'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

I was about to ask the same, but then I realized it hardly even matters. Like I said, the term "RPG" is vague enough and I'm fully capable of imagining a competent RPG that doesn't even have levels.

Anyone claiming "it's not a good RPG without levels" is being a bit pedantic in my opinion and has a very narrow definition on a concept that's blown up to be ocean wide over the decades.

I just want CDPR to give us a few interesting mechanics that toy around with choice and how we define our character. I don't care if it matches anyone's definition of "RPG" and I'm giving CDPR leeway.

Would you open up a bit on what this phrase means to you people at CDPR?

I wondered it a year ago already when it was thrown around.

For us RPG means that it's not just telling a story, but letting players be a part of it. It's about character development and freedom of choice - making tough decisions and facing their consequences. It's everything you'd know from our previous games and more - since Cyberpunk allows us to explore entirely different setting and give you more freedom regarding customizing your character.

I don¨t need sauce. I know I'm right. CDPR had huge balancing issues so they removed it completely, you don't level up and your enemies don't have levels. Again it's not a coincidence that RPG was removed from the game description.

They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.

levels don't mean shit as to whether or not it is an RPG.

I was about to ask the same, but then I realized it hardly even matters. Like I said, the term "RPG" is vague enough and I'm fully capable of imagining a competent RPG that doesn't even have levels.

Anyone claiming "it's not a good RPG without levels" is being a bit pedantic in my opinion and has a very narrow definition on a concept that's blown up to be ocean wide over the decades.

I just want CDPR to give us a few interesting mechanics that toy around with choice and how we define our character. I don't care if it matches anyone's definition of "RPG" and I'm giving CDPR leeway.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just think claims such as those should always be followed by a source if they're to be taken seriously.

I don¨t need sauce. I know I'm right.

Which of course, makes us take what you have endeavoured to write down, all the more serious.

For us RPG means that it's not just telling a story, but letting players be a part of it. It's about character development and freedom of choice - making tough decisions and facing their consequences. It's everything you'd know from our previous games and more - since Cyberpunk allows us to explore entirely different setting and give you more freedom regarding customizing your character.

There's a few things I have PERSONAL HOPES for of course, like a system where a player who has put determined effort in speccing 'V' in a certain way despite the drawbacks, can access certain content where others can not - and vise versa. (Ala Fallout 2 and the Vampire games, of which the latter I'm happy to learn was an inspiration for you guys.)

Otherwise, the above description is good enough for me to meet realistic expectations. The term "RPG" summons far to many hopes and dreams. If you guys think you're up to something, go for it! I'll be there on the 16th of April with good hopes and confidence in your work.

Thanks for coming down here to clarify!

Last edited:
it does because it means you can't rush in anywhere you want and start shooting, you need to level up and spend time getting better gear. That element is now gone.
And having level-gated areas and content which practically leads to linear story is somehow.... good?
I recommend you update your definitions of what a RPG is. to 21st century.

There's a few things I have PERSONAL HOPES for of course, like a system where a player who has put determined effort in speccing 'V' in a certain way can access certain content where others can not - and vise versa.

While we're at it:
- No level scaling confirmed
- Character progression confirmed

When you add these two things together, you automatically get areas (or at least enemies) which are stronger and require investment in your character abilities and equipment. Simply to maintain interest. Its just that these areas won't be artificially gated behind a CHARACTER LEVEL. You can go there, have you ass kicked, go back to improving your character and then go back to that area again and win. There wont be invisible walls that prevent you from going from place to place.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand these profound differences in game design approach, and that this approach isn't any less of an RPG, it is more.

Last edited:
I don¨t need sauce. I know I'm right. CDPR had huge balancing issues so they removed it completely, you don't level up and your enemies don't have levels

For what it's worth, i know a lot of people would be very happy with that, myself included. However, levels per se are not a requirement for a game to be an RPG. The table top game (Cyberpunk 2020) dosen't have 'levels'.

What you could have done is removed levels by numbers and added titles instead.

For instance Level 1 would be "NewbToughie" and at this level you are recommended to do quest in districts/areas with this level indicator, going to the next Level (2) which is lets say "TuffEnuff" area would be a lot harder but still manageable but not recommended until you level up to "TuffEnuff" You can definitely go to the hardest district which most likely would be military grade lets say "Lionheart", but it would be suicide. This way you have a lot less levels to keep track of and balancing lets say the game has 6-7 areas. It also works through a story perspective, your first day in Night City you're not going to take down a conglomerate business in the "Lionheart" area you're gonna stick to the "NewbToughie" area doing low level stuff like eg robbing a liquor store or stealing drugs/money from a pusher on the street.
My system works.

What you could have done is removed levels by numbers and added titles instead.

For instance Level 1 would be "NewbToughie" and at this level you are recommended to do quest in districts/areas with this level indicator, going to the next Level (2) which is lets say "TuffEnuff" area would be a lot harder but still manageable but not recommended until you level up to "TuffEnuff" You can definitely go to the hardest district which most likely would be military grade lets say "Lionheart", you can but it would be suicide. This way you have a lot less levels to keep track of and balancing lets say the game has 6-7 areas. It also works through a story perspective, your first day in Night City you're not going to take down a conglomerate business in the "Lionheart" area you're gonna stick to the "NewbToughie" area doing low level stuff like eg robbing a liquor store or stealing drugs/money from a pusher on the street.
My system works.

There are plenty of level-less systems that work. I want to see theirs. If they indeed decided to go that way.

Could we stop inventing news from scratch like "levels have been removed"? That would be very appreciated and make people save some time instead of wasting it in fact checking. Thanks.

Red tracker brought me here, total regret.

Could we stop inventing news from scratch like "levels have been removed"? That would be very appreciated and make people save some time instead of wasting it in fact checking. Thanks.

we have a developer in this thread that has not refuted a single word ive said about levels being gone. they are gone.

Yeah, OK.

I hope that works in some form on the gameplay mechanical side too. RPG are generally known for their systemic approach to the world/narrative interaction too, afterall, and if the inspiration is 2020... well. You get it. ;)

We'll know soon enough through the media. Nothing concrete so far.

It's not like it was ever there... try not to twist the truth.

And indirect progression by improving character skills and items individually is how I want it anyway.

That's how leveling up in Shadowrun works, and it works quite well, so if that's what we're going to see in Cyberpunk, yay, team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom