possible that rebuilding the database through the PS4 menu options can help. This is harder to identify and troubleshoot, as it can be very user-specific. It's mostly caused by package loss / corruption during downloads, and may be impossible work around. Uninstallin then reinstalling the game fresh and beginning a new game might be the only solution to this.

3.) Save-State Issues -- If you are presently playing a game that was begun under an older version, then went through several updates over time, it's possible that your present save-state (the records of all of the variables in the game unique to your specific playthrough of the game), has encountered an exclusive issue that is leaving something loaded in RAM that cannot be resolved. Again, this is user-specific and might be impossible to identify with any form of certainty. This can result in any range of performance issues / broken quests (likely as a side effect rather than a direct result of the issue). Uninstall, reinstall, and beginning a new game may be the only option.

4.) PS4 Configuration -- While all PS4s are supposedly "identical"...that's not actually the case. Very often, hardware and software components will vary to a surprising degree between one model number of console to the next. So, for example, a PS4 Pro made during the first month of production may have a totally different version of GPU from a totally different manufacturer than a PS4 Pro made during the second month of production. They're identical specs, but not identical hardware. This, of course, opens up a range of variables that means one PS4 Pro performs slightly differently than the next. Any problems introduced here might be murder to identify.

So, yes, it's perfectly possible for two players with "exactly the same stuff" to have two wildly different experiences. It may take a while to figure everything out. (Plus, these are my guesstimates. There will be plenty of factors I can't even imagine that are adding to the fun. :))

I want to add something on the PS4 configuration matter that SigilFey mentioned above.

There are indeed revisions of some parts on the PS4 pro and perhaps on the regular PS4 as well.

For example:

Sony Interactive Entertainment has changed the model number of the Jet Black PS4 Pro in Japan from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100

Sony and the house of PlayStation, clarified that the new model number was required due to an update in the internal components of the console.

That being said, they also made sure to specify that there will no change in actual features or specs for the PS4 Pro.

This change is in line with Sony’s model numbering standards, with incremental alterations in the second digit of the number indicating minor hardware updates that have no influence on the console’s performance and looks.

Normally this kind of change is made during the process of reducing the production costs of a console,
with new parts that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in to improve the margin per unit sale.

It’s an entirely expected procedure that is often done several times during the life cycle of a game machine.

I doubt it would make any difference on game-play though, as it seems the specs are identical right out of the BOX.

Of course nothing is written in stone, and it may or may not have something in common with the overall gaming experience whilst gaming.

That must to be seen, but obviously there is nothing that a developer can do on that matter.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Some additional changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/7bm5o3/ps4_pro_cuh7100_update/

Apparently, the original CUH-70xx had a double EMI shield underneath the board that was spreading heat from the APU to RAM.

https://imgur.com/a/P3Pdk

The new revision removed this double-shield and the RAM is now in direct contact with the single EMI-shield&heatsink underneath the board.

Besides this, the APU has a different model (don't know it its a different revision or not) and the optical drive controller changed from LSI to MediaTEk's MT1965AU.

https://translate.googleusercontent...0.html&usg=ALkJrhhZkHbewhcEx-NriNdokI5VfirlcQ

Last edited:
i have framerate problems as well in novigrad..big dips to 20 fps on my ps4 not pro.Cd project please fix this because the game is unplayable in novigrad.

mark5916;n9945521 said:
I want to add something on the PS4 configuration matter that SigilFey mentioned above.

There are indeed revisions of some parts on the PS4 pro and perhaps on the regular PS4 as well.

For example:

Sony Interactive Entertainment has changed the model number of the Jet Black PS4 Pro in Japan from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100

Sony and the house of PlayStation, clarified that the new model number was required due to an update in the internal components of the console.

That being said, they also made sure to specify that there will no change in actual features or specs for the PS4 Pro.

This change is in line with Sony’s model numbering standards, with incremental alterations in the second digit of the number indicating minor hardware updates that have no influence on the console’s performance and looks.

Normally this kind of change is made during the process of reducing the production costs of a console,
with new parts that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in to improve the margin per unit sale.

It’s an entirely expected procedure that is often done several times during the life cycle of a game machine.

I doubt it would make any difference on game-play though, as it seems the specs are identical right out of the BOX.

Of course nothing is written in stone, and it may or may not have something in common with the overall gaming experience whilst gaming.

That must to be seen, but obviously there is nothing that a developer can do on that matter.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Some additional changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comm...uh7100_update/

Apparently, the original CUH-70xx had a double EMI shield underneath the board that was spreading heat from the APU to RAM.

https://imgur.com/a/P3Pdk

The new revision removed this double-shield and the RAM is now in direct contact with the single EMI-shield&heatsink underneath the board.

Besides this, the APU has a different model (don't know it its a different revision or not) and the optical drive controller changed from LSI to MediaTEk's MT1965AU.

https://translate.googleusercontent....iNdokI5VfirlcQ

SigilFey;n9923401 said:
Of course, the plan is to fix it, but I'm not even sure if the cause has been found yet. It occurs in various ways on both PS4 and PS4 Pro. Some players see micro-stutter every few seconds across the board. Some people get a huge FPS hit only in certain areas. Some people seem to lag out only during combat. There is no single bug, as far as I know. Many people rectified the issue by reinstalling the game. Some people rectified it by rebuilding the database. Some people had to reinstall then rebuild. Some people had to rebuild first, then reinstall. For many people...none of that had any effect.

