Real baby Geralt

+
Besides, names have to come from somewhere. How many people put thought and meaning into it rather than buy a "baby names" book and throw a dart at it? And let's not even get into mutating or making up names. At least it's a name, and not "Apple" or "Snowflake" or something equally ridiculous. "Here, have a cigar to celebrate the birth of my son, Floor Mat!"--"and ALL names were made up at some point, so why get all het up about people making up new ones now?"Well, I didn't mean for it to come off like I was getting heated up about it, really. But a name like "Bryce" just makes my skin crawl, as an example.And a name that means something else - I have no problem with that, and that wasn't what I was saying anyway. Personally, I like the episode of "Friends" where Phoebe's boyfriend decides to call himself "Crap Bag."

Reminds me of the story of the parents who called their son "4real". Not exactly the name you'd want to carry around huh?I really think Geralt is a great name :)

"apple" and "snowflake" do sound pretty "flakey" in english, but i know for a fact that there is a (relatively) common name in lithuanian that means "snowflake" and i'm sure they don't think it's a rubbish name. and ALL names were made up at some point, so why get all het up about people making up new ones now? ... i can remember my grade 6 class where we had 7 michaels and 5 variations on robert in a class of 20 students ... made up names would have been a godsend for that poor teacher :)

On the other hand, my name really is Cory, and while it's not a "made-up" name, it was a very, very uncommon name when I was in school, *ahem* rather a large number of years ago. Teachers would squint at their class lists and ask if "Cary" was present, everyone wanted to give me an extra "e" and spell me "Corey," (I've had a girlfriend break up with me using that spelling of my name -- I mean, if you don't want me anymore, sure, you should break up with me, but geeze, you should spell a person's name right when you're breaking up with them. *grumble*), and the other kids acted like, "If your name is weird, you must be weird, too."There were a lot of times when I wished I were named Debbie or Susan.Of course, now I like having an unusual name, but going through childhood with a strange name can be rough. "Geralt" is a great name -- unusual enough that there won't be a dozen in every class (unless The Witcher REALLY catches on :) ), but ordinary enough that people won't constantly be asking "What the hell kind of name is THAT?"

Whisperwind said:
I'm a bit curious... :D you mean you break (or broke?) up with letters/notes or smth? :D
Ended our relationship by writing me a letter. (This is often called a "Dear John" letter in English.)

As some of you requested here's the update on my lil' Geralt. I don't know whether you have such tradition in your countries, but here in Poland, when a child starts a given education level - kindergarten, primary school, junior high and so on - there's this gala where all the kids are officially dubbed students. So here it is. My son is officially a kindergarten student.

*gasp* He's in kindergarten already? That's just astonishing! He doesn't look like a baby anymore; he looks like a little boy. So fast! They grow up so fast.

I wish your little Geralt the very best of luck as he embarks on this new adventure ... hopefully one without any monsters in it.

This I like!!!
Thanks Daerdin, he's as lovely as ever. Kidergarten student uh? Congratz, buddy! Hope you enjoy your time there!

Here, you both deserves a

I think Geralt is a grate middle name a lot of ppl name there child from books history and so on so
I don't think it strange at all to name your child Geralt hell my middle name is Augustus
and my Grand father name was Ishmael from Moby Dick

Congrats to you both . Lil Geralt for being indoctrinated in to the school of learning and to you Daerdin for being such a proud papa that you decided to share with us . Thanks

An kindergarten student? wooowww Sounds very important. Nice traditiom in Poland. Your 'lil Geralt has become a nice little boy.

Best wishes for little Geralt. :)

Here in Greece we don't have this custom, of course. Here, things are simple: parents just abandon their kids at the school gate, trying to forget them until the age of 18, when they will hopefully go to another city for the university years.

For some strange reason, I just read this entire thread. And I don't even like children. (But yours is lovely, of course.)

Daerdin, I am curious, do you actually call him Geralt in public and at home, or does his first name take precedence?

May he grow healthy and strong, morally and otherwise. :)

I saw this thread long back, surprise just popped up like after 3 years!
nice pic of your son mate, wish him all the best for the future :)

Hi there (again after a break). Here's a little update on my Geralt. Today there was this carnival fancy dress party at his kindergarten. When my son told me he wanted to be a knight I didn't expect he was talking about THIS kind of knight ;) Well, we need to start with something...

Daerdin said:
Hi there (again after a break). Here's a little update on my Geralt. Today there was this carnival fancy dress party at his kindergarten. When my son told me he wanted to be a knight I didn't expect he was talking about THIS kind of knight ;) Well, we need to start with something...

Aah, a Jedi, he wants to be. :)

Top Bottom