Safehouses - yes or no? - or how to make them work?

+
For the sake of simplicity, I would be happy with a few 'themes' which I could also pick the colour scheme for.
Nice. I like the idea. =)

I am okay with safe houses, but nothing mandatory, i.e. I don't want to pay for housing which I don't want. Let nomads be nomads.
For a Nomad, I think they'd be less about "safehouses" as they would be about "weapon / supply caches" scattered about the map, with a GPS waypoint to lead 'em back to them.

Heh. This reminds me of the Night City handicapped parking sign. Lessee if I can find it...

Ah, here we go:

Okay, how about this idea: if we got crib customization levels like in SR2 what if, instead of having three levels of general style (ratty, modern, pimp) we would have general styles that revolve around the different cyberpunk subgenres. Imagine this:

-You buy a garage, you have three general style options, all of them have the same disposition of furniture etc. but they look different and have different motives. The options are:
- Dieselpunk.
- Biopunk (you kind of wonder if this is a cybergoth disco and also what the heck is that green thing glowing in those barrels).
- Postapocalyptic dusty hangar.

- You buy a penthouse, the options are:
- Cyberprep.
- Atompunk.
- Decopunk.

- You buy a hotelroom (not a coffin):
- Steampunk inspired.
- Decopunk.
- Postcyberpunk.

- You buy a nightclub:
- Biopunk nightclub.
- Tron inspired arcade.
- Splatterpunk gentlemen's club (yuck!)

This counld let people who are more fans of these other genres to enjoy these settings AS IF they were aesthetics and ideas for interior design (and fashion) instead of it corrupting the world as a whole. Their safehouses could be a sanctuary in more than one way.
Then we can fine tune two or three elements like how we did in SR2 with commodities such as bed, home cinema, table, dancepole, piano... maybe you can give "a paintjob" to your vidphone so that it looks like one out of Johnny Mnemonic or 2001, or so that it looks like the old phones in Texhnolyze or Dark City. Maybe you can swap your pop art collection of cows painted like they were Munnys for gynoids or "bacon statues" (anatomical studies) or medieval and samurai armors. Oh, and windows that display a pleasant view instead of that of a rainy Night City (the virtual fish in GITS, or a similar scene in SAC 2nd GIG)... maybe your room doesn't even have real windows!

Nice topic and great ideas, the only thing i can imagine as a safehouse would be something like the Pen&Paper game "Cypher", though it's described, you can still get an idea of what the room looks like, look it up on Youtube, i'm sure you will find something that showcases it.

If you don't know what i am talking about, maybe something like Deckard's appartment in "Blade Runner", that warm feeling of being in your space, in the cold and hard city, somewhere you can rest, watch TV, work, eat, do everything a normal person would do, even shower, and go to the toilette.

If this game is going to have some realism in it, then it should be well done, unless CD is planning on adding realism on parts of the game that are more important.

I want to have many housing options but i also want a really, really secret safehouse.. A place that no one can find you.. Like the sewer safehouse in the "Freedom Fighters" game:

I hate give this example, but ninja turtles safehouse.. (dammit)

You should still be able to furnish (get a fixer and get the electricity, clean water and net connection going) it and it should have an entrance like this:

By the way, depending on who you piss off, they should be able to find where you live and attack you there.. Unless it is a really secret place or you are on the move.. And having an house and visiting, even sleeping there should have real benefits.)

Please have bills to pay, if there is some sort of renting out/making money off properties mechanic, otherwise gaining mass sums of money is too easy.

We certainly do need safe houses. As in boltholes, where to go and lick your wounds after your main pad has been assaulted by those covert ops guys intent to turn you into kibble.

Maybe at the start of the game, you don't have any safe house at all. Maybe you just crash as a coffin hotel or in a squat until you can afford to get a safe house. There should be at least one in each area of the city, from a coffin near the airport to a penthouse with is own AV pad. I'm fairly easy about customizing the decor, but I think it could be cool to get it set up how you wanted. Especially if you can 'sell yourself' as a different person occasionally. Say for some missions you could sell your services as a heavy hitter. You could have one safe house set up to suit that 'role'. Another, maybe you act like a courier, so another safe house could be detailed to reflect that 'role'.

One need to have an attached garage, while some safe houses could simply be a garage with nothing other than space for a vehicle (ok, maybe a crashpad in the corner on the floor).

At least one feature should be customizable for the safe houses. Security. Different types of locks (both mechanical and electrical), passive alarms (beeper in your pocket goes off when someone trips an alarm at your safehouse), active alarms (drop down miniguns, armed remotes, cyberforms). These could all be upgradeable too. That minigun may start off as a tiny .22 but could end up being 7.76 or larger.

One option which would be cool would me a Bodyweight life support machine for those lengthy data dives. While being guarded by your custom cyberform.

We certainly do need safe houses. As in boltholes, where to go and lick your wounds after your main pad has been assaulted by those covert ops guys intent to turn you into kibble.

Maybe at the start of the game, you don't have any safe house at all. Maybe you just crash as a coffin hotel or in a squat until you can afford to get a safe house. There should be at least one in each area of the city, from a coffin near the airport to a penthouse with is own AV pad. I'm fairly easy about customizing the decor, but I think it could be cool to get it set up how you wanted. Especially if you can 'sell yourself' as a different person occasionally. Say for some missions you could sell your services as a heavy hitter. You could have one safe house set up to suit that 'role'. Another, maybe you act like a courier, so another safe house could be detailed to reflect that 'role'.

One need to have an attached garage, while some safe houses could simply be a garage with nothing other than space for a vehicle (ok, maybe a crashpad in the corner on the floor).

At least one feature should be customizable for the safe houses. Security. Different types of locks (both mechanical and electrical), passive alarms (beeper in your pocket goes off when someone trips an alarm at your safehouse), active alarms (drop down miniguns, armed remotes, cyberforms). These could all be upgradeable too. That minigun may start off as a tiny .22 but could end up being 7.76 or larger.

One option which would be cool would me a Bodyweight life support machine for those lengthy data dives. While being guarded by your custom cyberform.

i want all of this

I feel that safehouses are very much part of the theme and a useful addition to the game but after 12 pages of replies, I feel like we aren't defining what a safehouse is! At the very least, lets not define it as your "crib" from Saints Row (except maybe the first one). A safehouse would be a shitty place for all but the most well off runners. It is not your intentional place of residence. It is where you hide, keep a few things, and retreat to when something bad happens.

To quote the Oxford English Dictionary: "a house in a secret location, used by spies or criminals in hiding."

Should they be in the game? Yes. Should I have polished brass atompunk/dieselpunk/steampunk interior, a bar, a guest room, elaborate drapery, a robotic servant that acts as my interior decorator that has a menu of things I can buy to make it look like a penthouse? Probably not. I'm not saying it shouldn't be customizeable, but previous posts in this thread have gotten off topic from the idea of a cyberpunk safehouse and more onto interior decorating for a nice home.

Top Bottom