Save files are corrupted

+
Some report getting their save files corrupted when theyre smaller, i.e 4mb
maybe thats some other problem but we are certain that if your save file get over 8 MB it gets corrupted if you wanna prove me wrong send me a 9MB save file. Also it is caused by playing game so much that you exceed a limit and fastest way to get to it is crafting which is a playstyle that is included in the game. We don't want them to fix it today but if they are not going to fix it there is no way you can have a 200+ hour save file.

this problem exists in countless games, it's normal to wait minutes for a save to load nowadays. the only difference here is the game locks out files over 8MB instead of taking forever to load them. I'm not saying this was a good move by CDPR (it wasn't) but it sounds like some bullsh!t management forced the devs to put in. no developer would do that because they wanted to

Last edited by a moderator:
this problem exists in countless games, it's normal to wait minutes for a save to load nowadays. the only difference here is the game locks out files over 8MB instead of taking forever to load them. I'm not saying this was a good move by CDPR (it wasn't) but it sounds like some bullsh!t management forced the devs to put in. no developer would do that because they wanted to
I really wonder how anyone can ever think loading a save for several minutes would be worse than outright invalidating it forever, trashing potentially hundreds of hours. If this was indeed a conscious decision on their part, I'm flabbergasted.

And no, this problem doesn't exist in countless games. That's simply not true.

Does anyone else experience a 1 to 2 second freeze whenever they load a save file? I have over 100+ hours of playtime and my save file is about 5.5mb in size. I am starting to get the feeling that my save file is in the process of becoming corrupt as well. My game has been performing very strangely recently. More flickering than usual. I also encountered places in the game that will 100% crash my game whenever I get near them. Performance seems worse than it used to be.

I hope the 1.05 update is going to fix the memory leak, or whatever it is that is causing the FPS to drop over time. Hopefully better performance overall.

The unfortunate truth is that the devs already have their hands full after the stunt Sony pulled by taking their game off the store page (oddly enough, they did not do this for games that were even worse on their day 1 releases such as Mass Effect Andromeda, NMS or Fallout 76). They've basically forced the devs to fix the ps4/ps5 versions of the game before anything else...all so that they can point the finger at CRPD and put all the blame on them instead of their overpriced toasters they call 'next gen consoles'. On top of that, this is probably not something that can be easily fixed and might even be a symptom of an even larger problem.
Sony pulled the stunt?
If the game was working so bad on base PS4 and Xbox they shoudnt have release that. Only for PS5 and XSX and spend 2 weeks more for PS4 and old Xbox.
CDPR pulled the stunt by releasing 1.0 version. 1.04 and 1.05 works a lot better and it took what? A week to make them?

This is a serious issue that must be fixed. Any notion that players shouldn't craft as much as they wish is ridiculous- the final perk in the crafting tree encourages players to craft items for moneymaking purposes. Also, this is a game that serves players their final open-world save following completion of the main questline, encouraging them to continue roaming the endgame.

1.) Avoid that issue, if we can, and try to figure out what's causing it. There's probably a way to work around or fix it, but it will likely take time.

This bug can be triggered within the designed limitation. You will need tons of materials and millions of eurodollar to get 20 levels in crafting and buy all the vehicles. So it has to be fixed.

Don't know if you have any experience in software engineering. Devs are also mortal, so they make mistakes. This is a mistake, and IMHO a severe one in open world games. Let's say there IS a way to work around it, and they SHALL make a commitment on it.

Holy shit that is embarassing. The list of fuck ups continue to grow. Man, I regret buying this game.

Right. I do think that after a message like this, it's important to state who you are angry at. It should be the people that want to see money. Those are the people that you can point your anger at.

EDIT: and to clarify; Eventhough I thoroughly enjoy this game, I do understand your sentiment.

It makes this tweet from their QA Lead a little suspect, to be honest, but maybe I'm just being overly wary and this bug was introduced in later builds than the one he playtested. Whatever the case, I'm hoping they'll address this issue in a hotfix sooner rather than later, coz I'm not keen on spending Christmas with a metaphorical Sword of Damocles atop my save files.

It makes this tweet from their QA Lead a little suspect, to be honest, but maybe I'm just being overly wary and this bug was introduced in later builds than the one he playtested. Whatever the case, I'm hoping they'll address this issue in a hotfix sooner rather than later, coz I'm not keen on spending Christmas with a metaphorical Sword of Damocles atop my save files.

Play testing usually has goals. There might be full playthroughs, but those take a lot of time. Play testing is usually done to check if a certain mission works, or if added items do the things they need to do. They can create new characters for that and sometimes a test requires a new character. Simply cheat your way to a level that makes it playable and is the level you are expected to be and tada; let's test this.

Testing for 175 hours makes me definitely feel like there wasn't a 100% done on that account, or it was the only thing that was done and then it's definitely possible that you haven't encountered this bug yet.

Mind you; There are a lot of people out there that are way over 100 hours played and haven't encountered this bug. It's always tricky to indicate how big a problem is, because you're easily swayed to "This problem is huge! Look at all the 10 people that are reporting this right now! They aren't talking about anything else!", while in reality the other 100.000 players don't (EDIT: or haven't yet) encounter(ed) this problem.

As long as people are talking about playstyles, i want to chip in.

I've specced mostly into body and intelligence. I punch stuff and i hack stuff.
I barely use weapons at all, nor craft anything. My save file is currently at 5.1 MB and this bug has me too scared to keep playing. Steam says 121 hours although im fairly sure that's counting a lot of time i've spent with the game running in the background, tabbed out doing other stuff, actual playtime is probably half of that

To people saying "dont craft too much" - theres a whole character tree that is DEDICATED to crafting. The way it works - stats on crafted items are RANDOM, you are SUPPOSED to craft HUNDREDS of items to get the rolls you are looking for.

With perks that give more components for disassembling and perks that reduce crafting cost/have a %chance to craft for free, you are ENCOURAGED by game design to craft for profit. In fact the LEVEL 20 CAPSTONE for crafting is "Improve sale price of crafted items".

Using crafting system as intended is not the user's fault. CDPR needs to fix the savegame issue

Seriously CDPR this must be a f****g joke? After 55 hours my save is already 4.50mb and i only crafted ammo and few weapon upgrades. Main story is just beginning of chapter 2.

Does anyone else experience a 1 to 2 second freeze whenever they load a save file? I have over 100+ hours of playtime and my save file is about 5.5mb in size. I am starting to get the feeling that my save file is in the process of becoming corrupt as well. My game has been performing very strangely recently. More flickering than usual. I also encountered places in the game that will 100% crash my game whenever I get near them. Performance seems worse than it used to be.

I hope the 1.05 update is going to fix the memory leak, or whatever it is that is causing the FPS to drop over time. Hopefully better performance overall.

The black screen hang before the actual load occurs basically after 5mb file size. As the file gets larger, that black screen lasts longer before the save loads.

I searched black screen and such with no information found. I was up to about a 2 minute wait the day my game corrupted. I was saving 1 manual save over and over and relying on auto saves and quick saves during my sessions to prevent myself from changing decisions and because some games in the past had problems with the number of save files past a certain number.

Wish I had known in advance that 8mb and crafting were problems. So at least you are catching it now before your save is too large. Save lots, and in multiple files.

As for the crashing, not sure about that one. Think that's a completely different problem. But the black screen before loads is definitely the save file size.

I'm really getting upset to some of the people telling us that we use an exploit so that's why our file size is getting big. No we didn't cheat or use an exploit. We just took advantage of our crafting perks and attributes. It's hard to even reach high level crafting if you will not craft-dissamble stuff for components and upgrading all your iconic weapons. And to the others saying just not craft stuff then why make the crafting tree in the first place if the game can't handle it? The way the crafting perks built really encourages you to craft junk and sell/disassemble it. This is really a game breaking bug.
Post automatically merged:

Apparently, CDPR are planning to release a large patch that "should be a major fix to address customers' concerns about Cyberpunk 2077." on the 21st.

Hopefully that addresses the 8MB save bug, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm losing hope that this will get fixed within the year since it's the holiday season now and for sure this will be a big problem for completionists after a few more weeks if not fixed. I think the patch this article is saying is for 1.05. And the next patch is gonna be for January (unless some miracle happens). If left unchecked I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be a bigger problem sooner or later. Since people with saves nearing the 5.5mb-8mb mark will get conscious about their saves (i'm gonna stop playing it for now since I'm on 5.2mb) and it will be even impossible for people with crafting builds to play end game content if their gonna release some in the future.

Last edited:
so i am a compulsive saver due to my history of playing hard games, and I never delete the saves, and I also did some "abusive" crafting for mats recently so I am in a unique position of having some solid data to look at over this issue.

i only crafted a few items in bulk - first combat amplifiers (not a huge amount of these), then inhalers/grenades which was the majority of it. my current save is 3.4MB, and I looked at all of them in order and only saw a significant jump in file size at one point (attached).

these were my first saves with bulk crafting, and they only seem to jump when I hit a new "high" count, which was never over 7-6k in green and white mats, or 3-4k in blue mats. after this I still did maybe 2-3 more bulk batches as time went on using inhalers/grenades, but without the file size being noticeably impacted as I didn't let the totals exceed 4-7k before disassembling or selling.

so using my experience for what i was doing in game and my pattern of file sizes, this leads me to two possible explanations around what the issue potentially is:
  1. when your stacks of items reach new high counts the file sizes really jump, or
  2. (more likely) since bullets are not impacted by this, maybe inhalers and grenades are also not impacted by this (ie: all consumable type items) as that's the only other way to explain my data. the only time i crafted/disassembled combat amplifiers is also the only time the file size really jumped
option 2 also really makes sense as all mods/attachments/cyberware are all complex items that can have their own stats on them. this would explain why each mod item needs its own unique ID in the save file, this is the only way to handle additional item stats and is the same method used for any other video game, or any other computer program that exists. items like consumables usually cannot have additional stats and would not need unique ids attached to them, just counts of how many you have. i am a developer professionally (but not with games) so this is how i came to this conclusion.

so it's my hypothesis that people bulk crafting complex items like guns, mods and cyberware are the ones experience this issue most severely, and people bulk crafting only consumables/ammo/nades or not bulk crafting at all are not affected

i've thought about this more and think i found an easy way to tell if a crafted item will cause bloat. basically any item that can only be disassembled one by one will likely cause file bloat, since this is a complex item with unique attributes like a gun or cyberware and mods. items that can be disassembled on an entire stack (like nades and healing) are likely a single item ID.

so avoid crafting of items in bulk that can't be disassembled in a stack would be wise until this is fixed

Last edited:
This is the second hottest topic guys, who would have thought that a bug like this got this much attention. Well people who actually gave hours and dedicate them selves to this game did. People who bought this game and want to explore everything in it did. This not only concerns players who craft primarily but it also concerns the ones who aim to go for 100%. This bug will be a bigger problem in holiday season when people have nothing else to do on their vacation. I believe CDPR already on it and will probably give us what we want just not when we want but when we need it the fix will be there. Happy holiday season for everyone

Top Bottom