It's also not a result of "people aren't playing so they're not seeing it". I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but it's all down do some obscure issue or series of issues. At first, CDPR could not re-create the issue on any of their own PS4 / Pro systems. Most people aren't seeing it simply because most people experience no performance issues. Personally, I can't begin to imagine what it could be.

I'm honestly not sure why this isn't the case to begin with, but there must be some reason this is the case. I think it may be down to something in the way the PS4 OS works. I'm a PC guy; I can't really speak about the technical end of the consoles.

hello hello, it is me again!!

I have been playing around with my PS4 PRO options of output in video and sound and other things... now just decided to share this as it might be useful: I have a 3-4 year old Samsung TV which outputs to 1080p and it is a great quality image.

I have been reading about experiencing output issues with a new PS4 PRO... I decided to switch HDCP in the settings off (for someone who doesn't know what it is, it's a copyright security feature that helps against pirating, useless on consoles as it's video related)... anyway turning it off and now playing witcher 3 for about 4 hours I can say the game is running at about 90% perfection... no lagging cutscenes, the game seems to run really smoothly, except sometimes it takes more than a split second to load everything that appears on screen and maybe the sound crackles during a cutscene but it's so spread apart that makes you almost not notice it... almost...

What I also found is that if HDCP is a new release thing.. so if someone like me plays on an older TV that has no HDCP, having it on might be causing some of the issues?

It seems to have helped me and the game is just so much more enjoyable right now!!! It was lagging all over the place, sound crackling, game freezing BUT today after switching it off runs really well and I can play and have fun with it!!!!

Also worth mentioning I rebuilt database, re-installed the game etc.. didn't help...

So it made a difference for me, I hope it can make a difference for someone else... still hope the new patch fixes everything else

OH and yes, I rebuilt the database as mentioned, re-installed but always loaded the same game and the after disabling HDCP I also loaded the same game and it did improve..

All best,
The butcher of Blaviken

Last edited:
What could you expect for those pro Microsoft developers? They did a horrible port for Mac on Witcher and Witcher 2. Of course they blamed mac hardware on forums.

They do a shitty patch for PS4 and PS4 Pro almost 1 year from PS4 pro release. They have moderators blaming PS4 pro fault hardware and OS issues too now.

1 month from XBOX X release, they release a perfect patch for their loved Microsoft, with 4k mode, performance 60fps mode and HDR. No HDR and no performance mode for PS4 Pro.

I expect Pro and PS4 users remember this and the launch initial status of this game (20fps on PS4) when the next game for those developers release in the future.

The HDCP=Off trick doesn't work for me (still same crap with inventory and poor performance). When can we expect a PROPER fix for PS4 ? This is really disappointing, Christmas holidays is coming, people will have some time to play (that's what I intended to do) and ... Nothing. Why XboX got perfect patch while PS4 has problem - it is reported for almost 2 months and nothing happens.

davidmunozu;n10053661 said:
What could you expect for those pro Microsoft developers? They did a horrible port for Mac on Witcher and Witcher 2. Of course they blamed mac hardware on forums.

They do a shitty patch for PS4 and PS4 Pro almost 1 year from PS4 pro release. They have moderators blaming PS4 pro fault hardware and OS issues too now.

1 month from XBOX X release, they release a perfect patch for their loved Microsoft, with 4k mode, performance 60fps mode and HDR. No HDR and no performance mode for PS4 Pro.

I expect Pro and PS4 users remember this and the launch initial status of this game (20fps on PS4) when the next game for those developers release in the future.

Wait a moment Cowboy. lol

There will a patch for the PS4 Pro too. There is no doubt about that.

You can read more here:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...-is-out-additional-ps4™-pro-patch-coming-soon

Read the header of that topic. [h=1]Upgrade patch 1.60 for Xbox One X is out! Additional PS4™ Pro patch coming soon.[/h] So, just be patient!

Maybe we get a performance mode too, who knows? :D

mark5916;n10055701 said:
Wait a moment Cowboy. lol

There will a patch for the PS4 Pro too. There is no doubt about that.

You can read more here:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ch-coming-soon

Read the header of that topic. Upgrade patch 1.60 for Xbox One X is out! Additional PS4™ Pro patch coming soon.

So, just be patient!

Maybe we get a performance mode too, who knows? :D

Performance mode is not coming to Pro, they would have tell us already, they are ignoring people who is asking for this mode on twitter. HDR is coming on January, 15 months from PS4 Pro release. HDR is already on XBONE X, 1 month from the launch of console. PC even is not getting HDR.

This tell us, what users are important from those developers. XBONE >>>>>> Steam/GOG > PS4 users

I dont need HDR support, i need chose 4K Mode or Performance Mode ( like on xbox have). Game is unplayable on ps4PRO now for me. CDPRed please do something good.

keeper_d;n10063831 said:
I dont need HDR support, i need chose 4K Mode or Performance Mode ( like on xbox have). Game is unplayable on ps4PRO now for me. CDPRed please do something good.

Can you please be so kind, to show us a video (at least) on PS4 Pro that shows in which particular location the PS4 seems to perform badly?

Because unplayable means, that the game is not playable at all regardless the location or the quest you are in.

Or even better, you could report those issues straight to CDPR support on the following url:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

How to:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...96363-sending-ps4-save-files-with-bug-reports

Last edited:
Top Bottom