'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw "levels are gone" I got excited, because I thought maybe it meant CDPR was taking some of our feedback into account.

As we sneak by guards, they all have "18" next to their names – most likely a level indicator.

You can use perk points earned on level-ups to upgrade a number of categories: blades, rifles, handguns, assassination, cold-blood, sniper rifles, engineering, hacking, shotgun melee, two-handed, and maybe one more I didn't have time to write down. The level-up skill tree is a branching thing that looks like a motherboard almost, with cables going out from the center.

A loading screen was shown just for fast travel.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/11/cyberpunk-2077-new-gameplay-details-from-the-e3-2019-demo

So, levels are still there (together with bullet sponges in case of higher levels, since that's how levels have always worked in any videogame), you unlock skills when levelling up (and not only via cyberware), fast travel is very classic (loading screen and that's it), I just need the confirmation that gear is level gated and contextual animations haven't been added since the old demo and all my biggest fears are reality (= none of my feedback was close to CDPR's ideas, which is fair): high suspension of disbelief is requied to play the game, immersion my ass. :cool:

We can assume that level cap will be around 35-40 like in TW3, if level 18 is mid game.

Referred to my last 10 months on the forum, just to be clear :)

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Maybe but heavily nerfed.
3. Most likely gone
4. Gone
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Yes
11. Yes
12. Yes
13. Yes through Ripperdoc
14. Maybe, more like adding mods to gear and weapons.
15. Yes
16. Yes

Where did you get this from? Youre not from CDPR...this is completely made up, right?

And some of us here have the same fears.

BUT ... FPS fans are no doubt thrilled.
Not really, FPS fans want realism. It's looter shooters fans who will be happy: levels that gate stuff, bullet sponges, weapons' DMG magically increased by perks... Nothing to do with call of duty or battlefeld, at all, neither with immersive sims.

Not really, FPS fans want realism. It's looter shooters fans who will be happy: levels that gate stuff, bullet sponges, weapons' DMG magically increased by perks... Nothing to do with call of duty or battlefeld, at all, neither with immersive sims.
I stand corrected!

I stand corrected!
It's funny, but for once in my lifetime, I think I'm witnessing a scenario where FPS and RPG can be on a similar side -- at least, RPG fans who liked the believability and dangerous nature of the PnP (no bullet sponges).

They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.
Why are you making stuff up? where's the source?
Where did you get this from? Youre not from CDPR...this is completely made up, right?
He's making stuff up. Just ignore him.

if by "RPG" we mean "ability to play and develop my character however I want" then I think CD Project got us covered. Watch the interview with the developer here: click

He explains that we (players) decide what character do we want to play and then we can build V accordingly. Also, he confirms that non-lethal approach is possible for the whole game.

I also don't see anything covering body sculpting, they removed appearance stat from the game too, now they removed levels? I don't see how the world is going to be reactive to WHO you really are and HOW you look at the time etc. There is 0 social aspect coverage at the moment, how is the world going to differentiate if you play a male or female VI, will we encounter sexism, or options to take advantage of our looks / gender / body mods etc. That takes a major part of RPG feeling out of the game.

As for balancing, sure, it's hard, CDPR games were never strong on that side, Witcher 3 was also poorly balanced, crafting highest stuff I had at the time in my list gave me enough stats to basically afk tank wild hunt in the end, finished the game on death march without (almost) using any decoctions and other pots.

Last edited:
They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.

I'm not in the FPS crowd, yet I'm complaining when "level up" (and worst:"Enemy with levels) is the way to progress.
Post automatically merged:

Miles Tost just confirmed attribute points are still in the game. and the world reacts to your build.

Eager to see that.

it does because it means you can't rush in anywhere you want and start shooting, you need to level up and spend time getting better gear. That element is now gone.

That's not one of the base of RPG. That's donjon-crawl.
RPG is about roleplay, and in roleplay if a character can logically (for the setting) do something, then he can do it, and that includes dying from an random kid shooting one lucky shot at you and you being able to you a Sniper Rifle to one shot a legendary mercenary.

Don't worry it will be an rpg with good story and fps action

I'm not worried about the story (CDprojekt is good at that), nor do I really care about FPP action (it will not be the first RPG with combats I don't like), I'm more worried about the game:
-Mistaking choices as actual social resolution without taking V social skills into account (or even worst: no social skills!:facepalm:).
-Failling to acknowledge my character build.

Last edited:
According to this video, or to be more precise the description below it, this game is action adventure:

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification...

So, is this an action adventure with some light RPG elements, or is it RPG with some action adventure elements?
Btw, this is how it is announced for the first time:

Don't mistake the whole conceptualization of a game for words chosen in marketing.
Almost every original book is called "novel" in marketing, because novels are known and sell better.

"Action-Adventure" sounds enticing to more people than Role-Playing-Game, because RPGs are still considered niché.
It's obvious that CDPR is trying to get the GTA-playing crowd in on CP2077.
Some will like it, choose standard-V and just play. Others will stop playing – just as statistics for Witcher 3 show, where people started for the whole "Game of Thrones-only interactive"-thing and then were demotivated by all the "gaminess".

"Action-Adventure" sounds enticing to more people than Role-Playing-Game, because RPGs are still considered niché.
It's obvious that CDPR is trying to get the GTA-playing crowd in on CP2077.
Some will like it, choose standard-V and just play. Others will stop playing – just as statistics for Witcher 3 show, where people started for the whole "Game of Thrones-only interactive"-thing and then were demotivated by all the "gaminess".

It has been called "action adventure" for years in Steam and Gog.com.

Nothing has changed. It is marketing speech since calling it merely "RPG" might scare away potential customers. Doesn't change it for what it is.
Besides, it IS an action adventure by every definition, just like Witcher was.

Besides, it IS an action adventure by every definition, just like Witcher was.

Well, when you have a wide understanding of the term action-adventure, almost every game is, even different games like Dark Souls and Spider-Man (PS4) – therefore we don't gain much by disputing what an "action adventure by every definition" is.
The thing is, The Witcher 3 has more RPG aspects than Spider-Man, and CP2077 has more RPG-aspects than The Witcher 3.

It is marketing speech since calling it merely "RPG" might scare away potential customers.

Well, yeah, I said that, so what's your point?

Yes it is very resembling of an action adventure (not much unlike games like GTA or Far Cry) with a narrative twist. Just like Witcher 3 was.

And you can scratch off that ”advanced RPG mechanics based on pen&paper RPG system” from the ”our promise” picture. That didn’t happen. The ”new standard” is also a bit questionable.

That doesn’t mean it can’t be a good game, though. It just doesn’t quite smell like a proper RPG whilst hovering on the borderlines with its design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom