Question to DEVS about loot levelling - can it be turned off?

+
Question to DEVS about loot levelling - can it be turned off?

Will it be possible to disable loot levelling with a mod?

I am going to stop playing right now, because I discovered that all the equipment I found in white orchard really sucks compared to my first attempt, because I explored the world as level 1 character this time. Now when I level up and move to other locations I am underpowered because I have crappy equipment (or at least not as good as possible).

What is the point in having an open world, non-levelled monsters, if loot is restricted to crap? You already have level requirements on the better gear, so why on earth would you ruin the good gear that I can find by exploring? You don't want me to explore the world then? Seriously?

I am not going to play any more until this is fixed in some way, this is really a frustrating issue for me. If somebody knows how to turn this "feature" of, please tell!

I have a similar feeling, it quite destroys the purpose of open world freedom. I also have a question about item leveling, does it apply to crafting recipes? So if i found recipe for a witcher sword, does it scale with my lvl where i was when i've found it?

Guest 3825552

loot doesn't autolevel overall, I think there is some standard swords with same name that have different levels however such as Novigrad Sword etc.. You need to do some treasure hunts and get some decent diagrams to build some decent swords. Only some actual Quests will give you a sword worthy of using at early-mid levels 8-14.

Or at least restricted to the lvl of the quest, nor the monster level guarding the zone. Also, since lvl 20, I mostly only find stuff way under my lvl, which is kinda useless.
Challenge apart, killing high level monster does not bring a lot either (though doing the Morvudd contract on lvl 23 made an awesome battle, really had a blast with it).

Did you realize? even you got level 3000 item, you can't equip it anyway.....

And know what? you gonna became overburdened due to weight carrying, its not like this game have stash you can store the items anyway.....

And what more? You want awesome gears? go leveling up as you will get powerful things and stuffs by automatically.

WTF are you talking about? Best gear untill ~35 level is witcher crafted sets, don't see the problem with loot

Did you realize? even you got level 3000 item, you can't equip it anyway.....

But I can use it when I level up later, and then I know I will have a good weapon. Now when I level up I will still be stuck with lvl 1 gear. This really sucks.

And know what? you gonna became overburdened due to weight carrying, its not like this game have stash you can store the items anyway.....

But I can keep the one or two items that will be really great later. The rest I can sell. And probably sell for more money than the crappy lvl 1 equipment I got now.

And what more? You want awesome gears? go leveling up as you will get powerful things and stuffs by automatically.

If loot is mean to be completely useless, then why is it there in the first place? What is the point in discovering some secret treasure, if it's useless and worth nothing? That's not a treasure, that's a heap of trash.

If loot is mean to be completely useless, then why is it there in the first place? What is the point in discovering some secret treasure, if it's useless and worth nothing? That's not a treasure, that's a heap of trash.

Exactly. For example, in Gothic 3, their open world was a lot more rewarding, you could find a treasure which after lockpicking could give you some awesome unique item. In W3, all this has some "automatical" feeling, like "do quests in the only 'proper' order, wait 20 level to be able to wear an armor that you already have in your inventory (yeah...) and new strong items will appear automatically". You can't just for example, be lucky and find some great treasure hidden somewhere. All because of level scaling.
Same with monsters. In Gothic 1/2/3, if some monster was too strong to you, it just killed you in 1-2 hits and you knew to avoid it. We really don't need this bs RED SKULL which artifically blocks us form killing higher lvl monsters by fast regenerating HP, damage reduction, etc.

second that. exploring is not awarding in any way. eather you'll find immortal mob, eather you'll find high level diagram, that will be useless to you for another half of the game.

It's their first open world game, that's all I can say.
I agree that exploration is not rewarded at all, from the pointless loot to the fact you easily become over leveled for the quests.
At times I wish it had the same structure of the second game.

Having the same frustration with gameplay. Killing treasure guards that are 5 levels over the character level then consistently acquiring a piece of trash gear that's more than 5 levels below the character level is to politely understate it - unenjoyable.

Best gear untill ~35 level is witcher crafted sets
Not even close to true - the first Griffin gear quest is recommended character level 11 - did it at 9 - the sword diagrams only make level 7 swords with worse stats and fewer glyph slots than gear found during the level 5 storyline.
:facepalm:

Now at level 12 looking better gear finding level 15-18 opponents guarding level 3 to 5 gear or diagrams that can't be used for 5, 10, or more levels? *facepalm*

Some way to use the dismantle/crafting system to utilize rare components of trash loot to improve witcher or relic gear closer to the character level would be a massive improvement. Even if that took considerable effort it would appease those that don't want to simply take the powergamer advise of "just level up faster" - many us like to enjoy the journey, not rush to the end.

Sorry for the bump, but this thread is not just a complaint.

I would like to get an answer to my question: Will the modkit allow turning off the loot levelling? Is it hardcoded in the code, or is there some variable/setting that can be changed eventually? That's all I want to know.

If it can't be changed I'm going to give up on this game unfortunately :/

Having the same frustration with gameplay. Killing treasure guards that are 5 levels over the character level then consistently acquiring a piece of trash gear that's more than 5 levels below the character level is to politely understate it - unenjoyable.

Not even close to true - the first Griffin gear quest is recommended character level 11 - did it at 9 - the sword diagrams only make level 7 swords with worse stats and fewer glyph slots than gear found during the level 5 storyline.
:facepalm:

Now at level 12 looking better gear finding level 15-18 opponents guarding level 3 to 5 gear or diagrams that can't be used for 5, 10, or more levels? *facepalm*

Some way to use the dismantle/crafting system to utilize rare components of trash loot to improve witcher or relic gear closer to the character level would be a massive improvement. Even if that took considerable effort it would appease those that don't want to simply take the powergamer advise of "just level up faster" - many us like to enjoy the journey, not rush to the end.

