Randomly freezing for a couple seconds with sound then crash to desktop

+
Randomly freezing for a couple seconds with sound then crash to desktop

Greetings fellow witchers.

After finally upgrading my rig, I bought TW3 GOTY edition off Steam to enjoy an awesome game to its fullest.

Unfortunately I've had an issue that just won't go away, even though it seems fairly common :

After a while playing (roughly 1 hour), the game would freeze randomly, with sound still playing, and then crash to desktop (or if I alt tab right away while the image froze, it crashes the same way).
It's really random, can happen after 4 hours of intensive monster slaughtering, or after 1 hour and a half.

Luckily it's not extreme, I can play a few hours without a crash, but sometimes I get 2 crashes in 2 hours, I've learned to save often, and let the auto-save on as well.

Other that that, the game is running flawlessly, everything on ultra, hairwork off (nice but too much FPS hungry), between 90 and 130 FPS, smooth as butter, no stutter etc.

Here's my rig :

- Asus Strix GTX 1070 8gb (OC@2070/4600 and power limit/voltage at max)
- Intel i7 7700K OC@4.4ghz (not delidded) vcore@1.168
- Crucial Ballistix 3000mhz 2x8gb (XMP on)
- Samsung 850 EVO SSD
- BeQuiet Straight Power 10 600W 80+ gold
- Win 10 64bits
- Asus VG248QE 144hz 1080p

Using Afterburner to OC my GPU, so MSI AB and RTSS always run in the background.
Disabled EIST and other sh*t in the BIOS of course.

What I've tried so far :

- Forcing controller scheme
- Verified files integrity via Steam
- Downclocking CPU and GPU to factory values
- In the NCP : Setting max prerendered frames to 1, power at max perf, vsync on (off in game)
- Uninstalled any Xbox crap that's coming with Win10
- Uninstalled Geforce Experience
- Clean drivers install (using DDU)
- Disabling Steam overlay
- Putting Steam folder on the root of my SSD rahter than in program files x86
- Checking temperatures (GPU : 63-68°, CPU 49-65°)
- Checking my ram with Memtest86+, ran 10 hours without a single error with XMP on

I might have forgotten some stuff (since I've tried so much), I'll add it when I recall, do not hesitate to offer me some obvious solutions, I might have missed it.
Last thing I changed is setting the TextureMemoryBudget to 4096 (half my GPU's VRAM) from 800, we'll see if that fixes it even though I don't think it should.

I've played a lot of other games recently without issues, such as Mafia 3 (which is known to be CPU/GPU hungry as well), Darksiders, MGS 5 TPP, DmC, DB Xenoverse 2, Tales of Zestiria...
I also play Heroes of Newerth without issues.
This is really the only game that's crashing.

In the event manager, I only see that the display driver crash, not much more informations.

About the settings of the game itself, ticked off blur/motion blur, vignetting, chromatic aberration and hairworks.
Everything is on ultra but the shadows that are on high, unlimited frames, vsync off, fullscreen, and I play with a xbox360 controller.

Think that's all, if I eluded something, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for reading, and helping !

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums, Jujudlapampa!

To start with, try each of these things in order, testing the game after each one:

0.) Remove any and all mods.

1.) Be sure your installation does not fall anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). If so, follow these steps to move the entire Steam directory. (In general, I recommend not installing any games under either of these directories.) You'll likely need to verify the integrity of each game you have installed once after this.

2.) Set Permissions for the ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... directory to "Everyone".

3.) Install / repair Microsoft Redistributables:
Direct X 11 / 12
Direct X 9.0c
Visual Studio
2010 through the most recent (x86 and x64 versions of each)
Visual C++ 2010 through the most recent (x86 and x64)
.NET Framework
XNA Framework

4.) Run a verify of TW3 through Steam again here.

5.) Use CCleaner to scan for and fix Registry errors. Keep running the scan over and over again until the program reports "No conflicts detected". Then restart your PC. Run the scan repeatedly again. Keep this up until scan reports "No conflicts" immediately after a restart.

Let us know how that goes. Windows 10 Creator's Update is causing all sorts of unique issues for people, so also be sure you're staying current with Windows Update to see if the problem goes away. (Then I recommend completely disabling Windows Update altogether unless you encounter an issue -- most things the updates "fix" are security features or system functions that most users will never need to bother with.)

Hello.

Thank you for answering.
I already tried everything you suggested, although, since I changed the TextureMemoryBudget from 800 to 4096, it seems that the crashes went away, I've played several hours without a single crash.
Maybe it was luck, so I'll just wait a few more hours of gameplay to proclaim this issue fixed.

Top Bottom