Save file location and transfer question

+
If you have a broadband connection then another option would be to attach it to an email and email yourself a save game, or even upload it to your webspace as pretty much all isp's come with a decent amount of webspace these days. But, as already recommended above, a simple USB thumstick is ideal, especially as they're so cheap.

I though Microsoft provided a utility to migrate user data from the old PC to the new one (a 'wizard'). If you do that, the Witcher files ought be part of what is migrated. If not, you are probably missing a whole bunch of other stuff too. The Wizard has various options (at least the XP ones does) - LAN, floppy, serial connection, and probably thumb drive and CV is in there too someplace..

Ok guys, imma sound crazy but....I installed the witcher, all fine and dandy, save games in the normal 'my docy' location.I format, reinstall the game as normal. Now heres my problem.....The save games are located in ONE location. That is, the root game folder. C:\program files\The witcher\the witcher\savesThis is so annoying. Anyone that plays the game on my computer has to share the same folder (even though they're on their account). I have no idea why. I reinstalled 4 times, and on different partitions, with and without the 1.2 patch..... nothing.How do I get the save games back to the normal 'my docys' location?Thanks in advance,Monnewbie

First, a small description of my setup: Windows XP SP2, with the 'My Documents' folder moved to a separate partition, which I named 'Documents' (So the location of My Documents is actually E:\Documents\My Documents). This folder originally had 'The Witcher' folder in the location E:\Documents\The Witcher and everything worked smoothly. This obviously won't apply to everyone, since probably most people won't have the 'My Documents' folder set up the same way as me, but maybe this will help someone else out.I just upgraded my graphics card to an 8800 GT. The only thing I changed in my system was the graphics card (of course, I also uninstalled the old drivers and installed the latest when I got the new card in). Anyway, when I fired up the game, I had no saved games available. I thought "What the hell?" I had 8 or 10 saved games before upgrading the card.So, I looked in the 'Documents' partition and into 'The Witcher' sub folder. In there was my 'Saves' folder. Opened it up and sure enough, the games were there. Figuring it was just an odd glitch that I couldn't see them, I fired up the game again. Still no saved games. So I played through the prelude for a few minutes until i got an Autosave to fire. Then I quit. Looking further, it seems the game created a second 'The Witcher' folder (I don't know if it was created as soon as the game fired up or once the Autosave fired) in the 'My Documents' folder. Looking in that folder, there was another 'Saves' folder as well. Inside that was my single Autosave game. So, I went to my original 'The Witcher' folder and copied all my saves into the new one's Saves folder. Fired up the game, and all my saves are now available to be used.Anyway, I realize this is a rather specific situation, but maybe it will help others out that have a similar setup and suddenly find they can't access their saves after upgrading their graphics card (or for whatever other reason).

Hello.My girlfriend plays this game (I'm going to try it soonish "when I got more free time"). Anyways - she's been playing the game for some hours and was devastated today when she was going to play some more, because all of her save files had disappeared. She has not installed any new hardware or software recently (the computer is a new one as well). I tried to poke around in the different The Witcher folders but could not find the save files, hence I went here to check it out and found your post. Sounds like your advice will do the trick and I will try it tomorrow morning. Thanks alot for sharing the info!Edit: I am pretty sure she renamed her Documents folder as well at some point during initial installation of software (as I mentioned she got a new computer). Maybe that is the key to this problem?

Did she just move the folder or actually rename it to something completely different? Mine was simply moved to a larger partition (because some of my games want to use the My Documents folder for saved games and you can quickly run out of room on your OS partition in that case. Also, I just think it's a good idea to have it on a separate partition).Anyway, if she actually renamed it, then that may present a problem, I don't know for sure though. If she simply moved it, try looking on the root of the partition she moved it to for a folder named 'The Witcher'. Inside it there should be a 'Saves' file with all her saves.One other possibility, and I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I think I recall reading that if you have too many saved games, the game may just wipe them all out. Again, I don't know if that's true or if I'm just recalling incorrectly. But it seems to be a good idea to keep only a few saved games anyway, as it seems to slow down your load times.Good luck with it!

I think she renamed it before the folder itself was created. :-\ Well I don't really know to be honest. Anyways we found that the game had created another folder for the saves, without the game making an autosave. So we just moved the old save files to the new folder and everything works perfectly now. :)

Can anyone help please? I had to do a clean install of XP and moved the saved game files from last install to a USB drive. Now I want to move them back again so I can reload my last save when I play the game but can't remember which folder they stored in in the Witcher directories...Many thanks in advance :)

Probably this was already explained on the forum, but i just can't find it back...I'm getting a new PC which will run vista, i want to transport my savegames ( from an XP PC) to the new onewill this work? I heard the files were different...Also do savegames still work after patching?

The Witcher is problematic running on Vista. You won't like what you get at all. Saved games can be copied wherever you want them to be, even if it's that POS, Vista.

Hi all,My save game files are being saved to C:\The Witcher. Does anyone know how I can move the save file location to a less obtrusive location?Thanks!

Only thing you can really do is move the My Documents folder if your saves are there. If they are saving in the Witcher directory, it is probably a glitch in the last installation. I'd recommend backing up all your current saves and then reinstalling, and seeing if it puts the save files directory in My Documents. If it's still an issue, perhaps it's because the game must be installed in Program Files.

I think it uses the registry for finding "My Documents" (guideline from Microsoft on WinXP and onwards to guarantee ability to save files), which means you have that mapped to C:\ :eek:.Anyway, you can always move saves you don't need ATM to another location. I'd recommend you to do that anyway since the loading of save/load screens become much quicker that way.

I find saving games in 'my documents' a real nuisance. I have a 250GB 'games drive' where I want to save them (like all other games). My Documents is on a a small 25Gb drive which I use to store all stuff I want to keep long term and back up which I do regularly. The game fails/crashes when the saved games fill my drive and also my back up has increased in time and space - a double whammy!. What is the rationale for using this folder rather than one with the game?

Top Bottom