Save file location and transfer question

+
Hi to all :wave:I'm new here so no offend if i mess up something. I need a little help, i play witcher before some time but now i clean whole computer. But i left save games from witcher. And they are in directory My Documents The WItcher Saves (and then all saves I have). But when I install game, I cant run this save-games. Can I get a little help about this? Tnx all

LordBreaker said:
I'm new here so no offend if i mess up something. I need a little help, i play witcher before some time but now i clean whole computer. But i left save games from witcher. And they are in directory My Documents The WItcher Saves (and then all saves I have). But when I install game, I cant run this save-games. Can I get a little help about this?
When you say that you can't run the saved games, do you mean that they don't show up on a list of games that you can load, or do you mean that when you click on one in the load list, it doesn't work? And if it's the latter, what happens when you try to load one -- does it just sit there, load forever without stopping, crash to desktop, what?In XP, saved games are at C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves, but it sounds like you've found that directory. Are your saved games from the same version of the game as the one you have installed now? Demo games don't work with the full version of the game, and a game from the original version of the game might not run with the Enhanced Edition.

I don't see them when I run Witcher And game and saves are the same version. When I start witcher I see only to start new game, i don't see load. But i was in trade quarter, and i don't want from beginning again.... Tnx for help

LordBreaker said:
I don't see them when I run Witcher And game and saves are the same version. When I start witcher I see only to start new game, i don't see load.
Are you running XP or Vista?
But i was in trade quarter, and i don't want from beginning again.... Tnx for help
No, I don't blame you! When you open up your C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves directory, what files are in there, and what do they look like?Look at the attached screenshot -- this is what it looks like when I open that file. In the section on the right, you can see that a saved game from the Trade Quarter should be fairly large, and in the section on the left -- and in the box at the top -- you can see the path to that directory.

LordBreaker said:
but now i clean whole computer. But i left save games from witcher. And they are in directory My Documents The WItcher Saves (and then all saves I have). But when I install game, I cant run this save-games
Did this 'cleaning the whole computer' involve a change of operating system?? If you've switched between XP and Vista then the fles may need to be moved for use by user programs. One simple suggestion - start the game and create a new saved game. Where does that get stored (use the Windows search to find the newly created file)?? If it isn't in the same directory as your existing saves, then move them there and you should be good to go.

I have XP , and savegames look as your on screenshot. Should I copy this savegames to witcher directory where I install it ?

LordBreaker said:
I have XP , and savegames look as your on screenshot. Should I copy this savegames to witcher directory where I install it ?
The directory where you installed it? If you mean the directory in Program Files where the rest of the game is, no, they don't go there. If you mean the C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves, then yes, that's where they go.CessPitts' suggestion is a good one. Start a new game, save it and quit, then find the save file -- this is where your old saves go.

The loading issues I'm having are not related to the actual load screens. Once I get to the loading screens, the game loads fairly quickly. The problem I'm having is the amount of time it's taking to even get to the loading screens. When I'm trying to load a game, either from the main screen or from within the game (i.e., after dying) it takes several minutes for the saved games screen to appear. As I said, once I select a game to load, it loads quite quickly. I also experience a pretty long (but not quite as long) wait time when I save a game. Using quick save works fast/fine. I am playing the EE on Windows XP wth a GeForce 7800GTX and 4GB of RAM.Any input is appreciate. Thanks!

amorphous said:
The loading issues I'm having are not related to the actual load screens. Once I get to the loading screens, the game loads fairly quickly. The problem I'm having is the amount of time it's taking to even get to the loading screens. When I'm trying to load a game, either from the main screen or from within the game (i.e., after dying) it takes several minutes for the saved games screen to appear. As I said, once I select a game to load, it loads quite quickly. I also experience a pretty long (but not quite as long) wait time when I save a game. Using quick save works fast/fine.
How many saved games do you have? The game looks at every saved game in the saves file when you load or save a game, and since the saved game files for this game are BIG, that can take awhile if you have more than a handful of saved games.I don't recommend deleting any saved games, because the saved game files sometimes become corrupted for no apparent reason, and one has to revert to a previous save. BUT, you don't have to keep them where the game can see them unless you're planning to load them.Go to where your saved games are stored. In XP, this is C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves. Move all but the last two or three saved games to another folder, then start the game again. If you've had a large number of saved games in your saves folder, you should see a noticeable improvement in loading and saving times.Save early and often, just don't keep those files in a place where they'll slow you down.Have fun!

i have a virus on my pc and i need to f disk the system and start over. i need to copy my saved witcher games to disk but cant find them in my program files folder. what is the name of the folder they are saved into during game play.

Hi folks, I have scanned the forums and am unable to find someone with my problem, so here goes: When I hit "Load Game", it takes over 10 MINUTES for the list of saved games to populate. Should I go back and delete old saves so that this doesn't happen, or does that have nothing to do with it? Any help would be appreciated. I have Version 1.5, the appropriate hotfix, and the latest graphic drivers. My system is as follows:Vista 32-bitCore 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHZ2GB RAMGeForce 8800GTS

I do believe that I've heard (read) of the problem.If I remember correctly, all you would have to do is either delete a few save games or simply put the bulk into another folder.

Ok, I looked in my saved games folder....it was 14 GIGS. I've not had the problem I mentioned with any other game, where I needed to manually delete prior save files. In any case, I deleted 13.7G of old material, and the list populated instantly :). Thank you for the input.

Hi, I am just preparing my self to install my copy of the Witcher Enhanced Edition from my old XP laptop onto a new Windows 7 64-bit version Desktop. I want to transfer my saved games etc. Is this possible or am I looking at a world of hurt? Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. TIA :-\/LE:Hey all please ignore, I have just seen the post up higher in red dealing with this issue. Sorry to be a pain. :-[[mod]use the MODIFY button[/mod]

Top Bottom