You know that there are upgrades to the witcher sets?

Anyway I'd like to see a balance pass that addresses loot, loot levels, XP etc. but suspect it will be a community thing once the Redkit is released. Loot a couple or three levels below the nest/contract/treasure hunt would be better than scaled to the character, then you could get on level gear by taking on some higher level content.

I am going to stop playing right now, because I discovered that all the equipment I found in white orchard really sucks compared to my first attempt, because I explored the world as level 1 character this time. Now when I level up and move to other locations I am underpowered because I have crappy equipment (or at least not as good as possible).

What is the point in having an open world, non-levelled monsters, if loot is restricted to crap? You already have level requirements on the better gear, so why on earth would you ruin the good gear that I can find by exploring? You don't want me to explore the world then? Seriously?
Loot stats are semi-random, but always within so many levels of yours. If you're level 1, of course you're going to get low level loot. What did you expect? When you level up, you'll start to get better loot. I'm level 24 at the moment, sometimes I'll find level 17 equipment, sometimes I'll find level 24 equipment, and so on. White Orchard is pretty much a training area, you're not going to find super awesome stuff right at the beginning of the game, that comes later.

Some of the armour/weapon schematics (I forget what the in-game term for schematics is) I have at the moment are say, level 35. I don't see this as an issue, but rather something to work towards achieving.

That's the thing, no loot is useless. You either sell it, to make money for crafting/purchasing better equipment, or disassemble it for crafting components. The vast majority of the best loot in the game needs to be crafted by you. Level 17 'relic' loot is worth quite a bit, I've got an awful lot of money at the moment. Which wiill come in handy if I need to buy crafting components etc. to further improve my equipment.

TL; DR. Stop worrying about it and play more, you're right at the beginning of the game, better loot comes later.

Last edited:
You don't get it.

I play on death march. I have collected ALL the loot as level 1 character - I am not going to find more loot. I cannot yet leave White Orchard, because I still have to fight the griffin. I cannot win the griffin fight, because ALL my weapons are underpowered. On death march this really screws you over, if you don't have good equipment.

I would be (kind of) ok with finding higher level loot, and having it level restricted. Then at least I can use it later when I level up, and I won't miss out on anything. But now I get punished, because those level 4 swords I found in chests from my previous playthrough are all level 1 swords. And there is just no way to make them level 4 swords now.

This is a serious game breaker for me. I cannot move forward, and I can't get better equipment at this point.

And even if it wasn't such a game breaker - I want to be rewarded for fighting tougher monsters at lower levels, or find cool loot through exploring. If I know in advance that anything I come across will be AT MOST my level, why would I even bother exploring? It really takes away that sense of wonder about what I will encounter next.

It's just plain not fun.

Last edited:
You don't get it.

I play on death march. I have collected ALL the loot as level 1 character - I am not going to find more loot. I cannot yet leave White Orchard, because I still have to fight the griffin. I cannot win the griffin fight, because ALL my weapons are underpowered.

Viper swords are enough to kill the griffin on death march. If you can't, death march is just too difficult for you. Lower the difficulty.

Viper swords are enough to kill the griffin on death march. If you can't, death march is just too difficult for you. Lower the difficulty.

Perhaps you are right and the griffin can be killed - I must admit that I have not even tried yet, because I was having so much trouble just fighting the noonwraith. My starting silver sword does not deal enough damage to overcome the health regen. So I figured the griffin would be impossible too.

Still, it doesn't really matter, it really kills the enjoyment of exploring if all loot is going to be crap.

I just want the devs to confirm if this is a hardcoded feature, then I can move on from this game and won't waste any more time on this. It should be a really simple question to answer.

I don't get it. Let's say they do what you want and put items that are similar to the level of monsters around them in all these chests. Well now, you will have tons and tons of gear at lvl 10-18 and later on, almost nothing. How's that any better? What's the incentive to go and loot the chests when you know there will be nothing useful in them, once you get there? Right now, you know that when you loot the chest, there will most likely be something you can use, and should you be looking for an upgrade, you have a pretty nice chance that you'll find that upgrade there. And you also have a chance of finding a plan for an item, you can't really use now, but can perhaps craft and use after you get a few levels (or a plan for a completely useless item), 'cause plans don't scale. The only thing you need to do to enjoy the game is just NOT go around looting everything on lvl one. I mean, how does that even make sense? Some of these treasures are guarded by mobs on higher levels that you don't even want to fight on level one. And even then, you still have the plans.

EDIT. And I strongly believe that there is no "turning this off". Right now, the loot tables seem to be semi randomized. Should that change, someone would have to go and completely rework every single loot table of every single chest. And most likely manually add items 'cause I think, the chest doesn't exactly remember, what is the level of enemies guarding it.

Last edited:
wolverinejn: You are right, you don't get it.

I want loot to be fixed level, just like the monsters are. So some of the loot will be below level, some will be above my level, and some will be just right, depending on exactly where I go.

If the loot is fixed lvel like the monsters, then I won't miss out on good loot. I might not be able to use that lvl 20 sword right now, but when I get to lvl 20 later I can use it, and I won't be stuck with lvl 1 equipment.

Right now I am stuck with lvl 1 equipment, even though I am level 4 - because all the loot is gone. Thus if I explore at low level I can "destroy" good loot because if I take it it will be low level crap. When I level up later I will not have access to higher level equipment, except for crafting. This makes me want NOT to explore, because I will be stuck with crap equipment later in the game. NOT FUN.

This concept really isn't that hard to understand, is it?

EDIT: As far as I understand the weapons found in chests already have a fixed level set, but if you loot them below their level the equipment gets downgraded to your current level. This means I get punished for exploring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom